Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #391  

It's my 35th birthday this Saturday. To celebrate 7 girlfriends and I have rented a chalet with a hot tub for the weekend and we're going to party! I've been looking forward to this "treat/cheat weekend" for quite a while. I've decided to fully enjoy myself and then, starting on Monday, go back to Phase 1 for a week. Since my 3 lb loss a few weeks back, I've gained a little bit each week for some reason. I don't believe that I'm doing anything different. Perhaps my body is just reacting to the colder weather...HA! Anyway, after this weekend I'm going to be VERY good so that I can cruise into Christmas (and all the parties, dinners, etc.) in good shape! Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
It's my 35th birthday this Saturday. To celebrate 7 girlfriends and I have rented a chalet with a hot tub for the weekend and we're going to party! I've been looking forward to this "treat/cheat weekend" for quite a while. I've decided to fully enjoy myself and then, starting on Monday, go back to Phase 1 for a week. Since my 3 lb loss a few weeks back, I've gained a little bit each week for some reason. I don't believe that I'm doing anything different. Perhaps my body is just reacting to the colder weather...HA! Anyway, after this weekend I'm going to be VERY good so that I can cruise into Christmas (and all the parties, dinners, etc.) in good shape! Have a great weekend everyone!
Christina, happy birthday, and that sounds like a great way to celebrate!!

So I have a couple of thoughts on this -- and questions for you all.

I've been on phase 4 for a few weeks now. I have felt like I went up and down appropriately for cheat/recovery cycle until this week, always going back to about 128 or 127, which I was happy with.

This week (TOM week, yes) but I'm up to 131 in the mornings. I'm a little crabby about it. One of my pairs of pants feels a little tighter, but everything else feels fine. My tummy looks a little less flat. I'm starting to think that maybe I just can't handle carbs now.

My question is, Christina, if you do phase 1 for a week, do you then go back to 2, 3, 4, or just 3, 4? or do you just go back to 4? Have you tried it before? I thought that going through the phases was important to keep the yo-yo from happening, but am reallying thinking a week of phase 1 would do me some good right now. I did a phase 1 day today, even though I didn't cheat, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited by JessicaCourez; 11-19-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #393  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
YAY!! enjoy! I did that for my bithday, cabin in the moutains on a stream with a hot tub, not my 35th haha. I found that I didn't want to eat too much or even drink too much wine and the weight I gained was gone in 3 days and a loss of 2 lbs from the week before!!
Have a weekend!!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #394  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCourez View Post
Christina, happy birthday, and that sounds like a great way to celebrate!!

So I have a couple of thoughts on this -- and questions for you all.

I've been on phase 4 for a few weeks now. I have felt like I went up and down appropriately for cheat/recovery cycle until this week, always going back to about 128 or 127, which I was happy with.

This week (TOM week, yes) but I'm up to 131 in the mornings. I'm a little crabby about it. One of my pairs of pants feels a little tighter, but everything else feels fine. My tummy looks a little less flat. I'm starting to think that maybe I just can't handle carbs now.

My question is, Christina, if you do phase 1 for a week, do you then go back to 2, 3, 4, or just 3, 4? or do you just go back to 4? Have you tried it before? I thought that going through the phases was important to keep the yo-yo from happening, but am reallying thinking a week of phase 1 would do me some good right now. I did a phase 1 day today, even though I didn't cheat, we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Thanks for the birthday wishes, Jessica! I had a fabulous time this weekend...ate and drank and enjoyed myself! Starting tomorrow I'll do one week of Phase 1 and then two weeks of Phase 3 to get rid of everything and get back on track. My coach suggested this, as well as Novak. (Even though she hasn't posted in a long time, I still review her posts quite frequently!)

I've worked hard over the past six months and I really needed to be able to let loose and not worry about every little thing I put in my mouth this weekend. Now it's back to the grindstone and getting into fighting shape...Christmas is only a little over a month away and I've got a ton of baking to do!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do, JC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
YAY!! enjoy! I did that for my bithday, cabin in the moutains on a stream with a hot tub, not my 35th haha. I found that I didn't want to eat too much or even drink too much wine and the weight I gained was gone in 3 days and a loss of 2 lbs from the week before!!
Have a weekend!!
Thanks ladyvrod! Had a blast this weekend. Can't say that I was as disciplined as you, but I'm going to get right back on the wagon tomorrow!!

Craziness! After 3 days back on Phase 1 to mitigate the damage I did this weekend, I was down 4.4 lbs at my weigh-in tonight!!!

Last edited by Sweetstina; 11-24-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #395  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

bump
Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #396  

S/C/G: 160/IP 155/146/118

Height: 5'2"

Hi,

I am a closet IPer and have been lurking around this forum since August 1st. I feel so guilty that I have never contributed to this forum, but have only "eaten" up all the great information available. On August 11 I started IP and am about to start Phase 4 next Thursday.

I lost 36 pounds and am in absolute shock with how quickly this program worked for me. I am 57 years old and am a professional dieter since I was a teenager. I have never felt better in my life and am at the lowest weight ever in my life. The last time I was at this weight was when I was 5 inches shorter and only breezed by this weight for a few meals.

I could go on forever about how wonderful this diet is, but my main concern is that I am absolutely terrified to go on to Phase 4. I am a compulsive over eater and have not binged in 15 weeks....the longest ever! Through each Phase my coach has dragged me kicking & screaming because I did not want to advance from the structure and comfort of the previous Phase. My motivation for starting this thread is to talk to those who are in maintenance and try to learn from their approaches to making this the "last diet ever"!.

What is the recidivism rate on this diet? Are all you Phase 4 IPers able to maintain your weight using the guidelines given? Are you following the guidelines established or are you eating according to your own program and when you gain weight going back on IP? What are the suggestions for preventing total relapse? Are there any Phase 4 IPers who are compulsive over eaters who want to share their experiences? Or are there any IPers who want to share if they have relapsed and what they think they could have done differently to maintain?

I am not sure how many of you are out there, but I would really like to establish a Phase 4 group who can help support each other to maintain a most amazing and impressive accomplishment. We can all lose weight and some even get to "goal", but it is the maintenance that is absolutely essential. I don't want to relapse as I have done on every diet in the past 45 years. As next Thursday draws near I am freaked beyond belief that I am going to be on my own to make the right choices in order to maintain. I would welcome any and all suggestions from any of you who can help me "gain" (poor choice of words) the confidence that I am finally in control of my food destiny.

P.S. I have read almost every sticky and thread regarding IP and am so grateful and appreciative of how helpful everyone has been especially Novak, BevS, Salesgod, Showgirlaz, Rockymonarch, Marionm, I'm svelting, JessicaCourez, Wannabe IP, Sweetstina, Makeitmatter, amylew, mbswainer, EatAnts, Midlife Meggie, sgorny, Pitakitten, Princass, kplus80, Golfergirl67, Choosie1, Yinyang, rocknrealtor. I apologize for anyone whom I left out, but thank you all because you really were essential in helping me get to goal!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #397  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by janedocmom View Post
Hi,

I am a closet IPer and have been lurking around this forum since August 1st. I feel so guilty that I have never contributed to this forum, but have only "eaten" up all the great information available. On August 11 I started IP and am about to start Phase 4 next Thursday.

I lost 36 pounds and am in absolute shock with how quickly this program worked for me. I am 57 years old and am a professional dieter since I was a teenager. I have never felt better in my life and am at the lowest weight ever in my life. The last time I was at this weight was when I was 5 inches shorter and only breezed by this weight for a few meals.

I could go on forever about how wonderful this diet is, but my main concern is that I am absolutely terrified to go on to Phase 4. I am a compulsive over eater and have not binged in 15 weeks....the longest ever! Through each Phase my coach has dragged me kicking & screaming because I did not want to advance from the structure and comfort of the previous Phase. My motivation for starting this thread is to talk to those who are in maintenance and try to learn from their approaches to making this the "last diet ever"!.

What is the recidivism rate on this diet? Are all you Phase 4 IPers able to maintain your weight using the guidelines given? Are you following the guidelines established or are you eating according to your own program and when you gain weight going back on IP? What are the suggestions for preventing total relapse? Are there any Phase 4 IPers who are compulsive over eaters who want to share their experiences? Or are there any IPers who want to share if they have relapsed and what they think they could have done differently to maintain?

I am not sure how many of you are out there, but I would really like to establish a Phase 4 group who can help support each other to maintain a most amazing and impressive accomplishment. We can all lose weight and some even get to "goal", but it is the maintenance that is absolutely essential. I don't want to relapse as I have done on every diet in the past 45 years. As next Thursday draws near I am freaked beyond belief that I am going to be on my own to make the right choices in order to maintain. I would welcome any and all suggestions from any of you who can help me "gain" (poor choice of words) the confidence that I am finally in control of my food destiny.

P.S. I have read almost every sticky and thread regarding IP and am so grateful and appreciative of how helpful everyone has been especially Novak, BevS, Salesgod, Showgirlaz, Rockymonarch, Marionm, I'm svelting, JessicaCourez, Wannabe IP, Sweetstina, Makeitmatter, amylew, mbswainer, EatAnts, Midlife Meggie, sgorny, Pitakitten, Princass, kplus80, Golfergirl67, Choosie1, Yinyang, rocknrealtor. I apologize for anyone whom I left out, but thank you all because you really were essential in helping me get to goal!

and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

It is so nice to have you here with us, lurking or not! You are doing so well. I am sure you will be able to keep it up.

I don't know the recidivism rate. I know that if you go back to eating the way you used to 7days a week, you will get back to where you were.

I am not on phase 4 actually on phase 1 again. I took a break for almost 5 months. IN that time I gained 7 pounds. As soon as I began the phase 1 it dropped off in 1 week. I assume it was how much glucose/glycogen my body holds. I say that because, I gained the weight but I didn't have to change sizes.

I am so glad you find us helpful to your journey and success. Like you, I know I have greatly benefited from everyone here.

I am not sure how many are on phase four and touching base here. I know you will see Rocky on the boards so, maybe you can get an answer from her. Novak became very busy with work and hasn't posted since early October. I hope she comes back soon. She is invaluable and irreplaceable when it comes to advise on this plan, especially at phase 4.

Jump in with us at the daily chat, post your questions there and maybe you will get some phase 4 advice from those on that side.

If you haven't read all of the posts in this thread, definitely do it! Novak posted a great summary of phase 4!
Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #398  
Getting it Done!

S/C/G: 177/138/140

Height: 5'-3"

Quote:
I could go on forever about how wonderful this diet is, but my main concern is that I am absolutely terrified to go on to Phase 4. I am a compulsive over eater and have not binged in 15 weeks....the longest ever! Through each Phase my coach has dragged me kicking & screaming because I did not want to advance from the structure and comfort of the previous Phase.
Congrats on getting so close to your goal! When I was about to head to Phase 3 and then Phase 4 I was extremely worried/nervous/scared. I'm not a compulsive eater, so I am sure you have additional stresses I can't fully appreciate.

First off: you are already solving the problem...you are planning ahead! And as your time on IP has certainly shown you, that is a very valuable skill! So don't sell yourself short, because the things you have learned and accomplished while in the first 3 phases are the exact same things that will make you successful in Phase 4.

I'll chime in with my thoughts here and I'm sure others can give you their perspectives (but go back and read this whole thread if you have not already!).

TOOL 1: Freedom from addiction
I went on Phase 4 in August. Strangely, I found I was not even interested in so many of the foods I used to eat. I tried sugar once and it made me feel awful. I have had pasta a few times, but I find that I eat about 1/3 of the meal and it's all I want. Same with potatoes, which used to be my favorite food in the whole world! So, one "tool" you have is listening to your own body. Now that you are free from the carb addiction, it won't be asking for those things. So, as long as you don't "force feed" (thinking, "dang it, I get to have a cheat day so I"m going to eat this whole hot fudge sundae even if it doesn't taste good") you will probably pretty naturally make better choices.

TOOL 2: Setting boundaries
I did not weigh myself the whole time I was on plan...I made my DH keep the scale in the basement. But the day I moved to phase 4, I put the scale in my bathroom. I step on it every morning after my shower and before I get dressed. I have set a 3 pound limit for myself. If I am up 3 pounds (or getting darn close!) I go on Phase 1 that day. It has happened a couple times that I have some specific dinner already in process or some other conflict, in which case I go on phase 1 for breakfast and lunch, eat a small dinner (not totally phase 1) and then go on phase 1 the next. What I don't do is let myself off the hook for that first day, thinking, "oh, I'll start tomorrow". Now or never.

TOOL 3: Education
You have the lists from Phase 1, be sure you keep them and read them once in awhile and remember why they worked. When I go shopping I still purposely buy 75% or more of my veggies from the "non-restricted" list. I don't buy anything that has sugar in it. I don't buy any white products (pasta, bread, rice, etc.). If it's not in the house, I can't eat it! When I want to have my "cheat day" I'll either go out to eat, or buy one thing for that one day (e.g. enough ingredients for one batch of pasta cream sauce).

TOOL 4: A plan
Phase 4 feels like it's crazy and limitless but in reality it is a very structured approach just like the other plans. In the end you will have to decide how much of the structure you want to adopt or adapt, but that was true in the first 3 phases also. You made good choices then, you can make good choices now. For some people it works as some barebones guidelines, for others it is still more comfortable to use the exact "formulae" for each meal. For me personally, it's somewhere in-between. I stick pretty close to the formula for breakfast and dinner because the meals that have carbs are more likely to be my downfall. So I need the regimen of portion control to keep me on track.

phew, sorry to go on so long! I know Novak had some great insights on a lot of this so I urge you again to read her ideas earlier in the tread. And there are some other great thoughts in here people have shared. What I can tell you for sure? Phase 4 works, just like the other 3 phases. But phase 4 is NOT a license to eat whatever you want, it is still a plan and you need to decide how you will integrate it into your life forever. And you can do that, because it is waaaaay easier than the other phases and you sailed through those like a champ!

Last edited by Rocky Monarch; 11-28-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #399  
Start date: August 19/10

S/C/G: 229/163/150

Height: 5'7"

I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you more experienced IPers. I have just moved to Phase 2 (not at goal but phasing off for a break during the holidays). I am finding that for the first time on this program I feel "deprived". No one seems to talk about phase 2, probably because it is so similar to phase 1 and only 2 weeks long, but I find myself resenting this phase and wanting to jump straight to phase 3. I resent having to eat a protien serving at lunch and I really resent losing an IP pack because at lunch that was usually a 'treat' whether it was a pudding for dessert or a restricted item.

Am I the only one or have others had difficulty with this? Help!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #400  

Quote:
and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

It is so nice to have you here with us, lurking or not! You are doing so well. I am sure you will be able to keep it up.

I don't know the recidivism rate. I know that if you go back to eating the way you used to 7days a week, you will get back to where you were.

I am not on phase 4 actually on phase 1 again. I took a break for almost 5 months. IN that time I gained 7 pounds. As soon as I began the phase 1 it dropped off in 1 week. I assume it was how much glucose/glycogen my body holds. I say that because, I gained the weight but I didn't have to change sizes.

I am so glad you find us helpful to your journey and success. Like you, I know I have greatly benefited from everyone here.

I am not sure how many are on phase four and touching base here. I know you will see Rocky on the boards so, maybe you can get an answer from her. Novak became very busy with work and hasn't posted since early October. I hope she comes back soon. She is invaluable and irreplaceable when it comes to advise on this plan, especially at phase 4.

Jump in with us at the daily chat, post your questions there and maybe you will get some phase 4 advice from those on that side.

If you haven't read all of the posts in this thread, definitely do it! Novak posted a great summary of phase 4!

Carla,
I really appreciated your sharing with me. I was wondering how you were managing things because I did remember reading that you had taken a little "break". It was comforting to read that you were able to get back into Phase 1 without difficulty since I had read some posts where people were having trouble getting back on track after they had food freedom.

I truly think that I have read almost every post in the sticky section as well as keeping up with the daily chat. Sometimes I think that I have substituted reading the Ideal Protein Forum for my food addiction. I really find these posts to be so helpful, but I especially have enjoyed all of your insight, encouragement and incredible depth of knowledge. Where else do you get your information to become so well informed?

