Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #16  
Chuggin' along...

Hey all, I need to be here! A lot of us have birthday goals it seems! I will turn 30 in July and told myself I'd like to finally lose this creep weight by then. I'm sure a lot of you know this creep and attempt at weight loss has been going on for several years with me. I told myself if I don't make it this time, I will accept my weight and buy new clothes here, bc this banging my head against the wall for the last 3 years has been so stressful.

I started off the new year at 158 and would like to get to somewhere around my maintenance weight of 140. I lost 4 lbs in January but February is not looking so promising (I haven't been staying OP food-wise like I should).

My eating has been poor this week and already at 9:20 AM I'm trying to resist the siren call of Fritos sitting in my office common area. Free! I wish someone would just put them in a box you have to put 50 cents into to get them out. "Free" is the magic word for me.

I've been working out as scheduled but as saef posted, "you can't out-exercise a bad diet". Ain't it the truth.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It seems several of us have that magic goal of 140! We can do it!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Megan, welcome aboard. My January was great but February was sloooow, but still a loss.
Keep at it, Megan, I know you can do it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #19  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I'm off the cliff today - sequestered at home due to snow. I'm a weather wuss. Still had to drive the kidlet 30 minutes to school, though - his is one of the few private schools open in SE Michigan today, I think. There was a small window of opportunity this morning to get everybody to school and work ... but it's coming down heavy and I'm not looking forward to having to go out and get him at 3:30.

Fortunately, the spouse is working from home too, which will help keep me honest and away from the pantry.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #20  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm here too. Already I caved and ate a bagel today so I will call it a victory if I can refrain from eating a second bagel. My general goal is 133 (130 would be better, but I'll be happy with 133). My average weight for this month is 137 (up from 135 in November). I told DH that starting on Monday he needs to boot me out of bed when he gets up at 5:45. On the days I don't run I will ride my bike trainer, and once it gets sunny outside in the morning I'll ride outside. Working out in the morning usually sets me up for a good day food-wise.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #21  

Becky, I was born and raised in Minnesota, I remember those days when school was closed because of a snow storm, fun for us kids but not so good for parents. I guess that is why I live in California now. We have problems, too , rain, floods an earthquake now and then . We even have snow once in awhile. I have skidded on the ice while driving to work, now that is scary.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #22  

You've got snow and it was 90 here yesterday. I'm beginning to think this summer will be a doozy since we're heating up so early. And I used to love snow days when I was in school but since moving away from Utah I don't like driving in the stuff either.

Still no change in the scale today, but I'm hoping for something tomorrow which I've now dubbed my "official" weigh-in day despite the fact that I actually weigh daily.

I WILL walk the dog after work today. No excuse.

Saturday we'll golf.

Sunday I think we have a block party (potluck) to attend which just means food, but I told MIL to make a huge tossed salad so I'll eat a lot of that and not much of anything else (I will only taste ONLY that which is homemade--no KFC, Domino's or anything just picked up from the grocer except fresh veggies).

Also on Sunday we'll go pick up our "commissioned" piece of art. I say commissioned as we asked the original artist to try and recreate a piece we bought from him last year but the cat knocked off the table and shattered it.

Last edited by alinnell; 02-24-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #23  

Speaking of bringing store bought food to a potluck. A couple of months ago I was invited to a potluck where I literally didn't have time to make anything. I went to Safeway and bought some of their potato salad. One of the guests asked who made the potato salad, I said I brought the potato salad. Her comment, it was great, make it again. Whew ! It was OK, but not great in my opinion. I never said I made it just that I brought it as I can definetly make better potato salad than Safeway's Deli.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #24  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I wouldn't mind being 140. It's a little way off.

Megan, how tall are you?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #25  
Chuggin' along...

I walked over to the Fritos cabinet about two hours ago, paper towel in hand to dole some out into, and stopped myself. I ate my lunch kind of early, but then went a bought some sugarless gum which I'm now chomping ferociously. I can get over this "hump", I think I can I think I can.

The friends party I'm going to tomorrow is a potluck, too. I'm bringing a Greek salad so I know I can fill up on that. I'll try to remember that I don't need store-bought foods, not to mention I've already had my share of chips this week.

Silver, I'm 5'5". My lowest weight as an adult was 136 and I wore a size 4-6 (couldn't have gotten any smaller - it was not fat but my hipbones keeping me from another size down), but I also hit that after basically living like a monk, drinking alcohol maybe 1x per month or less, no desserts ever, for a whole year, and I was single and had no social life at all (not that being single means having no social life, but it's easier to be a monk when no one is there in your house with you asking you to go out and interact with the world). When I maintained my weight more easily for 2-3 years after hitting maintenance, I was at 140-141, so I think that's a more realistically sustainable weight for me. Because I can't live like a monk.

Last edited by Megan1982; 02-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

I have a small mini-goal. I started my diet Feb. 1 and wanted to lose a total of 20 pounds (no deadline), but hopefully at least 15 of those by my birthday (early June). The last 5-10 will be a lot harder, so i was hoping to lose 5 in the first month and 5 in the second month. Well, i would have already lost 5...if i didn't keep binging every weekend! So this weekend i have a mini-goal of not gaining, and then i just have to lose another 1/2 pound by next Tuesday to be sort-of on track (since i've lost 4.5 pounds so far). I don't usually believe in being so specific with numbers, since weight can fluctuate a lot...but it's just getting ridiculous how i am stuck at the same weight because of my binging! I figure a small goal of 1/2 pound can't be that hard.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #27  

Welcome surfergirl2! I think I have the same weekend goal as you--don't gain! I've been trying to lose just half a pound this week and I'm hoping it'll be gone by tomorrow and then I have to survive the weekend so it doesn't pop back on. Although I take Sunday's "off" I still record and count everything and try to keep it all in line, although it can be tough. Last Sunday involved too much cheese and I've been paying the price for that all week.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #28  
Workin' It

Snow for some of us, 90 degrees for some, and here it was an unseasonably high 76 when I went for my run. This weather is crazy this year.

Becky - During my half marathon on Sunday I met two girls from Montgomery and fell into conversation with them the last six miles or so. They were 30 and 31. Told them I would be 40 in May and the reply was 'oh yay, this is your last race before the Master's Class!' I'm not sure I would call that a big 'yay'. - you be safe in the snow.

Megan - stay away from the Fritos. They don't exist.

Jessica - I'm having a hard time getting up early, too. I need to get DH to kick me up when he gets up - that is a great idea.

I'm back at 135.5 today - if I follow my pattern I'll eat something bad for me this weekend and pop up for the first few days next week. Dh & I are going on a double date with another couple - we are setting up one of my friends with one of his friends, so we are going along for this first one. We are going to a taquiera and tequila bar. I think I can be okay if I avoid the sauces, and the tequila.

to everyone else! Have a great day today!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #29  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good job avoiding the Fritos Megan! I still think we are nearly twins separated at birth. I'm an inch shorter than you, and I haven't been able to get under 130 at all and barely managed to get/stay below 135. At least, not with any muscle on me. I just want my maintenance range to be 130-135 instead of 135-140.

I did not do as well, I ended up eating a second bagel. It wasn't even that good. Ugh.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #30  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Fail day for me. I guess I am truly a creature of routine. Bad food, no exercise. Tomorrow, a baby shower ( yay!) and another chance to prove I can do this. Sleep, please clear the slate.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote