Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #256  

Hi murrcat
I don’t have any input about BMR, but liked reading your post.
My thyroid meds have been a bit in flux also - they are pesky to get right, aren’t they?
Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #257  

I have just a curiosity question for you all - my balance (physical postural balance) has been an ongoing issue for me since about half way to goal. This might be because the majority of my exercise has a lot of focus on balance and balancing type poses.
I am aware, also with help from my physical therapist, that this is a result of the body’s center of gravity changing and the proprioceptor muscles working to understand how the body was changing.
I’m curious though if anyone else has had similar experiences, and if you have been maintaining for while, if it eased out over time.

I have been fine with daily life activities for the most part (occasionally I’ll run into something or fall, which I never have done much of in my life) but mostly this is esp. happening in balancing poses in yoga and Pilates.
I’ll also post this over on the exercise thread, but curious what you folks that have been maintaining for while have experienced.

It came up again today during Pilates and I continue to be a little surprised by it…. still learning to navigate a different body than what I had been accustomed to.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrcat View Post
Hello Everyone, Just checking in. Work has been crazy busy.

I've been maintaining now since the end of January, and am slowly adjusting.

I had a lot of testing done, and my glucose, insulin and cholesterol numbers are now super healthy. My ND is enthusiastic for me and said--the numbers don't lie, that is why I recommend IP!

My thyroid meds are still in flux, and have been adjusted twice in the last month due to still having multiple symptoms that include unexplained weight gain. I'm trying to be patient and generous towards myself while all this gets worked out. Not always the easiest thing......

Ultimately, I may need to get my BMR tested, since I've been eating an appropriate amount for what my calculated bmr plus sedentary lifestyle warrant. Has anyone had their bmr tested and recommend a process for that?

Also, I post my food daily on mfp and can be found there as murrcat67 if you are interested in sharing food ideas.

Happy Spring !!
It's very detailed, murrcat, but here's the American Council on Exercise site to figure your BMR/RestingMR: https://www.acefitness.org/certified...easure-it-and/
Here's a great app to help (if you are into the app 'thing.') http://www.health-calc.com/diet/ener...iture-advanced

Hope it gets you started...
Liana
Old 05-01-2015, 02:48 AM   #259  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
I have just a curiosity question for you all - my balance (physical postural balance) has been an ongoing issue for me since about half way to goal. This might be because the majority of my exercise has a lot of focus on balance and balancing type poses.
I am aware, also with help from my physical therapist, that this is a result of the body’s center of gravity changing and the proprioceptor muscles working to understand how the body was changing.
I’m curious though if anyone else has had similar experiences, and if you have been maintaining for while, if it eased out over time.

I have been fine with daily life activities for the most part (occasionally I’ll run into something or fall, which I never have done much of in my life) but mostly this is esp. happening in balancing poses in yoga and Pilates.
I’ll also post this over on the exercise thread, but curious what you folks that have been maintaining for while have experienced.

It came up again today during Pilates and I continue to be a little surprised by it…. still learning to navigate a different body than what I had been accustomed to.
It's the running into something or falling that seems a little worrying to me....
Are you in menopause yet? I found that TOM affected my balance, and grip and proprioception even. I would drop stuff, and hit my hand (on the edge of the cupboard for instance) as I reached for something quickly, or trip because I didn't lift my foot high enough, weird stuff. BUT it was only for a few days before my period and then the rest of the time I was fine. Strange... I know.
Liana
Old 05-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #260  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Liana -- thank you for your post to me on the Daily Chat re all RDA and all the vitamins you currently take on maintenance. Actually, that is indeed something I have been trying to figure out -- how do I know what vitamins to take?! Wow, I never would have thought to take two multivitamins per day, in addition to the other stuff. I have so far just been supplementing with one multivitamin, D3, this Hair-Skin-Nails concoction (that has 5000 mug of Biotin plus a bunch of other goodies, omegas, and sometimes the calcium and magnesium -- all in the hopes of luscious locks returning ). I detest taking all these pills (and DH read some study that vitamins are a scam so refuses to participate...), but I would do it if I knew exactly what I needed. Actually, I will be seeing my endocrinologist in the next couple of months (who may or may not adjust my synthroid dose), and maybe she can give me a definitive list. Anyway, if others have a "vitamin formula" that seems to work for them, I'd sure be interested to hear it, realizing, of course, that every body differs.

shasta -- Great to hear the fun day did not derail! Lobster roll sounds yum.

murrcat -- Nice to see you here. Mind my asking what you daily calorie goal is generally? And when you say unexplained gain, about how much are you talking about?

