Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #436  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeysend View Post
Well still haven't started Phase 3 yet!!! Today I am fasting for blood tests tomorrow morning, so...maybe Tuesday will be the day. Just can't seem to convince myself that things will be good moving on. I also have been doing to good with my IBS, only taking 1 Imodium a day instead of the 10 to 12 that I was taking before IP....know it must be some food that triggers it...so I am kind of hesitant to start adding in food...for now I am taking things one day at a time seeing how I feel.
I haven't posted in several days (weeks?), but I haven't stopped reading!! Journeysend, I have read that you and your coach decided it was time for you to transition off of Phase 1, so you are currently on Phase 2 and having a hard time taking the leap onto Phase 3. I have never been diagnosed with IBS nor any food allergies, but my tummy has had some issues as I have introduced dairy and grains back into my food plan over the past 10 days. As you probably know, both of these food groups are supposed to be introduced into the Big Breakfasts in Phase 3. I started having loose stools a few days into P3, but I didn't put things together until this past weekend, that I had introduced these new foods and something was not agreeing with me.

My working plan is I have stopped eating all milk products and to keep my grains gluten-free. I was having a serving of greek yogurt, oatmeal, grapefruit and canadian bacon, or I would have 1% milk with Kashi GoLean cereal, grapefruit and bacon. I just today found out that oatmeal, which is supposed to be typically gluten-free, is likely not gluten-free unless the container specifies it is. With the current farming practices, about 50% of all oatmeal has been contaminated with gluten by neighboring fields of wheat or barley. I learned this today from my doc, who is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist and who's wife has celiac disease. Bob's Red Mill is supposed to have a gluten-free oatmeal.

Since you have a history of IBS, I would recommend you introduce dairy and gluten-containing foods slowly and in isolation (at first, just one of them to see how you do, then the other, so you can figure out if one or the other gives you trouble.) You have been very successful on IP so far and so you know it takes planning. Take the time to figure out a few Phase 3 breakfast menus that will work for you. My phase 3 sheet says almond milk & soy milk are "dairy" options and I'll get some gluten-free oatmeal. I'm going to go with this for a few days, then bring in other foods, changing just one at a time. You really can manage this!!

Best of luck on your bloodwork tomorrow! Let us know if your doc is happy with your results.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #437  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieann77 View Post
Hello - I am fairly new to IP, I have been on IP for 10 weeks and I'm down 33lbs (YEAH). I just had a question about moving onto the next phase? My coach says I should stay on phase one till I'm 5lbs UNDER goal?? Then move to phase 2 for a bit then phase 3 etc. I have been reading this forum for a while and I think she is wrong? I only have about another 15lbs before I'm at goal (just over 10%) shouldn't I start the transition soon? I thought I read somewhere on here that you go to phase 2 when you have 10% left? Thanks for the advice, Leanne
Every coach has slightly different advice on this. Apparently it is common to regain 3-5lbs on phase 4 while your body gets used to carbs again so that is probably where he/she is getting the 5 under from. However, you do continue to lose while on phases 2&3. Most coaches advise you to get to 90-100% of goal. Be where you feel comfortable - some people go to 95% then re-adjust their goal.

Congrats on the weight loss - you've done great!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #438  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonder cat View Post
I haven't posted in several days (weeks?), but I haven't stopped reading!! Journeysend, I have read that you and your coach decided it was time for you to transition off of Phase 1, so you are currently on Phase 2 and having a hard time taking the leap onto Phase 3. I have never been diagnosed with IBS nor any food allergies, but my tummy has had some issues as I have introduced dairy and grains back into my food plan over the past 10 days. As you probably know, both of these food groups are supposed to be introduced into the Big Breakfasts in Phase 3. I started having loose stools a few days into P3, but I didn't put things together until this past weekend, that I had introduced these new foods and something was not agreeing with me.

My working plan is I have stopped eating all milk products and to keep my grains gluten-free. I was having a serving of greek yogurt, oatmeal, grapefruit and canadian bacon, or I would have 1% milk with Kashi GoLean cereal, grapefruit and bacon. I just today found out that oatmeal, which is supposed to be typically gluten-free, is likely not gluten-free unless the container specifies it is. With the current farming practices, about 50% of all oatmeal has been contaminated with gluten by neighboring fields of wheat or barley. I learned this today from my doc, who is a Certified Clinical Nutritionist and who's wife has celiac disease. Bob's Red Mill is supposed to have a gluten-free oatmeal.

Since you have a history of IBS, I would recommend you introduce dairy and gluten-containing foods slowly and in isolation (at first, just one of them to see how you do, then the other, so you can figure out if one or the other gives you trouble.) You have been very successful on IP so far and so you know it takes planning. Take the time to figure out a few Phase 3 breakfast menus that will work for you. My phase 3 sheet says almond milk & soy milk are "dairy" options and I'll get some gluten-free oatmeal. I'm going to go with this for a few days, then bring in other foods, changing just one at a time. You really can manage this!!

Best of luck on your bloodwork tomorrow! Let us know if your doc is happy with your results.
Thank you so much for your response!! That is exactly what I was worried about, when I start introducing THOSE foods back in...I know now that something was the trigger for my IBS, but now it is to figure out what.
So...I have decided to stay on Phase 2 for a couple of more weeks, we are traveling to our Son's for Christmas (a 5 hour drive) and from there are heading out to our winter home in AZ ( a 3 1/2 day drive), so don't want any unpleasant surprises during that time. Once we are settled in, I will slowly start adding foods in....I have already inquired about some gluten free foods, and also have been reading about quinoa and smelt (2 ancient grains that are gluten free). So this next Phase will certainly be a learning experience for me!!

I am really wondering what my blood test results will be, my cholesterol has always been good, but wondering if it improved!!!

Thanks again and will keep you posted when I get going in Phase 3 and do some experimenting!!!!

Last edited by Journeysend; 12-14-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #439  

S/C/G: 188/153/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbswainer View Post
Thanks for all of your postings girls!!!!! I am on phase 4 and scared just like everybody else. I am in week 4 or so after returning from vaca and doing a few days in phase 1. I haven't gained any weight back but I can't seem to eat or want to eat many carbs with dinner. I do the smaller version of the big breakfast in the mornings then pretty much stick to phase 1 protocol the rest of the day. I have a glass of wine in the evenings once a week and have had a cracker and cheese with a glass of wine a couple of times. I thought I really missed the wine, but not so much. Last night we went out to dinner and I had some dessert, I don't know why. It tasted good, I only ate half of it. I was awake most of the night with like a sugar buzz. I don't feel crappy today which surprises me. I will do phase 1 today. I am also terrified that if I get started eating the yummies I will not be able to stop. I have been put in many situations with lots of temptations and do great, I just don't taste anything. I LOVE the way I feel and LOVE the way I look. I am exercising trying to get rid of the skin issues in my arms, legs, stomach are. Lol very ugly. I have discovered a wonderful new company, with fantastic products that are fixing my face as it went from round and chubby with no wrinkles to um slouchy with wrinkles and I think crevices. If you want to know what it is private message, I will fill you in. People can't believe the difference in my face since I started using it. So I know I can do this phase 4 but as all of you I am afraid because I have lost weight and gained it back many times. I haven't been this thin though for 28 years. I too am keeping my scale where I get on it every morning and if I go up 3 pounds I am back on phase 1 till it's gone. We are going on a cruise Jan 12 and I am excited to be thin on it but scared of the food. I will work out everyday plus make good choices. I can do it and so can all of you!!! Keep posting in this thread and we will encourage each other!!!!!
Wow, you are doing great and have such a great attitude! I just noticed that we started the same time and have similar stats! I am also going on a cruise in January (30th) and am excited to look better than last year! I start phase 2 tomorrow (about 4 pounds early) and I'm scared about that. I'm excited just to be moving closer to being finished but I know I still want to lose more. I just want to be in phase 4 by cruise time! Did you continue losing in phase 2 and 3? Have a great time on your cruise. Please post after your cruise and let me know how you did and any tips you might have! There are so many healthy food options on-board that we should be able to do just fine!

