Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #16  

Just for fun I googled the words appetite and hot weather and found someone discussing it. Here's the link. http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/33681.html
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #17  

There's a storm coming through so I think we're in for a little relief from the heat. Short lived, though. We will be going to Alaska in July and my son who lives there says it is cooler......highs in the 60's. I felt really fat yesterday but this morning I was down a lb. What's with that fat feeling anyway? Is it water. Could be the meds. So tired lately.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:33 PM   #18  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Yes, I don't have much of a desire to heat in hot weather. I just got back from a music festival where it was very hot in the daytime and the last thing I wanted to do was to eat. Unfortunately, I did not feel the same way about cold beer. But what a mischevious little joke for nature to have all these wonderful fruits and vegetables come ripe at the same time when people's appetites are squelched. We need a conference call with Mom Nature.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #19  

Hi, Jo. I was able to get in 45min on the eliptical yesterday and last night I felt a lot better. So this morning I'm going to do it first thing to see if it helps with the tiredness. How was the music at the festival? Have you seen Fiddler lately?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #20  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

It has been a while since I've seen Fiddler; we've both been busy -
Oh I envy those of you who can get into exercise. I did it before but it is not happening now.
My big thing now is my big huge bag of CSA vegetables to use up. This may be a weight loss strategy - INADVERTENTLY though. At first I was using all these vegetables IN things and on things, which is a great first step but I cannot possibly make so much pizza, casseroles, things-over-rice and "what-not" with all these vegetables and have it not go bad. I am very satisfied with about 1/5 of the volume of food I can create using these vegetables with other added ingredients in other dishes. So now my plan is to just use the vegetables with a minimum of other ingredients. It really breaks my heart to have these lovingly grown local vegetables thrown out. It doesn't break my heart to throw out "ordinary" food, but to me these are not "ordinary" foodstuffs. So now I am thinking - forget the rice, the noodles, the bun, or whatever else may be cutting my precious bounty. I just made a bunch of sauteed vegetables, with just a little seasoning and some almonds for protein. We don't need no stinkin' rice. It's not about being low carb but I just want to waste as little as possible of my blessed produce and to do so means to cut out as much as possible of the other stuff. Which to me would be carbs since I don't care about meat.
I'd like to make the casseroles and stuff and freeze it for the winter but I have not have any luck with frozen things retaining their initial quality. Even with the vacuum sealer.
I'm thinking about all kinds of ways to use up my vegetables; "pizza" using a pressed vegetable crust, "crab cakes" using about 20 % crab and the rest finely chopped vegetables, and a bunch of other seemingly silly ideas. I'll let you all know how it goes.

jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #21  

It's hard for me to throw away produce, too, Jo. The pizza and crab cakes sound good. I do can tomatoes and beans and freeze corn and strawberries. The strawberries aren't too bad if you use them in slushes or don't let them thaw completely before you use them. Corn is nearly unchanged by freezing. I'm growing snow peas this year so we'll see how they freeze. Winter squash and onions last nearly all year in our cold room in the basement. I was amazed at the onions as I just used up the last from last year. Let us know any good recipes you come up with.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #22  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Hey ladies, I took a break for a week or so from everything related to weight loss. I won't say I feel off the wagon because I kind of felt I needed a break. I didn't over eat, but didn't exercise. Anyway I'm back at it woo hoo. Nice thing I have been trying on close in a 24 and they are ok. Also enjoying having more options to shop at. Looking forward to hitting my goal of an 18 by the end of the year.

I see things have slowed down here, but nice to see you guys....
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #23  

Great to see you, Obie. I pmd 2frus because I miss her great posts. Hope she comes back.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #24  

After losing around 15lb this year today my clothes felt looser than they had in a long time. Still sticking with IE because I think it's the only thing that I will be able to stick to long term. We are getting lots of rain here and what a blessing.........I won't have to water all the flowers and garden!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Thank you for having posted the Stephen Hawks article. One of the things which caught my eye was his observation that the serving size at the Thai MacDonalds were approximately one-third the size of the ones here in America. I think it was back in the late '70's or early 80's that I began to notice restaurants were serving larger portions. This seems especially true with the franchise restaurants: not just McD's, but Bennigan's, TGIFs, all of them. That was because their corporate managements determined that for maximum profitability, they had to make each person who came in spend a certain dollar amount. However, in order to make that larger dollar amount not feel like a rip-off, they served more food per portion.
I remember thinking to myself way back then (in my late 20's & early 30's--I'm in my mid-50's now) that people were going to gain weight because of this. Believe me when I tell you it was much harder to eat relatively healthy at fast food places back then. At least now they've got salads and other healthier choices.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #26  

Fattofit, I'm in my 50's, too, and wonder sometimes how I spent years without a thought to what I ate. Was it intuitive eating? I never was much of an athlete and wish I could get back to that kind of eating. I have a DIL who is the same way.......so thin until she started to have kids and then struggling ever since. The Overfed Head is a good book that explains some of the reasoning behind that and I guess I better reread it as I haven't read it in quite awhile.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #27  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Hey everyone, well something interesting happened. I mentioned I took "break" from all things weight loss related, no excercise and no calroie counting, but I did kind of stick to my IE. It was more unconscious than anything. SO I decided to weight myself so how much I had gained and I lost 6 lbs in about a week. I feel almost like a science experiment. I honestly think is was a combination of IE and the weights I had been doing. Anyway, trip to Jamaica is in less than a month and I start buying clothes next weekend. Glad to see Everything is working out for you Carol.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #28  

Great experiment, Obie! I, too, have had an interesting experience. We quite often have company on Sun. which includes a large meal and even dessert. It seems now that after that I can't eat the rest of the day. It's like there is a tape playing in my head saying, "Don't eat that. It won't taste good because you're not hungry." Kind of flabbergasts me.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #29  

Obie, Is that 6lb below your ticker? That's quite a bit for one week!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:25 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Default My smart HS pal's idea about "boring" food...

carolr3639, my own experience half my life ago was that I did use IE. That's what made me gravitate to this thread, because it sounded familiar. I did keep half an eye on what I was eating. If there was a birthday, meaning someone provided cake, sure, I enjoyed it--but I also would eat less for the next day or so, meaning I kept a semi-conscious awareness of calories consumed. Mind you, I never have wanted to, nor been able to be a conscious calorie-counter. To me, that starts becoming compulsive behavior. As Hawks observed, truly normal, naturally-tuned-into-their-honest-appetite people don't DO that! They simply pay honest attention to their hunger--or lack of it.

Now here's an interesting insight from one of the smartest people I know: She's a doctor, of Japanese descent (so she & her family eat healthily in the first place) & was the valedictorian of our HS class. Our 40th HS reunion was this weekend, so she was in town. (By the way, she's a healthy weight, not fat, not skinny, not compulsive in any way.) We were discussing food. I don't remember what food was mentioned, but I opined I couldn't eat much of it, since I would find it boring. She said, "I've found that I like 'boring' food; I find I just eat till I'm not hungry anymore; it's easier to stop, since my tastebuds aren't clamoring, "More!More!"

The interesting part (besides this concept) is that she eats most different kinds of food. Our friendship goes back 44 years, so I'm friends with her family. When we all eat together, they serve a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, some meat with all the fat trimmed off--and dessert! They even have a whipped cream charger, to use with after-dinner coffee and cake--BUT everybody just has one piece &/or one cup of coffee with the whipped cream. So they do all eat healthy, even pig out on the healthy stuff--they just don't go overboard with dessert.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote