Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #181  
Chuggin' along...

Today I had a variation of a paleo recipe like this "oatmeal minus the oats" for breakfast using 2 eggs, medium banana, 2 T ground flax, cinnamon and vanilla, made in the microwave and stirred often. With coffee this has 335 cals, 20 g protein, 16g fat, 7 g fiber. Should be filling, right? I've made "banana eggs" before using 1 banana and 2 eggs, and this is similar. It's tasty!

Unfortunately I don't think this is a very good day to see how this fills me up as I woke up starving and I think it's just going to be one of those "hungry" dieting days. I will eat my planned foods. I will eat extra almonds and all of my planned, healthy snacks if needed. I will drink lots of tea and water. And then I will go enjoy yoga class tonight. (*Willing myself to follow this plan*)

Jen, I've heard of PB2 but never tried it bc I like "normal" pb so much on apples, toast etc, but this does sound like a great use where it would be worth having an extra product, especially since I do try to keep my breakfasts at 400 cals max. Next time I go to the co-op in the city I'll pick some up.

Sheila, I have tried adding protein powder and just didn't care for what it did to my oatmeal flavor. I have vanilla and chocolate sweetened flavors. I did wonder if I could get an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder to use here. I'll have to keep my eye out for some. I do eat Greek yogurt, usually as a snack, but this is also a good idea to change around what I eat when. Sometimes I get so stuck in my food routines that it's hard for me to imagine how I could change them.

Thanks for the recipe, Allison. Those eggrolls sound yummy and pretty healthy, too! Definitely saving this one. I'd probably use a 2% milk cheese. I'll have to keep my eye out for bear creek soup mix, too.

Saef, I know long days of business meetings can be tough. But it sounds like you did very well by eating your apple and avoiding the vending machines. I personally think it's worse when they keep wheeling unhealthy snacks out for you. Even though I know I'll regret eating them, I want to anyway. Thankfully for my waistline I don't attend that many work meetings.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Jen, I've heard of PB2 but never tried it bc I like "normal" pb so much on apples, toast etc, but this does sound like a great use where it would be worth having an extra product, especially since I do try to keep my breakfasts at 400 cals max. Next time I go to the co-op in the city I'll pick some up.
I love peanut butter in all forms! In my caninet right now, there is PB2 regular, chocolate PB2, Burt's Bees Honey PB, Burt's Bees chocolate PB, and Peter Pan extra crunchy PB LOL

I had 1/3 cup of oatmeal and 2 tablespoons of PB2 this morning for breakfast - 160 calories.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Saef-- I think you did amazingly well given the circumstances. My dh travels for work almost all of the time and I often wonder if the situation was reversed how I would handle all of the gourmet meals in exotic places and not so exotic places. This week he is local but still staying in the hotel and at the mercy of whatever they are serving. He does really well most of the time-- he'll tell me about all of the delicacies he turns down and how he just had a little meat or some sushi. I'm afraid I'd be diving into all of the special desserts and more.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Two days of being basically totally on plan. I'm tracking my intake with MyFitnessPal which is a lot easier to use than FitDay (IMO).

The only PB in my house is Jif creamy. I used to buy chunky but one day accidentally got the creamy and I like it a lot better. DS gets a PB&J for lunch and I get a lick when preparing the sandwich.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I love Peanut Butter but if you search my house you will not find any as I cannot be trusted with PB.
Megan , this morning I had oatmeal and added half a cup of Fiber One to it, very filling, The Fiber One does add calories but I just adjust that during the day, In my diet world it is all about Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #186  
Workin' It

I love peanut butter. Just love it. I have to forget it is in the house sometimes.

Megan - I can't do protein powder in my oatmeal. What I had didn't hold up well to high temperatures and got icky. I do have some unflavored that is supposed to be good in it, but I've been afraid to try it after past failures.

Saef - great job yesterday.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #187  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Have you guys ever tried using non fat powdered milk instead of protein powder? I think it would be fine in oatmeal, although I have never tried it that way.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #188  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
I love peanut butter in all forms! In my caninet right now, there is PB2 regular, chocolate PB2, Burt's Bees Honey PB, Burt's Bees chocolate PB, and Peter Pan extra crunchy PB LOL
I love peanut butter in all forms too! So much so that all forms except plain, natural pb are banned from my house because I will eat and eat until gone. The Burt's Bees chocolate is like crack for me and I can't exercise portion control. My favorite is Maranatha organic crunchy pb with salt. It's delicious, but I can portion it out for myself and respect it. I couldn't have pb in my house for about 4 years. We've come to a better understanding now. I get the grocery store freshly ground natural to stuff inside my dog's bones. She'll spend hours licking it out. Like mother, like fur-daughter.

Ward, I will have to check out the powdered milk idea. I had a box for baking bread and will have to look at the nutrition stats again.

Shannon, when I tried the protein powder in oatmeal, I just mixed it in at the end. It didn't get microwaved so I didn't have problems with heat.

This day is draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaging on.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #189  

Peanut Butter is one of the foods (oatmeal is too) that I "don't like" because when I was a child I was a picky eater. So, I never tried it. I suspect if I tried it now as an adult, I might become addicted (I sure do love Reese's Peanut Butter cups). So, I'm better off telling myself I don't like it! My dogs do love it too especially in a bone!

So..... off subject.... those of you that have ziplined...... I signed up to do it on our cruise but I'm afraid of heights. I really want to do it though. I'm wondering if I can handle it??? I'm not petrified of heights like some people are but I'm really not great about then.

My voice is still gone. It was an interesting day at work. I'd call in sick a day and sleep but it would cause way too much hassle at work. I only took one nyquil last night (I had taken two the prior couple of nights) and I didn't sleep well at all. Guess I'm back to two tonight (I was dragging in the morning which is why I went to one).
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post

So..... off subject.... those of you that have ziplined...... I signed up to do it on our cruise but I'm afraid of heights. I really want to do it though. I'm wondering if I can handle it??? I'm not petrified of heights like some people are but I'm really not great about then.
Michele~I'm terribly afraid of heights as well, but have zip lined on almost a dozen occasions and will do it again! You feel safe because you're in a harness, with a helmet, and you're admonished not to touch the equipment--only the guides are allowed to touch it to hook you up so that mistakes are averted. It's actually QUITE fun and serene. You'll like it despite being kind of nervous at the beginning. We took my MIL who was scared out of her wits and she ended up loving it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #191  

Thanks for the assurance Allison. That makes me feel much better!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #192  
Chuggin' along...

Yesterday was a really hungry day. I think it was a combo of it just being at that hungry point in my diet, and not great sleep the night before. Last night I took a sleeping pill and got in bed early. My yoga class was shortened from 90 to 30 minutes due to impending bad weather. I was sort of bummed. Should have gone home and continued the workout, but I ate dinner and sat on the couch until I went to bed instead. Oops. Will try to do better today. I'm also going out to lunch today for a co-worker's birthday and don't know where we're going yet. I hope it's somewhere I can get a salad and the only side option is not french fries.

Michele, I don't mind heights at all. I went ziplining in Costa Rica and loved it. A friend who hates heights went ziplining in CR also and hated it. We discussed it and figured out that where he went, he could see very far into the distance. He could see that he was up in a mountain, and from his description sounds like they were very high off the ground, >100 ft (but I take that with a grain of salt). I think I was slightly lower to the ground and we stayed in the tree canopy the whole time. You could see to the ground and around to the next trees, but not outside of the canopy. It made a difference. Do you have any info about the locale of your ziplining? I want to just tell you to go for it and that you'll have a great time, but don't want you to hate it!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM   #193  

2013 is starting out pretty well, a bumpy road but a net loss of 2.2 pounds.

01-01-13 118.4
01-31-13 116.2
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #194  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
Do you have any info about the locale of your ziplining? I want to just tell you to go for it and that you'll have a great time, but don't want you to hate it!
Megan-- we will be ziplining in Belize. Here is the description (I'm pretty excited about it!):

Your excursion begins at the pier where you'll board your air-conditioned transportation for the drive into the jungle. Your onboard tour guide will give a brief history of Belize, its people and culture along the way, as you drive through savannas and quaint villages to Jaguar Jungle Camp.

Upon arrival, trained staff will fit you with your harness and give you a safety briefing before you start your zipline adventure. Throughout your visit, your guides will point out the flora that the ancient people used for spiritual, health and medicinal purposes. Survey the incredible natural beauty, acknowledging that this is one of the sacred spaces of the ancient Mayans whose underworld of caves and tree canopies were used to send offerings to their gods.

You'll take a short winding trail through thick jungle, where the towering cohune palms dwarf you, to a limestone cliff that is your launching pad to zipline. Feel the rush as you fly 500 feet across the jungle for a bird's eye view of a cavernous opening to one of the Maya's ancient ceremonial caves. Your next traverse takes you to an unrivalled 700 feet across the jungle. Don't forget to look down onto dense flora that used to be the Mayan hunting ground and source of their daily needs. With your adrenaline pumping and anticipation running high, you'll switch gears from harness to life vests as the second leg of your quest begins, putting you up close and personal in the environment of the crystal caves phenomenon. Your tube ride finds you floating through a chamber where high ceilings and a stalactite-lined wall provide the sensation of being in a grand cathedral with a mighty pipe organ welcoming you into a sacred place. Marvel at the crystal-encrusted cave formations that are simply dazzling, as you meander up the river.

You'll leave your tube and walk inside the crystal chamber to explore the sacred underworld of the Mayans. Notice the pottery used by the Maya in ancient sacrificial ceremonies dating back to 300 to 900 A.D. Your path takes you through a tiny passage where you'll find yourself in front of a frozen waterfall column and glittering rim stone dam that is simple amazing. Once back on your tube, you'll make your way to an underground lagoon bordered by a mini waterfall. This signals the end of your subterranean adventure. You'll walk back to base camp where you'll have a chance to change clothes and shop for souvenirs of this once-in-a-lifetime experience before your transportation takes you back to the pier.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #195  

Michele, the Zipline doesn't make me as nervous as caves and subterranean adventure and underground description while sounding beautiful, I prefer to be on top of the ground.
Closed Thread