Amber -- Good that you're trying to get to the bottom of this, but please be careful! I agree the falling sounds concerning, esp if not during yoga (during which I lose my balance all the time).

So, my PMS cravings caused me to give in to things like calimari (yes, the fried version) and similarly poor choices during dinner a couple of nights in a row, and combining that with the natural bloat of the following several days caused me to hit what I'm thinking of using as my yellow-light-almost-scream-weight-number on my home scale. Did 2 days of P3 (because I can't give up those breakfasts!), and am back down those couple of pounds this morning (hoping the drop continues tomorrow...). I have always had about a 5-pound range during TOM, and I guess that's gonna keep up. I should be more mindful about giving into those cravings which just exacerbate things though. I think there are actually some particular foods that are helpful on that and will look into that for next time.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #261  

Mornng. Rainy here in Colorado this next week - but nice to have the change of rain rather than snow.

Liana - I really appreciate all you share with us, and I send you well wishes for the many challenges you are juggling in your life. I find you very inspirational how you take on your life, with a kind of nobility and fortitude while still being honest, human and humble.

Andrea - did you have your surgery or is that next Wed.? Hoping you are doing well and thinking about you.

Thank you Liana and Mimi for your thoughts about the balance. I didn't word very well the Daily Life situation - I'm not running around falling down and knocking into things regularly, and by falling I meant more what you described Liana - I don't actually fall to the ground, just find myself tripping on my shoe a bit or not having the same footing I am used to, and I think the running into things (which also is infrequent) and dropping things I'm not used to, are actually due to just getting used to my body being a different size and moving in the world differently. These things only happen once every week or two, but enough that I notice there is a change. I grew up doing a lot of dance and gymnastics and have always had a lot of balance and ease in how I move, and in the past rarely had a concern climbing over something or walking on a beam or something (I hike so sometimes my footing is something I am focused on if I am climbing rocks or something). So it's just a change.

I am also doing thyroid and hormone adjustment and sometimes am a little shaky as we figure it out, so I think part of it is that too, as you described Liana during your TOM.

I am trusting that things will just get better over time, I'm giving myself this whole first year of maintenance to allow the body to adjust, and to get it stronger and toned. The trainer I am using for Pilates has been really helpful - she is also a physical therapist, which is why I chose her - and assures me that the stronger I become overall, but esp. in my core, the more I will feel at balance.

----
Otherwise things are good - had an intense training session yesterday, really pushed in to a few of my limits which I was happy about - so today am happily sore and also up 2lbs on the scale but I know there was no food change, so trusting that is water related to the muscle build. If I feel crazy about it in two days I might do a lighter food day on Sunday.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 05-01-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #262  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hi ladies,

Andrea - glad you found some success with alternatives. I'll be thinking of you on Wednesday

Grateful- no issues with balance but I'm sure if I tried yoga again I'd land on my face

Mimi- good work with using P3 to get he up lbs off.

Liana - are you enjoying the warmer weather? I think I found a bike but am going to have my coach take a look this Saturday. It's a Canondale which I heard is a good brand. Not a carbon bike tho, those are crazy $$$

Hi to everyone and hope your all staying on track.

Busy week and I fall asleep at toddler hour or senior hour depending on how you want to look at it so it's hard to find time to get on line. I did 10hrs sleep the other nigh - and yes to manage that I fell asleep before 9. Oh well just listening to my body. My body has also been hungry this week and craving carbs and sugar had my WI and weight 162 was down another inch so that felt good. I need to try to eat a little cleaner this week and munch on more veggies. Maybe make my own Taziki out of greak yog.

My coach paid me nice compliment, that I was one of her best maintainers, that people really struggle to keep it off. That was a little scary as I'm only 8mnths into it and her clinic has been running for a while. She says people just stop going once they've reached their goal. In that book refuse to regain they stressed how important it was to have your maintainence support and accountability. I guess like AA says "it works if you work it"
Old 05-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #263  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny38 View Post
Hi ladies,

My coach paid me nice compliment, that I was one of her best maintainers, that people really struggle to keep it off. That was a little scary as I'm only 8mnths into it and her clinic has been running for a while. She says people just stop going once they've reached their goal. In that book refuse to regain they stressed how important it was to have your maintainence support and accountability. I guess like AA says "it works if you work it"
Jenny that’s amazing. You do work really hard at it and regardless of the time doing it, you are a great example.

