Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #151  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Saturday Report

75% On Plan (Food, Supplements, Careful movement, Pool, AI @ dinner, 3FC)
Oh, well. Late turning off games and going to bed.

Extra Credit: persistently aiming for healthy restaurant options, finally choosing something tasty from the Quiznos low-cal menu on whole wheat with a side of chili and eating the chili first so I was only interested in 1/2 a small sandwich. (And discovering http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/ in the process!) Listing on my blog 5 things I can do besides eat junk to relieve stress. Letting go of the final product of the group project, accepting what the editor did to my beautifully drawn panels (stretching them in odd ways to fill the power point page).

NSV: Mom noticed my hair getting fuller. I had started noticing a few weeks back. I think my thin hair must have been the result of nutrition deficiency. I also showed off to her the room in my once really tight pants (different tight pants than the ones I mentioned last time).

I plan, when I'm caught up again, to publish on the net somewhere, the group project as I would have pieced it together. I can hopefully show it off by the end of the week.

Okay, enough about me. On to personals!

onebyone for the loss during an inactive period! even more for getting more activity again, exceeding planned exercise!!! (And in case I forgot to mention it last post, I commend you on going to cash.)

for finding some nice clothes. Ouch that it's so hard to do. You're not alone. With me, it's my shoulders. I have a large chest, with very narrow shoulders. It's hard to find anything that'll fit around the middle that doesn't fall off my shoulders.

That's the trouble with standard sizes - people are not cut from a cookie cutter! for accepting your body. Now for accepting you can change it.

Hooray to warmer weather! Reading your latest post makes me want to

Anne: Ugh! Migraines are terrible. I'm glad it's subsided and I hope your head is all better. Yikes about potential chicken pox. Hoping for the best there too.

Outside in your neighborhood does sound scary. And I thought fireants were bad! I had to share the discription of your seasons with my sweet hubby, who got a good laugh. In my region of Texas we have five seasons: Cool, Wet, Hot, Still Hot, and Even Wetter.

I'm with you on "no taboo foods". I don't have any hard rules about what I can and cannot eat, only that a strong majority of my meals must be light and nutritious, and I must consider whatever I can to mitigate the damage of my poorer choices.

Maryblu: I hear you on that terrible mandate from that coach. We shouldn't ignore our bodies' signals! They are there for a reason!! Argh! People who have authority over little kids really need to be well educated in what's healthy, body and mind. Kids take authority so seriously! (What choice do they have?)

Okay, calming down now. (I'm not even a mom!)

Chris: that the new meds do all the doctor says they will. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you get closer to the procedure.

Jen: for "rousing success" at the Mexican place!! Mexican can be really difficult to adjust to a good plan! I think your fajitas were a good idea - pity they used so much oil. Maybe next time you can special order them? I love fajita stuff, but I see no reason it should be greasy.

About meeting your friend - good call on not letting your new lifestyle get in the way of social connections. Perhaps you can occasionally steer outings away from restaurants. Go out instead to a coffee/tea place, bowling, billiards or a show? (Naturally, a show is less social, but ) There's nothing wrong with the occasional restaurant, especially with the care that you use when you make your selections, but the point is the visit - not the food, right?

I would love to do more traveling abroad! If my budget ever allows it, I hope to start in England, Scotland, and Ireland (to explore my roots), then Japan, China, Australia, and Greece. Until I can afford those trips, and once my hip can endure long car rides again, I plan to see more of the States. I want to show B where I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, which I think is the most beautiful region on the continent.

Davidette: re: leaf-blowers and loud music... there must be some wormhole connecting our neighborhoods! It sounds like I could find your place on the next block over.

So sorry to hear about your mom's state. The silver lining is that it helps you appreciate things we all usually take for granted.

Regarding estimating restaurant nutrition info. I'm hoping the government finally passes regulations requiring restaurants to disclose that information the way retail food producers do. Some restaurants actually do have excellent info on their websites, but I stopped going to the Olive Garden a few years back when I tried to choose a healthy menu option from their website before a work luncheon and couldn't find a single detail that would help! (I emailed them to let them know about it too.)

This time I'm not calorie counting. I don't think I can do that kind of tracking long-term and keep my sanity. I eyeball my portion control using my hand as a measuring tool, stick to whole grains, vegetables, and lean protein as much as possible, and write down the general contents of my plate without worrying about precise measurements. That seems to be much mores sustainable for me.

for the newly fitting jeans! for doing the prep work for your daughter's visit! I'd love a mother-daughter Zumba class trip!! (If only either my mother or I were up to it.)

Bill: Yikes for all the "free" food! That really is your Kryptonite, isn't it?

for not getting a bunch of strawberries you couldn't eat. for controlling your portions at the restaurants.

Thank you for the kudos, and I'm tickled that you got a laugh from my last post, as I get many from yours each day.

ChinaMaine: So glad to hear about your mood improving! for being OP for food and exercise, and for holding the line scale-wise.

Lily: for the stressors. If you can't count calores, don't count calories. Do track somehow - but making it manageable for you is what matters - it's all about sustainability.

for debt elimination - you've accomplished something I doubt the federal government ever will.

Okay, time to play catch up in biology and computers!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #152  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default got the ball... boy it's big.

Hi coaches

My outfit for the governor general's vernissage is now complete! I found a fabulous slinky shirt to go beneath the conservative blazer and over the conservative skirt. It's wild with a fabulous graffiti pattern on it. I'd NEVER wear it without a blazer (my arms look pretty bad-so it better not be boiling hot that day!) <-- that's me at the vernissage even though it's at 10:30am! I am sure there will be Fine Beverages of some sort being served! I did hear the Governor General serves food from every region of Canada. They are the Queen's representative after all, representing the whole of the country so I look forward to this and all the artwork, again from across the country. So exciting.

So all that's left is the haircut, oh and new $29 glasses at the deep discount glasses place, (must get there tomorrow) and I have to dig out my dress shoes see if they'll work and find some jewelry to wear. It's all the fun stuff now.

And I bought the exercise ball I saw last night. It comes complete with a most excellent workout book! Wow. It's really thorough! 90 exercises to do on the ball plus 8 workout routines with and without weights. I got it at Winners where they get stuff from all over and this set seems to be from Australia. On the back of the book they call the exercise ball a "wobbly". That's so adorable! and SO EXCITING! I loved the ball at the gym. My trainer had me doing over half of my exercises on the ball and now I have my own. But boy, is it big. Talk about having an elephant in the room. If I don't use it I'll be reminded of that everyday. What I really wanted it for was to re-start a weight routine and to get back to doing ab crunches. Nothing holding me back now.

Okay that's it. Thanks for reading. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-15-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Sunday

Spring fever, redux
Beck – WI-up 1 lb. Read my cards, made plan for the day. I had a craving for blueberry pancakes for breakfast, which is about 150 calories more than my usual oatmeal. Hence making a daily plan was a bit more of a juggle than usual. Credit for taking the time to juggle my plan so it meets my calorie and saturated fat goals. But the pancakes were well worth it!
Food – op –Exercise – op. Took another walk around the lake today – did my entire 45 mins this way today. Credit moi! It was so warm I didn’t need a coat, and the top inch of ice had turned to slush. I had to keep reminding myself that the ice is 20 inches thick so a little bit of slush on top is completely safe. Surprisingly there weren’t many folks out enjoying the spring sun today. Saw a few ice fisherman and 2 ATVs. Otherwise, it was just me walking around. My legs are quite sore though, but feel fine so far. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow with no fatigue. Tomorrow I’ll have a 30 minute exercise day, and if I feel well Tuesday AM, I face down the Upper Body Workout again (my nemesis!)
davidette for wearing the previously too tight jeans! It sounds like you and DD will have fun! Credit for coming up with a flexible, fun, and reasonable plan for her visit.

