Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 12:29 AM   #241  

Grrrrrrr. I am finishing packing up my house tonight – the movers are coming tomorrow – definitely some stress snacking happening through the night. The good news is it's healthy choices, bad news it's too many healthy choices absolutely not based on hunger but rather stress/procrastination and frustration randomly through the night – and now my tummy is not only stressed but also bloated. ... Ah well, this too shall pass. Wish me luck!
Old 04-24-2015, 02:08 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful4Health View Post
Grrrrrrr. I am finishing packing up my house tonight – the movers are coming tomorrow – definitely some stress snacking happening through the night. The good news is it's healthy choices, bad news it's too many healthy choices absolutely not based on hunger but rather stress/procrastination and frustration randomly through the night – and now my tummy is not only stressed but also bloated. ... Ah well, this too shall pass. Wish me luck!
Are you making a big move? How did I miss that?
LOL, too many extra, healthy, and random choices - boy, do I know about that scenario...

Liana
Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #243  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hello lovelies,

Cbl70- great work maintaining and on your reboot.

Andrea - sounds like you've had some good bike rides. I've heard getting a proper fitting can make a huge difference. Maybe even look up on YouTube some information on form. I know I used to feel it thru my shoulders and knock after an hour spin class. I tried a rode bike this week, felt very different. Going to check out another store to see if they have any used ones.
Enjoy your hike.

Eve- good luck with house hunting. You have done a great job figuring out what works for your body. I imagine that there is some relief in not having to worry about doing P1 one days

Greatful - where are you moving to? I'm impressed with your hot yoga, that is so much work. Sounds like your up lbs could for sure be connected to that.
That's great information to post about the clinics. Can't complain about my coach. She just charges for the food and I still see her weekly in maintainence although there is the odd week I miss.

Liana - menopause and maintainence sounds like a whole other learning curve. You are doing a great job figuring it all out and managing your pain, work, family all at the same time. I'm glad the oil is helping.

Hi to everyone else and hope that you all had a great week.
Missing my WI today but home scale has me the same as last Friday 162 and won't know inches till next week. Been a busy week and was sick and both ends (I know TMI) after eating DH curry one night. I think too rich. The poor kids put themselves to bed. Felt fine the next day. Have had 3 nights this week where I woke up ++hungry at 2am, twice I gave into it not sure what's going on but worried about old habits. Sometimes if I work out in the evening it may happen. I will start using my resistance muscles.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #244  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

TGIF Maintainers!

Grateful: I have looked into Pilates. But, I'm cheap. Extremely cheap. Pilates classes are pricey. I just hate to pay someone to show me how to do something that I think I can do for myself. Although that could be how I keep hurting myself...Maybe instruction wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. I also missed that you were moving. That can be stressful so give yourself a break. As long as you aren't eating an entire bag of Doritos at one time, you should be ok.

Liana: The power surge question: Until I noticed that I stopped having them they seem to come in waves. Several days/nights at a time and then a day or two off. In my case it went on for at least 2 years. But everybody is different.

Jenny: Good luck on finding the bike that works for you. I've really enjoyed the few bike rides I've had so far. Makes me feel like a kid again.

But I won't be taking any bike rides for a while. I found out yesterday that I have to have bladder surgery. After many months of medication, physical therapy and electrical stimulation therapy, none of it worked. I was hopeful the situation would get better after my weight loss. It didn't. Most people don't talk about this because it's embarrassing but it does affect 1 in every 3 women. I have blabbed about everything else here, in my safe weight loss place, so I'm sure you all understand. I'm doing the scheduling today and it should be done the first week of May. Per my doc, absolutely no bike riding(not even my stationary), core work, or weight lifting of more than 8lbs. for at least the next 12-16 weeks. I can still walk for exercise. This will definitely improve my quality of life as everything I do is centered around where the next bathroom is. So I'm taking the borrowed bike back to my friend and I'll just have to work my way back to biking in the fall.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Good morning Maintainer friends,

Wanted to let you know that I posted on the New Announcement thread about the "big reveal" of the Ideal Lifestyle program that I went over with my coach this week. Won't repeat here so as not to bore anyone, but suffice it to say that I'll still be counting on reading about all your experiences and relying on those and my own for the bulk of my Maintaining knowledge!

Andrea -- sorry to hear you'll need surgery, especially when you've been trying to get so creative about new exercise programs, etc. But I do hear you on the light at the end of that tunnel and not living in constant search of a bathroom! Wishing you luck with it all.

Liana and evemomma (eve, glad to see your check-in; have followed your history for a while now) -- I'm paying particular attention to your carb/fat separation thoughts and experiences. That really seems to be my biggest challenge (the whole 3:1 ratio never seems to be right on), and I'll have to keep working to figure out what I can get away with and what I can't.

Amber -- I also missed that you were moving. Yikes! Too easy to stress-eat and also think about just finishing things off here and there from the refrigerator or pantry so you don't have to move them! I did some of that last night (bad decision after wine) and had for dinner a frozen Trader Joe's burrito type thing that I'm sure was mixing carbs and fats (and too high in sodium) ... the kind of thing I don't like to have in the house anymore, but I was "getting rid" of it so I didn't have to keep looking at it in my fridge. What kind of nonsensical rationalizing is that?! dumb. BTW, I love pilates and used to do it regularly. Am planning to get back to it once I finish with these personal training sessions I've paid for. It's all about the core! I need to keep it up so I can keep up with all the tennis I like to play.

Jenny -- I have also noticed that curries from certain restaurants (as opposed to those prepared as home) are too rich for me now. And I used to have an iron tummy.

cbl70 -- congrats on getting back to your goal weight in just 3 weeks! Good to know it can be done if you've been keeping an eye on things more or less along the way. Did you reboot with regular P1 or Alternate ?

Thanks for all the posting everyone and happy weekend
Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #246  
Stanski

S/C/G: 152/144/130

Height: 5'4"

So I've been away for awhile...struggling with Maintenance. I think it finally clicked, and I may kinda have the hang of it. I ended P3 in November and settled out at 140lbs. Since then I've gradually put on 6lbs. The first 4 or 5 came back very quickly as I struggled to figure out what I could eat and not eat. So now I'm eating what I want, lots of veggies and protein for lunch and dinner. I found that if I eat my carbs (2 slices of whole wheat high fiber bread, dry) along with fat free protein shake or yogurt for breakfast, that the weight seems to have stabalized. I do a cheat meal/drink usually on fridays and/or saturdays, and as long as I go back to low carbs, high proteins for the rest of the week, the weight doesn't add up. I'd like to reboot, to loose another 10 that I never lost last fall, but I'm suffering from diet fatigue, and can't bring myself to do it right now. Maybe next fall..... take care, hang in there, and wishing you all "great health"!!!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hiya, Stanski! Good to 'see' you. Glad things are going OK with your plan.
Thanks Mimi, read your bit on the other thread. Interesting. The 3:1 doesn't have to be right on, sometimes it's 2:1 sometimes 4:1 but I try to hit it as close as I can.
I tried Pilates quite a few years ago, just not my thing, although I do incorporate some of the ab work into my own mat regime (just not the ones that hurt my arthritis, lol).
Andrea, thanks for the info on power surges, lol. Absolutely none of my female relatives went through natural menopause due to relatively serious female 'issues' (kinda worried me a lot when I was younger) so I really have no idea what is the 'norm' from my gene pool. I also understand your bladder concerns as DH had to have a urethroplasty inside his body due to similar sorts of issues. He will never be back to normal, but it really doesn't affect much of our planned activities. It's just one of those things. Make sure you follow the no lifting/workout restrictions to a T. Very important! You'll be hoppin' onto the bike just when the Texas weather will be cooling down and make for enjoyable jaunts.

Perhaps you just need a little snack after your evening workouts, Jenny?? Maybe a small bit of protein will keep the 2 AM munchies away?

Liana
Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Morning,

I'm wishing it was the weekend still, I'm tired.

Stanski- good for you! You've done really well figuring out what works for you. It seems like you're keeping your carbs really low, do you ever have them at night a couple times a week? I add a couple nights a week a bit of pasta 1/2 cup or some granola on yogurt. I know Eve talked about adding in slowly and that worked well for her.

Liana - I have a snack after but I think you're right I need to add something more to it maybe fibre or a shake that will carry me to the morning. It will certainly keep me from chewing off my own arm in the morning and likely help me stop nibbling at the kids breakfast who I thoughfully feed before me. Hmm, maybe I should feed me first, like putting the oxygen mask on myself first and then the kids in a plane

Andrea - hang in there and hope the surgery fixes it all. I know my mom talks about this issue and is doing some exercises to strengthen her bladder. I imagine it does happen to lots of woman. You will be back on that bike and exerciseing soon enough but like Liana said don't rush it. Ruth Ann a
Had to stop exercising for awhile and managed weight fine for her surgery.

I indulged in popcorn last night and it was yummy and of course the scale is up this morning but I know it is the salt. I will stay the course and do P1 likely Tuesday. Had an indoor tri yesterday. 10 min swim=425metre, 30 cycle = 9.5 miles and 20 min run = 2.6 miles. It was lots of fun but lots of cardio.

Hi to everyone and have a great start to the week

Mimi - I will check out the new announcement
Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #249  

Hi Everyone! Thank you all for your kind comments. That was the first time I posted I was moving, so you didn't miss anything. I have moved a lot in my life due to work etc. so it's not an event I think about much until the few days that it is happening, though I am finding even having done it a lot and being fairly practiced at it, it still really affects me during the actual move.

It helped me that you said just hang in there. I didn't stress so much, added calories of my normal foods to compensate (and probably 500 calories of overcompensation and stress response eating) for two days, was up 2 lbs likely just also water retention from my tummy holding onto things from stress, then the 3rd day did an Alt P1 modified, and the lbs came back off.

So I am happy that I am learning to trust my body and what it needs and that some fluctuation is OK, and even in stress I can learn to handle it even when I didn't feel I did it 100% perfectly. This black and white thinking is a problem for me. Like I could feel some thoughts like "I am ruining everything" (meaning I am going to gain weight again) but I caught them right away and didn't linger on the thought.
It was really good for me to see that one or two days of change doesn't have to derail me so to speak, and it's all fine.

