3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Thursday, Jan 20, 2011 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/223019-ip-daily-chat-thursday-jan-20-2011-a.html)

Spiffsgal 01-20-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutieEli (Post 3665311)
WOUHOU!!!!!! Isn't IP awesome??? I am sure you won't gain it back if you stay on protocol! :) You will do great and also welcome!! :)

That's great!!!!! Welcome to the forum! There are awesome people here and you will find if you haven't already GREAT support from everyone :) it's fantastic!!

I also have great coaches at my center which helps, but this site has proven itself over and over again to be my #1 source of information. Reading about everyone's victories keeps me motivated on a daily basis:cheer3:

DinobowerRN 01-20-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbf410 (Post 3665457)
I've found that if I double or 1.5 the amount of water I should and add a bit of WF choc syrup and ice it makes a great smoothy! I didn't really like the pudding either.

I'm going to have to try that. Thanks!

I am going to try that!! I do like the butterscotch pudding but the chocolate didn't even taste remotely like chocolate!! Thanks for sharing!!

Spiffsgal 01-20-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceman11 (Post 3665149)
Back from WI #2 - lost 8.2# this week for a total of 17.8 in the 11 days I have been on IP. Lost 2.5" from my chest, 2" from my waist and 1" from my hips. It was a great WI. Around 16% body fat lost. This is working quickly and I feel I can keep doing this.

I wish you all well in your IP journey. I have a ways to go, but it has been great so far.

Thanks for the support in this forum!

EXCEPTIONAL!! WAY TO GO:carrot:

dollarnme 01-20-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambydawn84 (Post 3665376)
I started IP Jan 5. Since then I have lost 10 lbs!!! Yesterday I had a big set back, MAJOR cheating. Thank goodness today is a new day, and I am back on plan 100%. I have found so much good info and motivation looking through this forum! I know that if so many of you can get amazing results so can I! Hope all you IPers have a wonderful 100% on plan day!

I did the exact same thing! but back on track today! We can do this!!!

dollarnme 01-20-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCWilkie (Post 3664499)
W2 last night...Down another 6lbs! thats 12.6 in 2 weeks! I love this program!

My coach game me the detox prgram last night to start today. Has anyone done the Novi Cleanse. I'm worried about how my body will react to the "cleanse" as I'm not having any problem right now "cleansing". I do understand that it's more about the Detox of my system, I just wanted to hear what other might have experienced from it.
Thanks
Jamie

What is the Novi Cleanse??

CheekyWit 01-20-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbf410 (Post 3665369)
So I've never been a fan of fish, I hate the fishy taste. A friend of mine had some last night and since it was cooked in an IP friendly way I tried a bit. OMG, it doesn't taste fishy and I really liked it! I know I'm going to check the recipe thread, but do any of you make tilapia in a way that is really good? I think I'm going to try some tonight.

Also, last night for my meat I had shrimp. Holy cow 7oz of shrimp is A LOT!

I have a tip that might work for you - when I would visit the markets to buy fish for the restaurant I would ALWAYS make the fish mongers let me smell the fish - raw fish should have a oceany smell - perhaps a bit sweet -- if the fish is fishy fishy fishy there is NO AMOUNT of spicing and seasoning that can cover that up. You can also tell how fishy the fish is when you cook it - if the fish is fresh and good I rarely have to turn on my stove vent (unless I am making blackened fish and then it has to do with heat and smoke and not smell) -- some good fish to try (if they are fresh) are Talapia, Haddock, Sea Bass, Sole, Arctic Char (a bit like Salmon only sweeter), lemon sole, mahi-mahi (which if cooked correctly tastes a bit like steak)

I think it also matters where the fish come from - for instance farm raised catfish has a very different taste (sweet and mild) then pond/river catfish - same with trout - I have had fantastic stream caught trout and absolutely terrible almost muddy tasting trout (again depends on what they eat) - as for Salmon same thing (king, coho and sockeye and occasionally Scottish are the only ones I buy) salmon is a meater and therefor stronger flavored fish -- This year has not been my favorite year for cod so I tend not to buy it

Preparation for fish is key (DO NOT OVER COOK)- currently I am poaching fish in things like a lime, cilantro, mild chili base - or I am pan searing using Vindaloo (indian spices) or Tandori seasoning - last night I poached mahi mahi in a porcini/morrel mushroom stock-- another AWESOME and easy fish dish is to lightly pan sear fish - when finished remove from the pan - add some lemon juice and capers to the pan to deglaze - a little salt and pepper and pour over your fish topped with some flat leaf parsley - quick, easy and light (but not on taste) -- if the fish, meat or poultry are quality and good - you will need very little seasoning to turn out a fantastic satisfying dish.

CheekyWit 01-20-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondar (Post 3664497)
Good morning all,

Question of the day
: Is anyone else getting sick of hearing how unhealthy this and it is bad for us to eat protein and lose weight?

My coworkers are driving me nuts! constantly asking what i'm eating, or poking fun of what i'm not eating etc. of course when i tell them the rate at which i am losing they go into orbit!

The way i see it is this- i am eating more nutrition now than i was. 4 cups veggies a day, greens, lean proteins, vitamins and water. sure, maybe less calories, but overall way more nutrition. it's got to be good for your body compared to the pastries, chips and big macs, we all know that, right?

anyone care to chime in on this one?

have a great day all!

I tell my co-workers and friends I am on a protocol to reset my pancreas (which is true - of course I want to lose weight but I am more interested in whether or not this in fact does reset my pancreas-- one of my tests will be to see if I get gestational diabetes again with my next pregnancy- lack of weight and pancreas reset my prevent this --fingers crossed) and in order to do it I have to be on a very regimented and very strict diet -- most of the time (unless I am talking to the doctors and scientist I work with) that ends the conversation. I skip the whole diet/weight loss discussion all together because it seems to me some people don't really want you to succeed with weight loss but those same people are super supportive if it has to do with something like a pancreas:)

Aunt Sheshie 01-20-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dollarnme (Post 3665147)
Good for you! that is such an awesome feeling!!:carrot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJackson (Post 3665150)
Never give up!!!! You are doing great!!!!

:cheer3::cheer3::cheer2::cheer2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by showgirlaz (Post 3665301)
NICE!!! That is what I found. All of a sudden areas that wouldn't budge DID!

Thanks y'all!!!.. it really does feel good to be back in the saddle again... already, I'm feeling some changes... all last summer, I was cold all the time, but from about Thanksgiving 'til now, I haven't been feeling that... today, I'm suddenly freezing again, which I'm going to take as a good sign that things are on the move again... also, even though I haven't drunk any more water today than I usually do, I've spent lots more time in the bathroom... not sure what to make of that, but I'm gonna think of it as a good thing too... maybe all signs of getting into ketosis again???..

hugs :hug:

Hollmark 01-20-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALM (Post 3665233)
Luckily, I'm on maternity leave so I don't have to deal with the comments this time but I did the program before my pregnancy and heard it all the time... But it would usually shut people up when I would simply say "Being overweight is unhealthy". Usually after that there was no debate lol.. :dizzy:

I've decided to keep my diet to myself and my family...I haven't told anyone at work because the people I work with tend to be negative about the whole low carb thing, too. It is so strange, two of my best friends are overweight and don't seem to think they have a problem..they seem to enjoy harassing me about my diet choices and how we only live once and they will eat whatever they want.:mad: I know we only live once, I want to be healthy and thin, not overweight and unhappy!!!
This chickie isn't going to be unhappy because of weight issues anymore!!

Medicmom734 01-20-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithaa (Post 3665421)
Spent hours reading through threads and great stories from so many of you. What inspiration there is here!!

I've left a message for my coach on this and not finding any specifics from forum searches. My calves are aching today. I'm going to stock up on broccoli to help but has anyone added an extra potassium -- either IP or other brand to help with leg cramps? I'd go dive into a banana but.....

WI #2 tomorrow and I'm hoping for good news.

I get leg cramps if I forget my magnesium. I know at work, people who suffer from severe leg cramps are often prescribed magnesium, however they are often caused by not enough salt, water etc. See what works for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheekyWit (Post 3665627)
I have a tip that might work for you - when I would visit the markets to buy fish for the restaurant I would ALWAYS make the fish mongers let me smell the fish - raw fish should have a oceany smell - perhaps a bit sweet -- if the fish is fishy fishy fishy there is NO AMOUNT of spicing and seasoning that can cover that up. You can also tell how fishy the fish is when you cook it - if the fish is fresh and good I rarely have to turn on my stove vent (unless I am making blackened fish and then it has to do with heat and smoke and not smell) -- some good fish to try (if they are fresh) are Talapia, Haddock, Sea Bass, Sole, Arctic Char (a bit like Salmon only sweeter), lemon sole, mahi-mahi (which if cooked correctly tastes a bit like steak)

I think it also matters where the fish come from - for instance farm raised catfish has a very different taste (sweet and mild) then pond/river catfish - same with trout - I have had fantastic stream caught trout and absolutely terrible almost muddy tasting trout (again depends on what they eat) - as for Salmon same thing (king, coho and sockeye and occasionally Scottish are the only ones I buy) salmon is a meater and therefor stronger flavored fish -- This year has not been my favorite year for cod so I tend not to buy it

Preparation for fish is key (DO NOT OVER COOK)- currently I am poaching fish in things like a lime, cilantro, mild chili base - or I am pan searing using Vindaloo (indian spices) or Tandori seasoning - last night I poached mahi mahi in a porcini/morrel mushroom stock-- another AWESOME and easy fish dish is to lightly pan sear fish - when finished remove from the pan - add some lemon juice and capers to the pan to deglaze - a little salt and pepper and pour over your fish topped with some flat leaf parsley - quick, easy and light (but not on taste) -- if the fish, meat or poultry are quality and good - you will need very little seasoning to turn out a fantastic satisfying dish.