Bill Oh man – you had a challenging Saturday! It sounds to me like you made reasonable choices throughout. So perhaps you are being too hard on yourself?

one by one Credit for 32 mins of wii fit time! Wait until you get 10 hours total on the piggy-bank-minute-counter—it’s really cute what happens with the piggy bank. The wii fit really helped me get into the daily habit of exercise. I use it for weigh-ins every AM and I told myself I might as well do 10-15 mins of exercise since it was already on. Do you use wii for weigh-ins? It’s adorable how your mii keeps checking out her butt, isn’t it? And you’ve got a medicine ball too – please tell how easy/good it is to exercise with it. I’ve never used one and it looks unwieldy… And for getting a slinky little top! You sound so excited about the party.

lilyyoung Sorry your boyfriend was back in the hospital – I’m glad to hear he is on the mend. Credit for doing exercises at home. And credit for logging your food and avoiding an adolescent rebellion. Kudos for paying off that credit card!

angelmomma I’m sorry that you are feeling so tired and about the continued a-fib. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Tera Credit for 75% op. I love your extra credit section – I think I may copy it… and congrats for finding healthy eating out options – it’s difficult, to be sure. Thank also for the link http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/ -- They actually say they will have gluten information soon! On the hair getting fuller, do you take vitamins? If you have insurance, I’d suggest asking your primary for a screen for nutrient deficiency. If you don’t have insurance, then a good multi vitamin might be a good idea… A nutrient deficiency could be related to your hip issues, possibly? Re school project - It is hard to let go of something you’ve created, especially to someone who doesn’t appreciate it. It’s always frustrating, but you are wise to let it go and put it in the oh well column…
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #154  
stand-up philosopher

Default *how* much exercise?

Okay, it's been a couple of times now... I've read that it's going to take 60-90 minutes of exercise per DAY for me to maintain an ideal weight. Let's forget for just a moment that I'm at least 6 months from maintenance and probably more. I want a plan in place by the time I get there.

So. 60 to 90 minutes. 1.5 hours. per day. Seriously????? I find the information very discouraging.

I mean, right now, I'm on a very flexible schedule. I'm able to do 30 minutes, 5 days/week, and could conceivably do more, if my body cooperates. But even on this dream schedule of mine, the concept of 1.5 hours daily with no exceptions sounds impossible!

Now, that's supposed to be a moderate work out. Can I get away with less time if I make the workout more intense? If so, what's the best way to build up intensity to where I can get away with 30 minutes a day?

I've got a lot of thinkin' to do.

onebyone: Hooray for the new clothes, glasses, haircut, and workout!

I just showed "Dramatic Prairie Dog" to B, with the introduction, "This wasn't very funny the first time I watched it, but every single time I watched it, it got funnier and funnier."

So then I launch the video and the first time he just smirks at it. The second time he giggles, the third time he giggles more and the fourth time he's laughing! He concurs - it really does get funnier every time we see it, and neither of us can figure out why.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Tera -- Just a quickie tonight. If I have time, I'll do more research tomorrow. I've seen those same figures and my gut reaction is that these recommendations are probably inaccurate or over-stated.

There's a lot of research done. A significant proportion of it is poorly designed and so yields miselading results. The media doesn't do a good job of differentiating between the well-designed and poorly designed research.

I found this link that matches my 'gut' test. This is about how much exercise that makes sense for a healthy adult. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=98150

Basically they recommend 250 minutes per week, or somewhere between 30-60 minutes a day depending... It probably is more accurate to think in terms of calories burned per week, because, as you point out all exercise isn't equal.

I used to find it hard to do more than 30 minutes a day. But by breaking it up into 15 minute increments, I find I can easily do 45 minutes 4 times a week. I try to do 30 minutes every day before work, and another 15 minutes during a break or after work. I'm hoping to add 15 minutes more of cardio for 4 days a week. But I know that may break the camels back. I'm willing to give it a go, if my body will give me the strength to try...

My 2 cents!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #156  

Tera, the average National Weight Control Registry participant, i.e. successful maintainer, burns 400 calories through exercise a day. And that takes as long as it takes--I can bang that out in a half hour running, walking takes longer. Since that figure is a mean, and not a median, I can't say that half do less, but (crossing fingers) about half do less.

Only you can figure out what is right for you. I do know that there is no magic dividing line between weight loss and weight maintenance and you'll figure it out along the way. Just keep doing whatever you've been doing when you get to your goal weight, and it'll be fine.

Back in about an hour for my daily post.

Anne
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #157  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default still breathing (barely)

waving - it's 9:45 and i just finished dinner - had promised myself that i'd be IN BED by 9:30 and lo, didn't happen. oh well. so yeah, things have been really rough. still have this awful sinus infection, still not sleeping well, work has been even more demanding - was asked (told) by our VP that he wanted to see my progress on this proposal each night. it was okay if it was late in the evening, he was checking his email. nice - but even better was being told that he wanted to see my progress as i worked through the weekend. DH has finals next week and is drowning at work. el nino is also sick, but not so sick that he doesn't want to run around all the time. it's an awful feeling - sort trapped and exhausted at the same time. tonight is the first time in almost 6 days i've had 10 minutes to catch up on this thread. and i really can't stick around - have a seriously early meeting (sorry el nino - won't be able to take you to daycare tomorrow) to review the proposal so i can start on the NEXT life-or-death proposal (this is #3. at least it's not a government RFQ. thought i was going to blow my brains out.)

weight is up a tiny bit. not surprised, not all that worked up about it. things have to get better at some point, right?

not sure if i'll be able to do the 1/2 marathon in may. i'm about a month behind my training schedule with getting sick, working on the weekends, and trying to spend time with my son. barely remember what DH looks like. he's having panic attacks again. can't help him - can hardly help myself. at this point, i'll be happy if i'm not coughing by may.

waaaaah.

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 03-15-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #158  

Coaches/Buddies Hmm. Well today just blew. Come to think of it, yesterday afternoon after I posted wasn't so hot either. I just could not bring myself to care. I'm at a loss to explain it more than that. Theorizing, I'm just saturated after the kid's illnesses, time dealing with that, career stress, and running around like a crazy person.

I do have some positive things to report on the intermediate term planning. It seems I'm racing again. I signed up for sprint+ distance triathlon on my 40th birthday, which will be Memorial Day. I decided on a reward for completing the C25K program, a Polar RS800CX-multi HR monitor/GPS system. I got my next 5 lb reward ready, a beautiful short sleeve running shirt. I signed up for the 5K that is run the day before the Boston Marathon--my C25K graduation exercise, perhaps. And I'm committed, but not yet signed up, to a 27 mile bike race on April 26. And I've reconnected with my triathlon coach to start looking for and planning for a big fall Olympic distance race (perhaps at the Las Vegas Pumpkinman Tri festival) and a half marathon (three decent AZ options available Nov-early Jan).

Short term planning is done too. I have my exercise plan laid out for the week, since with tri training starting again, I have to be more organized to balance three sport training. Meals are planned for tomorrow and I'll be packing my lunch and laying out my running stuff right after checking in here. I do care, of course, I just wasn't up to executing any plans today for whatever reason. I'll be back on track tomorrow. I suppose I'm back on track now.

JenMusic Sounds like you did just fine at the Mexican restaurant.

onebyone I think accepting yourself as you are is a huge thing. It shows that you have achieved a good sense of self-esteem and that bodes well for doing good things for yourself in the long term.

Happy shoe shopping! Your wobbly sounds fun! Good work on the WiiFit. Mine is still lonely, but scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Yes, we do have poisonous snakes here too, but the dog seems to keep them out of the yard somehow. I have seen flat ones out by the mailbox. I got a headlamp my first year of running when I discovered they come out onto the roads on early fall mornings to keep warm and I didn't want to step on one. Now, ask me about scorpions...

davidette Nice work with the small jeans, and with planning for DD's visit!

Bill Muddy food choices. Much more erudite than "just blew." If nothing else you get credit for posting, and for thinking about the issues and learning from it. I'm not sure I even achieved that today.

ChinaMaine Nice job on your walk with ice thingies.

Lily Sometimes weight loss just isn't the most important thing in our lives. Do your best, and respect that sometimes first things should be first, and the rest will have to wait.

Nice job on getting that credit card paid off!

Chris A-fib sounds so scary. I hope the new meds work out like they are supposed to.

Tera Thanks for the link! That was pretty cool! Enjoy your fuller luxurious hair!

Jean Glad you swung by and glad you only stayed long enough to pop in and then get some sleep. You have your hands sooo full. Can you pick a different half mary to train for? Give yourself a bit of a break. All this stress will keep you sick.

See you all tomorrow.

Anne
Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Hang in there, Beckies

Wow. Such challenges, dear Beckies.

Kulhjeanie, I am sure glad you checked in..it really is an amazing confluence of events. Ouch, don't even know what to say other than we are all pulling for you. This is too much overload for even the best project manager.

Angelmomma, I admire how calm you stay with the A-fib. I can't imagine what it is like, but I don't think I would stay as calm.

Lilyyoung, glad you checked in..hope you feel our support and concern for you and DBF.

Onebyone, glad you found "the look".

Thanks, onebyone, and BillBE, for your staying informed on our senate race debacle. Onebyone, I don't feel at all confident saying who has been voted in and who has not. I would not bet a nickel either way. Seriously. Until one of them is seated, I am not going to believe it.

BillBE, thanks for keeping the focus on the hunger experiment. I am still on this exploration. I think for me rather than getting comfortable with a bit of hunger, it is trying to get back to that sweet spot I had during the original weight loss. I was more comfortable feeling not quite full; I felt light, energetic, and so alert. Sure had that goin' on today.

Went to sleep last night a little hungry, at least hungry enough to be seriously looking forward to the avocado, cream cheese and bacon omlette I planned to make for breakfast, even knowing there was a chance my lite cream cheese would be too tired to make the dish.

Well, sure enough, even after scraping the green stuff off, it was still bad. Lite cream cheese just doesn't last. So.....I had a tbsp. of Hormel Bacon Bits..50 % less fat.....in two egg whites and one whole egg, the perfectly ripened avocado, and instead of lite cream cheese, I blended some Greek yogurt, some Trader Joe's goat cheese, and about a tbsp. of lite sour cream. Wow! I will never buy lite cream cheese again. The flavor was tdf.

I am glad to have shared the Bald Eagle story; they are so cool. It got me thinking...there are always stories told of eagles carrying off cats and small dogs. I have always thought it was a Rural Legend, but after that spectacle that I witnessed, I am thinking again.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #160  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Started out for a walk but quickly stopped to remove one layer of jacket and ditch the warm gloves; it was more sunny and warm and sheer delightful weather than I had imagined. Just loved walking and seeing people out in flip flops and T-shirts. CREDIT moi. Rewarded myself by buying strawberries at the supermarket (in lieu of buying four pounds from Costco). They are for my breakfast, which is next on my agenda.

maryblu - Yep, I'm also enjoying getting refreshed on Beck's notions about hunger. Don't remember her first book being as clear as the statement, "Eat when it's time to eat." It's just good to be reminded that a little hunger is OK, perhaps normal. So, Kudos for going to bed a little hungry last night. Your avocado-Greek-yogurt omelet sounds so good.

onebyone - Yep, Kudos for using "my competitive nature and my addictive nature too" toward exercising. Yeah for completing your outfit for the Governor General's governor vernissage. LOL at the image of that huge exercise ball reminding you to get moving.

Eastern Massachusetts sneaks into Gardening Zone 6. (Thank you Gulf Stream.) We were out a tad early trying on Saturday to force the growing season to produce to match our summer plans to be away for a spell. Felt pretty foolish sticking a trowel into frozen ground like we hadn't noticed that the snow had just thawed.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Ouch for the work fueled overload and Double Ouch for a PITA VP demanding weekend reports on the proposal. Yay for having a proposal to write that plausibly means more work. Sending calming and supportive thoughts that, even if you can't fix the overload, you can push back on the "trapped" feeling. Kudos for checking in. Yep, things will get better.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for being so "saturated" that you "could not bring myself to care." Kudos for caring enough to be working your plans for your triathlon and C25K program. That HR/GPS system is one neat reward. And thanks for the translation that "muddy food choices" means "just blew it." It's useful to confront reality sometimes.

Chris (angelmomma210) - Yay for new meds doing their thing.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay for hair getting fuller. Gotta love the way the body sends the message that's it's happy, LOL. Kudos for continuing to work the restaurant choices to get what you want, and for eating mindfully to leave half a sandwich. And Yep, FREE food is my "Kryptonite," no doubt about it.

ChinaMaine - Just love the thought of hiking your favorite kayak trail. Kudos for a 90 minute walk on the ice. Ouch for sunburn through the sunscreen - you can feel like an early Arctic explorer. LOL at the thought of your DH playing out the dueling trail mix food pushers as a sub-plot in The Office. And Yay for blueberry pancakes. You remind me how much I love the "low bush" blueberries from Maine. The frozen ones down here sell for a premium as "wild blueberries."

Lily (lilyyoung) - Yep, Kudos for back exercises and Kudos for "not eating everything in sight" when that's what the emotions call for. Sending warm supportive thoughts for you and BF dealing with his health issues. Congrats for beating down the credit card tab - that's a big deal, IMHO.

davidette - Waving after cross posting with you yesterday and then editing my post to add you there (rather than the obvious of adding a new post that you might actually see, LOL.)

Readers -
Quote:
Success Skill 6 experiment 2
Prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.
Most diet programs encourage you to avoid hunger. Some tell you to eat when you feel hungry and to stop eating when you feel full. The problem with that is you are likely to confuse hunger and non-hunger at least sometimes. Also, since it can take up to 20 minutes for a sense of fullness to kick in, you are likely to overeat at meals because your stomach hasn't had a chance to catch up.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 76
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #161  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking Good morning

Hello Coaches

So officially I am 257 today. Yay! Credit moi.

Well I got up and said NO CHOICE to exercise and aimed to do 15 min on my wii fit. So I weighed in on the wii and did 13 min of yoga, ending my session with a 3 min jog. I love ending the wii encounter with a jog. Makes me feel positively athletic Credit moi.

The one thing that's different in my body are the muscles around my hips and across my pelvis. They are tight. I think that having a tummy that hangs down and over is stressing those muscles and causing them to pull in an abnormal way/direction plus it's always pulling. That's my theory. All that weight is affecting them. So I am focusing on stretching them out gently. I expect my body to respond incredibly! (Credit moi for the positive outlook. I have to work at it!) Of course the best medicine is to reduce the tummy hence the thrill at doing ab crunches on the wobbly. don't know why I felt I had to have a ball to do this, except that ever since I first tried them on a ball nothing has felt so effective... now I can have this at home everyday.

And during Desperate Housewives last night I sat on the wobbly and did some weights and some ab crunches. I worked out for 30 min. at a time of day when I usually veg so this is a good omen. I the wobbly. Credit moi.

I gotta run. Much to do this morning. I'll check in later. Cheers!

Last edited by onebyone; 03-16-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #162  
stand-up philosopher

Sunday Report
100% OP! (Food, Supplements, Stretching, 3FC, Careful moving, Mail Trip, electronics off, lights out)

WI: down 2

Yippee! The temporary gain is behind me!

I've also regained a bit of sanity since yesterday. Why focus on the discouraging? I should just keep my eye on what I'm doing, what I need to do, to get a little bit more fit. Once that's natural, I'll take the next step. So on, and so on.

If and when I get close to my ultimate goal (a fat% goal, not a weight goal), if I need to adjust my exercise schedule, I will. Whatever it takes.

Today I added 10 minutes to my workout in the pool. So that's 30 minutes moderate aerobics and however much stretching I can do without bringing on a bursitis flare up. 4-5 times a week depending on our schedules.

Oh, semi-related, since it's a clothing issue. I just got the bra I ordered from JMS. This is the first bra actually fitted to my awkward size that I've had since I gained all this weight back in the 90's. I figure I'm just going to shrink out of it, so I didn't get a bunch of them, but this is something I really needed. me for finally getting it.

Thanks, everybody, for the great responses to my exercise panic.

ChinaMaine: Good article. One of the things I was pondering on last night is that if I adopt a more active lifestyle - go out and do things that get me moving each weekend, that can make up the gap for what I'm doing weekdays.

Anne: I know you're right about there being no real difference between losing and maintaining. The same things I do to take off the excess are the same things that'll keep it off. There's no finish line.

One of the things that frustrated me last time (and triggered a complete reversal of my habits) was that when I reached about 180 or so, I got stuck. I have suspected for some time that there has been a connection between that "stuck point" and the exercise schedule that I was able to sustain.

By the way, I don't know if I've mentioned it, but your running schedule amazes me. Just the fact that you run so much, and seem to get so much satisfaction from it, blows me away!

Jean: O. M. G. I think I would have snapped under the strain long before now, were I in your shoes.

Maryblu: at your omelet.

No legend, that about pets being taken by birds of prey. I lost a cat to one, I'm sure of it. Mom believes she did too. We stopped letting them out.