I am finding the same, that the maintenance support and accountability is very important. For me it really helps me not go into denial or kind of “disassociate” from my body and the reality of if I am gaining weight or not. It is really easy for me to do this - especially, especially during times of stress - it’s like a whole other mind set kicks in and I get completely out of touch with the food and body part - which is dangerous for me, because stressful times are for sure when I would eat higher calorie choices.
It happened last night, I actually could feel the decision happen to eat an extra snack rather than just sit in the discomfort of the stress I was feeling. Same happened the day before.

This morning I was up two pounds, and need to do a slightly stricter P4 day today, and also will do a p2 or p3 day tomorrow because I’m not working out. Then I will evaluate Monday morning how the weight is - hopefully it will drop off easier.
Don’t want it to cycle on too long. It’s tricky because I’m working out more and my muscles were super sore yesterday, so hard to know what’s what, if I actually needed the extra food etc….. I’m just looking at it as a learning curve and not to obsess about it other than to write it out here.

I hope everyone has a really good weekend, thinking of you all.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 05-02-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #264  

Thanks, Amber. I also 'made the decision' to eat crap last night, instead of just sitting in the discomfort. A sugar free chocolate bunny from the deep freeze, tortilla chips and a whole tub of light Philly to drag them through. It's not like I'm clueless and unaware - I actually feel myself dissociate from my body to make that decision. Knowing my tummy will feel like crap after. Oh well, another (better) day today.
Mimi, I just took a look at my Centrum again & they are Centrum Advantage, "with higher levels of key nutrients. Complete A to Zinc."
I still take two, lol. They have 100 mcg of B12 each pill.
Jenny, Cannondale is a good brand. They build their bikes well. I wouldn't worry much about carbon fibre unless you are starting to get into multiple tri's in a season. It usually doesn't make that much difference in your time unless you are at the elite level. As long as you don't get the steel frame WalMart special, you should find it light enough to handle and easily pedal. Cannondale will also be easy to resell if you decide to upgrade later.

Liana
Old 05-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #265  

That’s funny I am thinking of buying a bike soon for the summer and this is all good information!

I had my stricter little bit lower calorie P4 day today and it went fine. Lucky for me I was busy with social things so it was an easier day because I wasn’t thinking about stressful things and was enjoying everything happening.

Tomorrow is a restful day so having a lower calorie p3ish day should be fine…

Liana I had the random thought also that your body is probably craving some extra calories also since you were restricting for a while…. it’s such a sensitive beam we’re walking on now I feel…. I want to give myself this year to make some “mistakes" in the learning of it all but stay on track….

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 05-03-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #266  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi all!

Amber: My surgery is this Wed, 5/6. I'm nervous but my quality of life will be so much better when this is all over.

Jenny: So glad you found a bike! I really enjoyed the few bike rides that I did get to take.

Liana: I had a "out of body" type of day on Friday. Went to a wedding shower and ate a cupcake and drank champagne. Then had pizza for dinner. It's like I knew what I was doing and I knew it wasn't what I should be doing but I went ahead and did it anyway. Instead of punishing myself and feeling guilty I just ate low carb low calorie yesterday and will again today and we'll see where that gets me.

I took a lovely hike yesterday in the Trinity Forest. There was birdsong and butterflies everywhere. There was some sort of blooming plant similar to honeysuckle and the entire forest smelled so sweet. It was lovely. Today I'm treating myself to a pedi and then grocery shopping so I have plenty of easy to prepare things in the house for after surgery. The plan was to go back to P3 yesterday but I didn't do that because...Pizza. So I'll start back on P3 on Monday. Up 2 .lbs from my crazy day.

Last edited by catlady1981; 05-03-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #267  

Andrea best wishes to you this next few days.

