Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 AM   #121  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches - Found four peaches at my favorite small store - no other stores have any left. CREDIT moi for being on the lookout. Looking forward to having them for breakfast. Looks like a subconscious thing that a variant of the same word shows up in subsequent sentences, LOL.

Robin (RobinW) - Love it, "...the coffee is hot, the sun is shining, and its a beautiful crisp day." You remind me of Robert Browning, "God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world." DW made your lemon bean soup for dinner - yummy! She declared it very easy. We'll do it again, possibly increase the garlic and decrease the lemon. Maybe try different kinds of white beans.

onebyone - Yay for the double $ job offer. Don't worry about kids - if you treat them like people they'll respond like you wouldn't believe. Thanks for the name, "Ah The Procrastinator Engine" - yup, that's what it is. Think I'll ponder on the thought that I overestimate its power, just like Beck comments that we overestimate the power of hunger and craving.

shrinkin - Ouch for the pool closing sooner than you expected; Double Kudos for working "double hard" in the time you had. I now have the image of you packing your cape for your stealth entry into the meeting where you aren't expected, LOL. Have a safe trip - good luck with your arm and the luggage.

angelmomma210 - Ouch for another week of waiting. Kudos for keeping your perspective. Continuing to send best supportive thoughts to you and your DH.

tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for signing up with a fitness center, and BIG Kudos for "Stop before Stuffed!"

happy1025 - Neat that you spotted Beck in a magazine article and saw that it was what you needed. Yep, I recognize that surprise at how much I ate standing up. The biggest surprise for me was how often I ate a bite or so while carrying my plate to the table. And then an even bigger surprise when other people on this thread said that they did the same.

Nancy (Tigerseye) - Kudos for getting the workbook and diving right in.

Readers -
"the solution at a glance

The way you think - seeing hunger as an emergency, overestimating the discomfort and duration of cravings, underestimating how thin people restrict their eating - makes it more difficult for you to stick with a diet." Beck, pg 43.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #122  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Sunday fly by

Coaches,

Draggin' a bit this am. Will need coffee infusion to make body get in gear.

Reporting my weigh in one day early as I will not have a scale tomorrow.
For this week: down 2 pounds, but only puts me back to where I was about 2.5 weeks ago before 10 day detour from plan. Four week avg loss: 0.75 pounds.

Forgot to report yesterday that rewarded self with maincure and bought a new sweater set for DS rehearsal dinner which is now 3 weeks away. WooHoo for easier time finding clothes after 20 pound loss! You'd think that would be motivating, but so much more to go.

Managed to get Beck book packed in rolling carry on. So, will be perusing it on the plane today. Sure do hate airport food; hard to eat healthy and costs an arm and a leg.

Have a great day all!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #123  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy Sunday home but with tons of work to do.

Good Morning Becksters.

Woke up to a sun-shiny day but cold.
Brrr.
Brought in a plant last night I don't want to see die. I am glad I did, even though my backyard has not had a killing frost yet. Some neighbours have already had one. On the bus yesterday morning there was a white blanket of frost over some of the grassy areas around here. I always think this is Nature's way of getting us all used to what this place will look like all covered with snow. Nature just eases us into it....

And yesterday I had a great time in the animation part of the 2 day animation workshop. We created a set for our puppets to be in and then each of us were responsible to move our own puppets in a slow sequence. My muscle man did sit-ups, oblivious to the mayhem going on around him. I loved that he just does sit up after sit up after sit up when you make the animation into a infinite loop. So funny and they all turned out so well! I am totally inspired. I asked Graeme (the artist/instructor) if I could send him an animated Christmas card and he said his email address was on his website, so I think my friend Sharon, who was in the workshop with me and equally inspired, will do that. Fun. But boy was I exhausted once it was over. Man I was just like a zombie. Now, because of that diversion, I am SO far behind and on top of that I am very tired so I will just take it slow but I will get into my homework, starting with what is due tomorrow. It's all too much.

Foodwise I did lousy yesterday. Way too little food. Did not follow my meal patterns in spite of having food at hand. Had breakfast, missed snack 1, had mini lunch with little protein, missed snack 2, stayed out extra late and had dinner at 8pm-all protein and lots of it until I was stuffed. Oh and had a packet of 2 very calorie dense cookies from the vending machine in the student lounge at about 3pm when I was thinking I would blackout. Felt VERY woozy in the middle of the animating part of the workshop. I thought "get sugar" ... I just totally ignored the needs of my body. Very un-Beck. Very un-my foodplan. I am stalling myself weight-wise and scale-wise with this behaviour this week. I have had such a tough time getting back into it. Every day I try and then I just fall short. I seem to be forgetting why I am doing this and this seems to be re-inforced everytime I step on the dumb scale and see it above 250. I know I know it is WRONG for me to do this given everything I just wrote about being not on my plan and I intellectually know that. Emotionally I am tired, and mentally and physically and I want to just stop.
But I won't.
Because things don't just stop, they keep going and if I am not losing or maintaining in some sort of WOE, I am gaining. I cannot gain weight.

