Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #151  
Workin' It

Andrea - he is 7. I like the intervention techniques you described, I think they would help. I worry about the stimulant aspect of the meds - he doesn't sleep much at all and has stopped eating what little he ate before he started them. I worry that increasing them will make that worse.

The Dukan link told me to shoot for 132. As I was going for 130 that is pretty close.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #152  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

It calculated 141 for me. Hmmm ... interesting.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #153  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Shannon,
intuniv is not a stimulant, and it tends to make kids sleep more, not less. Not that I'm telling you to put him on it, just that we had the same side effects from stimulants that you describe (plus irritability and end-of-day rebound hyperactivity), and for us, Intuniv (plus Wellbutrin) proved to be a way better solution. Check out http://connect.additudemag.com/site/login/ and look at the bulletin boards. Like this site, there is a huge community of parents out there to learn from, and commiserate with. And with that, I'll stop talking ADHD on a weight maintenance site, but feel free to PM me for more info.

I refuse to play with the Dukan site. I think that the "true weight" calculator is a gimmick, just like the age-old ultra-low-carb approach it promotes under a new name. My happy weight is 120 (assuming I keep weight lifting, for about 18% body fat) and there I plan to stay as long as possible.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #154  
Workin' It

Thanks for the info - we've been doing noticing he bottoms out early evening and then bounces back into hyper hard by bath time but I didn't realize it was a thing. Hm.

Sheila, was it this thread you asked if I was going to skate last night? I did, for close to 1.5 hours. It was a lot of fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #155  
Chuggin' along...

I liked hot yoga. I don't know if I loved it, which is what my friend kept asking me, but I will do it again when I go to the city. There were 30 people in the class and the instructor definitely couldn't keep an eye on everyone's form, so I wondered how safe it was, but there didn't seem to be many beginners. It seemed half yoga, half fitness class. I sweat buckets as it was REALLY hot, and though I "lost" 2 lbs overnight I wondered how much of that was water, and how many more calories I was really burning than a hatha yoga class. 1 of those lbs came back today as I got rehydrated yesterday, but maybe 1 lb has really kicked the curb.

The Dukan diet says my true weight is 143. I am aiming for 140 but since my maintenance range of 135-140 only "worked" for 2 years for me, I'm trying to be open to the fact that this range may change in order to be healthy & sustainable for me. I did laugh at the plan to lose 9 lbs over 37 days. A 2 lb loss in a month is a great month. My body doesn't want to give it up.

I love my bed. In fact, it was really really tough not to go back there an hour ago after letting the dog out and feeding her breakfast. I need 8-9 hours of sleep a night. If I don't get it I just don't function as well, particularly if I'm at my desk and supposed to do "brain" work. When I was in HS & college I sacrificed a LOT of sleep to study and would ofter get less than 6 hours of sleep. Once someone actually asked me if I had a black eye, the dark circles were so bad. I think my need for so much sleep now is my body's rebellion against those sleep-deprived years, and I actually sometimes worry about the brain cells I killed and its effect on my memory. I usually sleep pretty soundly, but occasionally go through insomnia phases.

Shannon, sorry to hear about the continued troubles with DSS. I also wondered if no news was good news. I don't have any experience/advice to offer so I'll just give you a

I'm hosting sushi making night/girls night at my house tonight. I've decided it will be a "free" night between the sushi and some wine drinking. I'll still log it and WILL get right back on track tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Megan--I've heard many times that you burn about 1000 calories in a hot yoga session, so some of your weight loss is water, but certainly not all! I never knew I could sweat as much as I do in class. 30 people in class is a pretty large class-- the classes I take are usually 15-20 but sometimes they are larger. The instructor hopefully knew you were new? At my studio, the instructors keep a close eye on newbies and will correct any form that could potentially be harmful.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #157  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Here's a good one. I spent some serious time experimenting with how to clean a textured porcelain tile floor. When it became clear that only a near-boiling, very strong solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, for those that haven't used this nasty stuff), scrubbed in hard, and then mopped up with a Magic Eraser mop was going to work, I spent 45 minutes doing about 25 square feet. DS13 noticed immediately when they got home, and says to DH, "hey, doesn't the floor look awesome?" DH's reply (brace yourselves): "The floor's *supposed* to be clean," while smirking at me. Breathtaking. I asked him politely if he'd like to rephrase himself. He said, "Nope." I think I know why I drink.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 01-27-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Becky, your DH leaves me speechless. Men are just clueless, sometimes.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #159  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

ICU, I've used TSP and it is indeed nasty stuff. Kudos to you for not flinging some at your DH.

