Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Jay! How have you been?

Kim! Hey! Glad to see you too! I know we are BOTH able to get right back on track. Do you still have your 8 pack? I still can somewhat see my abs, but not as beautifully as I could ten pounds ago. Like you, I too kept on eating TOO MUCH even on days when I was not eating junk (actually, with the exception of the things I mentioned above, I didn't really eat junk consistantly... just a lot of food)... I also stayed active with biking, weight lifting, and the occasional run, but I was eating more calories than I was burning anyway.
That's SO COOL that your 7 year old is running a marathon ish thing! Best of luck to him!!

Allison - here's a for your DD. When I was her age, I kept my parents entirely out of the loop regarding my romantic life, mostly because I didn't want them to object to the people I was dating or embarrass the living daylights out of me should they ever meet.
While saying that, I do vaguely know where your daughter is coming from, as I have had my moments where I wanted my parents to know something was wrong but I didn't want to say what until they guessed correctly. I sometimes expected them to just know.
Hooray for new diet plans! Seems a lot of us are on 'em...

Shannon - isn't it amazing how two days of bad eating can tip the scale so badly against us?
When I returned from my beach vacation, I weighed in at a whopping 145 pounds The next day, I was 140, then 138, then 137, then 135. I thought to myself, "HOW in the h-e-double-toothpicks could I have gained ten pounds over a weekend?!?!?!" Christmas was worse - I left at 125 and returned at 145. Then, I got back down to around 127 or 128 in a week. I really wonder why I am capable of retaining such large amounts of water.

Sometimes, when I am off plan, I notice my face looks significantly more bloated, too. Facial bloat is a problem for me even when thin unless I am POP. Odd.

Megan - you entered a powerlifting tournament?! YOU GO GIRL!! How did you do?
The theatre thing sounds quite hectic... and I bet you burned lots of calories choppin' up those veggies
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Need to pop back out of the woodwork too.
Still haven't reeled in the bad habits.
ie too much wine
too much chocolate
etc, etc.
Still doing OK with the running - although was down a few K this week.
Need to ramp it up this week.
Having an attack of PMS though - thus the copious amounts of chocolate and wine.
Sorry I can keep up with everyone.
This forum moves really fast.
-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Hi Shane! Hi Kim! Welcome back!

Should we all also go over to featherweights and post en masse ? Looks like most of us who have fallen off the wagon have about 6-10 lbs. of "creep" to lose.

A spring pruning perhaps ?

Have a good evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #19  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I've got the creep! I started calorie cycling again a couple of weeks ago and I think it's helping me keep the binge monster at bay. A couple of pounds have come off, too. I need to get my abs back - I want to rock my bikini again this summer!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Unhappy lacking motivation - I'm whining again

I'm having trouble motivating myself. I still fit into all my summer clothes and I don't own or wear a bikini. I don't look bad in anything but the extra 5 lbs. is annoying.

I think mostly I'm having trouble because my DH is soooo negative about everything. He is going to have to make some big changes soon and he's reacting by eating, and eating, and eating.

I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself because he's so unmotivated. Every conversation I have with him makes me depressed. And I really have no one else to talk to about anything.

On the weekend he said he's "just waiting to die, there's nothing to go on for any more". He's 47 years old!

We have been through 8 months of this CMA course together (he's taking the course, I'm doing everything else in connection with our lives) and there are another 2 to go.

I hope things improve after the course is over. I don't know that I can continue to live with someone who is so negative all the time. It's contagious.

I know that I can only change myself. I have to find the energy to do that somewhere. I appreciate all the support I get at 3FC but it's not quite the same as having someone to talk to face to face or on the phone.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #21  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Dagmar, I hope things get better for you and DH. My DH suffers from depression too and when he is down, it's really hard to deal with. He says things like, "My life is a failure," "I can't do anything right," etc. etc. Unfortunately the only thing to do is wait it out. DH manages to keep it in check with exercise mostly but it sounds like that's not big on your DH's plans. I did extract a promise from DH back before we got married that if he ever gets severely depressed such that I think it's necessary for him to be medicated, he will go to the doctor (because obviously he can't trust his own judgement at such a time). Maybe you could talk to your DH about something similar?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #22  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

I slacked a bit last week but I'm totally back in the groove as of yesterday/today - what a great feeling! I did chest at the gym yesterday and I'm just a wee bit sore, how nice. Maybe it's harder moving the weights around my enormous chest, lol. I'm making plans to go to my 5-year college reunion towards the end of May and see some friends I haven't seen in those 5 years, so I'm excited at the prospect and motivated to stay fit.

Add me to the list of those who need a "spring pruning", lol. Of course I've need a "spring" pruning year-round for oh... 2 years now? Ack!

Dagmar, I'm sorry your DH is still in this bad place. I know your DH is still under pressure with this CMA, but would he consider professional counseling? Or would it be possible for you to speak with a counselor who could give you advice on how to cope/help him cope? I know this can cost $ but perhaps even a small investment of a session or two could be helpful. Hang in there.

Shane, there you are! Yes, I was sort of coerced by the gym manager/trainer into doing this powerlifting tournament that is held here on the beach. I was reluctant at first but it ended up being a positive experience. I posted about it in last week's thread. Notice that the day after my tournament, Jessica (Paperclippy) participated in a triathlon!

Kim, glad you're back! Sounds like a lot of us need to beat the creep down. We can do it together! I'm impressed with your 7-year-old's running habits (intentions?). Maybe if he does it for the medal now, he'll enjoy it and do it just because later.

Speaking of kids exercising, Anne, I'm impressed with your DD too! That sounds like a long way for a little kid! I remember when I was in nursery school we had our end-of-the-year party and we all rode our big wheels around the circle outside the building. I think the circle had a 40 foot radius...

Allison, if you find good recipes in that cookbook you'll have to post a few of your favorites! It's good to have a few quick recipes to pull out now and again. Don't be that upset that you didn't ask your DD what was wrong. As already been said, teenagers are like that, I was too. I didn't want to talk to my parents but occasionally expected them to read my mind. "Moooom!!!"

Michele, you're calling me busy? Pot, meet kettle.

Lori, it's warm here, but like Shane said, it's Florida! I'm very excited that my veggie garden is growing up up and away. My tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers have blossoms, my beans are growing beans, and the flowers I planted around the borders are blooming!

Suzanne, good to see you too!

Hi Shannon, Meg, Jessica, Ward, and everyone else lurking out there. Hope everyone has a great day.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #23  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone!

I've dropped two pounds of the water weight from the weekend, now the other two need to go away instead of sticking around... I'm tired of the gradual increase trend I'm seeing over the last three months - it is a small gain now, but if I don't clean my diet up a little it will be ten pounds before long... Someone said it last week, an extra 100 calories a day doesn't seem like much at the time, but it adds up!

I got up and did my strength training this morning! Woo hoo! And, DH spent 40 minutes on the treadmill yesterday while I was cooking dinner. He has found a new motivator in the weight loss game - he wants a convertible, most likely a used Mustang, has a buddy who will help him fix it up so he thinks he can get one for a decent price. Had one when he was younger, but had to sell it... He has set the goal that he won't even consider buying one until he reaches his goal weight and fitness level. Hey, whatever works.

Dagmar - I'm sorry you are having so much trouble with DH. I was in a similar spot last year - DH was in class or prep for the CCNA for almost the entire year, and was in a bad place for most of it. I did all the household work, inside and out. In my case, it got better when he finished the class and got certified. I was going to suggest the same thing as Megan, have you thought about counseling, even just for you? I don't know how your medical insurance works in Canada, but here some plans have Employee Assistance Programs, where you can call and talk to someone over the phone for a little support?

WardHog - I hear you on the bikini... I've never worn one before and am determined that this is going to be the year...

Hi Suzanne! Wine & chocolate... yum.... I haven't kicked those habits either...

Kim - DD's running sounds pretty neat! Maybe he will learn to enjoy it over the two months!

Megan - reunions are a great motivator, aren't they? My 20 year high school reunion will be next summer, and DHs is this year. I don't know which one I want to look better for - my ex husband will likely be at DHs reunion, and I would love to look off the charts hot for that one...

Good day to everyone!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-11-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon--glad you are "back in the groove" and the scale is cooperating! Those reunions are motivators!! I am just bummed that when I went to my 20 year HS reunion a few years ago, I was heavy. I remember thinking I looked much better than many of my classmates then-- imagine if they saw me now 45 pounds lighter! Oh well.... I also wish my mom could have seen me thin, but some things aren't meant to be....

Megan-- that is exciting that you are already seeing results in your veggie garden. Dh just planted ours last weekend-- mostly tomatoes, a few peppers, a blackberry and a raspberry bush. We also have a lemon and a lime tree that haven't produced much before but look like this will be the year!

