Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Becky - my chart would make me seem crazy. I have an average each month, a running yearly averages, comparisons at the end of each month to the month before and same month last year. I also it plotted on a chart. And this is all in my spreadsheet. My GWF has its own chart on the activity manager page. I'm insane.
Yes Shannon you truly are

I have a chart printed out (thank you DH and your knowledge of Excel or I would have hand-drawn it) with every Monday as weigh in day. I put a dot on the chart with a marker to show where I'm at - pretty clear and effective.

Dagmar (low tech, low tech, la la la )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #92  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

So, Shannon, we've established that you are not awful, but you do have a bit of thing about Excel spreadsheets. In my world, that would get you a job offer. Unfortunately, there are no on-the-job requirements for a great big heart and a gift for emotional openness, so we'll just have to benefit from those qualities of yours here.

Okay, I got through my presentations yesterday, partly by dint of the massage that I'd scheduled at 6 PM. Oh my, that felt good. She got right at the tightened-up steel cables that seem to me to run from my forehead, through my scalp, up over the top of my head, down along the back of my neck tendons into my shoulders and then down the length of my back into the tops of my hip flexors. Just genius. This woman is called Patty. She ironed out my quads with a pressure that nearly hurt. If I could, I would give everyone in this thread one session with Patty. Some days, there could be no greater gift.

Now there's a 10-minute version of this presentation that I've got to give in front of a tough crowd of managers. And then I can settle back into my usual hectic routine.

I am not eating away my tension, though. I believe that massage and cardio bouts now substitute for bingeing, which is what I would have done 10 years ago. The release valve isn't easily opened in me and I think food was the only way I knew how to do this. Now, it isn't. But it does take a lot of conscious effort and preplanning and being watchful, knowing myself and my hard times, and acknowledging I'm weak at those moments.

Last edited by saef; 02-29-2012 at 05:07 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #93  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I am not eating away my tension, though. I believe that massage and cardio bouts now substitute for bingeing, which is what I would have done 10 years ago. The release valve isn't easily opened in me and I think food was the only way I knew how to do this. Now, it isn't. But it does take a lot of conscious effort and preplanning and being watchful, knowing myself and my hard times, and acknowledging I'm weak at those moments.
I think being aware of those very things is what makes you a successful maintainer. It's not about turning some switch that makes us not want to eat our emotions or stress-eat, it's about being aware of our triggers and weak points and finding better ways to deal with them.

Saef, glad you enjoyed your massage! It sounds heavenly.

Becky, while whatever your weight their should be a historical trend evident over time no matter what day you weigh, I must admit long ago I changed my weekly weigh-in day from Monday to Tuesday for the very reasons you listed. Of course I only weighed in by myself in my home bathroom, and now I do it almost daily sometimes, but still. Statistically speaking I don't think it matters, but mentally it might.

I'm already trying not to crumble now in the face of the weekend ahead. I'll post more about my frustrations in the weekly chat thread, but in a nutshell: bday celebration now scheduled for Thursday. Friends not staying w me for the weekend (from a diet perspective, this is a relief) but are having dinner w me Friday at my place and plans are spiraling beyond my control. I will be strong, listen to my body, roll with the punches, and drink lots of water. And not think about it until Thursday.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #94  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Going badly again today. I need some time on my own. Quite a lot of time, actually.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Silver, I wish there was something that I could do to make you feel better. I hope you get the time that you need. Sounds like you need to recharge your batteries (so to speak).
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Doing well here, except we've got MIL's dinner out tonight. I'll have fish. I should be okay.

Didn't exercise this morning as I had planned because I spent the time cleaning up the mess the cats made. They got into my box of Nutrisystem foods that I keep in the guest room (no room in the pantry) and managed to knock it over spilling most of the contents. They dragged a bagel into the living room (no damage) but were successful in opening two packages of cookies, eating one. If I don't exercise after dinner tonight, I'll be sure to do so after work tomorrow and again on Friday afternoon. I'd invite my DD to go for a walk with me, but she's still in a cast for ankle tendonitis.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #97  

This morning I am close enough to ticker weight to call it. I really don't want to go any lower as it would be too hard to maintain and I would look like a waif.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
This morning I am close enough to ticker weight to call it. I really don't want to go any lower as it would be too hard to maintain and I would look like a waif.
Woo Hoo!! Weigh to go Bargoo!!:c arrot:
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

WTG bargoo!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #100  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hurray, bargoo!

I am going to go home and pass out in a carb coma (it doesn't take much to do this). SO away. DB in charge of tea: lamb curry and rice with broccoli.

Tomorrow is another day.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #101  
Workin' It

Woo hoo, Bargoo!!

Saef - I'm glad that you enjoyed your massage, honey! And yes, I am a little Excel obsessed.

Birchie - honey. You try to take some time for you today.

Dagmar - low tech is just fine.

Megan - sometimes you just have to survive all of the events and pick up afterward. Keep things in moderation as much as you can, drink a lot of water and you'll be fine.

Allison - cats are insane. I caught mine trying to climb the coat rack last night.

I got a run in before work and feel pretty good about that. We have dinner out with MIL for my DH's birthday - I'm about to scan the menu and the nutrition guide and see what I can see.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #102  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yay, Bargoo!!! Congratulations!

silver - there are times that a "retreat to the cave" is necessary. I would send you Saef's massage therapist, if I could - there is truly something healing in mindful touch by a professional. I'll keep you in my thoughts and send good energies your way.

allison - hopefully the kitties' unscheduled dining will not result in intestinal upsets! Today was my first big mental battle with myself about the treadmill time. I eventually did it after making the deal to only do the same thing I did Monday (which was hard!). We had to vote last night (Michigan prez primary), and it was too late to go to water aerobics.

megan - I'm getting wayyy out of my comfort zone this weekend, with a bunch of girly events. I'm feeling a bit of angst about that, plus already wondering how badly the house will be destroyed by the time I get back. I empathize! And I don't think you're crazy re the plotting. I had some thoughts about applying moving average control limits and starting a chart of my own - then I decided I couldn't see anything value-added in that. I write my weight in my planner on the first day of each month, and I do record it in LoseIt ... and I don't think I want to go much further than that!

Last edited by ICUwishing; 02-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #103  
Chuggin' along...

Way to go bargoo!!!

Silver, hang in there. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #104  
Workin' It

DSS just got suspended from school for the rest of the week. Hit a girl at lunch. The same girl he has hit before. It is now being processed as bullying - he's out until Monday.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
DSS just got suspended from school for the rest of the week. Hit a girl at lunch. The same girl he has hit before. It is now being processed as bullying - he's out until Monday.
I wonder if sending him home from school has any effect. Isn't he too young to understand that as punishment ? I wonder also about the little girl that he hit. Is it possible that she might be taunting him, egging him on ?