Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #496  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

YankeeFan -

The challenge with trying to create a list of recipes for alternative packets would still be similar to what you are already experiencing. Unless you have the exact brand the recipe was written for, your results are going to vary.

If you look at enough of the recipes, you will find that they are all pretty similar. Start with a serving of some form of protein powder (Quest powder, IP pancake/any other brand of pancake, IP pudding/any other brand of pudding, IP potato puree). Add 1 egg or 2 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, some oil if you feel it needs it, and enough veggies/water/milk to get to the consistency you need (stiffer for cookies, runnier for pancakes or waffles). This can then be cooked in a pan for pancakes, in a pan with egg rings for english muffins, in a muffin tin for muffins, in a waffle iron, on a baking sheet or whoopee pie pan for cookies, etc.

It takes a bit of experimentation to create something you really love, but as with the base packets themselves, not everyone is going to like the same thing so you really are experimenting every time you try a new recipe anyway.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #497  
Kevin Reboot FEB2015

S/C/G: 203/160 Restart: 209/206/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoofan View Post
YankeeFan -

...Start with a serving of some form of protein powder (Quest powder, IP pancake/any other brand of pancake, IP pudding/any other brand of pudding, IP potato puree). Add 1 egg or 2 egg whites, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, some oil if you feel it needs it, and enough veggies/water/milk to get to the consistency you need (stiffer for cookies, runnier for pancakes or waffles). This can then be cooked in a pan for pancakes, in a pan with egg rings for english muffins, in a muffin tin for muffins, in a waffle iron, on a baking sheet or whoopee pie pan for cookies, etc...
Thanks! This bit of info really helps. It gives me a good starting point to try and come up with things.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #498  

S/C/G: 328.4/221.0/150

Height: 5'4"

If you try something and the texture isn't what you want, you can fix that by adding some oil or increasing/decreasing the baking soda or the amount of liquid.

If it is the flavor, then try a different brand. I use the HealthSmart Golden Pancakes from Nashua for english muffins. For some reason I decided to try the ProtiDiet ones once. I flavor difference was significant and I went right back to the HealthSmart ones. The same recipe worked for both though (1 egg, 1/4 t salt, 3/8 t baking powder, enough milk to get the right consistency). I use the same formula for waffles with the Weight Loss Systems cheesecake pudding, but with a bit of water added to make a more pourable batter. I've made it with IP vanilla pudding mix just to use it up. The texture was the same but the vanilla was boring compared the cheesecake ones. Trial and error will get you to a happy place.

FYI - I hated the cauliflower bread sticks too. They weren't bread-like at all in my opinion. It may just be one of those recipes that not everyone has a taste for. But I absolutely love cauliflower tortillas.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #499  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Truenutrition.com you can make custom blend protein powders and buy in bulk packages and save bunch of money. Theoretically you can get the exact macro nutrient profile as ip. They also have a custom oatmeal mixer I have to look at that also. BTW whey hydrosolate can stimulate insulin. Something to watch for with alternative products.

I getting to point I want to dump the s soy and gluten so I am likely moving this direction soon.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-25-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #500  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
Truenutrition.com you can make custom blend protein powders and buy in bulk packages and save bunch of money. Theoretically you can get the exact macro nutrient profile as ip. They also have a custom oatmeal mixer I have to look at that also. BTW whey hydrosolate can stimulate insulin. Something to watch for with alternative products.

I getting to point I want to dump the s soy and gluten so I am likely moving this direction soon.
this might be a dumb question, but why is soy bad??
Old 02-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #501  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The powdered peanut butter on the other hand....
It isn't enough protein to be a "packet" so then it would be an extra.
Extras should be 0 carb/0 sugar/0 fat.
So, save that one for P3-4
I went to the health food store and got PB2 regular and mixed 1 tsp in packet to change flavor profile. I have been legume free for a long time. Got a inflammatory response. Think that's a no go for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #502  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
this might be a dumb question, but why is soy bad??
I assume it's because of the phytoestrogen, probably more disruptive to babies and men than to women. It's actually recommended for some postmenopausal women as a sort of pseudo-HRT. Here's a link to a research paper on the subject.

Personally I'd like to get away from soy as well, but I was scouring the shelves at our local épicerie and apparently EVERY other alternative milk is sweetened with cane sugar! So unsweetened soy it is. (Side note, they seem to have wheat milk here... 30g carbs per serving. Yeah, no. lol)
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #503  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeFan14040 View Post
Right now, my only alternatives are a few tubs of protein powders and with my limited cooking and baking experience, I am finding it difficult coming up with different ideas. I have tried to substitute IP Packets in recipes on my own with alternative products, but it was absolutely horrible (cauliflower bread sticks). This is what led me to seek out only on plan recipes that do not use the IP Packets to help combat the boredom in meal planning and prep.

I wasn't sure if others that are using alternatives to the IP Packets, but staying On Plan, such as myself would find it helpful to have those recipes all in one thread or to add to.

Just a thought...
Do you use the Quest powders and bars? Don't forget their Cookbook, and there are lots of recipes on Youtube. Type quest protein powder recipes in the search bar at the top of the youtube page and you'll get a whopping long list using each of the different flavours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoofan View Post
If you try something and the texture isn't what you want, you can fix that by adding some oil or increasing/decreasing the baking soda or the amount of liquid.

If it is the flavor, then try a different brand. I use the HealthSmart Golden Pancakes from Nashua for english muffins. For some reason I decided to try the ProtiDiet ones once. I flavor difference was significant and I went right back to the HealthSmart ones. The same recipe worked for both though (1 egg, 1/4 t salt, 3/8 t baking powder, enough milk to get the right consistency). I use the same formula for waffles with the Weight Loss Systems cheesecake pudding, but with a bit of water added to make a more pourable batter. I've made it with IP vanilla pudding mix just to use it up. The texture was the same but the vanilla was boring compared the cheesecake ones. Trial and error will get you to a happy place.

FYI - I hated the cauliflower bread sticks too. They weren't bread-like at all in my opinion. It may just be one of those recipes that not everyone has a taste for. But I absolutely love cauliflower tortillas.
The HealthSmart choc chip pancakes are actually nice as muffins and cookies, too. I really like their pancake packets, and found them tastier than IPs.

Quote:
I went to the health food store and got PB2 regular and mixed 1 tsp in packet to change flavor profile. I have been legume free for a long time. Got a inflammatory response. Think that's a no go for me.
Ack, sorry to hear that. Have you tried the Quest PB powder or does that also trigger issues?

Thanks for the heads up about the whey hydrolysates. Don't think anything we use has it, but it's useful information for phasing out.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #504  

Here an article on soy.Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer...b_1822466.html
if you buy into GMO that is #1 almost all soy consumed is gmo. I am unconvinced on gmo scare so far. The ant gmo studies all have big flaws and ethical application. Several last year were recalled after their original publishing. They want to find a gmo is poison link so bad they twist data.
Anti nutrients is my reason and inflammation markers.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #505  

Quote:
Here an article on soy.Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer...b_1822466.html
if you buy into GMO that is #1 almost all soy consumed is gmo. I am unconvinced on gmo scare so far. The ant gmo studies all have big flaws and ethical application. Several last year were recalled after their original publishing. They want to find a gmo is poison link so bad they twist data.
Anti nutrients is my reason and inflammation markers.
I think my biggest GMO concern is that we don't know long-term.
And the studies on the glyphosate, which is why the GMO crops have been developed.
I read an article approx 15-20 years ago about a farmer walking onto his field and realizing there were no birds or bugs (good or bad) anymore. And the soil just crumbled. He wanted his farm (soil, air, water) to be alive again.

As I learn more about the gut biome, I'm also learning about the soil biome. There is so much we don't know and so I've become all about "the more natural, the better".

Just as overuse of antibiotics is creating super bugs, over use of glyphosate seems to be creating super-weeds. That, coupled with the diminishing seed varieties as the chemical companies are buying up the seed companies.

Variety is the spice of life!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #506  

gmo as it relates to the body is what I refer.
whether gmo or not those foods (corn, wheat, soy primarily) cause a anti nutrient pro inflammatory response in the body unless fermented.

The farming practices I am against monoculture farming. colony collapse in bees is pretty conclusive to nicotinic pesticides. Glyphosphate some research studies are sketchy when reviewed by non bias sources.

Check out Savory Institute, Cows save the world, Carbon cowboys and anything from polyface farms joe salatin.
One of Robb Wolf big pushes right now is to demonstrate sustainability practices through the whole food cycle.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-26-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #507  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

Im looking for an alternative to IP chocolate pudding. I like the Protidiet Vanilla pudding but reading reviews on the chocolate aren't all that favorable. Suggestions?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #508  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

The Quest chocolate milkshake protein powder makes a great pudding consistency if put in a blender with the appropriate amount of water.

We make it into icecream with half water and half almond milk and it is rich and creamy. It makes wonderful shakes with some ice and just the water, too.

You can also bake with it - chocolate muffins anyone?

Worth it on so many fronts.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:35 AM   #509  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

I just ordered some so will have to try it, thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #510  

We've gone over 500 posts.
Link to new thread here
Closed Thread