Dagmar-- I hope you can get through to your dh to get him some help. He does sound depressed. My dd has been through depression and it is a terrible thing. I have a weight loss buddy that is going through a very hard time with her marriage, her job, and her kids. She is finding it very hard to stay motivated as well.

I had a great workout last night too. Woke up today with a ferocious headache. We are having terrible winds here and I suspect the allergens are blowing all over the place. Feeling very stressed still with all I have to do for my class. I was contemplating taking a day off to try to get stuff done, but I really can't so sleep may have to suffer as a result. I need to read 3 books for this week's module (I've read one), 3 for next week, and a huge one for the mother/daughter bookclub I run (not to mention the huge project I need to start/finish). Uggh.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #25  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Michele, the allergens are killer right now. Last night after my run I got a terrible headache, and I'm not sure if it was caused by allergies, or by my allergy medicine! It's super-windy here too.

DH has garden mania right now. You would not believe how much $$$ we have spent on the yard so far this year, it's really frightening! DH has his seedlings growing under grow-lights still but May 10 is our frost-free date so they'll be planted out soon. We have peas, lettuce, pak choi, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and broccoli growing right now. I think he planted some carrots and radishes too but I'm not sure. As usual he has trays full of tomato seedlings waiting for it to be hot. We also planted two blueberry bushes and a gooseberry bush this year, plus the two raspberries we had last year (off of which we got exactly one berry! ). Oh and DH bought rhubarb to try again with (the one he bought last year didn't make it).

Is it farmer's market time yet???
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #26  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I was 7 months pregnant at my 20-yr high school reunion. No worries for me about being heavy.

My daughter is thrilled that her little sunflower seeds from her Easter basket have sprouted. That's about all the gardening we're doing here. I wonder if it's too late to plant some tomatoes.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #27  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Good morning, everyone!

My son wants to try growing strawberries. I keep telling him that we already have a vegetable garden: hostas and tulips for the deer, coral bells and aegopodium (aka, creeping fangtooth Kim's-bane) for the groundhogs. Somehow, I don't think he's buying it.

Workout accomplished for the day. Leg day, in an un-air-conditioned gym. Uggh.

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Day 1 of my experiment is under my belt. I feel great! DH? Not so much. As soon as I went to bed he started snacking. I'm thinking I ought to take him off of my experimental plan and just do it myself for the next few weeks. I think we'll discuss it at lunch, however, he really needs to lose 20 pounds or more himself.

Nothing much else going on here. Sorry to hear your DH is bugging you once again, Dagmar.

Kim, I can't remember how old your son is, but it might be a fun experiment to grow a strawberry plant. If the animals always eat your plants, you can put a chicken wire fence around that one plant and spray it with dish soap (that supposedly keeps the deer at bay and might work on the groundhogs).

Wardhog~at my 20 year reunion I was in a pretty decent place weight-wise. I know I weighed less than when I was in high school, but wasn't quite to my goal. Now the 30 year reunion is looming in the not to distant future. Wow, just 2 more years!

Hi to everyone else I've missed!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #29  
Workin' It

I am having a bad pants day. Just got these last Saturday, they are the right size, even a little loose in the waist - I can get two fingers in side by side between me and the waistband, but the crotch is uncomfortable, the fabric is clingy, the legs don't feel right and I am pretty darn miserable. I know I'm a little bloated still (a 1 inch difference on my waist measurement this morning) but geez, I'm not a whole size bloated! I need to do a better job of screening before i buy pants! I swear, it wasn't this bad at the store... I'll give them another shot once the retained water clears, but might be returning these pants... Darnit. The worst part is that they hang beautifully when I'm standing up and really do look good....

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 04-28-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #30  

Hi maintainers,

Can't respond to every post, but hi to everyone!

Shane - wellcome back! You can include me on the "pounds creepage " club. And I know exactly where that is coming from...100 cals of bad choices everyday will add up to 6 kgs over a year. But it is very difficult to get them off, even tough 200 cals less a day, over a year, would undo the damage.

Dagmar - I ear you on the depression thing. I have depression issues myself, and DD used to be poretty negative. Apart from counseling and medication and exercise, which your DH might not be into, we used the following:
1. an indexcard with a positive thought like "I'm good at...., I'm lucky to have..." and read this every morning, first thing as you wake up
2. "3 good things" every morning name 3 things that went well the previous day and 3 things that you look formward to each day.
These might sound pretty childish, but it helps us focus on the good things instead of the bad things, and that has a positive effect.

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote