Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Ommamma: Hope you had a quiet weekend. Sometimes not getting dressed until 2pm on a Saturday is just the thing needed. I speak from experience of course!

joysh: Hooray for the lost .lb. Cute summer clothes await.

murrcat: I hope your tests turn out well.

Jenny: I hear you on the daily weighing. I can't help it. I'm there every morning.

RuthAnn: HELLO!! Sorry to hear the Dr. won't let you lift. It's frustrating when you want to work out and your body just won't accommodate you. I know how that feels.

slip: So glad to hear you are feeling better. I've noticed my knee pain has subsided just the tiniest bit. It could be a combo of walking more because of the pedometer, the anti-inflammatory meds are working, the joints are getting stronger because I'm doing the PT exercises, and maybe it's finally starting to heal. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Shasta: Introduction of any kind of meds for me causes increases in weight. I'm taking anti-inflammatory meds right now and saw a jump of a few pounds. Also, don't freak out when moving from P2 to P3 to P4. My weight did some wild fluctuations during that time but has finally settled down. I'm up about 3 lbs from my starting weight at the beginning of Maintenance. Hang in there!

I did the hydrostatic body weight test yesterday. They did a dry weight beforehand, 143. I was 141 yesterday morning at home, which is up 2 lbs from my normal weight, but that usually happens after the weekend. This was at 4pm so there was the expected difference. The test shows me at 33% body fat and for my age/height/weight and I should be at 30% and 136 lbs. Yikes! I wasn't expecting that. To get into the healthy range I need to loose 7 lbs of fat. I found this interesting because the BMI calculations that I do on the net come to this same number. Just the very thought of dieting again makes me groan. I just don't think I can do it again right now. I don't want to mess with my metabolism by going back on P1 so soon. But I think the better plan for me right now is to up my cardio and strength training to see if that will help. Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

I spent the weekend looking at bikes. Wow! They are expensive. I'm having second thoughts about buying a bike and all the stuff that you have to get to go with it: carrier for the car, helmet, lights, pump and repair kit, etc. simply because I don't want to go to the expense of buying one and then find out that it aggravates my knee and then I'm stuck with a pricey bike that I can't use, like what happened with hiking. I also went to the YMCA to check them out for the swimming. More expense. I would have to join the Y, pay $70 a month for membership, and then pay additional for swim classes. So, for right now I am going to use my stationary recumbent bike(doesn't bother my knee) walking, and free weights and see what happens. I had another 10K+ day on the pedometer yesterday. Seeing that number encourages me to do it again today.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #107  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hello Everyone,

Slip, I hope you are feeling better!!!

Catlady--good on you for looking for other ways to exercise.

Jenny, I hope the weekend was fun. I did get out into the garden and planted a few things and added some compost and mulch. There is still more to do.....I also let my saboteur have some fun--we ate a little less for breakfast Sunday and walked to the new french bakery that opened up about a 15 minute walk away. I had one plain butter croissant.

Ruth Ann--good to see you here.

Shasta, my weight fluctuated in these past weeks as I started maintaining and has now settled down about 4 to 5 pounds higher than when I started P4. Plus the meds you are taking will certainly add water weight as others have corroborated...hang in there.

Everyone else--hello there.

I went to see my ND today for the first time since starting IP last June. She was very excited to see what I accomplished, and congratulated me on "staring diabetes and metabolic syndrome in the face and scaring it off, and that not everyone would faced with the same issues." I will go for all the blood work this week and we will see how that goes--most probably a lot of improvement and hopefully it will be clear what to do for the good old thyroid.

Have a great week!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #108  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

catlady - I would try to add some strength training in there. The additional muscle would probably be good for your knee and it would increase your lean mass, which would decrease your bf% and get you closer to where you're supposed to be. This will also help increase your metabolism so hopefully you won't need to go back to P1. I can understand not being ready to diet just yet. I wouldn't want to either.

I'm on my second week of P2 and things are going well. I'm really looking forward to when I can get back to my usual exercise routine! I've already done lots of research into P3 so I think I have my breakfasts figured out...I'm one of those crazy planner types.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:37 PM   #109  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Catlady, I meant to mention that my ND suggested today that I wear a weight vest while walking. Maybe this could work to build up muscle during whichever exercise works best for your knees? There are adjustable weight ones to build up the weights.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hi ladies,

Ruth Ann - glad to hear that you are doing well maintaining. That is a bummer that your weight training exercise had to be scaled back but good for you for keeping on moving.

Shasta - I'm sure those lbs will be off in a day or so, they don't sound like real lbs. keep drinking your water

Andrea - I hope to get a similar scan soon. I think adding exercise is a good plan to reduce body fat and build lean muscle. Can you get one of those big balls that you can sit on? They have them at some gyms and they are great, cheap, and you can do a whole bunch of things with them. Also buying a few hand held weights. I am considering a bike for this summer but am a little afraid about the expense. Trying to see if DH will get for my 40th

Murrcat - I bet the croissant was totally worth it. It wasn't my day for a treat but I did walk into a lovely bakery for coffee and nearly lost all will power.

Kimo - glad P2 is going well. What is your first P3 breakfast?

Went to use MFP and the settings have been changed for carbs, proteins, fats p, sugar. I don't know how that happened. Anyway, going back to track to make sure things are where they should be and I'm not fooling myself. My kids have got a cold and I feel like I'm just waiting to see whether I get or not. Have my 30km road race this Sunday so would be very happy to not catch this cold.

Hi to Laina, Eve, joy, ommamma and everyone else
Old 03-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Thanks all for the encouragement. The 5 lbs went away in one day so maybe it was some weird fluke. I've had 2 days of P3 and so far so good.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Shasta, Yay!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo88 View Post
catlady - I would try to add some strength training in there. The additional muscle would probably be good for your knee and it would increase your lean mass, which would decrease your bf% and get you closer to where you're supposed to be. This will also help increase your metabolism so hopefully you won't need to go back to P1. I can understand not being ready to diet just yet. I wouldn't want to either.

I'm on my second week of P2 and things are going well. I'm really looking forward to when I can get back to my usual exercise routine! I've already done lots of research into P3 so I think I have my breakfasts figured out...I'm one of those crazy planner types.
I also figured out three options for P3 breakfasts ahead of time... They worked really great for me – like you, the planning ahead helped me stay calm and of course then I knew what to buy, stock, etc. I have actually continued eating those three breakfasts on P4 for now – they're very satisfying and work well.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:18 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Haha, just had a flash moment murrcat, thinking about the weight vest... funny that you have to lose weight so that you can add weight via a vest for your walking... huh?! That seems a bit strange to me.

Hey Andrea, how about shopping for a good used bike (one that someone once decided would be a good idea then didn't use very much at all); sporting equipment especially something to 'get fit' with is often sold about this time of year.... you never know what sort of bargains you could find. Check out some bikes in shops and see what sort of frame fits you and get a couple good brand names that would work, then keep an eye out and I bet you will find something fairly quickly for a very good price. You could also check with your local police department, often they have a stock of recovered stolen bikes that they want to get rid of after a period of time if they cannot identify owners.

Shoutout to Ruth Ann, plus all the other new & 'old' maintainers. Jenny, I hope your road race goes well this weekend and you run too fast for the germs around you. That last bit goes for you too Slip!

Liana
Old 03-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #115  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Good morning everyone!

Hawaii - just noticed your nice pics. Looking good!

Andrea - I go with Liana's suggestion to look for a used bike. I got mine nearly new at about 1/3 of the price.

That's interesting about the hydrostatic body weight test. I'm with you on your idea of just upping your cardio, etc. You're so very close to where it says you should be there's no reason not to take it slow. My current weight puts me just at the healthy end of the BMI chart for my height (not that I necessarily trust those charts) and I figure it's better to focus on getting stronger and moving more than actually trying to get any weight off. And it's early, did any of that make sense?

I know I missed a bunch of people in there but gotta fly! Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #116  
Started IP 11/26/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Kimo - glad P2 is going well. What is your first P3 breakfast?
My first breakfast is definitely going to be toast w/PB2, mueseli, yogurt, and berries. I'm so excited!! I even logged this breakfast into MFP to test the numbers and make sure it works. April 1st can't come soon enough! Actually, I'm enjoying P2 so I don't feel like I'm in a huge rush to get to P3. Who knows, maybe this week I'll have one lash whoosh before I add back in those carbs.

shasta - I'm glad those up lbs went away quickly for you. Despite the fact that we know weight gain like that can't be fat it still sucks to see it on the scale!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #117  

Kimo, I had a lot of nervousness about adding those carbs back in, but my body handled it swimmingly well and I lost a few more inches at my waist and a pound or so during P3, and another pound the first week starting P4, even though I added about 500 to 700 more calories to the day. So it really does work if you work it, as they say. I had an episode during P1 where I added 3 extra IP packets for two days due to a heavy schedule and a freak out: )and I gained 6 pounds (and lost them the next day), but that freaked me out since it was only adding 400 calories a day at that point. But somehow the P2 to P3 to P4 process truly does work. I have lots of energy now (I’ve been on P4 for a week so I’m only a few weeks ahead of you) and am able to do the workouts I was doing before I started IP, so it’s very nice. Good luck!!!

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 03-25-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #118  

Hello everyone, doing well, going into second week of P4 and just really pleased with the overall IP plan. I chose IP because people seemed to be successfully maintaining, and I can see why now. My body/pancreas/insulin/blood sugar seem to be more in balance than I can ever remember, even when I was really young I got blood sugar headaches. I am so grateful to not have that suffering, mood swings, inflammation, headaches. I feel at ease for the first time in a long time. And I love the maintenance plan, I feel totally satisfied and find all of the food very pleasurable. Yay!

Had a very good visit with my doctor, who manages the plan in their office, and everything/blood tests/measurements/etc. are all very good.
So now a focus on maintenance, esp. this year, and for my lifetime - but it feels right now a pleasure to do it. I’m sure I’ll have hard times that feel challenging, but I feel up for it.

They showed me the before and after pictures (I lost about 80 pounds in the course of a year) and it was a little shocking - I actually don’t have a memory of myself looking like that, which is both disturbing and also I guess an accomplishment. It was good I think because it grounded me in how poor my health really had gotten after being so out of balance hormonally for so long, and the organs so poorly functioning. I am grateful that I was able to make the steps needed to make such a big change. I had been trying for so long to find the long term answers, and happy to have found something that actually healed the bottom line causes.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 03-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #119  
started IP 6/21/14

S/C/G: SCG: 156/125/125

Height: 5'4"

Just dropping in to say hello to everyone. Been lurking and catching up - nothing to add I've been up or down one pound of goal, low carb days after any treats. Experimenting with protein powder recipes still, which is fun. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #120  
Started IP 11/26/2014

Grateful4Health - I'm so glad to hear that you lost in P3. P3 scares me because I feel like I'll experience a gain...I know if I do it's not a fat gain but, it's still scary! Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you and lose a few pounds in P3/P4. I'm glad to hear you're feeling so much better now too. I know what you mean about not feeling like you looked like you did in the before pictures. I never pictured myself as big as I actually was. Funny how we can live in denial like that.
Closed Thread