Wonder Cat and Journeysend
Please keep posting about how you are doing with re-introducing the foods back in slowly. I've been thinking about doing this when I get to phase 3 ( in 2 weeks). I used to have frequent migraines but since being on IP I have only had 1. I definitely don't want those back! Those big breakfasts scare me! I would love to hear some of your menus!

Thanks everyone for your posts on this thread, I always look forward to reading the 'Life After Phase 1 Thread'! You guys are a great inspiration!
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #440  

S/C/G: 233.5/214/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCrewzer View Post

Wonder Cat and Journeysend
Please keep posting about how you are doing with re-introducing the foods back in slowly. I've been thinking about doing this when I get to phase 3 ( in 2 weeks). I used to have frequent migraines but since being on IP I have only had 1. I definitely don't want those back! Those big breakfasts scare me! I would love to hear some of your menus!

Thanks everyone for your posts on this thread, I always look forward to reading the 'Life After Phase 1 Thread'! You guys are a great inspiration!
My daughter used to get migraines almost every day and they went away when she went on IP !!! She has been on Phase 4 for a couple of months and they haven't came back so far, but she is being pretty careful. She found out that eating even a tiny piece of chocolate give her heartburn!!! Good thing she isn't a chocoholic!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #441  

Just checking in with you all. The names and faces change as more of you move through the phases. Don't be scared of moving along. You learn to manage the maintenance as you learned the earlier phases. I have been on phase 4 for about 1.5 months. It has been a little more temptation with all the holiday parties etc. I go up a couple pounds and then down again. I have also set a 3# limit. When I have gained 3# I do at least a breakfast and lunch on phase 1. So far at most I have done that a couple days.

I don't get too carried away with dinner either most days. More like phase 2-3 dinner most days. I am careful with my carbs. I have regained weight loss so many times in the past. That is not going to be my fate this time. I can get 2-3# off right away by going to phase 1 a few meals so that it doesn't become a huge gain.

I also have a journal that I have been putting down my thoughts as I went along. It helps me to go back and see how I felt and how much better I feel and look now. It always startles me to see a picture when I was so much heavier. How could I not have seen that then? It helps keep me motivated to work the plan.

Have a great holiday everyone. Remember Christmas is only one day.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #442  

S/C/G: 160/IP 155/146/118

Height: 5'2"

Default I can't believe it!

I just finished my 2nd week on Phase 4 and gained 4 pounds! What really disturbs me is that I binged twice this week! I could not believe that the urge to binge was still as strong as it was before I started IP.
After 16 weeks of IP and losing 37 pounds without cheating once, I still have an urge to binge and am having trouble with the unstructure of Phase 4. I will return to what I know works, i.e., Phase 1 and begin Phasing in again. It is so crazy that I am reverting to this aberrant behavior especially since I love my new weight and feel good when I am IPing. Pretty sick, huh? :? :
Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #443  

Janedocmom- I too have had my times when I have eaten much too much of mainly sweet carb things. The more you eat, the more you want. Just like old times. I think that for me I am always going to have the urge to eat too many carbs. But, I can get it under control and then if I gain, go back on phase 1 for a few meals to get the weight off.

Even if you love your new weight and size and all the nice compliments and healthy feelings that go with the lower weight, you can have times when you get off track. It is the chemistry of the makeup of the food. Too much sweet, fat carb leads me to loss of control. It really is that simple.

