Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #106  
Workin' It

Bargoo - I do think that she eggs him on, yes. Or did before if not now. They clashed at the beginning of the school year. She is ADHD, always in people's personal space and up in their faces, has to be the center of attention. He also likes to be the center of attention and hates anyone in his space, so he removed her. I've met her - she is a trial to be around even as an adult. I also don't think sending him home is helping. It did the first day, but since then he just brushes it off. He refuses to admit he did anything wrong today - she sat down next to him so he hit her. Says she was bothering him, was in his space, etc. He has no sense of accountability, or of right and wrong. Even if she did goad him he can't just hit her in the stomach. There were witnesses last Friday who said she was just walking by, today she supposedly just sat down next to him at the table.

I just don't know what to do. We can't make the school keep him there with the violence, and they don't seem to think it was provoked apparently.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 02-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #107  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Shannon, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm reading NurtureShock right now - it's shattering a few of my paradigms. I'm also learning new strategies that seem to be working far better than what I've done in the past with my DS ... if you can find it in the library, it might help you too.

151.5 this morning to start March! So that's 7 pounds for me since I got serious (as serious as I'm willing to get) on Jan 9, 7 weeks ago. For all my slips, slides and moments of lost attention, I'm doing just fine. Considering that Monday Feb 7 was 157 ... it makes me think that exercise might actually be a good idea.

I'm seriously thinking about a tattoo for my 45th birthday.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Becky, congratulations on your loss. Do you realize how close you are to a healthy weight range for your height ?
The Calorie King says .....nothing for 5'7.5"
But 5"7" the range is 127-158
And 5'8" the range is 129-162
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post

I'm seriously thinking about a tattoo for my 45th birthday.
How exciting! My 45th is in 2 days-- when is yours?
I got my first (and only so far) tattoo when I was 41-- after I had made the healthy transformations to my body.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Becky, congratulations on your loss. Do you realize how close you are to a healthy weight range for your height ?
The Calorie King says .....nothing for 5'7.5"
But 5"7" the range is 127-158
And 5'8" the range is 129-162
I, too am in the healthy range, albeit at the top of the healthy range. I prefer to be in the middle.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #111  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

bargoo, thanks! I've got a ways to go before I count myself as "healthy", I think - still too skinny-fat and brittle, My calculator says that 144 will be square in the middle of where I "oughta be" on the scale, per your numbers. Good to know that if nothing else, I have maintained within the range for a few years now.

allison, this just might be the one case where average is a decent place to be.

michele, happy birthday early! I'll be gone this weekend and "AFK". My bday is May 17. I've never had one and never felt the urge before - it's totally "not" the character I've played for 45 years, for sure! And that, right there, is a big piece of why I want one. My mother is horrified at the idea, which tells me I'm on the right path.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 03-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #112  
Chuggin' along...

Shannon, I can't offer any advice as I don't have experience with a situation like this, but just know I'm sending you, DH, and DSS s and positive thoughts your way.

Becky, you're almost 45, I think it's ok to p*** off your mother with a tattoo. Congrats on 7 lbs lost! Great job!!!

January 1: 158 lbs
February 1: 154 lbs
March 1: 154 lbs

State of the union for February: No loss in February. No gain either... but no loss. I started doing NRLW, doing strength training again after a multi-month absence, about 2.5 weeks ago, so it's possible I'm gaining muscle/retaining water. I knew this would bother me, one of the reasons I was holding back from weight lifting, as I know it's common to not lose weight when one starts weightlifting. However I had a few off plan eating days, and am struggling to find the right calorie balance with weightlifting (the age old I want to keep/build muscle, but lose fat, want to eat enough, but not too much). March holds many social challenges so I will keep my nose to the grindstone and keep going one day at a time.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky-- it is almost 4 years later, and I am still hiding the tattoo from my father-in-law and uncle. They would be horrified!

Older dd recently said she is considering getting another one (she got her first when I got mine). She said she wants to get the Tourette's ribbon on her wrist. I'm thinking I might like to do it with her as a show of support. Dh had said he would get a tattoo with me years ago, but he has backed out!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #114  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Shannon, can you send DSS to another school that can better meet his needs?

I'm back from my business trip. Didn't stay totally OP but didn't fall too far off either. I did get in a jog Wednesday morning which was good.

Then today I was going to be POP . . . until I got hungry in the afternoon (since DH ate nearly everything in the house the past two days and left me a very small lunch), wanted something hot, and ended up caving and making kraft mac & cheese. At least I had the forethought to pack half of it away. Tomorrow is the bagel struggle again.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #115  
Workin' It

Well, I seem to be making some progress after all...

12/27 - 143.3 (highest weight in years, I freaked out)
1/1 - 139.8
2/1 - 137.0
3/1 - 135.2

Slow, but moving down...

Jessica - We aren't in a position to move him to a different school right now, but maybe. The teacher that he has is great, I don't know if another one could do any better. I'm glad that the trip was mostly OP!

I've been thinking lately that I want a tattoo, as well. I'll be 40 on 5/15. Think it is a good birthday gift to me? I have no idea what I would get or where.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I am going to be 55 this month (DH says never reveal your actual birthday on line) and I have no interest whatsoever in getting a tattoo. Ever seen how tattoos look on older skin? Not pretty!

I might spring for the henna bracelet which lasts about 3 days. Got one years ago at a street fest and liked it quite well.

I probably won't acquire anything for my bday this year - trying to divest myself of some of my too many earthly goods.

DH is taking me to see an exhibit about the Maya

http://www.rom.on.ca/maya/exhibition/

and to dinner at our favourite vietnamese resto. I love pho (soup) but would never make it at home - too time consuming.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #117  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Well, I seem to be making some progress after all...

12/27 - 143.3 (highest weight in years, I freaked out)
1/1 - 139.8
2/1 - 137.0
3/1 - 135.2

Slow, but moving down...

Good job ! Congratulations !
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #118  
Workin' It

DSS and I are working on worksheets that I printed off the internet this morning. He finished his regular schoolwork yesterday afternoon but we are keeping him on a school schedule. We got him up at 6, made him get ready like a school day and have him working. We've given him a couple of chores and might give him a few more today if he finishes these worksheets. No sleeping in and lounging around while suspended from school.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #119  
Chuggin' along...

Shannon, way to make progress with your weight and nip this in the bud! Also sounds like you're handling DSS's suspension well. Good for you for making him get up early and do some work.

Dagmar, I love henna tattoos! It's funny I say that but have never had one, but I think they are quite beautiful. Your museum exhibit looks really interesting.

Michele, I think getting a Tourette's ribbon tattoo w your DD would be really neat.

I told BF that he is planning my party this year. I'm not big on birthday "parties" (usually will just do dinner w a group of friends) but I think 30 should be an exception. It doesn't have to be extravagant, I just want all my friends there! I also told him that we will travel either internationally or to Alaska (probably after my birthday after his charter season is over, September is more likely than July). We do need to travel on a budget, though, so we're going to look for places where our US dollar will exchange well. I need to start doing research! My passport expired a few years ago and I haven't needed to renew it. That makes me sad.

I got through the birthday dinner last night with pretty minimal damage. Tonight is Mexican night at my house. Having a few friends over for dinner has totally snowballed and I fear for my diet. I will be strong. Oh, and the water thing.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #120  

Sometime today I have to make a dish for a potluck on Saturday. Most likely it will not be a calorie kind dish. This afternoon I am going to a book club meeting,. Yesterday I had my hair cut, as you can see my life is one continual round of pleasure...LOL.