Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #106  
Princess In Training

Ephiphany... WELCOME!!! Good for you for making that decision to lose weight!

I'm also "single as single can be" but I have a good life with friends and family. Not that I wouldn't welcome the attention of a good man...

How do you like Chicago? I've never been up that way other than a quick layover in O'Hare.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #107  
Enjoy The Journey . . .

Thanks for the welcome!

I've lived my entire life in Chicago except for two years away at college in Kansas, but I love it here. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else!

I guess what I like most about Chicago is the diversity, and that it has so many things to do and see. There is no way that you can come to Chicago for more than a day and not find something good to see, do or eat. It has everything. The best pizza, italian food, chinese food, indian food, soul food, cajun food, and on and on.

I think the best time of the year to visit is in June and July because all of our yearly festivals are going on: The Jazz Fest, The Blues Fest, The Gospel Fest, The Country Music Festival, and the mother of ALL festivals: The Taste of Chicago. People come from around the country for the Taste. Hundreds of restaurants, outdoor concerts (which are free) plus a carnival in Grant Park, which is one of the largest city parks in the US (like NY's Central Park).

We also have outdoor movies in Grant Park in the summer. You just show up with your blankets, food and drinks, and lawn chairs and their is a festival of movies that are shown on a giant movie screen in the middle of the park. They give out a list of the scheduled movies which are shown on Tuesday nights every week, and they show everything from old classics like Gone With The Wind to action movies and animated movies. It's like going to the drive-in without the car and without having to pay to get in, and it's cool to see so many people from different races, religions and backgrounds all together laying out with their families and friends under the cool summer breeze and enjoying a really good movie.

You'd love Chicago, and I hope that one day you'll get the opportunity to visit.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:33 PM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany1968
Hi Everyone,
I came to the realization that I have to love myself FIRST before I can expect someone else to love me.
Amen, sister! I have always been saddened by "larger girls" who felt the needed to "give it away" (sexually) in order to get attention from men. We must love and respect ourselves FIRST before we expect love and respect from others, male or otherwise.

Quote:
It's up to me to change my life and be happy, I can't put that kind of power into someone else's hands.
And another amen!! Sounds like you have your head on straight!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #109  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi Everyone.

Kathy - what type of exercise have you been doing? I can relate to having relationship issues affect your mood. If possible try to pinpoint what is going on so maybe you can change things. Luckily I don't eat ice cream too often. I was at the store and there was a great sale so I couldn't pass up buying a couple of pints. I was good with the first but not the second. I won't buy ice cream again for a long time. If it's in the house I eat it (chocolate and other sweets too). I know this is easier said then done, but don't beat yourself up over the past. Tomorrow is a new day. Try to learn from the past but don't let it get in the way of the future. I am sure there is someone great out there for you - just be patient and open to it. In the meantime feel free to share all you want.

IWMFT - any chance that you could exercise at lunch time on some days? I can't get up early either and very soon after work is not going to work at all because of the weather. Another thought - I just starting having a protein bar around 4 or 5 and then I am not hungry for dinner so fast. If your schedule permits you could do something like that and then go workout and then eat. Just a thought...

Welcome Epiphany. As I read your post I felt like you were writing about me, except that I have not had the courage to dedicate myself to self improvement and have also not been lucky enough to not make a lot of horrid mistakes in my life with guys that didn't deserve me. I give you a lot of credit. Thanks for joining us.

Ang

P.S. Where is LA?

Last edited by shyangel; 08-12-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #110  
Princess In Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyangel
IWMFT - any chance that you could exercise at lunch time on some days? I can't get up early either and very soon after work is not going to work at all because of the weather. Another thought - I just starting having a protein bar around 4 or 5 and then I am not hungry for dinner so fast. If your schedule permits you could do something like that and then go workout and then eat. Just a thought...

Ang
I would love to be able to, but my gym membership is about 1/2 from where I work (close to my home) so working out at lunch isn't an option. I'm planning on going Saturday morning before it gets too crowded and having on of the personal trainers help me create a good beginner's weight program that I can do 3 days a week. I'll start with that and when that becomes routine I'll try to pick up an aerobics class or something.

I know I'll feel better once I get my exercise going, but I'm just so tired (and partially so lazy) that I can't get moving. I've starting taking a vitamin suppliment to help my Iron levels, I think that is a big part of my problem.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 AM   #111  

Default hi

hey everyone! welcome epiphany!! are u sure you didn't read my mind before you wrote your opening message. i could of swore i thought that whole thing and forgot to write it. i am also "as single as single can be" and i also understand the finance aspect. i bought a house last year and just purchase a new car this past march. i still have lots of cards to pay off though. someday i'd like to go to chicago to see oprah. just a small dream of mine!

my exercise is mostly walking and videos. however, i bought (sucker) a lateral thigh trainer (as seen on tv) monday and recieved it wednesday(that was fast). i have been using it for a few minutes at a time. it is fun, but boy does it kill my legs after like 2 minutes. i will have to build up my time slowly. i'm starting out just doing commercials. so now i won't head to the kitchen.

i am having a very stressful day/nite. i am verrryy worried about my mom who was in the path of that hurricane and i haven't heard from her since 2pm this afternoon. i am hoping no news is good news.

well, i hope everyone has a good weekend!
kathy
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #112  
Persistent and Stubborn

IWMFT- are the vitamins helping? I can understand the location of the gym making it impossible to workout at lunch. I guess I am lucky that way that I run outside and we have showering facilities at work. It's a pain but better than not running at all. Did you get to the gym this morning? How was it with the trainer? I am thinking that I should join a gym for lifting and get a trainer to outline a plan. I have a friend who did it and she seems to be doing great. I'll be curious to hear about your experience.

