3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Living Maintenance (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/)
-   -   Maintainers Chat - Week of November 5 - 11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance/126489-maintainers-chat-week-november-5-11-a.html)

Megan1982 11-06-2007 08:15 AM

Goodness, we have several early birds this morning.

I lifted weights and worked on my core for 1 hour yesterday, and 15 minutes on the bicycle at the gym, resting my weight on me heel and with low resistance. I'm not sure if I should go home and ride my bike today, again just not putting pressure on the top of my foot, or let it be. I am so impatient, and the hypochondriac in me is crying to get out and make me go see someone NOW. This is going to be hard for me.

Kim, I can relate to you completely - it's great to see your family, but nice to get back to your routine too.

Lily, I don't know about diabetic cookbooks either, but I'm glad your sis's surgery went well, and that she seems like she wants to change for the healthier.

If you haven't seen it, Shane has hit goal and posted her story here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...hreadid=126583
Congratulations Shane! Be sure to check it out. ;)

I hope everyone has a great day! :wave:

Megan1982 11-06-2007 08:16 AM

But hey, Lily, since the word "diabetic" is now linked in my post to "information about diabetes" maybe that can lead you to a good cook book.

NightengaleShane 11-06-2007 08:25 AM

Awww, Megan, thanks for posting the link to my story... as if the link in my signature wasn't ostentatious enough ;) :o

You know, there are A LOT of maintainers here and I'm pretty sure not all of you have posted goal stories and photos. Those who haven't should do it.

Welcome, Cynthia! :D You can "join" us now and start posting. No one's going to e-yell at you for having 13 more pounds to lose ;) I, too, started posting here before I was done losing *all* my weight in hopes to get an idea of what maintenance feels like, PLUS I *was* sort of maintaining because the last few pounds took forever to come off.

AnneWonders 11-06-2007 08:26 AM

Hi everybody! Congrats Shane! Welcome Cynthia!

Well, ennay, I tried to take your advice and went to go pick up Shrek, but to my horror it was rated PG. DD is extremely sensitive, so I opted for A Bug's Life which is G. Popped that sucker in and we didn't make it past the mean grasshoppers who came to threaten the ants. Well, at least I think that was the gist of it, because in my weakened mental state the plot seemed kind of complicated! ;) Back to Dora. She did ask to watch "Bugs" this morning, but I'm thinking she was stalling for daycare.

I made it past 6 pm yesterday, even with no real nap. Lasted until 8:40, after DD went to bed and DH and I watched the NY Marathon that we DVRed on Sunday. I actually feel more or less OK today. I think it helped that the cold is FINALLY almost gone after four (4) weeks!

Anne

AnneWonders 11-06-2007 08:29 AM

Shane, I find goal an, um, unhelpful concept, at least for me personally, which is why you don't see it anywhere in any of my things. There is an older section, where Maintainers posted our stories. Lemme find it...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34539

and photos...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34677

Neither of these seem to be used much anymore. But mine is there, and I know some of us other old-timers are there too.

Meg, has the time come to integrate the Maintainer Introductions into the Living Maintenance section, possibly as stickies? It isn't used much these days, as evidenced by the sparse welcome new posts are getting there.

Anne

AnneWonders 11-06-2007 08:36 AM

Rant

Did I mention that one of my coworkers brought in 100 bags of post-Halloween candy? Now I have this to deal with. What are people thinking?

Anne

DGAdDawg 11-06-2007 08:45 AM

Morning everyone! WOW everyone is chatty this week.

Shane-- congrats!! You look great!

Lily-I hope everything goes well with your sister.

Cynthia- Welcome! I'm fairly new here too. Just jump right in. Like you, I still have a bit to lose...but I want to "maintain" and keep that previous 40 off!

::sigh:: This whole "scale is wrong" thing sucks. I still weigh myself on it and just add 8 pounds...so this morning it read 114.5 so its actually(i think!) 122.5. I'm wondering if its going to be possible to hit my goal of 110 because I have much more muscle than I did last year at this time when I hit my low(107...probably too low). and really, its only my stomach that is bothering me! My thighs have toned up nicely, as well as my arms. Those of you who do core workouts...suggestions! I get so bored doing crunches.

Still on the job hunt. I was asked back for a 2nd interview at the place I went to 2 weeks ago. It seems like a nice work environment(The office is really young...most of the AEs are between 21 and 27) but the job seems like it would get old fast. Oh well. I just need a job! I've applied for a bunch the the past 2 weeks. Maybe I'll start to hear something soon.

oh...has anyone else played on igoogle.com?? How did I now know about it til now! You can even track your "moving weight" with one of the gadgets and set it up to get all sorts of news and tips. Obsession.

Off to get ready for work! Its so cold here. Have a great day!!

joyofsix 11-06-2007 09:39 AM

Morning all! I'm on my fourth cup of coffee. But hey, I've been up since four. Yesterday went well until I didn't get to eat supper. That means when I got home from Cub Scouts I sucked up way to much junk-Hershey bar, 2 bowls of cereal, piece of chicken that was supposed to be my dinner. I've got to plan better. Maybe even pre-plate my stuff or something. Getting less busy is not an option.

Shayne-Congrats on goal!
Lily-I'm glad your sis is doing well. I'd search allrecipes or epicurious for good thanksgiving recipes.
Anne-My usual I'm so tired I'm gonna die kid care is to gate us in to a safe room, put on Dora or Barney, etc and have puzzles, or something etc. I try to keep things back so I can offer a puzzle or toy they haven't seen in awhile so it seems new. Color wonder stuff is good if she likes to draw. It won't mark up the wall. And hey, if a babysitter is available, go for it. I remember feeling sooooo tired.
Allison-My oldest dd is a non sentimental type too so when you can get to them it's twice as sweet.

kaw 11-06-2007 10:06 AM

Anne: It took my son a while to warm up to Bug's Life, too, for the same reason. He liked (and likes) Shrek 2 better than Shrek, because of the intro scene in Shrek in which the townspeople chase Shrek with torches.
Curiously, he's always loved Finding Nemo, despite its use of the traditional Disney story line in which the mother kicks the bucket.

Back from my workout, now it's off to work.

Kim

clvquilts 11-06-2007 11:01 AM

Hello Cynthia! You'll find this forum a great place to hang out.

Wow Shane, I didn't even recognize you without your spikey hair in the before pictures. I can tell you did modeling in the past and that you favor your left side.

With all the talk of Jessica's wedding and Meg's DD's, it reminds me of mine. My mom waited 30 years to have mine and she did all the planning. At one point when I made a suggestion of what I'd like the invitations to look like, she got very mad and said, "You got to pick the groom, your dress, and the date, and that's all you get to pick." Then she'd call me 10 times a day at work and tell me all the little details she was deciding on but wouldn't let me have any input. I got really frustrated and told her she couldn't keep calling me at work.

The wedding and reception turned out fantastic. The weather was goregious. The only thing DH and I wished we had was a professional photographer, but my mom wouldn't let us and that begame another big fight. A photographer at a friend's DD's wedding had been rude to my mom and she never got over it...

Since my DH had asked my dad for my hand in marriage, when he lost his job, my dad thought he could call off the wedding! I had to explain to him that DH had asked as a courteous and that my dad didn't have the power to stop me marrying him.

It all worked out in the end and everyone is very happy with everyone else.

NightengaleShane 11-06-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clvquilts (Post 1920126)

Wow Shane, I didn't even recognize you without your spikey hair in the before pictures. I can tell you did modeling in the past and that you favor your left side.

Yup, true on both counts :)

my left side is my "good side" :lol:

I think my nose and smile look better on my left side. Everyone else tells me there is no difference, but I'm a strangely self conscious sort.

I'm so glad your wedding turned out well even IF your mom was insistant about doing all the planning and your dad almost wanted you to dump your husband ;)

Megan1982 11-06-2007 11:16 AM

Welcome, Cynthia!

Anne, ugh, 100 bags?! Could you at least have it put away in another room or in a cabinet or something? Maybe being out of sight, out of mind will help...

DGAdDawg, so, other than this number on the scale "changing" by 8 do you feel any different? Why should a number changing alter how you feel about all you've accomplished so far, or make it any less satisfactory (trying to think of another word more appropriate there, but I can't right now). So maybe your "goal" will change, but what is a goal anyway? Things change, bodies change, people change. The concept of "goal" is a fluid one to me. If you get to where you want your body to be, you are happy and healthy, and this number on the scale isn't quite the number you expected, perhaps you should change your expectations or "goals". It's ok if you decide to change that number.

I personally use the scale as a tool to keep me in check. It is not the be all and end all of my self esteem as related to my body. So don't get too wrapped up in the numbers. Don't let them stress you out or psyche you out. You have and continue to accomplish a great deal with your body and health, and you should be proud of that.

paperclippy 11-06-2007 12:53 PM

DGA - thanks for the iGoogle link! Wow, why didn't I know about this before? I put together a tab of "healthy living" stuff including a daily nutrition checklist, weight tracker, exercise tips, and recipe search.

Anne - Glad to hear you're feeling better! Now I feel bad about bringing all my leftover candy to work! :lol: I brought it in so I wouldn't eat it all at home. Maybe your coworker is trying to watch their own weight?

Carolyn - That is so crazy about your mom and the wedding. My MIL's mom bought her wedding dress for her, without asking, and it was the wrong size, but she was like "BTW, I bought your wedding dress. It was on clearance and is the wrong size but I'm sure we can work something out." :rolleyes:

Lily - for thanksgiving recipes try cooking light's recipe search at myrecipes.com. Not sure if they have sugar-free stuff but it's worth a look. At least they will have healthier stuff for your regular main dishes and sides.

So we went to DH's parents' house for dinner and watching football Sunday, and last night we had a message from his mom which was totally bizarre, about how great it was that we came, and she was so happy that I had brought some food and "helped make dinner" (I peeled four carrots, not much of a contribution!) and organized her coffee/tea cabinet. ??? She was like, in tears happy. I totally don't get why she likes me so much. She's super excited about these things I consider common courtesies (like offering to help out when someone else is cooking), but it seems like it's only when I do it. DH's brother's girlfriend does most of the same stuff but doesn't seem to get much credit for it.

Our company is having their annual health fair tomorrow. I signed up for a flu shot, 10-minute chair massage, and yoga class, but not for the blood pressure/glucose/cholesterol screening. I think I've had all that other stuff tested recently enough (and had good results) that it's not worth the pain of having them attempt to get blood out of me (my blood likes to stay in my body!).

alinnell 11-06-2007 01:55 PM

Busy, busy day for me.

I had to go to Kinko's and copy a job file for our lawyers--we're named in a lawsuit. What a pain! It took me 2 hours to copy it and make sure I got it all in order. This afternoon, DS and I have dentist appointments.

I got my run in this morning and it felt great! It almost makes me want to go again tomorrow, but with this cold it might not be a good idea. DD is feeling a lot worse than I am. I almost feel like I'm at the tail end of the cold whereas she is having difficulty breathing and is coughing a lot. I wanted her to stay home today, but she doesn't like to miss school (despite the fact that she skipped one class yesterday because she hadn't done the homework--it doesn't make sense, does it?).

Lily~the American Diabetes Association (diabetes.org) has a store with some cookbooks in it.

:welcome2: cynthia!

Hi to everyone else!

lilybelle 11-06-2007 02:11 PM

Hi everyone, I feel great that I've now stayed perfectly on plan with food and exercise for 5 days straight. DH is back home now and things will be more challenging for me, but I am not going to stray. I'm gonna keep in mind how good it felt to put on my smallest jeans this morning without them feeling too tight. Bad news is that I drove DH's jeep to the pharmacy and got oil field sludge on my favorite jeans. I don't know how he manages to get this junk all over his vehicle. Ugggggggggh

I've been paying all my bills this morning. (a chore I hate). I want to start my Christmas shopping, but that is hard to do with my extra attorney expenses this month over the deal with Shelbey. I'm wanting to buy a new computer for Lacy and Shelbey and kick them off my computer. LOL, but they would love having their own. It's hard for me to have time to write on my book with the girls being computer hogs.

Jessica,thanks. I will try that cookinglight recipe site. I did find I have one diabetic cookbook that I didnt know I had.

I talked to Linda again this morning and she does seem to understand how necessary it will be for her to eat healthy and lose weight. I guess having to take 100Units of Insulin twice a day helped her see the big picture. I wish she didn't live 1 1/2 hrs. away or I would be her walking buddy. She expects to be out of the hospital by Thursday and I plan to visit her at home and do some shopping for her to get healthyfood. (her cabinets right now look like a Debbie Cake factory).

Jessica, my MIL always seems very appreciative that I always clean her kitchen when we eat a meal at her home. (even the huge holiday meals). But, noone else ever offers to help me. I would insist that Lacy help, but it wouldn't be fair since DH lets all 4 of his girls just sit on their butts after a meal and not help clean up. So, I just grit my teeth and do it. I was raised differently. If you ate somewhere other than a restaurant you were Expected to help clean up afterwards. I would find it totally wrong of me to leave the mess to my MIL after she has spent the day cooking. I'm really glad you brought this up cause it reminds me to have a talk with both Lacy and Shelbey on how I do Expect them to help clean up after our Thanksgiving dinner at my MIL's.