Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #91  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Hello, Beckbuddies!

I had to post to do some mid-day bragging!

The new soup recipe smells fantastic and is at this moment filling up the house!

Chicken
Chicken broth (100% organic, not from powder or concentrate)
Water
Soymilk (til it's no longer clear)
Chicken breast meat
Green onion
Celery bits
Okra bits
Brown rice
Curry Powder

The soup was complete improvisation. Now, it's driving me crazy because I have left over fowl (chicken or turkey, whichever my husband turns down) and chopped up avocado to use up in a salad today, so no soup til tomorrow!!! I might have to have a little soup anyway.

Robin

Jen: I'm so happy for exceeding your weight goal! I even started chair-dancing for you!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not following the Beck eating plan, only the methodology....find my own cooking is healthy, am generally very careful about everything except quantity and frequency. Using the response cards, weighing food, and being much more mindful has been really helpful. I'm into the second week and amazed at how well I'm doing. I've also upped my calorie level, according to Beck's formula...was always trying for 1200 cal and now am aiming around 1500 which seems to be working much better.

One thing I'm noticing....I didn't have a diet buddy so have been writing to myself every night on the computer, indicating food and mood, etc.....and I managed to exclude writing down little cheats...not consciously...and didn't even remember them until the following day...e.g., eating out and forgetting I had a slice of bread. Just totally blanked on it. Guess that's the devil on my right shoulder trying to take control.

today was a good overall day, got in a 2 mile walk, a dvd workout, and taught 3 classes, 2 of them with weights, so physically feel great. Eating as of 7 pm has been on target.

sorry I don't know everyone's names yet, but look forward to learning.

Susan
Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #93  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Wow what a day!

to all the new folks!!

Nacho soup recipe

1 tube billy dean sausage (I usually sub with 1 lb ground chicken or turkey)(if you dont use billy dean sausage, then be sure to add lots of garlic powder, onion powder, sage and a couple shakes of italian seasoning, salt and pepper)
~ browned with
1 small onion chopped

In a pot
boil
1 bag of cauliflower with
4 cups water and 2 Knorr chicken flavour cubes. Or 4 cups chicken broth.
boil for about 10 min.

Add the cauliflower (without the liquid)and
1 pkg fat free cream cheese
...to food processor and blend til smooth.

Add everything and one can of mild Rotel tomatoes to the ground meat. Simmer for another 10 min and that's it, you're done.

I'll take more time tomorrow for personals. Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Last edited by RobinW; 03-09-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Monday.

Working towards acceptance…
Beck – WI-up .25 lbs. I took 1 hour nap after work; my legs aren’t sore anymore and I feel pretty darn good now. These facts do a world of good for my attitude. I am in this primarily for health (being physically active, having the stamina to hike, kayak and work in the garden; having normal cholesterol, etc.) I definitely want to lose weight, but it’s a secondary goal. The DOMS is really frustrating for me because I don’t just get sore, I can feel pretty serious fatigue. It’s a struggle to get through a full day of work. I don’t know if this lack of stamina is with me now for the rest of my life – I sincerely hope not. If my TSH levels are normal, I’m going to make an appointment to talk to my primary to find out if this is what I have to expect for the rest of my life…
Food – op, exercise – off plan. I planned to work out 45 mins today, and only managed 30 minutes. If I have the energy, I’ll make Wed a 45 minute day instead.
Tera Sounds like you had a great Sunday! 100% op! And passing by girl scout cookies! Hot dogs! Easter candy! And Little Debbies! and Yum your soup sounds good. You’ve successfully made me jealous.

JenMusic Down to 167.6 lbs!!! Credit for all your hard work! And I’m very excited that you are in arm’s reach of crossing the threshold to ‘overweight’! Thanks for the definition of NSV vs SV. I have some NSV goals already – which are actually more important to me than the SV goals. The most important is that I want to have the energy and strength to hike or kayak for a few hours at a time.

Susan I don’t follow the food plan either. I eat pretty well, except when I don’t! So, like you, I use the calorie goals obtained via her formula and the Stage 1 skills. I hope to get into reading Stage 3 more seriously in the next few weeks. I envy how much exercise you do! I’m working to build my stamina. Credit for being so active and op for food!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #95  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Well I had a run in with the ceramic instructor who complained about me (to no avail) to the office and then I came home having not eaten during the day, with groceries I picked up and I ate them and then I did not persist in victory and I went for the pringles-like chips sitting in plain view on the kitchen table for weeks now. Um... can you say setting myself up to fail? yeah. I did everything wrong. OH WELL. No weightloss for today... not the end of the world.
sigh.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-09-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #96  

Coaches/Buddies I made my 2 mile run this morning (Memory Card about the power of persistence). I was on plan today. Weight was a new postpartum low. Good day all around. Credit galore.

I was out kind of late at my triathlon club meeting, so I'm doing my plan first thing tomorrow--b'fast is planned so I just need the rest--so I can get to sleep soon.

ChinaMaine Sorry about the DOMS! I get it bad too, especially when I work my legs. I have to be very consistent about what I'm doing and make small changes and then I'm OK.

kidslibrarylady Welcome back! I have two small children also, DD 3, and DS 9 months. They bring an challenging dimension to all this.

Bill I must be the only person in the world who can take or leave thin mints. I like them, but they just don't trigger anything. I'm the same with mint ice cream. Again, I like it and can eat a reasonable portion, but then have no issues stopping. Hmmm, The Mint Diet! Whaddaya think?

Congrats on your first lifetime victory with them!

Susan/jivingandthriving I'm assuming from your second post you are using the new book, CBDL rather than BDS?

onebyone Good to see you teetering on the edge of the 50s! I am expecting a picture of that graduation dress when the time comes.

What other evil foods do you have "sitting in plain view?" Do you need to stow them under a pile of clutter somewhere?

Tera Nice work passing up the junk food. on your new low!

Pausing and maintaining isn't an option for me, because I am maintaining. I am eating the diet I fully intend to eat for the rest of my life, making it a true diet in the proper sense of the word and not specifically a weight loss diet. This is the right amount of food for a woman of about 160 or so pounds with my metabolism and activity levels. I'm doing the exercise, practicing the mental skills I've practiced since 2002, albeit with a little more structure thanks to Beck as of late. I'm here. The weight will catch up, or it won't (and the last 5 lbs or so will be SLOOOOWWW to come off). Weight is just a side effect. For me there is truly no difference between losing and maintaining. It is all just weight management. I believe that is the reason that, except for pregnancy, I kept the weight off for 6 years. There is no diet to end, and I don't know how to pause my lifestyle in any healthy way. If I were to try to maintain this weight, as opposed to this lifestyle, I'd have to add in a calorie level I neither want nor need, and I'd be reinforcing bad habits I need to leave behind.

Your soup sounds wonderful!

RobinW back.

JenMusic on your 160s! You'll be clicking off your next two before you know it.

'night everybody!

Anne
Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #97  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Susan (jivingandthriving)

Susan (jivingandthriving)

And, in honor of your return to 3FatChicks (using a new name?) after "many years away",

How did you find out about the Beck books?

Which of the two Beck books are you reading?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #98  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Worked my bum off with my trainer on core stuff, including beginning to work my elbow again. CREDIT moi. Was so pleased with being sore that I rewarded myself by buying a 5 pound jar of whey protein. That jar is soooooo huge! The notion is to get myself back into weights, which is when I use the whey protein. So, the huge jar will serve as a motivator since I'll be mortified after buying it if I don't consume it. Oh, a non minor thing: it was originally $55, then marked down to $45. Then, "Monday Only" it was $35.99 - best price I've ever seen. So I got to indulge my love of bargains.

onebyone - Congrats on getting back down. Kudos for working your plan despite the evil pringles-like chips. Would seem that "in plain view" could be modified to make life a little easier. And Ouch that the ceramics instructor continues to be a thorn.

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats on a "new postpartum low" scale reading. And Kudos galore for your 2 mile run and on plan day. I'm all for the WndrMint Diet - yet another opportunity to get rich. I'm particularly drawn if it allows a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies daily, as well as a pint of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream each evening before bed. Presumably Mint Juleps will be served in place of afternoon tea even if we're not at the Kentucky Derby. (Suspecting that some of us have different trigger foods than others.)

Robin (RobinW) - Thanks for the Nacho soup recipe - sounds super with that much cauliflower in it. Gotta love the precision of the spices, "add lots of" and "a couple shakes of," LOL.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yep, Extra Kudos for passing over all that stuff at the grocery store. The on-slought of Easter candy is a real pain; I used to buy jelly beans bag after bag. Always put them in candy dish first so that I wasn't one of those kind of people who snarfed them straight from the bag, LOL.

Your improvised soup sounds delish; love okra in soup.

ChinaMaine - Ouch that the scale continues to frustrate you. Yep, you need to hear, "The scale is not the only indicator of good health and improvement." And Ouch for the exhausted and DOMS; hope these are just temporary.

Jen (JenMusic) - Congrats on that favorable scale reading; can understand your morning dancing.

Susan (jivingandthriving) - Isn't that feeling of being under control just great!!! Yay that you're specializing in senior fitness; there are a lot of us over forty out there. It must be tough to distinguish when to push a client because their weak muscles need it verses when to back off because their elder joints don't.

Kudos for choosing your current cooking as your food plan. Sounds like a sane way to have a food plan for life. And Kudos for all that exercise - on top of teaching three classes that include weights. You sound like one active lady.

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 experiment 1
Prove to yourself that you confuse hunger with other states.
Once you learn to differentiate between hunger and non-hunger sensations - and what to do when you notice them - you will be better able to stick to your plan. Over time, you may recognize that you tend to desire unplanned food at certain times of the month, at certain times of the day (especially when you are tired, bored, or procrastinating), at certain events, when you're feeling negative emotions, or even when you're happy.
The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pgs 73-74

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-11-2009 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #99  

Well the DS is back at school, leaving me with a cold. You would think by 19 years of age the kid would stop bringing home germs! The good news is I made it through 9 days of temptation with flying colors! CREDIT MOI! I stayed within my calorie limits every day and followed my special plan guide lines with an acceptable amount of flexibility. Now I have a week to get over this cold before my daughter comes home for her spring break and I face a new set of challenges. I'm not feeling real "up" right now but I'm going to blame that on the virus and keep practicing my skills, albeit with less exercise.

KidsLibrarylady, aliveagain50, jivingandthriving!

jenmusic Loved picturing your dance of joy around the bathroom and Tera's chair dance celebration (especially after watching Tera's link to the T-Mobile dance commercial!) Do you have rewards for reaching your mini-goals? You sound plenty motivated without!

ChinaMaine fatigue - do you take a good multivitamin? Apparently it's quite common for women to be iron deficient. I've been seeing a lot about needing extra protein after a workout, specifically that a drink like low fat milk is a good choice. I have found that I have to avoid exercise for at least 3 days to keep my liver function tests from being abnormal from muscle breakdown byproducts, and I'm no marathon runner!

onebyone ceramics instructor complaints, you just can't make some people happy. Your Pringles meltdown reminds me how many tempting foods I have let creep into my line of sight over the past few weeks; I need to do some preemptive stashing.

Anne "Weight loss is just a side effect" : I so needed to hear that! Reinforcing healthy habits and leaving the bad ones behind is not as fun as dancing around the bathroom.

Bill How will you use the whey protein? I'm always looking for ways to incorporate more protein into my diet; the chalky taste can be hard to disguise! I have to confess my purchases are usually based on protein grams per calories, not cost!

to all!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Morning all!

re to question: own the original beck book, but I wasn't ready when I got it...took the latest out of the library and the time was right....

Bill, yes, I used to belong, under the name artmaker, was active in the exercise group. Re exercises I teach now: classes mostly taught to seniors in 70's-90's...even have one gentleman in my class that's 103 and lifting 3 lb weights! I do mainly chair exercises with them, tho' I have some parkinson's clients I work with in the pool. And my private clients are in their 50's, where I do regular weights and cardio.

My sister turned me on to eating seaweed for more iron....anyone know anything about that? Guess I should check on line.

Bill, haven't had mints in years; not a big fan of mint, but somehow I have fond memories of frozen mint girl scout cookies.

Anne, have memories of your posts...and since you have a 3 year old and a 9 month old, it must have been over 3 years ago that I posted, because I remember you being pregnant.

Just finished cooking a fabulous turkey/blackrice/curried meatloaf w/ mango chutney topping....and 320 cals per portion, not bad at all. Can't wait for dinner.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #101  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Monday Report

100% OP (food, supplements, pool, 3FC, careful moving, mail trip, electronics and lights off on time.)

Extra Credit: Took trash with me when I went to get the mail. Continued past the mailbox to the other side of the apartment complex! Worked up a bit of a sweat before getting home.

WI: Down 1 to a NEW LOW!

Something weird happened to my soup. The Soymilk curdled, so now I have little tofu curds all through my soup, instead of the creamy soup base I thought I was getting. It's still edible, even yummy, it's just not quite what I was looking for. Some googling revealed that cool soymilk does that when introduced to a hot liquid. So next soup day, I'll have to try the same recipe, with hot soymilk instead of cold.

Susan: Your meatloaf sounds delish! I also am not using Beck Diet for Life. I got The Beck Diet Solution as soon as I heard about it, and for me, it was the missing piece of my lifestyle change puzzle. Why try to fix what's already working?

It's good that you're making a report to yourself (joining this thread, you've added about 20 diet coaches ) I have to write things down as I go. I just don't trust myself to remember everything at the end of the day.

for double workout (walking and DVD) on top of your active schedule! for on target eating!

for checking in and planning to stick around!

Robin: Nacho soup sounds very yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

ChinaMaine: Sorry to hear about your workout struggles. I know of something that could help. PM me if you want more info.

for the 30 minutes of exercise you did get, rather than using your condition as an excuse to not do any.

for OP eating.

onebyone: I want you to take a close look at

Quote:
I did not persist in victory...I did everything wrong.
I can tell you right now that neither of those statements are true. To begin with, persisting in victory is more than doing things right under difficult circumstances. It also includes not letting set-backs and slip-ups halt all your future progress! Making a bad decision that slows you down temporarily is not the same thing as failing to persist in victory!

Secondly, you did at least one thing right just in that one post... you ate your planned food first. How many more of the evil chips might you have consumed otherwise? When you take into account the fact that you reported all this to your coaches, that makes two things you did right!

Sorry for the but it sounded like you needed it. (And that ceramics instructor can just kiss your... er... maybe not.)

I agree with others that this is a great opportunity to reduce the temptations you face in the home. You might also think about keeping something handy and healthy to eat "on the go" when you just *can't* stop for a real lunch.

Anne: for the run! for OP! for new low!

That is truly a "common sense" approach to your diet! Not very glamorous, I guess, but very sensible! It also sounds like you've dealt with the frustration you were feeling earlier. Is it just one of those things that comes and goes?

Bill: Hooray for discount whey protein! I've been thinking about adding a protein powder to my smoothies, to make complete meals out of them. Hmmm. for a good workout!

Davidette: at germy "kid". Sorry you're feeling icky. at sticking to your strategies and being good to yourself through the cold.

And for those of you who liked the T-Mobile dancers... my sociology professor called it "collective effervescence," when I sent him the link. I like that thought: bubbling together.

You might also enjoy Frozen in Grand Central Station.

Last edited by twilit tera; 03-10-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #102  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Good morning, all.

Tera - Thanks for the chair dance! It's nice to have a place to share our trials and triumphs, isn't it? The soup sounds good, and I'm glad you had a good culinary experiment. I like to cook but I'm the kind of person that likes to use recipes . . . I get too nervous otherwise. I'll branch off from the recipe but need the structure.