Wonderful cooking advice! Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollmark (Post 3665740)
I've decided to keep my diet to myself and my family...I haven't told anyone at work because the people I work with tend to be negative about the whole low carb thing, too. It is so strange, two of my best friends are overweight and don't seem to think they have a problem..they seem to enjoy harassing me about my diet choices and how we only live once and they will eat whatever they want.:mad: I know we only live once, I want to be healthy and thin, not overweight and unhappy!!!
This chickie isn't going to be unhappy because of weight issues anymore!!

I didn't tell people for a long time at first, only because I was a basher before that. LOL!

PepperGal 01-20-2011 06:31 PM

I still battle almost constant hunger! Lately I have been eating a 4th packet and drinking water all the time. For the first four weeks I had almost no hunger, but since that time (seven additional weeks), I have been hungry much of the time. I follow protocol strictly, don't drink caffeine of any kind or use artificial sweeteners (except for occasional use of WF dressing), and don't exercise. Please let me know if anyone else is having this same issue. I hope to stick with Phase 1 through the end of January at a minimum, but it is getting tougher by the day....

willbethin2011 01-20-2011 06:49 PM

I started this journey back in early September with what seemed to me to be an almost impossible amount of weight to lose. Well fast forward 4 months and I am realizing that I can do this. I love the program, I love cooking ( I was a fast food junkie before), I love the way I feel, I love that I no longer have high blood pressure, and most importantly I love all of you who take the time to share your weight loss journey and knowledge. I have lost 83 lbs. and 47 inches and I will be thin in 2011!!!!

kbkwright 01-20-2011 07:05 PM

My husband and I live two hours away from our families and we are going back to visit tomorrow for the first time since I started IP. I am hoping I have the will power to stick to it!

I think I can do it because this morning I had a meeting and my FAVORITE breakfast pizza was there and I chose my crispy cereal instead!!:D

longdivision 01-20-2011 07:11 PM

just back from WI 2 and i'm down another 5.6 lbs. i love this diet. 2.5 inches off my waist in 13 days! i wish i had found this program sooner. can't wait till WI 3!!

showgirlaz 01-20-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaciMiner (Post 3665287)
Hello all! I have been on IP for 6 weeks and have lost over 24 lbs! Love this diet. Although I am not new to this site as I read postings daily, I am new to post. Hope everyone is having a great day:carrot:

:welcome3: Congratulations on the 24 pounds lost!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickmouse (Post 3665295)
Just got back from my 1st weigh in and had to share. I lost 6LBS!!! I've NEVER lost 6lbs in 1 week in my entire 41 years....usually it's 1-2lbs. Super excited to see what next week WI will be - if I don't gain it all back - I'm SOLD!

THAT IS AWESOME!! You must have been so excited driving away from there! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbf410 (Post 3665369)
So I've never been a fan of fish, I hate the fishy taste. A friend of mine had some last night and since it was cooked in an IP friendly way I tried a bit. OMG, it doesn't taste fishy and I really liked it! I know I'm going to check the recipe thread, but do any of you make tilapia in a way that is really good? I think I'm going to try some tonight.

Also, last night for my meat I had shrimp. Holy cow 7oz of shrimp is A LOT!

Sounds like you found a method for tonight. I tend to do mine seared with asian spices and a light dressing with a seasoned soy based sauce. I have also breaded the fish with a little egg white or water (egg white is best) and crushed soy puffs. I then only use a 4-5 oz portion of fish because of the extra protein in the soy puffs. Then baked it til a bit crisp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambydawn84 (Post 3665376)
I started IP Jan 5. Since then I have lost 10 lbs!!! Yesterday I had a big set back, MAJOR cheating. Thank goodness today is a new day, and I am back on plan 100%. I have found so much good info and motivation looking through this forum! I know that if so many of you can get amazing results so can I! Hope all you IPers have a wonderful 100% on plan day!