The difference this time, is that when that happens -- I know what to do to get back on track. And not wait to gain control until I have another mountain to climb.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #444  

Janedocmom- I too have had my times when I have eaten much too much of mainly sweet carb things. The more you eat, the more you want. Just like old times. I think that for me I am always going to have the urge to eat too many carbs. But, I can get it under control and then if I gain, go back on phase 1 for a few meals to get the weight off.

Even if you love your new weight and size and all the nice compliments and healthy feelings that go with the lower weight, you can have times when you get off track. It is the chemistry of the makeup of the food. Too much sweet, fat carb leads me to loss of control. It really is that simple.

The difference this time, is that when that happens -- I know what to do to get back on track. And not wait to gain control until I have another mountain to climb.

Thanks Yinyang!
You helped me get a grip, again. I stayed on Phase 1 yesterday and feel so much better. Unfortunately, it was quite a binge so I need to be on Phase 1 for a few more days. I also started back at the gym.....I hadn't been in 5 days. It is incredible how IP helps me refocus & get back on track rather than slipping into the abyss as I have done too many times before. Also, visiting this forum helped me to get on track.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #445  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedocmom View Post
I have a few questions for you, Katie. How long have you been on Phase 4? Have you gained any weight? Do you find it easy to get back on Phase 1 to maintain it. What are you struggling with and how our you resolving these issues? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but inquiring minds want to know.
Sorry for the delayed response again. I'm trying to get back to the forum more often!

I've been on Phase 4 since the beginning of October. I have gained about 7 pounds (but I'm not ready to update my ticker! ). I originally gained 3, which I assume was the expected glycogen gain. The other 4 I assume are due to not drinking enough water and not following the program closely enough. I am ok about getting back on Phase 1 for a day after a bigger cheat. I do find it is difficult for me to get back onto Phase 1 to get rid of these few pounds though, but I'm not entirely sure why. I think part of me doesn't want to be that restricted again (even though it wasn't an issue for me the first time around) and part of me is afraid of losing more hair! My experience with hair loss was that I didn't lose any until Phase 4, and it has not stopped coming out in handfulls yet. It is, however, starting to slow down.

My plan is to drink more water, start exercising, and follow the protocol more closely again. If that doesn't work, I'll get some Nioxin and get back on Phase 1 for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinyang View Post
Very helpful words of wisdom - thanks for sharing this!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #446  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Bump.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #447  

Default I am just not getting it!!!!!!!OO

Oh, God, what the heck is my problem??????

I am having such a hard time with Phase 4. Either I am on an eating rampage or I am on Phase 1. I cannot find a happy medium. Yesterday I did it, again, to myself. I was actually 118 which is the lowest I have ever been, and when I weighed myself this morning I was 124! I couldn't stop eating last night.

It is so crazy and stupid what I am doing to myself. I feel better on IP, but I can't seem to find that happy medium when I am eating moderately and doing maintenance the way I should. I know that yo-yoing from bingeing to Phase 1 cannot be good for my body, but that is what I am doing.

Can anybody talk me off the food cliff and help me before I totally sabotage myself? I've read the Life After Phase 1 threads (1 & 2) and cannot find the "right" plan for me. Am I the only one who is doing this? Has anyone else done this and find a solution that works? I'm thinking of going back to WW (since I am a lifetime member) and trying to go through the maintenance program since I never ever did that before).

Why am I doing this?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #448  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

janedocmom, I am no expert and I am struggling a bit, too. I'm not sure I feel as desperate as your post sounds, but I also miss the structure of Phases 1-3. But, we can do this!!!!

I started maintenance last Thursday and made my favorite cookies for a cookie exchange on Sunday. Making my favorite was a mistake - I should have made something I didn't like! I did the math on the recipe and they were 95 calories apiece, with 6 fat grams and 10 carb grams each. I ate 6 of them - felt a little out of control . But I decided to have a real cheat day and then yesterday did a Phase 1 day (lots of water, an IP rtd for breakfast, another rtd with my veggies-and-salad at lunch, an IP snack and then 2-eggs-plus-veggies omelet, with a couple of cups of herbal tea throughout the evening). My weight change as of this morning is insignificant, but there was some damage to my confidence (can I make this change last forever?). Well, yes, I can with the help from others who have gone before me on the IP train.