Susan - Looks like you're doing well with the Beck methods. I realize you're a trainer, but that's still so much exercise! I need to think of you when I'm too lazy to get off the couch and do my hour aerobic walk.

RobinW - Thanks for sharing the recipe! I would never think of putting all those things together, but it sounds yummy.

ChinaMaine - I'm so sorry for all your fatigue and soreness. I hope your doc has some answers and good news. I, too, am in the for health and stamina - I like being active and being with active people - and I hope that we both reach our goals.

Onebyone - Seems like a generally bad day. Throw it away and start over. We've all been there, so I'm sending you wishes that today is much, much better.

Anne - Once again, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on dieting/weight management/lifestyle. I've heard this all before, but it seems I need to hear it again and again in order to get it to sink in. This is a way of life for me now. Thanks for such a great example!

Bill - CREDIT for working out, and getting some motivating protein powder! (I don't think that would be much of a motivator for me, but whatever works for you! )

davidette - MAJOR CREDIT for 9 days of OP with temptation all around! Wow.
I don't have a formal rewards system, really. I'm currently only working part-time, while looking for full-time work, so money's kind of tight and I can't justify spending cash on "smaller" goals. All of my rewards are part of my goals - what I'm going to be able to do, clothes I'm going to fit into, and complimentary things people are going to say!

Today is planned, and I'm heading out for a walk now. Hope you all have a good day!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #103  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Hey all....nothing new to report here. Have been eating pretty good and thinking about the cadillac pics. Still nothing on dh so the saga continues....will let you know what happens. This is quick as I have got some things to do.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Tuesday

Beck – WI-down 1 lb. Read cards, made plan for day
Food – op, exercise – op. I’m feeling less tired today and while I didn’t set any records on my walk this AM, I did a perfectly respectable 17 minute mile. I did the killer (for me) Upper Body Workout on MFC. It was fun and felt great while I was doing it. My arms are sore now – hopefully that means they won’t be tomorrow. Is that how it works?
I just want to give some context on my experience with fatigue. I’ve deliberately been making small changes at a time in my level of exercise. When I’m healthy I don’t have this level of fatigue to these kinds of changes. Fatigue is a symptom I’ve gotten over the years that has led to being diagnosed with a number of diseases/disorders (celiac disease, pernicious anemia and hypothyroidism). I’m in treatment for celiac (gluten-free diet) and hypothyroidism. I don’t have iron deficiency (per blood test less than a month ago). I will have my blood drawn for the TSH levels on Thursday. If it’s not one of those three things, then I think I need to find out if I have yet another disease, or if this is the new ‘normal’ for me.
one by one I hope things improve re: the issue with the ceramics teacher. You definitely didn’t do everything wrong. Beware of all-or-none thinking; those are thoughts that will sabotage your motivation. It actually sounds like you did three things wrong. (1) You didn’t eat all day. (2) You did leave the Pringles out where they could taunt you in a moment of weakness. (3) And you did eat them when they were off-plan. You might try making cheat sheets (or in my world mistake analyses) for each of those three things, so you can plan for ways to avoid those three in the future. Hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Anne For making your 2 mile run! And for the postpartum low – Thanks for the hints on the DOMs.

Bill Credit for core workout! Bravo for working on your elbow too!

davidette CREDIT for making it through a 9-day long visit from DS successfully! Persist in victory!! I do take a whole slew of vitamins – a multi, iron 2x a day, B-12, vitamin D, plus some other OTC supplements that are purported to aid thyroid function. It’s something I do while I’m reading my RC in the AM (multi-tasking!). I’ll look around on the net about getting protein after a workout. I don’t normally adjust my eating based on exercise, but it’s a thought…

Tera Credit for 100% op, the long walk to take the garbage out and a NEW LOW!!

JenMusic Credit for the plan and for the walk! Yep to me being active makes life fun. When I’m not, I’m a lump in more ways than one.

Susan, angelmomma
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #105  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

its an odd mix isnt it Jen, but its seriously tastey, and extremely filling. Surprisingly so.

Its been a crazy busy day. Im relaxing with a glass of wine

Closed Thread