So coaches, today I will reinforce that I want to be a healthy individual and do a WATP DVD and will report back today when I do that. Throwing some over me and running through it right now to stay OP in everyway today.

angelmomma210 Another week of waiting for you and DH. Ugh. You are smart to realize you could do a lot of damage with emotional eating in this stressful situation so KUDOS for re-committing to your program at this time and for coming here to post. It will not make you feel any better to eat over this...

RobinW Thank you for the offer of help for me re: dealing with kids. It does sound very similar. I will definitely keep this in mind as the time gets closer to deal with this, if I do, indeed, do this. I hope you got your work done and you saw the sun yesterday...and hope you have some time off today.

Tigerseye Congrats for picking up the book and welcome to the whole thing! Just take it a day at a time, do what she suggests to the best of your ability and see what happens. Post here when you need to. Yay!

twilit tera I'd love to hear more about your labyrinth workshop. Are you building one? Or talking about it metaphorically? I followed my first labyrinth last month. It was in the yard of a stop on an art tour an it was made of lavender, with willow walls. When you followed the path it smelled like lavender and chamomile. Kudos for stopping before stuffed.

shrinkin I hope your trip goes better than you expect in all ways, especially physically with that elbow and shoulder. I wish for you a fantastic new hotel pool with optimum hours of use... and days away of being effortlessly OP... you known what awaits your return if you're not... LOL... All the best to you!

happy1025 I was totally shocked at how often I would eat standing up and eat on the way to sitting down. That was the worst especially when I decided not to eat standing up. Really mindless eating. I still catch myself doing that sometimes but not like before. This is really the magic of the Beck book. We actually discover all these things we have been doing that keep us in the same place and not moving forward in our quest for weightloss. Self-sabotaging behaviours. It's hard enough to lose the weight let alone us standing in our own way! Ugh. Kudos for moving forward.

BillBlueEyes Good morning. Good going on finding some good peaches. I'm glad you're doing good....LOL. (Good Gravy! Using the same word in several sentences doesn't always turn out very good.)
Old 10-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #124  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Thank you all for such positive responses..you do not know how much we need them right now. I started on the ir diet book and will start the beck today. I plan on starting with day one again and re-reading and adding to the list of reasons to lose weight.
Sorry that I have not answered the messages personally but do know that I do read them. Dh is really taking it hard...on thursday last week he did not even go to bed but stayed up and wrote his talk for the next level of talks if they go that far. I just cannot believe that the supervisor has done things that are illegal and they are not doing anthing yet...dh is gonna really persue this.
I am really learning to love you all with all my heart because you are just there for me. You all are the best...thank you just doesn't seem enough.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #125  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I had a wonderul day today!! Hubby and I got out to starbucks this morning, read the sunday paper and enjoyed the morning. Picked up a loaner tv from my stepson, he even delivered it and hooked up the cablebox for us. Now I just need to remember how to hook up the dvd player Then I managed to get heaps and heaps of laundry done Even vaccuumed!! (did I spell that right?) Some days, just getting the laundry done, and the carpets done can be a real feat!!

Food is good, no exercise, but lots of running up and down 3 flights of stairs.

Have a nice evening everyone.......I'll post personals in the morning
Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Day 1 was was a success so far, tho its not over

I started weight watchers and had a pretty easy time of it because I was at work. Im home now and the fridge will be calling me...but i won't answer
Old 10-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #127  

OneByOne- "every day I try and then I just fall short" boy can I identify with that. It does get disheartening, but at least we are still trying

RobinW- What a great day! Sometimes it all just falls into place nicely, doesn't it?

angelmomma210- I dont know your whole story cause im pretty new around here, but you and your H are in my prayers too..hang in there!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #128  
Hunger-not an emergency!

S/C/G: [url=http://www.3fatchicks.com

Prayers please for a girlfriend of mine she has lost her 3 daughters in a fire early this am. They were at their dad's house. They were divorced and she lived for her girls. It was hard losing our Kathy...but to lose all three of her daughters is hard...words do not fit here. Thanks you.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:42 PM   #129  
Lovin' Life

Oh my! I just couldnt possibly imagine what that poor mother is going thru. She will be in my thoughts.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #130  

Thats unthinkable! I'll keep her in my prayers for sure.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 AM   #131  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - HELP, need Halloween candy substitute

Diet Coaches - I overate at a family meal - perhaps to pay homage to the chef, DS's GF, or just out of laziness. The presentation was a Cornish Game Hen on each plate. I could have cut it in half for enough food, but managed to just nibble myself through the whole thing. Oh Well. I did, however, buy two pomegranates and separate out the arils (yep, that's the word for the little corn sized seed casings) that are so sweet and yummy. CREDIT moi. Those can be added to about everything, the ones that don't just get eaten right away.

DW and I got ridiculed by both kids for ideas to avoid giving candy for Halloween. They assured us that any attempt to give apples or clementines will be thwarted by diligent parents watching for razor blades. We just can't get into handing out tons of candy. Any ideas?

Robin (RobinW) - It's a wonderful stage in life when your kids can loan you a TV - and even set it up.

onebyone - What a sign that you got Beck in your blood - even your puppet is doing exercise, LOL. (Good grief, LOL.)

shrinkin - Yay for a manicure and new sweater. Assume that this message finds you at your hotel, incognito, caped, ready to burst into the meeting at which you are unexpected and save the world. Have a strong road warrior day.

angelmomma210 - My sympathy to your friend who lost her three girls; an unimaginable loss. Sending you and your DH supportive thoughts for your second week of waiting.

Nancy (Tigerseye) - Kudos for day one success. Do you care to share some of your advantages with us? Great thought here, "the fridge will be calling me...but i won't answer."

Readers -
"the solution at a glance

No matter what your mindset is like today you can learn how to change it, not only to lose weight, but also to make sure that you keep it off - permanently." Beck, pg 43.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #132  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, Becksters!

Sunday
OP food
OP supplements
spontaneous exercise extra in the parking lot at church

and losing over 3 pounds since 2 weeks ago! (Making up for last week, which I knew I would, of course!)

The workshop went pretty well, though I was prepping for it through the church service. Still, I had one of those last minute brainwaves and stopped off at a dollar store for some craft materials.

We opened by sharing our experiences with labyrinths and I shared some of the images I found of different styles from the labyrinth society. (http://labyrinthsociety.org/) Then we made finger chartres labyrinths on paper plates.

And, surprise, surprise! I have time this morning for personal messages!

shrinkin: I hope the trip goes well for you. for getting in that pool for 25 minutes instead of insisting you get all or nothing! I can't tell you how many times I've been derailed by thinking that if I couldn't do it all I wouldn't do it AT all! Mazel tov on your son's wedding!

onebyone: Congrats on a successful animation workshop! Any chance we'll get to see that little guy work out? on the realization that things don't stop... stopping is NOT an option. Here's a little to help get you through.

As to the workshop, a little over a year ago my nature-based small group at church went on a labyrinth walk at another UU church. We all have our own unique paths, but the labyrinth meditation seems to be something we share on a personal level. There's lots of room for expansion at our church and talk has been going around about adding a labyrinth as well as a memorial garden to the grounds.

We wanted to understand labyrinths a bit better, and I have to say that designing one has definitely increased our understanding of them.

angelmomma: My prayers for your husband, that things will finally be resolved to a fair conclusion. As for your friend... you're right, no words could possibly express the depth of her sorrow, nor fill the void left by her children. I am glad that she has a friend in you, someone she can turn to in need.

Robin: I'm happy that you had a good day. Today, I hope to follow your example and get my place spiffy. Only one "c" in vacuumed. (I had to look it up - I always make that mistake myself.)

Nancy: Congratulations on making your official start!

happy1025: I'm glad you have come out of lurking to join us!

Bill: Pomegranates! What about passing out party favors instead of candy? It might be a bit more expensive, but it won't make kids fat or give them tooth decay, so it sounds to me like it's worth a little extra cash. I'm sure your local Party City or dollar store will have something like these: http://partysupplieshut.makesparties...roductID=63839

Last edited by twilit tera; 10-20-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 AM   #133  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

Ive attached a photo of the shirts I did on Saturday. All within 5 hours! Underneath that pile are also 5 more groups of team shirts that I had time to fold nicely Today is folding day for the rest of them.

Food so far so good, I need to get more water in. I plan to get out and go for a walk thru the neighbour hood today. I shouldnt be too bogged down with work this afternoon if I get my rear in gear!

Bill~ being married to someone who has older kids is a wonderful things....they even cut the grass and shovel the driveway in the winter ...no I wouldnt give out fruit either. Its just something that will get smashed against someone's house. I like Tera's idea for party favours. How about noisemakers? I usually get some coupons from burger king or mcdonalds, either french fries or ice cream coupons. We only get about 8 kids so its easy enough and it keeps me out of the candy bag. Then my daughter gets the extras if there are any left over.

Tera~ Kudos for spontaneous exercise Kudos for 3lbs gone

onebyone~ let us know how everything went today. Have you thought about upping your protein and fibre intake to counter that woozy feeling? Have you also thought about just taking one day for yourself, to do what ever you wanted? Sleeping, resting, reading....anything you want that will help recharge your batteries.

shrinkin~ what fun rewards!!! Manicures and sweaters!! Kudos!

Im off to get busy so I can get my walk in........have a great day everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blanks 011.jpg (26.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 215/179.5/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi All
I finally made it through day 3 and on to day four. I still caught myself going to eat standing up carrying my plate from the kitchen to the table. I'm thinking that this is going to be an interesting journey.

Bill- when I was a kid trick or treating the dentist up the road gave out toothbrushes
Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #135  

Hello, everyone. I know I haven't posted in awhile. I'll explain that in my next post. This one has to be short.

Bill, I get individual bags of pretzels and the little boxes of raisins to give out instead of candy. Hanover has a box of 36 bags of pretzels for $5.99 this time of year. The kids seem to like it.
Closed Thread