3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat - Week of November 5 - 11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/126489-maintainers-chat-week-november-5-11-a.html)

baffled111 11-09-2007 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 (Post 1924869)
I wore a new pair of size 10 jeans tonight and I just bought them the other day -- they were actually baggy, kind of falling off. So I'm wearing my other new jeans tomorrow - size 8. :) They were too small when I bought them.

Argh. I gotta tell you, while I enjoy the NSV of too big clothes I feel REALLY frustrated that I spent a ton of money on new clothes in September and now pretty much all of them are too big. I pulled a new, unworn blazer out of the closet the other day, looking to wear it for the first time, and the damn thing is HUGE. There's a ton of spare fabric through the waist. I can't spend anymore money on clothes and it's extra annoying because I've lost all of 2lb (although possibly 6lb of fat). I abhor walking around in clothes that are hanging off me. It looks sloppy and I think it adds 10lb.

Grr.

Sorry. Back to regularly scheduled programming. :)

BillBlueEyes 11-10-2007 06:40 AM

I got found out

Baffled - Yep, that's an awful downside of losing weight and losing inches. :(

I got so tired of donating clothes with original tags attached as I assumed that my body was done at several stages along my 80 pound journey. Even with 8 months constant weight, I'm still so skittish that I won't spend much money on new clothes, but have the non trivial problem that NOTHING from 80 pounds ago can be worn.

So, I've resorted to a series of purchases from Good Will, yard sales, even eBay. I hoped I was merely getting by, but then got hit by an unexpected compliment, "That's a really nice pattern in your Harris Tweed sports coat, where did you get it?"

I felt like I'd been found out, LOL.

Good luck finding your path through this dilemma.

rockinrobin 11-10-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baffled111 (Post 1924908)
Argh. I gotta tell you, while I enjoy the NSV of too big clothes I feel REALLY frustrated that I spent a ton of money on new clothes in September and now pretty much all of them are too big. I pulled a new, unworn blazer out of the closet the other day, looking to wear it for the first time, and the damn thing is HUGE. There's a ton of spare fabric through the waist. I can't spend anymore money on clothes and it's extra annoying because I've lost all of 2lb (although possibly 6lb of fat). I abhor walking around in clothes that are hanging off me. It looks sloppy and I think it adds 10lb.

I've had this problem too. Just when I thought I was past that point, I'd drop a couple of pounds. And lo and behold, the formerly fitted nice pants that I spent lots of time looking for and lots of money on, are now baggy and sloppy looking. It's frustrating. I'm thinking of bringing these to the tailor, but I'm waiting - just in case I drop a couple of more pounds, which doesn't seem to be the case. So now, I'm kinda in limbo with them.

I spent soooo much money buying new clothing while losing weight. Some of the stuff I wore literally one time. I should have bought less, but I was impossible. It was very vital to me that I have well fitting clothes throughout my journey. I hate ill fitting clothes. They DO add a good 10 lbs to you. I try to look at it as money well spent, an investment in my health and just part of the process of losing the weight.

LisaMarie - that's great news!!! A size 8? Wow!

LisaMarie71 11-10-2007 06:59 AM

Yep, it IS frustrating, and I've spent soooo much money on transition clothes. I knew that I would be able to fit into the 8 jeans soon, but I wanted some new jeans right away, so I bought a pair of 10s too just so I'd have something (the only other jeans I had were 14s and I couldn't keep them on).

Robin, thank you! I've been wearing a few size 8 pieces for a few months now, but I hadn't tried jeans yet and I've always had to go a size up in jeans. I don't know if that's my body or the way jeans are made. I know we've all said it before, but I just wish sizes were consistent from store to store!!! I'm so tired of not knowing what size to try on and taking two or three of the same piece to the fitting room.

The funny thing is -- when this all shakes out, I think I'll probably be in a 6. So all these 8s and 10s I've bought will go to waste. Ugh. It's good, though, because I never imagined I'd go under a size 12 or 14, to be honest.