After my two up pounds from two days of heavier workouts and more stress eating calories, I did a P4 day yesterday that was a little lighter, and am back down again today. Was grateful for that. Will do a slightly lighter day today also as am basically just kicking it in the house today. Your hike Andrea sounded lovely. Right now my chair feels lovely and I may not leave it- it’s raining outside and very relaxing to sit indoors and hear it.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 05-03-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #268  

I think part of my problem is my work schedule, since I don't eat breakfast until lunchtime just after I wake, so I guess I need a third meal in there somewhere... it's just that by late evening midnite-ish I don't feel like actually making a proper meal and just pull stuff out of cupboards & fridge. Plus I just don't feel like veggies at that time of night. On regular non-working days, I don't feel like breakfast either and I think that sets me up for later & later eating. It's a cycle. The more I eat at night, the less I feel like eating in the morning, and the less I eat earlier, the more I eat later. I do fine on a worknight because I am just so busy during the overnight period that I eat my well-planned snack I take with me and enjoy it, then go straight to bed when I get home.
At-home nights I want starch carbs & cheese. Even nuts, or a protein bar (& I like my bars) don't interest me. Evening time is when the day has wound down and there I am left alone (DH needs to get to bed by 9:30 for work the next morning) with nothing interesting happening. I do watch some DVD's or read if I have a good book on the go, but I still want to eat while I do that. I think I am also feeling a bit down as I see all the changes in the parents on both sides. A bit stressed and close to tears at times. Plus it is possible hormone changes are making it all worse. I am having real sleep issues lately. Not asleep til 2 or later, awake again at 4, then at 5 or 6, sometimes getting up then with DH and sometimes too tired and sleeping til 11. Ahh well, typing it out helps, lol.

I am actually having three meals at proper times today, so we'll see how it goes. I am fighting allergies today (or the start of a cold??) and had soup for lunch and orange juice to take my vitamins after. Not my usual mode - I never drink juice - it's such a waste of carbs & calories, but it was extra pulpy fresh squeezed not from concentrate, and truly delicious. I think I needed it, lol. My lunch fit into a 3:1 carb/fat maintenance meal anyhow.

Liana
Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #269  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Liana - I am sorry about all that you are going through right now. And, certainly, you must be right -- with your work schedule, you could very well have the makings of the perfect storm. Yet, look at how mindful you are being ... at every step -- acknowledging (and recording) the juice (vitamin C) you realized your body probably needed and even the starch and carbs you crave at night.

I am too new to all this to have anything really worthwhile to say, but I will offer one little suggestion, only because I have found this useful for my lunches. Maybe it will help for your late evening meals when you don't feel like cooking: leftovers. I know you already often have them because I see you mention them in your What You're Eating Today posts, but maybe just trying to have more of them laying around so you can grab something to easily nuke when you get home at such a late hour.

Andrea -- all the best with your surgery this week. I would've done the same thing as you re the party: had the champagne and maybe a slice of pizza and then just taken it a little easier then next day. Hope that formula works! Let us know if you have time.

Tried a new thing today (in my attempt to sneak tofu into family meals): made crunchy garlic tofu croutons to sprinkle on top of our first gazpacho of the season. Pretty darn tasty! Just dice up extra firm tofu and sprinkle on some garlic powder, sea salt, and a tiny bit of corn starch (optional). One quick spray of Pam (butter flavored) and then broil in oven or bake at high temp until as crunchy as you like. Need to eat right away for max crunch, otherwise, the inside is a little chewy -- not a huge deal, but then just a little harder to masquerade as croutons Kids never even knew....

Last edited by Mimi47; 05-03-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #270  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Liana - I think you are very wise minded and i think it's a great strategy to write out what your're going thru and feeling. It helps to get it out. I don't have anything to offer other than my support and I know you'll work thru this and it's part of the journey. Thanks for reasurrance on the bike, I figured it should get my butt around and if I really get into it I can sell the frame and up grade.

Amber- good work on strict P4 and using that to get up lbs off. I have have not been patient enough to try that. I think a lot of us struggle to tolerate distress, frustration, sadness.... For me it is always the struggle to not soothe with food. I have been doing some mindfulness exercises with clients at work that I have started to I corporate into my own life to help with this. They are quite a few resources on line.

Mimi- ok never been a tofu fan but your tofu croutons sound yummy. Totally impressed with that receipe.

Andrea - your hike sounds lovely and so do your toes. Good luck Wednesday.

Hi to Murrcat, Slip, Shasta, Eve, and everyone else who is maintaining.

I got a new PB for 1/2 marathon yesterday, 1hour 54 min! I could not believe it. Ran with my coach who sacrificed her own PB to get me mine. It was a beautiful day. I can't believe how much my life has changed for the better since IP and loosing all that weight. I feel so strong and healthy (just not today post run)

I'm up but I know I hold quite a few lbs post run so am doing Amber's strict P4 plan and then P1 later in the week.
Have a great week everyone.
Closed Thread