Old 07-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #46  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

This is a great thread!

I feel like crying right now. I so WANT to learn how to listen to my body when I am eating, but I am so bad about ignoring my body.

It's not a matter of not knowing what is the right way to eat - I already know a lot about that. I just don't want to have to count calories for the rest of my life to lose weight.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #47  

Welcome Tanna and great insight, Trish.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #48  
Intuitive Eater

Welcome to the IE thread Tanna. I understand what you are saying about having to count calories for the rest of your life. It gets old. It gets frustrating. Re-learning to eat intuitively definitely takes time and patience and if you're trying to lose weight on top of that it can get quite frustrating as well, especially when you don't see the scale moving the way you would like it to. But, the bottom line is, I think those of us who are sticking with IE (no matter how many twists and turns or how far we get off the path at times), I think we all realize that there is no better way. We have tried all the diets, more than once. We've given it all we've got but haven't gotten anywhere. We realize that life wasn't meant to be lived with a fork in one hand and a calculator in the other. Years of imposed rules on eating (self-imposed or otherwise) are taking their toll. We're not lazy. We don't lack the will power. We're just sick of all the rules and want to live normal lives. Personally, it has taken me almost 30 years to "learn" everything I have "learned" about dieting and losing weight (like a yo-yo, that is). I don't want it to take another 30 just to lose it, but I realize that that's a lot of UN-learning to do. It's gonna take some time. The best advice I can offer anyone who wants to do IE is to have a realistic view of it. It is definitely NOT a lose-weight-fast approach. That is not to say that one cannot lose weight at a steady rate, but I believe that how much we have to unlearn will definitely determine our rate of success.

Learning to trust our bodies takes lots of time. Just recently I put a restriction on my carbs because I *know* that eating too many carbs causes me to crave more carbs and pack on the pounds. Not only that but I'm at high risk of developing diabetes and thought that it would be a good idea to try to be proactive against it. What I wasn't doing was trusting my body to tell me what it needed. I was relying on a number to prevent me from getting too much of what I *thought* I didn't need. The result? Diet backlash with binging on carbs. I convinced myself that counting my carbs was still IE, I was just controlling one little area of it. Nope. It's not IE. It was still a diet. Yet another diet I could not stick with. BUT it was an important IE lesson learned and more un-learning of the diet thinking that has ruled my life.

IE takes time and patience. Be kind to yourself if you decide to follow IE.

Have a great one everyone!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Carolr and all IErs,

Bootsie and Tanna. Glad to have you here.

Blue I agree 100%. I am learning the same things you are. I had to learn the same thing about the carbs. I was shocked when I started reading IE book again to learn that I was still dieting.

Principle #1 Reject the Diet Mentality

I think this is going to be a real process time for me. I realized when I went to bed last night that I lay in bed and think "diet" thinking about what I should/shouldn't eat tomorrow. Usually the first think I do when I first wake up in the morning is pray before I even get out of bed. I was amazed this morning when I realized that I wasn't praying. This is when I realized that in the mornings before I get out of bed that my mind wanders to what? "Diet" thinking. I lay there thinking of how and what I should/shouldn't eat today. I ended up telling myself last night and today "No, I am not dieting any more. Stop thinking 'diet'". This is going to take some time to get rid of these "diet" thoughts, rules and regulations that it has taken me about 46 yrs to learn. The sad thing is that until sometime in my early 20s I started learning all these rules. Until thenI was naturally an IE person. IE was "normal" for me, but everyone around me was telling me "You have to learn to eat "normal"... to them it was 3 meals a day and for some it was 3 meals and snacks. I had a dietician friend who wrote up a diet for me. It had 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks. I remember telling someone, "I can't eat all that food. I'll weigh a ton". Now here I am at this age 46 yrs later having to learn how to let that Intuitive Eater back out. She was, is and will be the "normal" again.

Poor DH. I told him last night. I am NOT on a diet and I am NOT going to ever diet again. He probably thinks I've lost it.

Y'all have a great day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-27-2009 at 11:11 AM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Thank You, Trish. I am hiding my scales and start taking my measurements once a month. Those scales are as depressing as the weather man or news any more. I took my leg measurements and lost 1 inch in one week ! I plan on August 2nd to start taking my measurements once a month, life is depressing enough with out making it worse. I been eating, breakfast, one good meal a day and eating light for supper. Exercising more and living on a ranch that is not hard to do.I put on my mile counter and I walk 5 to 8 miles a day.
I built my dog a pen today but still got to find her a dog house she will like. She is kinda having to get used to it for it has more shade trees and she has not got a straight running path. She is a border collie and she is the fastest dog I ever saw! I been trying to get her to gain some weight but she runs all the calories off! I wish I could be that actived! it want be long before she starts running around those trees like a horse barrel races.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #51  
Intuitive Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
Thank You Carol! I am new at this diet, going to check with some resale stores see if i can find a book. Right now its just eating till your full, making healthy choices and keeping God first right? I can do that!
Hi Bootsie, welcome! Glad to have you with us!
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #52  

Thank you Blue Serenity, I have been having trouble being a yo -yo in the past, been First Place for 9 years which I did lose weight but begin to yo-yo and I have been on the atkins diet and lost weight. I have been on lots of others with no results, I feel not weighing in is going to help me and taking my measurements because I would gain 2 to 10 pounds in one day before I was to weigh in, which was water but still it weighed! I find life less stressful not weighing every week and turning it in. Which I need a little less stress in my life.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 155/143/128

Height: 5'9"

I have been lurking and researching intuitive eating and body acceptance for a while now, and reading this thread is usually a wonderful little part of my day, but I am noticing some attitudes about listening to your body and intuitive eating here that I also notice in myself, and that I have found are harmful to me.

I think that thinking of intuitive eating as another thing to be "good" or "bad" at is dangerous, and is similar to the mentality we use when we are following a diet plan. There is always something which makes us want to eat a certain type of food.

I also think that having the goal of weight loss as the most important thing, or even an important thing in listening to your body tends to make me feel awful about myself, and put me right back into a binge eating/dieting mentality. If I am measuring my worth by my weight, I am no longer concerned with my spiritual, mental, emotional, or even really my physical well-being.

The only way I can listen to my body is if I realise that my body is very wonderful, just the way it is, and knows what it wants. Just because I gain weight or lose weight or stay the same weight does not mean that my body is addicted to a certain type of food, or I am not listening to my body, or I am doing something wrong. Life is very beautiful, and I have begun to realise that being so focused on my weight has drawn me away from living life for anything but being healthy and losing weight, or obsessing over why I am gaining weight.

Does any of this make sense? Or help? I hope I don't sound like I am preaching, as I am feeling lost most of the time myself...
dietcokeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #54  

Dietcokeaddict, thank you for sharing, I am new here, but a-lot what you have said , I can relate too. I been on a-lot of diets and this one is new , still have not got the book, but right now I am concentrating getting my body out of stress, for I think that makes me gain. Anything in a diet that stress's my body at the moment, I will not do. Like have one special day to weigh! As for as I am concerned the scales are one of Satan's tools to use against me. I have been God's work in progress for 9 years and he still is not finished with me. I am hard -headed so stubborn and there are times I don't like me, but he never gives up on me; so why should I give up on myself. I know I been there ,there is another me, I got down to 155 and now I am back up to 199 but I used to be 259! I want to be 155 again but I am going to have to be patient about getting there, it is going to require a-lot of work form me to succeed. Right now it is hard to love myself, but I do have respect for my body, it has carried my soul around for 56 years and I owe to it to be good to it and I will. Does that make sense to anyone?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #55  

Default yes

Life is very beautiful, and I have begun to realise that being so focused on my weight has drawn me away from living life for anything but being healthy and losing weight, or obsessing over why I am gaining weight.

Does any of this make sense? Or help? I hope I don't sound like I am preaching, as I am feeling lost most of the time myself...[/QUOTE]

I think this is right on!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #56  

Default Sharing Journey - Long

Today as I was reading about Pseudo-Dieting, I realized that unknowingly I did this myself. I fell into the trap of “cutting back on food”, but the strange thing is that I didn’t do it to keep from gaining weight. I did it to stay within my allowance budget. My Daddy gave us girls $5.00 when he got paid which was twice a month. I could eat for $.24 a day. Boy those were the days. Then I could have spending money for gas to run around with friends and purchase records or whatever extras I wanted. In my senior year, all my friends went to the little café across the street from the high school. As I write this, everything starts to make sense that happened that year because I changed the way I ate.

I learned that if I had a coke and a package of chips on Monday - Thursday that on Friday I could have a hamburger with the coke and chips. This became my way of eating. Then once a week after school on my way to pick up my Daddy from work, I would stop at my aunts grocery store and have a cold drink and a piece of pastry. My body rebelled, but no one even the doctors couldn’t figure out what was going on. I became lethargic. I had always been active even in sports and suddenly during P.E., I had no energy to participate. I became anemic and experienced dizziness and had fainting spells. The doctor put me in the hospital and ran tests, but couldn’t find what was going on. I even gained about 5 lbs but didn’t gain any more until I was about 20 or 21 years of age. I always thought the weight gain was because of the lack of all the activity.

Now I realize that I started the yo-yo eating and I wasn’t even on a diet. I was just trying to stay within my budget. But our body doesn't know the why's, it just does what it was create to do. When we work against it, this is the results we get. Unknowingly, I was putting my body in a starvation mode which they didn’t even know about back then. Later, I would get with people who said I that to eat certain ways thus the cycle of “diet thinking” and years of dieting.

What a revelation this is to me. I think this will help me a long way. You know what is amazing to me is that my Pastor in the church where we’ve attended now for almost a year eats pretty much what he wants, but recently he made the statement that he usually eats only 2 meals a day. He said that he has always eat this way and he does not have a weight problem. However, he did say that if he ate any other way that he would have a weight problem. This says to me that if I had continued eating the way I had eaten growing up and not put myself in the “starvation mode”, that I would never have had a weight problem in the first place. This also proves the fact that IE book brings out about diets is true. Diets cannot be the solution because they are what causes the problem.

You know the interesting thing about my Pastor is that his wife is on WW not too much over weight at this time and she is always trying to get him to change the way he eats because she thinks that he eats "unhealthy". He is eating Intuitively and as usual, people who follow the "traditional" thoughts of how we should eat thinks he is nuts and eating so unhealthy.

Hope what I learned helps someone else as well as it has helped me.

Y'all have a great IE day.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokeaddict View Post
I have been lurking and researching intuitive eating and body acceptance for a while now, and reading this thread is usually a wonderful little part of my day, but I am noticing some attitudes about listening to your body and intuitive eating here that I also notice in myself, and that I have found are harmful to me.

I think that thinking of intuitive eating as another thing to be "good" or "bad" at is dangerous, and is similar to the mentality we use when we are following a diet plan. There is always something which makes us want to eat a certain type of food.

I also think that having the goal of weight loss as the most important thing, or even an important thing in listening to your body tends to make me feel awful about myself, and put me right back into a binge eating/dieting mentality. If I am measuring my worth by my weight, I am no longer concerned with my spiritual, mental, emotional, or even really my physical well-being.

The only way I can listen to my body is if I realise that my body is very wonderful, just the way it is, and knows what it wants. Just because I gain weight or lose weight or stay the same weight does not mean that my body is addicted to a certain type of food, or I am not listening to my body, or I am doing something wrong. Life is very beautiful, and I have begun to realise that being so focused on my weight has drawn me away from living life for anything but being healthy and losing weight, or obsessing over why I am gaining weight.

Does any of this make sense? Or help? I hope I don't sound like I am preaching, as I am feeling lost most of the time myself...
Thank you for sharing. You are right. I have a post on my mirror in the bathroom that says "My weight is not who I am. It is not a measure of my worth. It is just a number that gives me important information". It was not my idea. I got it out of Dr. Beck's book The Complete Beck Diet for Life. She has her patients say it everyday.

I agree that we need to think of our body as wonderful as it is and that is something I have not come to as yet but hope I will. I too want to stop focusing on the food and the weight loss which is what I hope to accomplish through IE.

Again thanks for sharing. You gave me some good things to think on.

Have a great day.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #58  

I told someone today that I believe if I had never dieted, I would never have had a weight problem. I was thin until after my 4th baby when I had to take prednisone for several months. That started the yo yo going.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #59  

I am finding that I am intuitively eating healthier than I every have and the wonderful thing is that I am not on a diet. I have not had the same thing for breakfast all week. I got up this morning and looked in the fridge and just went with what seemed appealing. For our main meal DH and I halfed a steak and we had salad with it. Neither of us wanted anything else with it so we didn't. It is so nice to eat only what you want and enjoy it. I do need to slow down and savour each morsel. But that will come in time. Right now I am just enjoying eating what I want when I want and as much as I want. Even then I'm learning I don't have to eat a whole lot of it... just what makes me feel satisfied.

This wonderful.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #60  

You know Trish I fixed this great big sirloin steak tonight off of one of our calves and it was delicious, halved with Husband but I ate one forth of it and I was FULL! I could not believe it, I used to could eat mine and his too!