Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #76  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You are NOT an awful person, Shannon.

Do you know what it takes to be a truly awful person? It's pretty bad.

I am not seeing that kind of behavior from anyone on this board. Not ever, in my memory from pretty much daily visits.

But hey, I can relate to anyone who has a tendency to be too hard on herself. I just wish we could all stop it.

Last edited by saef; 02-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Agree wholeheartedly with everyone Shannon, especially Saef. My mom was my own flesh and blood and she was truly evil to me most of the time. When dh and/or I think we haven't done the best with our girls, I remind him that we have always done what we felt was the best for them. When you marry into a stepchild situation, it cannot be easy. I bet he also tells ex wife great things about you-- which make her jealous-- hence why she doesn't care too much for you.

I'm also wondering how much you and dh have him typically?

Hugs to you!!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

February was being a very slow weight loss, but I guess I have turned the corner,lost 5.8 pounds in February. this makes a total weight loss of 15.8 since Jan 1. It hasn't been all downhill, I lost some and regained some and lost again. That's the story of weight loss for me, the secret is not to get discouraged when I have a regain, the second and best secret is, persevere, do not give up.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #79  
Chuggin' along...

OP day yesterday. Just taking it one day at a time. I felt reasonably accomplished yesterday, and just stopped doing things and went to bed when it was bedtime, will keep going today. No more cookie talk.

Shannon, hang in there. From this and other stories it sounds like times can be tough w DSS and his mom is not providing him with the structure/support he needs, but you are! Keep doing it. He will thank you later.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #80  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

bargoo, I really appreciate your sweet and simple approach to all of this. It's also encouraging to me that what you've done still works! Hopefully with the resolution of your tummy problems, you can cruise back into your maintenance pattern and just "be".

Megan, good going!

Shannon, you're on the opposite end of the spectrum from awful! More .

I'm thinking I might change my weigh-in day to Friday or Saturday. Monday is subject to an awful lot of weekend variables and has more volatility than any other day (why did I do this to myself?). The end of the week is a best-case, and might reflect the trend more accurately. Thoughts? Does it matter over a period of, oh, forty years? Sampling theory says it won't make a difference except for the first week that I do it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #81  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Sampling theory
We don't want any more of that today. We had quite enough yesterday! Sampling theory leads to sampling practice ... and I've done some of that today. I never do what I've done today. Extraordinary.

I'll press on.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

[quote=ICUwishing;4233209].

I'm thinking I might change my weigh-in day to Friday or Saturday. Monday is subject to an awful lot of weekend variables and has more volatility than any other day (why did I do this to myself?). The end of the week is a best-case, and might reflect the trend more accurately. Thoughts? Does it matter over a period of, oh, forty years? Sampling theory says it won't make a difference except for the first week that I do it. [/quote

It is the bottom line that counts.What do you weigh after a week, month ?
I weigh every day and I can look back and see many times that I gained and just stayed there no matter what I did,and I sometimes lost when I was sure I wouldn't. It was only last week that I fell headfirst into a loaf of sourdough French Bread plus butter, lots and lots of butter. I was able to put a halt to that but it was not a pretty sight for awhile.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #83  
Workin' It

Becky - when I was used to weigh in weekly my day was Friday. At the time, I felt like it gave me inspiration to do better on the weekends when I saw a good number on Friday and it allowed me the whole week after to undo any damage done over the weekend before I weighed again. I weigh every day now and plot it on a graph, so I see the trend over time.

And yes, no sampling today.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
February was being a very slow weight loss, but I guess I have turned the corner,lost 5.8 pounds in February. this makes a total weight loss of 15.8 since Jan 1. It hasn't been all downhill, I lost some and regained some and lost again. That's the story of weight loss for me, the secret is not to get discouraged when I have a regain, the second and best secret is, persevere, do not give up.
WTG!!! 15.8 is wonderful. I'm holding at 9.5 myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I'm thinking I might change my weigh-in day to Friday or Saturday. Monday is subject to an awful lot of weekend variables and has more volatility than any other day (why did I do this to myself?). The end of the week is a best-case, and might reflect the trend more accurately. Thoughts? Does it matter over a period of, oh, forty years? Sampling theory says it won't make a difference except for the first week that I do it.
Despite the fact that I weigh daily, I only "record" it on Saturdays (at least for Nutrisystem). I'm usually up between .5 and 1 pound on Monday mornings and often get back to the Saturday weight by Wednesday. Then I hope to lose by the time Saturday rolls around, but it's been about 2 weeks now with no loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Becky - when I was used to weigh in weekly my day was Friday. At the time, I felt like it gave me inspiration to do better on the weekends when I saw a good number on Friday and it allowed me the whole week after to undo any damage done over the weekend before I weighed again. I weigh every day now and plot it on a graph, so I see the trend over time.

And yes, no sampling today.
No sampling here, either. I'm biding my time before I can eat breakfast. Perhaps another cup of coffee to keep me going. I find it best to eat breakfast at 8 AM, snack at 10, lunch at 12, snack at 3 and dinner at 6. Last night after dinner I hit the treadmill while DH watched Daytona. It really woke me up! I stayed up reading much longer than I usually do.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky-- I'm also not sure if it matters what day you weigh in. I also weigh daily, and like to look at trends-- for the week, month, etc. I work Weight Watchers on Sunday morning, and I've had a few members say they want to switch their weigh in day to Saturday, because then they can go out Saturday night. I try to tell them that it is the overall loss or gain for the week that matters, not one day. Then, they say they like to go out Friday night too, so Saturday doesn't work either. Hmmm.... maybe we've spotted the issue (for them anyway!). When I was actively losing, my official weigh in was always Saturday morning. It did help to keep me on track Friday night, but I tended to go a little crazy on the weekends sometimes.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #86  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I weigh in on Fridays. Like Shannon, I felt it inspired me to do better on the weekend. And also, I was more likely to stick with weighing-in as a routine, because I was more liable to be home that morning -- for instance, if I traveled anywhere for the weekend, I already had the scale reading done & out of the way.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #87  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Agreed, it's the bottom line that matters. I have the "weekly sawtooth" thing going on. Keeping things in line over the weekend just to make Monday's number look nicer hasn't worked all that well. Like Allison, I'm up .5-1.5 on Mondays fairly often - like this week, which conspired to make my ticker move backward. Here's an option - weigh daily, and then pick one day a week to take the average for reporting? Good grief. I'm embarassing myself for thinking so hard about this! Next thing you know, I'm going to be plotting control charts in my bathroom. Gawd.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #88  
Workin' It

Becky - my chart would make me seem crazy. I have an average each month, a running yearly averages, comparisons at the end of each month to the month before and same month last year. I also it plotted on a chart. And this is all in my spreadsheet. My GWF has its own chart on the activity manager page. I'm insane.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

I was 153.5 yesterday but 154.5 this morning. I thought i failed at my mini-goal of being 153.5 by the end of the month, but all of a sudden i realized it's leap year and i have an extra day Hopefully i'll be back down to 153.5 tomorrow.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #90  
Workin' It

Yay for Leap Year!