Several years ago, I got a marmoleum floor for my kitchen - a linoleum like product on a cork backing, clicks together, no glue. It looks great (I did a blue and green checkerboard pattern) but only if you don't look too closely. From the first time I cleaned it, it has looked smeared. I've tried everything I can think of, even a steam mop, and have just given up.

I wish I could do yoga but I have a bum leg and just can't bend very well. I do some pilates that has yoga-esque moves and really enjoy it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #160  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

TSP is vile stuff to work with. My congratulations for your success.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
I refuse to play with the Dukan site. I think that the "true weight" calculator is a gimmick, just like the age-old ultra-low-carb approach it promotes under a new name.
Yeah I agree. I get enough junk email as it is. And the "whole buncha protein" diet was known as Atkins back in the day when I tried it.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #162  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Here's a good one. I spent some serious time experimenting with how to clean a textured porcelain tile floor. When it became clear that only a near-boiling, very strong solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, for those that haven't used this nasty stuff), scrubbed in hard, and then mopped up with a Magic Eraser mop was going to work, I spent 45 minutes doing about 25 square feet. DS13 noticed immediately when they got home, and says to DH, "hey, doesn't the floor look awesome?" DH's reply (brace yourselves): "The floor's *supposed* to be clean," while smirking at me. Breathtaking. I asked him politely if he'd like to rephrase himself. He said, "Nope." I think I know why I drink.
Obviously your son does not take after his father - your son is a decent nice person. And if it were me I'd have made hubby DRINK some of the dirty TSP water.

Dagmar
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #163  
Recovering Pantry Pest

dagmar! Given what it says on the back of that package, perhaps that would be a route out of all future problems as well ...

bargoo, he can't claim cluelessness. What it is, is a failure to learn how to communicate despite professional intervention on several fronts. And yet he will be mystified when I leave him in a few years, even though that has also been made aware on multiple occasions that this is a probable consequence.

bill, I have to say that it worked like a charm. I started with hot white vinegar, my preferred cleaning solution. Nothing. And I do mean nothing. Simple Green. Nope. Foaming bathroom cleaner? Minor difference. OVEN CLEANER? Not enough to justify the smell. The TSP was my final resort, and man, does it work! I hate wearing safety glasses and full length gloves, but it did the job. All that rinsing - ugh. It's a three-bucket job!

steph - the marmoleum sounds like neat stuff, aside from the color run! That sucks about the smearing. Did you pursue any compensation with the manufacturer? I just put a click-lock engineered laminate that looks like marble tile in my renovated bathroom , and I think it's my favorite room in the house.

Now, at this point, some of you have to be thinking, "Just how dirty is that dang floor?" I had it professionally steam-cleaned a few years back but made the mistake of not sealing it. My housekeepers do mop - and mopping does a lot more of pushing around dirt than actually picking it up. It's a highly-textured tile - has what's called a "bathroom finish" on it to keep it from being slippery when wet. It's almost gritty. Because it's a mix of off-white and ivory tones, it hides its dirt better than you'd think. It was definitely due for some love. Now that I've made a clean spot, I have to keep going because the contrast is obvious! Once my upper back stops screaming, I'll do the next patch. I can count this as exercise, right?

Love you all for the support! I've spent too much time second-guessing whether the crap that goes on in my house is just me being "over sensitive".
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a slate-like tile in my old house. Regular mopping would leave muddy deposits in the deeper parts of the tile. I finally bought a good steam cleaner that did both carpet and floors. It'd suck up the muck pretty good afterwards and did a much better job than I (or Merry Maids) could ever do. On that note, don't hire MM!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #165  
Recovering Pantry Pest

allison - what brand of steam cleaner did you have, do you remember? Seems like Bissell and Hoover are the two biggies - but neither has particularly good reviews.
Closed Thread