Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #301  

S/C/G: 186.2/181.6/160

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks for all the info you ladies share! I am still getting used to theses thread, but hope to be around for the long haul!
Wine4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #302  

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'3"

Morning 90%ers! Had to share.... was searching for a way to use the IP rotini, as it is completely tasteless IMHO, and last night came up with what may be my new favorite IP meal(or at least in my top 3).

My husband bought the Applegate Naturals turkey bacon... after making the rotini, he sauteed minced garlic, shrooms, spinach, tomatoes and the turkey bacon, along with a ton of spices...mixed with the pasta, it is so yummy, and feels like eating something at a restaurant. It's 8:50am and i'm now salivating at my computer over it! That turkey bacon is my new munchie snack... 1 slice is only 35 cal, and cures my cravings (im a bacon fanatic). I know that technically we're not supposed to be mixing the protein with the IP meals (that's what my coach told me) but it helps me get the pasta down.

Anyway, hope all of you are having a great week so far, IP or otherwise
jodi73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #303  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2012 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm Dee and this is my first post since lurking for a year. I echo the sentiment of finally feeling comfortable enough to post. I have restarted and I am on week 2.5 of IP Alternatives and down almost 14lbs. I have not followed 100% but am happy with my weight loss. No judging, no preaching, no .......I don't know, bad vibes of superiority/smugness even. I'm happy to join you in your journey.
Well stated! Just out of curiosity, what alternatives are you using? I have the EAS RTDs that I bought at Wal-Mart and ProtiThin products I ordered from Nashau. I don't care for most bars, so I haven't really searched the stores for a good one. But I LOVE a EAS/Coffee/Spinach smoothie every morning!
Justdoinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #304  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

I weigh myself every Wednesday morning, and here I am, at the same weight I have been for 3 weeks.

I guess the 100%-ers are right, if you don't follow the plan, don't expect results! My coach meeting and WI is in 8 days, going to be 100% until then, even if I feel bad, and see what the results are.

I am still terrified of following 100%, losing my hair, making some big stupid mistake cause I cant think, and 800-900 calories a day just seems unhealthy.

Being fat sucks, losing weight sucks. Pick your battle.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #305  

Kcandponies- what week are you in now? I definitely remember a plateau (and I was strictly a 100%er) around weeks 3-5 or so, then another one later on.... I do remember reading on here that we do plateau every few weeks to allow the body time to catch up to what's going on. I have zero good advice about the hair thing- i've been taking biotin the entire time and I still have lost an enormous amount of hair...enough that i'm considering a wig. But i'd rather buy a wig than go back to where I was weight-wise
Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #306  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

I just finished week 6, but for the past week, only one day was I 100% on plan. Actually Saturday I completely fell off the wagon. I was shocked I have not gone up any from that day. It's also TOM, and I usually carry about 2 extra pounds this week from that.

There is a possibility that I will recover from my cheat day and when TOM is over, I will see -4 gone. Hoping!
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #307  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post
I just finished week 6, but for the past week, only one day was I 100% on plan. Actually Saturday I completely fell off the wagon. I was shocked I have not gone up any from that day. It's also TOM, and I usually carry about 2 extra pounds this week from that.

There is a possibility that I will recover from my cheat day and when TOM is over, I will see -4 gone. Hoping!
Hang in there, kcandponies! That scale and I fight many weeks when days and days and days will go by when I see no movement and sometimes even increases where there should be none.

I wish it were a logical and regular drop because then the immediate association between eating OP and a drop in weight would be so reassuring. We are not so lucky and so we work to learn patience and acceptance.

In regards to some of the side effects you mention I can only speak to the fact that they do not seem to have come about for me (so far). No hair loss, no mental confusion (meaning more than usual?), whatever.

Even if I did, I think I would feel that I could cope with that as a fair trade for the weight loss and accompanying knowledge of increasing good health, lighter step, smaller clothes, and just plain waking up loving my day ahead instead of having a nasty feeling in my mouth and a shame in myself for having screwed up again.

Just imagine how you will feel that day some time soon when you make it to Onderland. Think of all the clothes that you can wear as you start your day out proud and tall and happy. That is nothing to fear!
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #308  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post

There's nothing magical about 100%. You do not have to be 100% to see results. Saying that implies that 100% will yield results, but 99.99% wouldn't. That's just not true for most people.

What matters is how close you need to get to 100% and what kind and type of deviations you are having. Even if you are a 100%er six days a week, just one day "completely off the wagon" can undo the benefit of the other six days.

No matter what diet you follow, if you can't be perfect, you still have to be close enough to see results. How close is close enough? Only experience can tell you.

In my case 6 days at 98% and 1 day "completely off the wagon" AND Tom, I would be surprised NOT to see a 5-8 lb gain.

The laws of thermodynamics still remain, you have to burn more calories than you take in.

The biggest downfall of being anything less than 100%, (whether by choice or by lack of willpower) is that you always have to be aware and take responsibility for your deviation. It isn't deviating that will prevent weight loss, it's the type and amount of deviation.

Some deviations are going to have a lot more impact than others, so when you're not a 100%er you have to monitor your deviations and be aware of their impacts. You have to be able to expect unpredictable results.

You can't compare even one day completely off plan with having a bit of cheese in place of some of your protein or including an aspartame-sweetened diet soda.

The thing to be aware of with less than 100% is that you can't expect proportional results. You might experience no difference in weight loss at all, if all your deviations are very low or no calorie (like using aspartame, or eating extra select vegetables).

The biggest challenge with actively choosing less than 100% is the trial and error it takes to learn how close is close enough.

If you're prone to unintentional slips (or plummets) off the wagon, you may do best with aiming for 100% or as close as you can manage every day that you possibly can.

If you don't have any trouble sticking to your plan, exactly as you lay it out for yourself, then you MIGHT be able to choose your percentage, but only trial and error can tell you how close you need to be, and if it yields acceptable results.

If you are prone to slips, you need to be able and willing to learn as much as you can about the circumstances and effects of the slips, so that you can compensate for them.

Just as an example, I am so hungry during pms/tom, and find it so difficult to stay remotely on plan that hubby calls me werewolf and we call the hunger "rabid hunger." Just to maintain my weight, I have to be perfect for 23 days to compensate for the havoc wrought by the 6-8 days of rabid hunger.

Most of my life, if I wasn't perfectly on a strict plan for the entire 23 days, I would have a gain that month. Nearly every bit of my excess weight can be attributed to hormonal hunger.

I'm still struggling with that, which is why it's taken me years to get off the weight I have so far. I would literally consider being voluntarily locked-up for those days (too bad there isn't a pmdd halfway house).

I'm starting to lose focus and ramble. Sorry about that.

What I'm trying to say in the most encouraging way possible is that you don't have to be perfect to see results, but you probably have to be pretty close, or at least somewhere within the ballpark. Only trial and error can tell you how close you need to be. It might be 80% or it might be 99.99%
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #309  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Some very good points here, and again, for me, I will not have any cheats that will take me out of ketosis - that's my big driver. I cheat with 1 ounce of cheese per day (hard cheddar), maybe a diet coke once a month, maybe a bit of teriyaki sauce if I eat out (and I mean a TBS or two at most), but that's about it. I do check my keto levels twice a week and am always showing about mid-range and last week I had a 4 pound loss even having the little bit of teriyaki sauce and the cheese.

When I had the stir fry I just had chicken, vegies and a bit of sauce - no rice or noodles obviously. Oh and sometimes I'll eat a couple of carrot slices if they are in the salad or stir fry I'm having, I don't pick them out, but it's not like a cup of carrots or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
There's nothing magical about 100%. You do not have to be 100% to see results. Saying that implies that 100% will yield results, but 99.99% wouldn't. That's just not true for most people.

What matters is how close you need to get to 100% and what kind and type of deviations you are having. Even if you are a 100%er six days a week, just one day "completely off the wagon" can undo the benefit of the other six days.

No matter what diet you follow, if you can't be perfect, you still have to be close enough to see results. How close is close enough? Only experience can tell you.

In my case 6 days at 98% and 1 day "completely off the wagon" AND Tom, I would be surprised NOT to see a 5-8 lb gain.

The laws of thermodynamics still remain, you have to burn more calories than you take in.

The biggest downfall of being anything less than 100%, (whether by choice or by lack of willpower) is that you always have to be aware and take responsibility for your deviation. It isn't deviating that will prevent weight loss, it's the type and amount of deviation.

Some deviations are going to have a lot more impact than others, so when you're not a 100%er you have to monitor your deviations and be aware of their impacts. You have to be able to expect unpredictable results.

You can't compare even one day completely off plan with having a bit of cheese in place of some of your protein or including an aspartame-sweetened diet soda.

The thing to be aware of with less than 100% is that you can't expect proportional results. You might experience no difference in weight loss at all, if all your deviations are very low or no calorie (like using aspartame, or eating extra select vegetables).

The biggest challenge with actively choosing less than 100% is the trial and error it takes to learn how close is close enough.

If you're prone to unintentional slips (or plummets) off the wagon, you may do best with aiming for 100% or as close as you can manage every day that you possibly can.

If you don't have any trouble sticking to your plan, exactly as you lay it out for yourself, then you MIGHT be able to choose your percentage, but only trial and error can tell you how close you need to be, and if it yields acceptable results.

If you are prone to slips, you need to be able and willing to learn as much as you can about the circumstances and effects of the slips, so that you can compensate for them.

Just as an example, I am so hungry during pms/tom, and find it so difficult to stay remotely on plan that hubby calls me werewolf and we call the hunger "rabid hunger." Just to maintain my weight, I have to be perfect for 23 days to compensate for the havoc wrought by the 6-8 days of rabid hunger.

Most of my life, if I wasn't perfectly on a strict plan for the entire 23 days, I would have a gain that month. Nearly every bit of my excess weight can be attributed to hormonal hunger.

I'm still struggling with that, which is why it's taken me years to get off the weight I have so far. I would literally consider being voluntarily locked-up for those days (too bad there isn't a pmdd halfway house).

I'm starting to lose focus and ramble. Sorry about that.

What I'm trying to say in the most encouraging way possible is that you don't have to be perfect to see results, but you probably have to be pretty close, or at least somewhere within the ballpark. Only trial and error can tell you how close you need to be. It might be 80% or it might be 99.99%

Last edited by slow2lose; 10-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #310  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

The biggest downfall of being anything less than 100%, (whether by choice or by lack of willpower) is that you always have to be aware and take responsibility for your deviation. It isn't deviating that will prevent weight loss, it's the type and amount of

Thank you! It bring my hackles up when the 100%er say if you aren't 100% you aren't doing IP or you shouldn't say you're on IP. Hey guess what I'm buy IP products therefore I'm doing the IP diet. I just choose to have that 1oz of cheese instead of skim milk today!

We all have to find what works for us. I eat tomatoes 3 or 4 times a weeke and I'm still seeing a loss. Sometimes I have tomatoes and green beans in hate same day! Still loosing!

Anyway not to rehash old drama but I just had to get that out.

nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #311  

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarington45 View Post
Hi There, interesting what you wrote, I have been researching ketosis, atkins, diets like IP lately and yes they all work its what works for the person, what you feel good on, can stick with.. that is the secret I guess What i am trying now.. its all trial and error I suppose when tweaking different plans.. I am using MFP (My Fitness Pal) and am going to try not to go over 1200 calories a day, keep my carbs low.. not super low, between 20 - 50, depending on the day.. so bascically IP but a bit more carbs and calories.. so we will see how it works for me.. I have no idea if it will .. I hope so
I have been using MFP for a few days too and I modified my goals to be closer to IP goals as well. I am trying to keep net carbs under 40g so I added fiber instead of sodium to my things to watch. I also adjusted my cals to 1000
Breanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #312  

S/C/G: 199.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Jodi73-

You are beautiful, great pic!

For those that get hypoglycemic, has you tried the alternate protocol on IP. It lets you add a fruit, 1/2 serving of daily and 1 serving of bread a day. It is meant for people who cannot tolerate the super low carbs of the regular protocol. I think there is the protocol sheet in the stickies
I can do anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #313  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Great stuff on here today. I too am very careful with any deviations, a bit of carefully measured cheese, turkey bacon included in my protein count, etc. I have found that my losses are better when I increase my calories to around the 1000 mark rather than the 750-900 that others have reported. I track EVERYTHING on MFP and also don't do any deviation that will kick me out of ketosis. I saw someone post about why anyone would deviate from the plan when getting into ketosis is so rough...they obviously didn't realize that just because something isn't on the sheet doesn't mean it will put you out of ketosis.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #314  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasmurf View Post
Thank you! It bring my hackles up when the 100%er say if you aren't 100% you aren't doing IP or you shouldn't say you're on IP. Hey guess what I'm buy IP products therefore I'm doing the IP diet. I just choose to have that 1oz of cheese instead of skim milk today!

We all have to find what works for us. I eat tomatoes 3 or 4 times a weeke and I'm still seeing a loss. Sometimes I have tomatoes and green beans in hate same day! Still loosing!

Anyway not to rehash old drama but I just had to get that out.

Haha. This sounds like the rant I had a while back.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #315  

I_can_do_anything: thanks so much

I also track every bite I put in my mouth on MFP. When you guys say keep net carbs below 40, is that the number of carbs after subtracting fiber? I usually try to keep my total carbs under 40....really as close to 30 as possible, but days (like today) where I'm ravenous and have a Quest bar as my snack, there's just no way to do that, since they all have around 25 total carbs. So when I tracked all of my food that I have planned today, the carbs say 41, but net would technically be 41-22 fiber? I get worried using net, since I figure carbs are carbs and if we're trying to deplete our carb stores, the total is more important (I could be totally off base, though).

Last edited by jodi73; 10-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.