One of you wrote something a little while ago like people who just naturally eat "normally" and maintain a weight all of their life just naturally eat a little more sometimes, and then instinctively know to eat a little less. On the third day when I went to the P1 alt I wasn't even hungry - my body wanted some rest, and wanted less food, and it was nice to see I could start trusting myself, and even cutting back for a day or so wasn't a struggle, it was just natural.

I saw my physical therapist last night and was talking this through with him, and he said that in stress, that the "fight or flight" is activated, and the body signals to eat a lot since we are about to run away from a lion and will need the energy, so to speak. So he said it's good I just learn when this is the case, and monitor my intake in a healthy way without being too reactive. And in this case it actually was overall a success, and I likely really needed the extra calories with all the extra activity, or my body at least anticipated that I needed it. And, it's OK for a day or two to even eat for the comfort of it, and know that is what is happening, and appreciate it as such.

He also reminded me it's not "black and white", that these situations can be learning tools and to be OK even when I feel like I made a mistake, for example stress eating - and that my body can handle it, and I can correct it and it doesn't have to result in a year long weight gain cycle. And it may not even have been a "mistake", could have been very good.

Sigh.... OK that was a long post but nice for me to write it out. Thank you all so much for your support, even though I didn't have time to read or write much it helped me knowing what you said and that I could write if I needed to.

By the way all the stuff is in my new house now, and about 3/4 put away, so I'm plugging along.

Liana it was really nice to see the pictures of you and your family, thank you for sharing.
Good luck and a good week to everyone - Mimi, Jenny, Andrea, Stanski.... best wishes in all of your life changes and circumstances.

Last edited by Grateful4Health; 04-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #250  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi everybody!

Thanks for the well wishes for my surgery. It's scheduled for next Wednesday. I'm a bit stressed about it but that's only natural. I let my stress get the better of me and ate some pita bread/hummus yesterday and saw a 1.5 .lb increase on the scale this morning. I had 1/2 a pita and maybe 1/4 c. of hummus. Wow! It's hard to believe that little bit of deviation can cause that much water retention. I'm getting tired of Alt. P2. I keep sneaking in some peanut butter or an avocado. So I'm not doing it 100%. I really miss my P3 breakfast. I find I am eating 1/2 my 3 o'clock snack at 10 am because I'm hungry. But only the rest of this week to go and I'll be back at P3 on Saturday no matter what my weight is. I'm done. This reboot has been interesting. I seem to not be able to get any lower than 139. That's ok. I just want to stay there. It will take a couple of weeks to even out again after the surgery so it's just going to be more data that I can use going forward.

Last edited by catlady1981; 04-28-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Amber, thank you for writing about your experience and conversation with your PT, it really resonated with me.

Andrea, seems like stress is going around. Sending you peaceful thoughts as you get ready for your surgery.

Jenny, keep on moving forward and the popcorn pound will come off soon. Great reflection on the breakfast challenge- feed thy self first.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #252  

Morning everyone

Andrea my thoughts are with you, you sound like you are actually doing great. I wish you the best over this week with the stress that may be there, and I hope the surgery goes very well. At least your body is in very good shape, you are in a great position.

My work is changing a little, I will have less computer time than the last few months, so likely will only get to be here every few days, but will check more if I can. I am grateful though these last two months to have more time here, as it was definitely the time that I needed it. Not going anywhere but just checking in a little less often. I learn so much from you all and am very grateful.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Hi all - I'm just catching up also. I had a wedding and long car rides to get there but overall I did well on the trip. I had an actual fun day and did not gain weight which was encouraging. I did a P1 day the next day. I have been up/down 3 pounds and am actually up but that happened before the fun day. I am not finding that I feel like I can eat anything I want. More that I think I am going to be in a sort of "diet mode" for the rest of my life but I can add in reasonable "cheats" (carbs, sugar!). I can tell you that I ordered a lobster roll and salad and planned just to eat the insides of the sandwich. But, I tried the bread and oh my goodness my first fun day was born. It was so worth it! Dinner that night at the wedding was actually on plan but I had cake and that was excellent also.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 AM   #254  

Great to hear from you Shasta -
sounds like we are on a similar track and discovering similar things - would love to see your posts from time to time whenever you can.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #255  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hello Everyone, Just checking in. Work has been crazy busy.

I've been maintaining now since the end of January, and am slowly adjusting.

I had a lot of testing done, and my glucose, insulin and cholesterol numbers are now super healthy. My ND is enthusiastic for me and said--the numbers don't lie, that is why I recommend IP!

My thyroid meds are still in flux, and have been adjusted twice in the last month due to still having multiple symptoms that include unexplained weight gain. I'm trying to be patient and generous towards myself while all this gets worked out. Not always the easiest thing......

Ultimately, I may need to get my BMR tested, since I've been eating an appropriate amount for what my calculated bmr plus sedentary lifestyle warrant. Has anyone had their bmr tested and recommend a process for that?

Also, I post my food daily on mfp and can be found there as murrcat67 if you are interested in sharing food ideas.

Happy Spring !!
Closed Thread