Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

So after all this talk of weighing daily, I weighed today after weighing on Monday, and I'm up .5 lbs. While I don't feel the urge to give up, I am rather disappointed that all the exercise and good eating I've done this week has resulted in a gain. I'll weigh again Monday and see what happens. I know that I lose weight well when I don't exercise and eat right, but I love being able to feel and see my muscles so no chance I'm quitting lifting just to see the scale move. Still, it is annoying not to have that scale number reward.

Saef, your trainee probably would drive me to peanuts and drink!

Megan, I'm impressed by the laidback attitude. Isn't that what "normal" people do? Spontaneity in eating situations is so tough for most of us--bravo!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you are worried about weighing daily and seeing a gain, remember it is perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate. Mine will vary as much as 2 pounds either way, up or down. I am not concerned about normal fluctuation. I get concerned when I know I have either binged or just eaten too many calories and if I gained I know I deserve it.Hate it, though.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #63  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Just an idle thought on the daily weighing: If we are maintaining, then half the days will be up and half will be down (not counting those rare moments when everything just stays the same from day to day). Being irritated 50% of the time is not ... practical.

What methinks would be kind of nifty would be a scale that works like the cumulative gas mileage meters on the newer cars. We get all tied up in the "instantaneous mileage", when what we really have to keep an eye on is the long-term trends. Sure, it's fun to coast downhill and watch that thing peg out at 99mpg (whoosh), but pretending it'll go on forever is a little unrealistic. If I weigh more tomorrow than today, oh well. If I weigh more next week than this week ... uh oh. A couple of weeks of upward movement? Reaction definitely required.

I'm in the "reaction required" camp at the moment.

megan - that choice was a huge one, and you deserve kudos!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #64  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

ICU, I'm also in the "reaction required" camp. I feel like I'm getting a wee bit more control over my eating but I'm still eating too much to lose what I want to lose.

Megan, congrats from me as well. Flexibility is hard for those of us who feel easily knocked off track.

saef, I'll be interested to know if your new trainee learns humility. That would be unusual, I think. But you're right, timidity is as bad as arrogance. I am sometimes amazed at how many people seem incapable of working through a problem on their own.

I did another hour with Leslie Sansone this evening, while I pondered whether to bail on my new job. I think I'm going to interview somewhere else next week, for a job quite similar to my old one. I wasn't as ready for a big change as I thought, apparently. Oh well!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #65  
Workin' It

Sheila - if you increased your exercise significantly this week you'll likely be seeing a little water upswing in the weight.

Steph - job changes are always hard, especially when it is to something new.

I typically do well with looking at averages with the daily weighing. I tried going back to every few days and it made me too anxious. DH got me a withings scale for Christmas and it automatically updates my weight to my graph. I was afraid it would give me one more thing to obsess about, but oddly it has made me less weight anxious.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon~a friend said she got a scale that sent her weight to MyFitnessPal every day. I asked which scale, but she never got back to me. I'm assuming it's similar to yours. I like that!!!! One less thing to have to log! While I'm liking the one DD got me for Christmas (with the .1 increments instead of .5), it doesn't have WIFI.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Megan . That was really well done re BF throwing you off and you recovering so beautifully.

I need to do more of that. DH brought movies, beer and chips last night to "celebrate" finishing the 2nd part of his tax exam. I joined in without a whole lot of protest and had some with him. I drank 2 of the 4 beers he brought for me, ate one small bowl of chips, and today will drink lots of water and eat lightly to flush the "party" out of my system. I'm trying to ignore the little nagging guilty voice in my head.

Didn't bother getting on the scale this morning. Some of you have said you know how much you've gained by your stomach? With me it's my breasts . I'm up about 2 lbs, going by how "the girls" look this morning.

Good Saturday all! I'm working and doing errands - ho hum. At least it will be warm!

Dagmar
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #68  

Not warm in Sunny California today's forecast Low 26 degrees high 49 degrees.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-12-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Bargoo, we are forecast to have a high of 46 today and everyone is talking about our heat wave!!!!

After a week of eating extremely well and working out like crazy only to have the scale be a complete B***H and show high numbers, it finally dropped this morning putting me at 118.2. My goal is to be around 117, and hover between 116-119 so I am back in the saddle.

Jen
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #70  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

We're supposed to have a high of 72 today and tomorrow. The daffodils are coming up already.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #71  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My bra felt tight yesterday, my feet were puffy and my stomach lost its definition. I weighed this morning, trying out more frequent weighing, and was plunged into despair at the number: 149.1. My first irrational thought was that I shouldn't have been talking about magical 150 the other day, as this had given my body some bright idea about regain.

So I'm in a somber mood today. I forgot about that effect of frequent weigh-ins: They start regulating my moods.

We'll see if this is the new reality or some sodium freak-out.

Last edited by saef; 01-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #72  

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
My bra felt tight yesterday, my feet were puffy and my stomach lost its definition. I weighed this morning, trying out more frequent weighing, and was plunged into despair at the number: 149.1. My first irrational thought was that I shouldn't have been talking about magical 150 the other day, as this had given my body some bright idea about regain.

So I'm in a somber mood today. I forgot about that effect of frequent weigh-ins: They start regulating my moods.

We'll see if this is the new reality or some sodium freak-out.
You will only know by trying this for awhile, maybe weighing everday causes you too much anxiety Time will tell.
I am just the opposite, I get very antsy if I don't weigh everyday. What if I don't weigh for a week and step on the scale and see I have gained 3 pounds, I will be sure that if I had weighed every day I would have been able to stop that weight gain in it's tracks. Once a day for me and only once a day, forwarned means being forarmed for me.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #73  
Workin' It

I can't believe I'm sick through the 72 weekend. Meh. I should be outside.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #74  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Ok, I'm now several days on the far side of my shoulder surgery, off Vicodin, and ready to start posting again.

I'm all for the almost-daily weigh in. It definitely keeps me accountable, ESPECIALLY when I don't really want to because I've been overindulgent. There's something about the scale doing that 2-3 pound overnight jump to put the fear of g*d in me the next few days. ICU: you're absolutely right that if we were maintaining, we should expect just as many up days as down days, but all of us on this thread are trying to lose weight, so we should be seeing more consistent decreases if we're doing things right.

As for me, I'm stuck stuck stuck since I can't do any form of exercise other than walking for the next 2 weeks, and no upper-body work for 6 weeks. I am trying very hard not to think about how much muscle I will have lost by then, and how hard I will need to work to get back to where I am now. OTOH, I have not been able to exercise full-out since I went in for bladder surgery on Sept. 7th, and if this surgery worked, I will finally be able to work out full-tilt and pain-free by March.

It was a beautiful day here too- in the high 50s around midday. Took the dog and the 2 older DSs for a walk altogether >
Old 01-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #75  
Chuggin' along...

Thanks for the applause, but I guess flexibility only goes so far. BF and I went to some acquaintances' house at about 5 tonight to watch the football game. It was last minute, but I had no plans and otherwise we would have been sitting at the house alone so I was up for some social activity. Determined to stay OP tonight, I drank water, didn't eat any of the chips, and made pleasant conversation with a few people I know on a superficial level. Did I mention I do not care about football one bit? At 8 he wanted to switch to another fb party for the next game, but I was hungry and wanted to go home to eat the healthy OP leftovers I had planned. He is just around the block at the other party, but I insisted on getting dropped off at home if he was going to go. I was done with my flexibility. I was hungry and hangry not far behind!

At least I got in a really nice 5 mile hike with the dog earlier today.

Dagmar, perhaps what you did with DH was indeed being flexible. I mean, an unplanned off-plan eating occasion came up. You had two beers, not 4, a small bowl of chips, not half a bag, and are balancing that out with extra water today. That sounds pretty good to me!

Saef, you don't have to weigh daily! If weekly weigh-ins work for you, no need to change if it will make your brain crazy.

neurdoc, glad to hear the surgery went ok. The month before my foot surgery several years ago when I couldn't exercise was really, really tough for me so I can relate. March really isn't that far away, is it? Think of this time as a time you can give your body to rest and really get it to 100% health, so you will be ready to go when you're cleared for exercise.

I hear BF pulling up now. Have a good night, all.
Closed Thread