I read both the 'original' and this 'life after Phase 1' threads over the past month and realized I need to copy-and-paste some of the practical ideas into a word document. I have attached it below. I attempted to give credit to the original poster (I realize I may not have noted which of the two threads, 1st or 2nd, I was on, so if the post count doesn't match, you can check out the other thread.)

These are the hints and menus that are going to help me as I travel over the holidays to my in-laws. I printed it and am taking it with me (sadly, won't have internet until Dec 31). I am still staying away from dairy for the time being (so far for me, gluten isn't causing any major intestinal issues).

So I say to you, do not give up! Maybe someone else who knows the details of WW and the WW maintenance plan can advise you, but I am going to follow this and also re-read Dr. Tran's chapters on maintenance. This is my next step - to figure out the long-term strategy.

Public acknowledgment to Bev, Novak, Mary, Stacey, jessicacourez, Christina and Rocky Monarch. Your legacy lives on!
Attached Files
File Type: doc phase 3 & 4 menus and helps from 3fatchicks.doc (49.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #449  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedocmom View Post
I am having such a hard time with Phase 4. Either I am on an eating rampage or I am on Phase 1. I cannot find a happy medium. Yesterday I did it, again, to myself. I was actually 118 which is the lowest I have ever been, and when I weighed myself this morning I was 124! I couldn't stop eating last night.
Why am I doing this?
Hey, sorry I did not see this before the holiday, I hope you did not beat yourself up too much and stress out. Don't worry about the 118 to 124...there is no way you have gained that in fat in a day or even a week...not physically possible.

You have done a great job getting here, and you are right that it won't be good to yo-yo between phase 1 and phase 4 every other day, so it may be you need some mental "closure" to get yourself fully bought into phase 4. It is a lot less structure, kind of like tightrope walking. But there IS a safety line: the phase 4 protocol. (and phase 1 is the net below!).

ok, deep breath......exhale.....another one.....exhale

First off, remind yourself that phase 4 is not a license to eat whatever you want. If you do, you will eventually end up where you started. So, you need to think of phase 4 as having a specific structure just as the first 3 phases did. And if you use the structure you will feel in control again.

OK, read those last few sentences again, because you need to take control and believing that is how you will get there.

Next: I would suggest you sit down with the phase 4 protocol sheet (it's posted in the sticky) and read it over a few times. As you read it, think about how it can translate into your food choices each day. And then plan and shop as you did in your earlier phases. It is all about planning and being prepared--you learned that back in Phase 1 and you still need a plan to be in maintenance. Don't toss out all the rules just when they are working for you!

Third: are you still seeing your coach and keeping a food journal? Call your coach and arrange to come in once a week for the next few weeks. I did that for the first month of Phase 4 and she was fine with it. I actually still go by once in awhile to pick up a box of bars or soy puffs and check in, it keeps me on track. And it may be that keeping a food journal in phase 4 for a month or so will help you become more conscious of your choices and how to remain in control. And having some IP products in the cupboard is great if you feel a crazy urge coming on...much better to eat a bar, or even 2 than to go off on a full fledged tear and make yourself feel bad. There is a reason you learned all these "tricks" when you were on the earlier phases-- you can keep using them for the rest of your life.

Lastly, (and let me apologize in advance if this is too forward) I wonder if you could talk to a counselor about your feelings? We are all here to support you all we can, but it could be that there are some mental imaging exercises or other activities that would help your mind catch up with (and be happy with) the success you have achieved. I have heard a lot of people on this board talk about self-image issues (and have them myself!). If you are sabotaging yourself, it sounds like it could be related to self-image issues (either not believing in your success, or that you didn't earn it/don't deserve it?). If your regular insurance does not cover it, your employer may have an EAP (employee assistance program) that includes some limited number of counseling sessions in a year.

But in any case, you CAN do this. It's hard because it is new. But phase 1 was hard once too, and you got the knack of that. But it takes practice just like it did to get into phase 1. So don't give up and don't feel like you are failing. You just need to pick up and try it again. And each time it will get a little easier and a little smoother.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #450  

Hey, sorry I did not see this before the holiday, I hope you did not beat yourself up too much and stress out. Don't worry about the 118 to 124...there is no way you have gained that in fat in a day or even a week...not physically possible.

You have done a great job getting here, and you are right that it won't be good to yo-yo between phase 1 and phase 4 every other day, so it may be you need some mental "closure" to get yourself fully bought into phase 4. It is a lot less structure, kind of like tightrope walking. But there IS a safety line: the phase 4 protocol. (and phase 1 is the net below!).

ok, deep breath......exhale.....another one.....exhale

First off, remind yourself that phase 4 is not a license to eat whatever you want. If you do, you will eventually end up where you started. So, you need to think of phase 4 as having a specific structure just as the first 3 phases did. And if you use the structure you will feel in control again.

OK, read those last few sentences again, because you need to take control and believing that is how you will get there.

Next: I would suggest you sit down with the phase 4 protocol sheet (it's posted in the sticky) and read it over a few times. As you read it, think about how it can translate into your food choices each day. And then plan and shop as you did in your earlier phases. It is all about planning and being prepared--you learned that back in Phase 1 and you still need a plan to be in maintenance. Don't toss out all the rules just when they are working for you!

Third: are you still seeing your coach and keeping a food journal? Call your coach and arrange to come in once a week for the next few weeks. I did that for the first month of Phase 4 and she was fine with it. I actually still go by once in awhile to pick up a box of bars or soy puffs and check in, it keeps me on track. And it may be that keeping a food journal in phase 4 for a month or so will help you become more conscious of your choices and how to remain in control. And having some IP products in the cupboard is great if you feel a crazy urge coming on...much better to eat a bar, or even 2 than to go off on a full fledged tear and make yourself feel bad. There is a reason you learned all these "tricks" when you were on the earlier phases-- you can keep using them for the rest of your life.

Lastly, (and let me apologize in advance if this is too forward) I wonder if you could talk to a counselor about your feelings? We are all here to support you all we can, but it could be that there are some mental imaging exercises or other activities that would help your mind catch up with (and be happy with) the success you have achieved. I have heard a lot of people on this board talk about self-image issues (and have them myself!). If you are sabotaging yourself, it sounds like it could be related to self-image issues (either not believing in your success, or that you didn't earn it/don't deserve it?). If your regular insurance does not cover it, your employer may have an EAP (employee assistance program) that includes some limited number of counseling sessions in a year.

But in any case, you CAN do this. It's hard because it is new. But phase 1 was hard once too, and you got the knack of that. But it takes practice just like it did to get into phase 1. So don't give up and don't feel like you are failing. You just need to pick up and try it again. And each time it will get a little easier and a little smoother.

Dear Rocy Monarch,

You are so very kind and supportive. I do agree with you that my issues are beyond IP fundamentals & that my difficulty does stem from self image/worthiness problems. Your objective input has really helped me understand why I am having such a diffuclt time staying on Phase 4.

For the holidays I spent 3 days in NYC going to shows and eating out for every meal and lost 2 pounds! I really didn't deprive myself of anything, but ate sensibly, in moderation & gobs of walking. The day after I got home I went into another binge & felt absolutely miserable, but not miserable enough to stop. I am back on Phase 1 and feel so much better, but I will follow up on your inciteful suggestions and see if I can create a better balance in my life.

I hope that you and your family/friends had a wonderful holiday season.

Here's to a happy, healthy and successful IPing year for everyone!
Closed Thread