Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #106  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Another on plan day today. I had long meetings at work, and successfully avoided the meeting food, except for the 200 calories I alloted myself. I'm moving on to week 6 of C25K tomorrow.

Bill Good job on rewarding yourself with elbow protein. So much more appetizing than BAIT, but only a bit more costly!

Yes, we each have our own trigger foods, but the little jest yesterday made me seriously think about getting some mint herbal tea or flavoring syrup or something to see if that can tame my appetite.

davidette on your 9 days of sanity! A huge accomplishment. Hope you shake that cold very soon.

Susan/jiving You have a great memory! Wow, on your 103 y.o. client. That's almost worth an Advantage in itself. That meatloaf sounds interesting.

Tera Hurray for 100% and working up a sweat!

I get frustrated a lot. About everything. Work, diet, kids, everything. It comes and goes. I try to work on it, and I seem to be mellowing as I age.

JenMusic Hope you enjoyed your walk!

Chris Smiling about your cadillac pix. Have you decided on your after model yet?

ChinaMaine You have a lot of health issues to deal with, and if you need to rest, you should definitely rest. Nice job being OP for the day!

RobinW Enjoy your wine!

Anne
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #107  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Celebrating two years at my maintenance weight today. CREDIT moi. Thanks to all of you who post for helping me to stay focused. And particularly thanks for helping me to see that each of us has a unique journey - that as I wiggle about finding my path, taking what ideas I can from everyone who posts, that it's my path and it isn't the answer for anyone else. You guys are special; Kudos one and all.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for avoiding meeting food, particularly when meetings are long and/or boring. Interesting notion to incorporate an eating-plan-appropriate mint taste as a firewall against hunger.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for crazy busy. And Yay for relaxing peacefully.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for going the extra distance to take out the trash. Ouch for curdled soy milk; interesting tip on how to add it to hot stuff.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Yay that the Cadillac pictures continue to work. My nomination today is the new GM Volt - that car appeals to me. Sending supportive thoughts to your DH for his continuing saga.

ChinaMaine - Yay for a brisk walk without fatigue. Hope the blood tests go well.

davidette - Kudos for incorporating the flexibility into your plan that allowed a joyous nine days with your DS. And Kudos for following that plan.

RE using whey protein: I mix a scoop with about six ounces of skim milk before a weight training session. I've bought into the idea that stressing muscles breaks them down, that readily available protein helps the rebuilding, that whey protein is the most readily available, and that it has to be consumed within an hour of the stress for greatest effect. Maybe this is so, maybe not, but the extra protein in my day is useful even if it isn't. I associate the chalky taste with soy protein - which I also have a difficult time with. If you haven't tried the whey, you might find it to have a dairy taste, not a chalky taste.

Jen (JenMusic) - Yay for having a planned day. Hope it's a happy walk. I understand that not everyone would get motivation from a humongous jar of whey protein. My DW, for example, can only think about where such a beast is going to reside in a pantry with finite shelf space, LOL.

Susan (jivingandthriving) - Yay for being 103 and doing exercise class. Neat that you got the seniors moving. At our local assisted living facility they do chair exercises every day; I'm told to a good turnout. Can't help with the seaweed question. But I join the chorus who wants that meatloaf - mango chutney recipe.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 experiment 1
Prove to yourself that you confuse hunger with other states.
If you can figure out your triggers, you'll be better prepared to stand firm and stick to your predetermined plan by telling yourself, No wonder I want to eat ... I usually do at this time ... But it doesn't matter, I'm definitely not going to eat now ... It's worth it to me (and my diet!) to resist.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 74
Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #108  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Red face Wednesday and righting myself again

Hello coaches!

I got on the scale this morning and saw 259 which is a miracle as I had off plan food again yesterday. Not the whole day but after we saw the movie (it was movie day), while sitting on the bus, DH pulled out two baggies of gummy candy and offered me some. I had some. And then right before going to bed, DH had a giant bag of chips and I said "Can I have some?" and had three handfuls and made myself go up to bed already.
DH doesn't always do this, and neither do I. I'll take a mini credit moi for that in the midst of this.

So I had another surprise yesterday and I was thrown off. But in a good way. I found out I was selected to go to the Governor-General's residence for the vernissage for the Canadian Visual Arts Awards. Our school was given 20 invitations and names were pulled from a hat and I won a place to go to the morning event. It's "business formal" and so I need to go shopping for clothes. And you all know how that's making me feel... I wish I was smaller, I'll never find something, I'll look like crap no matter what...all those sabotaging thoughts are there for sure. The event is two weeks from today.

I need a haircut!

Oh no. I have to go or I'll be late.

Will check in again.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #109  

twilit tera CREDIT spontaneous exercise! Every time matters, and every extra step does too. Admire your ability to spot the little things; taking trash, walking a bit farther, etc. Congrats on ANOTHER new low!

re: Frozen - pretty cool

jenMusic Bravo for nonmaterialistic rewards, appreciating goals achieved!

chinamaine Glad to hear you were less tired, CREDIT enjoying upper body workout: "fun, felt great". I understand thyroid function can be tricky in that hypo and hyper have similar symptoms? There is some evidence lots of soy product can affect thyroid function.

anne CREDIT self control with meeting food! I have found the whole process of making hot tea, sipping it slowly, can give cravings time to dissipate on their own; whether it's the flavor or not. Another less enjoyable "trick" I stumbled on is benzocaine cough drops, taste yucky, and nothing tastes good for a while afterwards!

Bill TWO years at maintenance weight. that is just plain awesome.!

Thanks for the clarification on whey versus soy; I never took the time to research it. My next "bucket" of protein powder will definitely be whey! I OD on soy anyway with veggie patties, etc.

Thanks to all for the applause ! The scales didn't do much one way or the other, but I know I worked out my resistance muscle.

Cold seems to be breaking up I'm having trouble getting back to the gym though. Once I get off my routine, I can come up with a million rationalizations not to go. My favorite class is today; I don't feel I can give it 100%, but I'm GOING ANYWAY even if I just walk through it

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #110  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Tuesday Report

100% OP (Food, Supplements, AI, Pool, Mail Trip, Careful Moving, Electronics, Bed, 3FC)

Extra Credit: Again walked to the other side of the complex. Am deciding to make that the plan.

WI: Up 1

I discovered yesterday that a team project is further behind schedule than I had thought. I'm beginning to panic because I play a large part (providing comic art) that depends on receiving the script from a team mate.

I was going to do the whole thing in Prismacolor and ink, but I think I'll have to go with straight ink for everything past the first page to save time. Doing my best not to panic, and wondering if the Prof will give an extension if I explain what happened.

Jen: I'm way to undisciplined to shop from a recipe (and I hate measuring things). I usually use the Ratatouille method and sniff at different things until I find a good match.

I figure the more I experiment, the better I'll get at it. I've never been a "cooker" before, but I just can't keep eating cheap prepared foods and expect to get and stay healthy.

angelmomma: for eating right!

ChinaMaine: Sorry to hear about your health problems and so glad that you are informed and in treatment for them. I hope your fatigue is temporary.

Robin:

Anne: for staying OP through your meetings!

Bill: for 2 years of maintaining! Happy Anniversary!

onebyone: Congratulations on winning a spot on the morning event! I hope you're doing well, countering all those sabotaging thoughts.

My favorite place to shop is Avenue. I discovered Avenue one day when I was out shopping and frustrated because all the plus size stores had "old lady" clothes and all the cute, fashionable stuff only ran to size 14, if that. I was looking into a store window and heaved a deep sigh, just knowing none of it was my size because the clothes were so cute. Then I noticed that the sign in the window indicated that sizes started at 14. I was an instant fan.

If you don't have an Avenue near you, (I have no idea whether they're available in Canada) you might be able to shop online. Their website is www.avenue.com. If you do buy from them online, one word of caution - their sizes tend to run high, so if you usually where a size 20, you'd want a size 18 and so on.

Good luck!!

Davidette: I'm glad you liked "frozen" I would just love to be part of something like that!

Something funny - my mom sent me a link to that video about an hour after I posted it on this thread!

for getting to your class (even if your heart isn't in it)!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #111  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Celebrating two years at my maintenance weight today. CREDIT moi. Thanks to all of you who post for helping me to stay focused. And particularly thanks for helping me to see that each of us has a unique journey - that as I wiggle about finding my path, taking what ideas I can from everyone who posts, that it's my path and it isn't the answer for anyone else. You guys are special; Kudos one and all.
Bill, just a quick CONGRATULATIONS! You should definitely do a milestone post over in maintainers, and link to here of course. Even if it is your path, we can all learn some things from you to help us build better paths of our own.

Back tonight with personals and the news of the day.

Anne
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #112  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Just checking in this morning, before another walk. I usually walk in the afternoons, but I loved the morning walk yesterday! Hard to put a finger on what it was exactly, but it did seem more peaceful, and I was able to push myself a little harder. So I thought I'd do it again this morning. I'm loving getting some Vitamin D this way.

The only downside was that I was SO hungry for the rest of the day, which doesn't usually happen to me after my afternoon walks. In fact, I'm usually not hungry at all after those. Any thoughts?

Bill - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! That's amazing, and inspirational, and exciting. Thanks for being such a consistent motivator and example for us!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Here's the meatloaf recipe, from Eating Well on line (I get a lot of good recipes from there). Someone who made it indicated they used brown rice rather than the special rice, but I made it as written, other than using ground turkey rather than beef. Just realized, that means the calorie count is probably even lower.

Today was disastrous...was running late for an interview with a hospital to teach an Arthritis class, so ate my dinner for breakfast, then was supposed to be fed at a meeting...got delayed too long and I had to leave, so ate too much when I got home, albeit good food. Now I'm going to take a nap so I don't indulge any more.

Curried Black Rice Meatloaf
Meatloaf need not be boring or dry. This version is moist with cooked rice and plenty of vegetables. Curry powder gives extra flavor to the meatloaf and mango chutney spread on top stands in for the traditional ketchup topping.

Makes 8 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes

TOTAL TIME: 2 hours

EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1/2 cup Black Japonica rice blend or long-grain brown rice (see Note)
1 cup water
1 medium zucchini, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
1 tablespoon walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 pounds 93%-lean ground beef
1 large egg, beaten
1/3 cup mango chutney, plus more for serving, if desired

1. Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 50 minutes (see Test Kitchen Note). Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, squeeze any excess moisture from zucchini. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add onion, celery and the zucchini; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and salt until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with cooking spray.
4. Spoon the cooked rice onto a clean cutting board and chop the grains into small bits with a large knife. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables, add ground beef and egg and gently mix until just combined. Place the mixture on the prepared pan and shape into a loaf, about 10 inches by 5 inches. Spread chutney evenly over the top.
5. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf registers 165°F, 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional mango chutney, if desired.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 340 calories; 14 g fat (5 g sat, 1 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 2 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Zinc (45% daily value), Iron (20% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat
Old 03-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Wednesday Hump Day

Beck – WI-down .25 lb. Read cards, made plan for day. As the day as progressed, my jeans seem to be hanging looser. Tomorrow AM’s WI may be interesting…
Food – op, exercise – op. I am stiff, but have no DOMS from the upper body workout yesterday, so I think the fatigue is going to start getting better for the rest of the week.
Bill Wow – 2 years on maintenance – that is amazing. Someday I hope to be able to say the same. Thank you for all your help and support for the 2 months I’ve ‘known’ you. You give so much of yourself, and it does not go unnoticed.

Anne Congrats on the op day (including reasonable in-meeting eating). And kudos for moving onto week 6! Thanks for the kind words…

one by one Is 259 a new low? In any case – BRAVO! It’s physical evidence that you deserve credit for all your hard work! Your upcoming event sounds very cool. I hope you have an Avenue store in Canada – we don’t in Maine. But I went to the website but the clothes look cute and reasonably priced!

davidette Glad the cold is starting to move on. Bravo for going to class today, even if you aren’t really into it today. Take that back, extra credit for going because you aren’t really into it! Thanks for the tip on soy and thyroid. I’ve never looked into it, but I will now. Hopefully the effects are positive, because I drink about 2 ½ cups of soy milk a day. (Not much of a tofu cooker, although I do kind of like the taste…)

Tera 100% op again! Kudos for adding the longer walk to your daily plan. I’ll bet that feels good (to be able to do it every day!) Re group project – this is why I always despised group projects – I always seemed to get burned… I hope it all works out…

JenMusic A morning walk is now part of my daily routine and I love it. I don’t know why you’d be hungrier in the AM though…

Susan Sorry about your disaster of a day. Are you actually writing down a plan for food and exercise yet? I know I was on this list for about a month before I got to that part of the book… You can build some flexibility into your plans for busy days like this *and* keep some onplan food in your purse, car or desk. E.g. I try to always have 1 serving of almonds measured out and in my purse. The idea would be to plan ahead for this kind of emergency so it doesn’t end up taking you off-plan.

Robin
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Congratulations, BillBE!

Well done, BillBE, and congratulations. You are not only our Cyber Sheppard, but our best role model. I love hearing your daily antics and musings.

We got creamed with a real MN blizzard yesterday, but nowhere near 14 " of snow to shovel. Actually blew so hard that some of it went right on out the yard and into the woods. Wind Chill of -25 F felt unseasonably cold. lol. Also unreasonably cold. Seems weird to have it still be light outside at 7:30 and already 10 below.

Am pondering the hunger tolerance, experimenting; some of which backfired. Oh, well. Am still delving into that, but am onto another search as well. Will post more when I know more..just wanted to give a quick shout out to all.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #116  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Bill~
Quote:
Celebrating two years at my maintenance weight today.
Congratulations! Thankyou to you for being here and allowing me to learn from you. You have done a wonderful job staying on track and for letting us learn with you along the way.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #117  

Coaches/Buddies Almost on plan today. I had one (1) single cookie at the big meeting wingding. I think that is probably worth a credit. I started week 6 of the C25K program and had a great run.

DS got sent home from daycare again with a fever, and I'm starting to have some work stress with some "funny" comments being made about my attendance. Don't know whether to really worry or not. Probably not, and DS will have gotten most of the virus exposure done soon. So far, I am not sick.

Bill Congrats again! Thanks for being here. It is a nice stabilizing influence to see your post here every morning.

onebyone Nice work on the new recent low. You can find nice clothes in your size, although to be fair it is usually more work to do so. You are worth the effort though. I actually had way way more "nice" clothes when I was heavier, since I always felt the need to dress up to project a more professional image. These days, I do the minimum I can get away with, and seldom bother with more.

davidette Glad you are feeling better, and nice job on going to class. I had a 20 minute rule for a while once upon a time--I'd try my workout for 20 minutes, and if I still felt awful about it, I could quit with a clear conscious. I think I took that deal maybe twice--I was always glad I did it.

Tera for 100% OP. Hope your partners get it together for your team project.

JenMusic Glad you enjoyed your morning walk. WRT being hungry, you could try moving a scheduled snack into the timeframe of your walk. We process carbs differently after exercise (it is preferentially stored as muscle glycogen), and that difference at an unaccustomed time could be causing the hunger. Then again, maybe it is just one of those things...

Susan Sorry about your disastrous day. Is that typical? If it happens relatively frequently, it may be worth doing some planning (e.g. having meal replacement or energy bars on hand) to avoid a repeat.

ChinaMaine Nothing makes me feel skinny better than loose jeans. Hurray!

maryblu Oh the horror! That is too cold! Glad you survived, and looking forward to hearing more about your search.

RobinW

Off to plan for tomorrow, and maybe do some light reading. Tomorrow morning will be harder since I'm splitting DS's sick day with DH and I'll be home. Maybe I can Wii if DS sleeps at all.

Anne
Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Thank you guys for the congratulations, encouragement, and all the kind words. Today I start my third year in maintenance with the Persist in Victory theme song in my head.

I felt my standard don-wanna-go to the gym after work because we were going out. Then reminded myself that exercise wasn't just for when I didn't have a life. So squeezed it in, with a shortened session on the elliptical. CREDIT moi.

maryblu - Ouch for some serious cold and blizzard here at the start of Spring. Kinda hard to be planting with the wind that strong, LOL.

onebyone - Kudos for getting right back on track after bears and chips. Congrats on breaking into the next lower decade on the scale. Big Yay for heading off to the Governor-General's residence - sounds like a fun place to meet useful contacts and just have a good time with the swells. Two weeks is ample time to remember your positive image of yourself and to remember that people aren't looking at you with evil judgment. As U.S. President Abraham Lincoln said at Gettysburg, "The world will little note nor long remember what you wear there, but they will never forget what you say there." So they'll remember your gracious manner and interests. (Lincoln didn't mention haircuts.)

Anne (wndranne) - Yep, Kudos for a single cookie. "Wingdings" can be such a distraction when there's work to be done. I recently got my name on the wrong list for being tardy in taking the mandatory on-line tutorial on a paper shuffling requirement of the job - naturally I was busy doing the work that the paper shuffling supported. Had to jump rapidly through hoops to get my certificate. Being on the wrong list is even worse than funny comments. Wish you well in standing those down or finding a way to make them cease; sounds like a pain.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Thanks for the congrats. Hope all is moving along calmly toward your networking event. (And hope those 100 boxes of chocolates remain secured, LOL.)