Meg 11-10-2007 07:02 AM

It's amazing to me how just a few pounds can make such a huge difference in how clothes fit once we get to a normal weight. It took 35 pounds to change one size when I started to lose weight. And now I'm just like all of you -- three pounds either way and things can be too tight or too loose. :dizzy:

My advice is to make friends with a good tailor. :)

Once I reached a size 10, I also thought I'd never go lower so I started buying pants. Opps! And yeah, my body kept changing once I reached goal. But it's so hard to wait and not to buy all the cute stuff, I know!

Baff, :high: on the body fat. Think it has anything to do with squats? :strong:

I was planning on the gym this morning but took two bites of plain yogurt and feel really queasy. So I think it would be prudent to hold off on the gym until I figure out what's going on. Cardio usually makes me feel like I'm going to toss my cookies anyway -- don't want to do it for real!!

What's everyone up to this weekend? Does anyone get three days off for Veteran's Day?

PS - Baff, your avatar still looks like a nose to me. What's that say about my psyche? :lol:

Kery 11-10-2007 07:18 AM

Good afternoon everyone. :)

Ah, clothes - those are a problem. I've been lucky in that regard recently, because my sister has given me plenty of her old ones, when she was about my weight a few years ago. But if I had had to buy enough jeans/shirts in my current size, I'd probably still go in summer clothes right now, for want of money. Are we replacing food addiction with clothes addiction? :D

I'm afraid my week-end will mostly be a pretty boring one filled with school work, but tomorrow at 16, I'll go see King Lear (the play), which we're currently studying. So I guess it's both fun and homework at the time. I really love this play, so now of course I can't wait!

And I'm done with my shopping, so no junk food to munch on in the house either. ;)

MileHighMama 11-10-2007 10:03 AM

Count me in as one who spent a ton of money on clothes along the way... Shopping was one of my diversions to stay out of the cookie jar and it kept me motivated to keep on track when I was tempted to diverge... I did buy everything on sale and never spent a lot of on any item but put together it was a lot, and it was hard to say no to items because they looked so good on me, compared to how it used to be when I would buy anything that fit. I was wearing size 14s but probably should have been in 16s so if I needed, say, a black pair of pants, I'd try on 30 pair to find a 14 that would fit. How crazy is that?

Robin, I agree about just looking at the money spent on clothes along the way as part of the cost of getting healthy. Plus, I figure I am saving a ton of money on not eating out so much, and not running to the store for treats. Still, I have a gym membership now and spend $3 for a pint of raspberries rather than $1.69 for a bag of M&Ms, but we won't count that... :)

Like Lisa, I thought I'd end up a 10 or maybe even an 8 if I was lucky and here I am in a 6. Strange. Now I find myself being more selective about what I buy. I do have about 10 size large sweaters and tops that I bought late last year and they are too big this year. It's so strange because I've only dropped about 3 pounds since then. Meg, I guess it's like you said about how your body keeps on changing, especially if you are exercising and lifting... And it's funny how just a few pounds can make a huge difference in how something fits. My old stuff would fit--or i'd make it fit--with 10-20 pound weight fluctuations. I think part of it is i'm pickier now...

Thanks for the compliment, Stephanie. Glad you're turning into a karaoke star, Lily! When are we going to see those shots of you in your Halloween costume?

I hope everyone has a great Saturday. I'm trying to get started planning my son's graduation party and get ready for Christmas because I know we will be slammed in December with work. Today is a planned rest day from the gym and it felt pretty good to get up and shower, and not get all hot and sweaty and then come home wet and cold...

Pam

ennay 11-10-2007 11:17 AM

Morning all!

Still struggling mightily with depression. Yesterday I had a pretty good day foodwise even though I had binge urges all day. Was at the upper end of where I want to be, but still there. And then BAM a 900 calorie binge in the last 1/2 hour of the day.

Off to the gym soon, I was finally cleared for lower body exercises without extra weight (squats and lunges). Yay!! so I did 2 sets of 20 reps yesterday. I felt so silly doing the squats without weight. But my butt hurts today...how quickly it goes away.:( I'll be limited to high rep stuff for several months, which is ok. As a runner high rep is better training, but this is the down season where I wanted to do lower rep, higher weight.