Bill: for walk and strawberry breakfast!

onebyone: for Wii fit time. for turning TV time into another workout session! And HOORAY for being solidly in the 250-zone.

Time for breakfast!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #163  

onebyone Wii workout! Isn't it great to have our addictive nature work for us? I'm the same way but with the balance section; I hate it my DD is so much better than me!

Moving into fun phase of your upcoming event! Those Australians picked a good name for the exercise ball - but they really do work your core muscles and help protect your back. Very versatile, except when it comes to storage!

lilyyoung Kudos for making time for diet assessment and commitment with all the stress of illness. CREDIT being out of debt and getting taxes done, and especially for giving yourself credit! Hope to hear more from you as your life stabilizes.

tera Thanks for the healthy dining finder; expect it to be useful this week. Even when the menus claim an item is a healthy choice, my research on Max and Ermas revealed it was very high calorie, so I'm skeptical without data. CREDIT accepting group project results; would love to see your version. hair getting fuller and "once tight" pants - it helps to have visible results!

Re: 60 to 90 minutes per day; I found all the minutes and calorie requirements discouraging too. I'm just going to do as much as I can as often as I can, with two caveats: Listen to my body and allow recovery time, and do what I enjoy, at least on some level! The stress hormones of keeping up with 1.5 hours a day of workout time might be unhealthier than not doing it!

kuhljeanie Wincing at your overloaded life - but nothing lasts forever, it will get better. If you can find time occasionally to focus on taking deep breaths, the increased oxygen will definitely turn down the panic hormones.

Anne Impressive commitments with your racing schedule you sound ready to go Recently got my own Polar HR and love it, the GPS model should be fantastic for you!

maryblu Keep us informed on your hunger experiment. I remember that "light, energetic and so alert" feeling from when I first started dieting, I think in contrast to how sluggish and bloated eating poorly had made me. I was afraid it was a one-time reaction to the adjustment.

An eagle got very close to carrying off my friend's yorkie (4 pounds); she heard the wings flap, turned around and scared it off just in time. I'm being very cautious with my little dog even though she's 7 pounds. Even if the eagle dropped her, the damage would be done with those claws!

chinaMaine Kudos for taking the time to make pancakes a guilt free indulgence! exercise without fatigue!

Bill You northerners are much hardier than us southerners, we won't find our flip flops for weeks yet. Reminds me when I was in St. Thomas, the natives wear sweaters "any month with an "R" in it"; they think it's cold!

The acceptance issue is relevant for me too right now; my weight is bouncing around the same area without a noticeable downward trend. I may have to accept losing weight even slower than the current 1/2 pound a week, or drop my calorie intake, which I don't think would bode well for long term success. I'm just going to focus on developing healthy habits with weight loss as a minor side effect, and not vice versa!

DD was amazed at finding chocolate and cookies in the house. I got a high 5 for my ability to eat in moderation! I may even make a memory card for it, she doesn't give out accolades easily. Her big grin was a big reward Unfortunately graduate school has been such torture, she claims to only want to lay in bed for a week without worrying about anything. I'm still keeping up my gym schedule though; maybe by the end of the week she'll be more energetic.

Moral authority alert: I AM going to yoga tonight. I skipped last week and can't even remember why. When I see all the effort you guys put forth, I'm determined!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #164  

X-posts (I did stop to make a memory card):

onebyone Wii jog and "wobbly" work! I take an abs class at the gym 2 x week and every instructor uses the ball for part of the class. BIG CREDIT using during TV time! 257!

tera 100% and down 2 (sounds like a sports score; then being a medical transcriptionist, it reminded of labor and delivery progress reported as % and +/- # birthing a new you )

Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #165  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Sorry I can't do personals rght now. This whole week is going to be slammed (we have a family reunion this weekend in FL) and I'm trying to get ahead - ar at least not as far behind - on lesson planning and various other things before I head out of town.

Just saying hi! My weekly weigh-in was today and I'm down .2 pounds. Of course, part of me wanted another dramatic loss, but I'm NOT going to complain about it, after last week's big number. I'm going to focus on doing what I can do: eating right, exercising, and taking care of myself.

Speaking of . . . exercise is calling. Woo hoo - I need the endorphins on this rainy Monday morning.

Later!
Closed Thread