Kathy - good for you for doing the thigh trainer. I am sure it will be helpful and by using it during commercials it will be doubly beneficial. Good thinking. I hope your mother is ok and the hurricane missed her.

Ang
Old 08-15-2004, 12:08 AM   #113  
Told I have a pretty face

Hi Ladies,

How are you all? I see there are MORE MEMBERS!!!!
Woo Hoo

Well, I did a bad thing today. I ate too much and then went to buy clothes. I should have bought the clothes first then went to eat!!
I am fat, I need exercise but I have no motivation. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!

EpiphenyI love chicago. My cousin lives there. We went up to see her and had the best time. Went to Rivinia Park (or Rividia?!??!) and took in a concert. Went to Second City. Had WONDERFUL SUSHI, it was a blast. You don't get to do that much here so it was nice.

Okay, well hope everyone is well

LA
Old 08-15-2004, 05:20 AM   #114  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi there people. I saw the thread and was thinking it may be a good place to chat with other singles. I'm too old to be discussing it! have always been single, happily so but sure wish I could put more fun in my life. Have four cats I've taken in with one or more of their lives gone. One was barely hanging on the eighth, but he's here with me still! Got a horse too.

From my stats below you can see I've got a good 30 lbs to lose. Hoping you all can give me the support. I'm in the middle of a hopeless binge day and feeling lower than low. Even the Olympics aren't cheering me up. In fact, they're making it worse because I certainly don't feel very athletic today! Well, hope to hear from you. This thread is huge. Hope I can get to know some of you before long.

Bye for now!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #115  
Told I have a pretty face

Welcome Red Balloon,

I hope you are feeling better. I've been on many a binge. I was feeling so low and bad about myself last week But today, I got up and went to church. Went to lunch with a friend then took a nice, long walk. Not a bad Sunday I think. Perhaps you should take a quick walk. I was amazed how much better I felt. JUST WALKING!!!!!!!
I plan to pack my shoes tomorrow and go walking again.

Well gonna go hop in the shower. Have a good day

LA
Old 08-16-2004, 08:29 AM   #116  
Never give up

thanks for the welcome tryinghard. Congrats on getting out and walking yesterday. I love walking. I've just gotten out of the habit of leisurely ones for no real purpose. I should do more of those, you're right.

Well, I'm feeling 100 percent better in any case. Yesterday I decided to salvage the day. Dusted off an old Cindy Crawford tape and did it! Hurrah! Yes, I felt sooo much better. Today I decided to **** with work, left two hours early and went to the gym. Jogged 5 K and did some chest. Just back after a 50 min. walk home and having a quick bite before hitting the hay. Must be up before 4 a.m. tomorrow morning.

Where is everyone here? Maybe it's still the weekend by you all.

Check you out later.

Last edited by redballoon; 08-17-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #117  

Default hey there!

hey everyone! welcome red balloon. i too have been on many a binge, especially on a lonely saturday nite with nothing better to do. it's hard that my friends are married, so that leaves me to fend for myself. i am not one to go out by myself. this past saturday i killed 2, yes, 2 whole hours at walmart. i get so caught up in that place that i lose track of time, but i guess it's better than sitting home with a pizza.

i'm still on track with the exercise, and the lateral thigh trainer hasn't become a shoe holder. i actually like that thing. i also bought a silly thing for myself at wallyworld. a hula hoop!!! i always loved those things as a child so i figured what the heck. it's exercise right??!! whatever works.

i was curious about something, how come this thread isn't under some club or group thread?? it just seems out of place here. it's not important i was just curious. i'm glad to have met everyone no matter where we write.

i hope everyone has a great week!
kathy
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 AM   #118  
Never give up

corning, hello. thanks for the welcome. Yes, I understand, probably we all do, the times when you gotta pull yourself up by the bootstraps 'cause the friends are snuggling? at home. But 2 hours in Walmart's not that bad. At least you were on your feet (I assume) and moving around (assuming again!).

About the thread, yes, I think it should be over in the support group forum. Also, I was wondering. Do you think we could start a new one. This one is so long and takes a while loading. My online time is super expensive. Just a thought.

Check you out later!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #119  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi Everyone.

Welcome back LA and welcome Redballoon. I'm glad both of you have rebounded from your bad days. You seem to be doing so much better. Redballoon - when you get going you really go! Congratulations on doing the tape, walking, going to the gym, etc. I think LA was right that sometimes little steps are good - walking can really change your mood which can then lead to who knows what.

Kathy - good job staying with your exercise. I was home Saturday night alone too and it is hard to not overeat. I agree that walking around Walmart is better than eating at home. I just wish I could even get motivated at those times to go to the store or do something.

I'm going to try and start this threadin Support Groups. If I'm successful please join me there.

Ang
Old 08-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #120  
Never give up

shyangel, thanks for the welcome!

I found the new thread on the other forum. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45236

Everyone, come on over!
Closed Thread