Glad to know you reigned yourself back in! You sound like you are moving forward just fine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9trainer (Post 3665391)
I am feeling great! I was able to fit into a size down jean today. I bought them a month ago when they were on sale and today, I get to wear them! Yay! Just had to share my little victory. =)

WOO HOOO!!! An NSV. I must say, clothing NSVs are my favorite of all victories!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinobowerRN (Post 3665412)
That is sooo awesome!!! My first WI is next Tuesday, so I am still on day 3. I am so excite to see what my weight is. I don't have a scale at home and my clothes don't feel any different, so I hope I have lost. So far so good. I did have the chocolate pudding this morning and "YUCK" I couldn't eat it. Ofh hopefully my coach will let me trade it. Right now eating a salad with my 2 cups of veggies and a mango peach IP. Yummy!!

I am sure you will see a difference.

I didn't like the pudding much either until my 2nd or 3rd month. Until then I dressed it up! I added a few drops of mint extract and splenda to the water, shook well then added the pudding, mixed again, let it get cold and enjoyed. It was like and after eight or andes mint treat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber2beme (Post 3665414)

SOOOOO i have a few questions. is there a difference in carbs from cooked or uncooked spinach? my veggie carb chart talks about raw only so i didn't know if that was just a measurement thing or what. ..

carla you had said something about carbs being in garlic powder? i didn't realize this! i swear i put garlic powder and onion powder on EVERYTHING now!!! bummer

NOW regarding the cellulite thing. I am wondering if you guys have really noticed a reduction or complete disappearance of it just from doing the diet? ... would love to hear experience or insight on this one.
THANKS!!!!

spinach is zero carbs raw and roughly 6g per cup cooked. The difference is spinach cooks down so much and a cup cooked is not much. Also, the same quantity raw is just a few carbs like 1.5 or 1.7g depending on the source. The problem is people see the small amount of cooked spinach and over eat.

YEP, garlic powder is something that has carbs per tsp. It is like the sweeteners, it will sneak up on you!

IGNORE ATkins guidelines. We are not Atkins and Atkins only uses those levels for a few weeks during induction. There are some great principles but, it is a totally different diet.

The cellulite issue! Yes, the diet will help a huge amount. Work in the jello and blueberry pom drink, I used them a few times a week and I think they do help some. The low fat alone and all the cleansing vegetables with that create the biggest impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithaa (Post 3665421)
Spent hours reading through threads and great stories from so many of you. What inspiration there is here!!

I've left a message for my coach on this and not finding any specifics from forum searches. My calves are aching today. I'm going to stock up on broccoli to help but has anyone added an extra potassium -- either IP or other brand to help with leg cramps? I'd go dive into a banana but.....

WI #2 tomorrow and I'm hoping for good news.

It is possibly a lack of sodium, low magnesium, need for more calcium and not just a potassium issue. Are you getting in all of your supplements? When are you taking calcium?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachbella (Post 3665435)
Hi everyone:
Reached out to my coach to do my WI today and I am down another 2 lbs which is a total of 16 lbs in almost 3 weeks (Monday will be 3wks). I have to say I am so proud of myself and I am enjoying these little moments of success.

... Does anyone out there have a soup a day and have no issues? When I brought this question up to my Coach he said continue to do so because the amount of water that is being consumed each day is actually flushing out the salt. What do you guys think? I just do not want to be messing with my weight loss. Oh and I should add since I am doing the salt laden soups daily I omitted the 1/2 tsp of daily intake of sea salt.

Any thoughts?

The diet is balanced enough to handle the sodium of the soup. I wouldn't cut back on your sea salt. Congrats on the weight loss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheekyWit (Post 3665627)
I have a tip that might work for you ....

You sound like a fantastic cook!! I look forward to seeing your recipes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepperGal (Post 3665805)
I still battle almost constant hunger! Lately I have been eating a 4th packet and drinking water all the time. For the first four weeks I had almost no hunger, but since that time (seven additional weeks), I have been hungry much of the time. I follow protocol strictly, don't drink caffeine of any kind or use artificial sweeteners (except for occasional use of WF dressing), and don't exercise. Please let me know if anyone else is having this same issue. I hope to stick with Phase 1 through the end of January at a minimum, but it is getting tougher by the day....

I also became very hungry but, after week 6. Definitely add the extra packet, small lean protein portion, or start adding a restricted food into your day. You do not want you body to think it is in starvation or to start burning muscle. I didn't do that and I created a serious slow down, burned muscle, ultimately, after 5 weeks, I started moving again but, not before side effects and when I started up I had much lower losses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbethin2011 (Post 3665837)
I started this journey back in early September with what seemed to me to be an almost impossible amount of weight to lose. Well fast forward 4 months and I am realizing that I can do this. I love the program, I love cooking ( I was a fast food junkie before), I love the way I feel, I love that I no longer have high blood pressure, and most importantly I love all of you who take the time to share your weight loss journey and knowledge. I have lost 83 lbs. and 47 inches and I will be thin in 2011!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! yes!! You will! :)