I cant find any jeans that fit me right now, so I have given up and am just slinging around in yoga pants most of the time.

alinnell 11-10-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1925031)
It's amazing to me how just a few pounds can make such a huge difference in how clothes fit once we get to a normal weight. It took 35 pounds to change one size when I started to lose weight. And now I'm just like all of you -- three pounds either way and things can be too tight or too loose. :dizzy:

Geez, isn't that the truth? Three pounds and I have a muffin top to go with my jeans!

Today I'm off for a haircut. I may be chopping it ALL off!! I can't quite decide yet, but I've hated the last two cuts and my thinking is that if I do a radical change I will eventually get back to the style in my sig photo.

ETA: Last night was football night. There was a collision (tackle) and the person injured was our head coach! Yikes! He ended up with a dislocated and fractured knee and had to be taken away by ambulance. He have a thumbs up as he was being loaded up and the band played the fight song at the same time. We ended up losing, but still clenching the 3rd spot for the playoffs.

baffled111 11-10-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg (Post 1925031)
]PS - Baff, your avatar still looks like a nose to me. What's that say about my psyche? :lol:

Is that really a question you want me to answer? :p

Meg 11-10-2007 02:41 PM

Absolutely not. :lol:

kaw 11-10-2007 03:18 PM

I can't believe how many posts there are ... it's absolutely wonderful, but also tough to keep track. We've got maintainers burning fat (way to go, baffled!), others burning furnaces (phew, glad it wasn't more serious, stephanie), and still others burning through clothes money (I hear you, Pat & Baff).

I'm back from the gym. It's an odd time for me. I don't usually go on Saturdays, because the gym doesn't open until noon and by then I've usually found something else to do with my day. They were holding training for the new gym monitors/"trainers", and it made me cringe. The squat lesson was surprisingly good, but then the leader went over to the ab/ad machine (aka, the gyno machine) and starting waxing poetic about how they were so great for toning. Uggh, those things should be taken out and, well, burned!

Kim

PS. In case you're wondering what parts of me look like, I posted some pics this morning in The Group Formerly Known as Ladies Who Lift. I think this should work: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...5&postcount=44

Meg 11-10-2007 03:47 PM

Kim, my jaw is on the floor. Your photos are unbelievable! You honestly could go on stage tomorrow and blow away the competition. What a tribute to hard work, clean eating, and -- ta dum -- heavy weights! :strong:

WaterRat 11-10-2007 05:18 PM

Oh my Kim - those are some awesome muscles! :) You - or parts of you :lol: - look terrific.

Meg, hope you're feeling better. I felt like that last Sat and had a rest day myself.

DH is off to do his stint at the Recycle Center. I'm supposed to be going to the gym, but I'm waiting for the last load of wash to finish so I can put it in the dryer. We spent the morning installing my "new" dishwasher. It was new this summer, but was just put in place without being really installed (long story) and this week DH felt better so he figured it all out and we did it this morning - without too many :censored: words. :lol:

We have an anniversary dinner for our church tonight - so who knows what will be served. I figure I'll eat what looks "safe" and have something more when I get home. It's a 6, so a little early to eat something beforehand - esp as it's 1 pm now, and I've had lunch and will have a yogurt after the gym.

I do have Monday off, and I'm looking forward to it. Weekends have been too short lately to get everything done I want to. Of course, I'll pay for it on Tuesday when it'll be Monday to the 3rd degree. . .

Okay, time to get out of the sweats and into the baggy jeans and off to the gym. I hear an elliptical calling my name......

Mel 11-10-2007 05:32 PM

:lol: The Group Formerly Known as Ladies Who Lift :lol:

Those picture are fantastic!
OK, I was the one who griped about the name and now we seem to have no identity!

ennay- I have lots of HARD body weight leg exercises. Some are sheer strength and some are strength/endurance. Do you know what a "leg crank" series is?
20 body weight squats, 20 alternating leg lunges, 20 jump squats, no rest. Rest 1 minute, then do it again :devil: If you can't jump, do step ups. PM me if you want some tough body weight or light weight exercises.

I have clothes in every size from 18 down to 2p. I had no patience and could never envision myself smaller than a 10. It was unbelievable to me when I went to single digits.

I look at the money spent on my business clothes as part of my maintenance plan.

Mel