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for making your new plan to walk to the other side of the complex. Ouch for one of the downsides of collaboration; good luck in pulling that one together.

ChinaMaine - Congrats on the "looser jeans." Good news that the fatigue seems to be improving. Kudos for the strategy of keeping a measured serving of almonds in your purse.

davidette - Kudos for standing up to the "million rationalizations not to go" to the gym. I know about those.

Jen (JenMusic) - Yay for vitamin D from sunshine. That morning walk sounds fun - I'm a morning person myself. Don't have any suggestion about why that would trigger the feeling of hunger.

Susan (jivingandthriving) - Thanks for the Curried Black Rice Meatloaf recipe using mango chutney. I do like the notion of using the black rice - that goes on my list to try. Ouch for the "disastrous" day. Kudos for taking a nap to break the pattern.

Readers -
Quote:
What is That Sensation?

Hunger - The gnawing feeling in the pit of your empty stomach.
Non-Hunger - The desire to eat when your stomach is not empty.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 74
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Morning all! New day, new resolve. Home today, only one client and she comes here so have the ability to totally control my eating. Wrote myself a new response card this morning...."little cheats add up to big pounds". I've had bread in the house and have mostly kept it under control, but I find myself slipping into the habit of "well, one piece of bread is ok,"....which it's not.

Need to let good happenings not be forgotten. Even tho' yesterday was not a good eating day, I will focus on the fact that I was able to button my dress pants for the first time in eons. That was a great feeling!

Bill, congrats on the long maintenance. You obviously are a good role model for all of us.

MaryBlu, hard to read about weather like that, not less actually experience it. Hope it gets warmer soon.

China, good luck with today's weigh in. Hope the fatigue dissipates.

Off to exercise.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #120  

onebyone On invitation to go to the arts awards! Now you know darn well everyone else is much more interested in how THEY look than how YOU look. This can be such an enjoyable experience, don't deprive yourself!

tera Kudos for increasing your exercise plan and not letting +1 WI discourage you.

jenmusic I'll join the mystified club on a.m. exercise increasing hunger; I find that exercise decreases my hunger. If it was me, I'd suspect my inner fat chick was looking for an excuse to eat more! I do try to follow any workout with a low calorie high protein drink or snack bar; that may be staving off increased hunger, but I don't notice a big difference if I skip it. I tend to think enjoying your walk is the most significant aspect; anything you enjoy, you'll do more often with less stress!

chinamaine This seems to be a pretty impartial answer to the soy/thyroid question:
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=17011

Personally, since I'm vegetarian and eat lots of soy patties, I moved from soy milk to almond milk; love the taste. I'm also a fan of almonds as a snack (carefully measured!) so now I just have to wait for doctors to find something unhealthy about almonds!

maryblu Looking forward to hearing about your hunger experiments. I can tolerate hunger pretty well, it's when I DO start eating I can't stop, so I find I'm better off trying not to get that cycle started! I saw Dr. Roizen on PBS stating that one overindulgence, like a big Thanksgiving meal, stretched your stomach out so much it takes 6 weeks to return to its former size. So for 6 weeks you will have a different concept of fullness. In the past, I've trained myself to like feeling stuffed ; I'm working on reversing that.

anne I'll give MUCHO CREDIT for (1) single cookie. That's harder than NO cookie! Glad to hear you had a great run. I like the 20 minute work out rule; I did recognize I was sabotaging myself feeling I should not go unless I could give 150%, and take abs class first and do weights afterwards, blah, blah, blah. Just another excuse.

Bill CREDIT fighting the "I don't wanna" adolescent and accepting the idea of a shortened gym session!

CREDIT MOI! I did go to the gym and got a pretty good work out in. Honestly it was much more of a struggle to get there yesterday than my whole week+ of staying OP; I was in a NO CHOICE mindset about eating. But going to the gym; it took me at least 5 minutes to type the sentence "I'm going anyway" yesterday. If I had not had you guys to be my moral authority, I don't think I would have made it, and I'm SO glad I did. I felt 100% better physically, emotionally and mentally! It may be a little thing, just one class one day, but it was a struggle and I won so I'm making the most of it!

to all!
Closed Thread