Yes, I really miss Novak, BevS & Salesgod. They really have it together & were able to inspire and help me in so many ways. Come out, come out, where ever you are!

Thanks, again, Carla, for being such an anchor for me.
Jane
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #401  

Quote:
Congrats on getting so close to your goal! When I was about to head to Phase 3 and then Phase 4 I was extremely worried/nervous/scared. I'm not a compulsive eater, so I am sure you have additional stresses I can't fully appreciate.

First off: you are already solving the problem...you are planning ahead! And as your time on IP has certainly shown you, that is a very valuable skill! So don't sell yourself short, because the things you have learned and accomplished while in the first 3 phases are the exact same things that will make you successful in Phase 4.

I'll chime in with my thoughts here and I'm sure others can give you their perspectives (but go back and read this whole thread if you have not already!).

TOOL 1: Freedom from addiction
I went on Phase 4 in August. Strangely, I found I was not even interested in so many of the foods I used to eat. I tried sugar once and it made me feel awful. I have had pasta a few times, but I find that I eat about 1/3 of the meal and it's all I want. Same with potatoes, which used to be my favorite food in the whole world! So, one "tool" you have is listening to your own body. Now that you are free from the carb addiction, it won't be asking for those things. So, as long as you don't "force feed" (thinking, "dang it, I get to have a cheat day so I"m going to eat this whole hot fudge sundae even if it doesn't taste good") you will probably pretty naturally make better choices.

I did not weigh myself the whole time I was on plan...I made my DH keep the scale in the basement. But the day I moved to phase 4, I put the scale in my bathroom. I step on it every morning after my shower and before I get dressed. I have set a 3 pound limit for myself. If I am up 3 pounds (or getting darn close!) I go on Phase 1 that day. It has happened a couple times that I have some specific dinner already in process or some other conflict, in which case I go on phase 1 for breakfast and lunch, eat a small dinner (not totally phase 1) and then go on phase 1 the next. What I don't do is let myself off the hook for that first day, thinking, "oh, I'll start tomorrow". Now or never.

TOOL 3: Education
You have the lists from Phase 1, be sure you keep them and read them once in awhile and remember why they worked. When I go shopping I still purposely buy 75% or more of my veggies from the "non-restricted" list. I don't buy anything that has sugar in it. I don't buy any white products (pasta, bread, rice, etc.). If it's not in the house, I can't eat it! When I want to have my "cheat day" I'll either go out to eat, or buy one thing for that one day (e.g. enough ingredients for one batch of pasta cream sauce).

TOOL 4: A plan
Phase 4 feels like it's crazy and limitless but in reality it is a very structured approach just like the other plans. In the end you will have to decide how much of the structure you want to adopt or adapt, but that was true in the first 3 phases also. You made good choices then, you can make good choices now. For some people it works as some barebones guidelines, for others it is still more comfortable to use the exact "formulae" for each meal. For me personally, it's somewhere in-between. I stick pretty close to the formula for breakfast and dinner because the meals that have carbs are more likely to be my downfall. So I need the regimen of portion control to keep me on track.

phew, sorry to go on so long! I know Novak had some great insights on a lot of this so I urge you again to read her ideas earlier in the tread. And there are some other great thoughts in here people have shared. What I can tell you for sure? Phase 4 works, just like the other 3 phases. But phase 4 is NOT a license to eat whatever you want, it is still a plan and you need to decide how you will integrate it into your life forever. And you can do that, because it is waaaaay easier than the other phases and you sailed through those like a champ!
[/QUOTE]

Dear Rocky,
OMG!!!! What a phenomenal response! Thank you for taking the time and effort to really describe what it is like to go through Phase 4. After failing at so many diets, it is really incredulous to me that I have finally developed the tools that are essential for maintenance

I love that you outlined my tools. Who knew that I had developed them????
Listening to my body is something that I could never do, but I am doing it now. I actually can feel hunger and when I eat on plan, I can be satisfied. Prior to this, I felt like a bottomless pit and no amount of food could satisfy me.

Unfortunately with setting boundaries I am a tad obsessive and have weighed myself too many times during the day much to the chagrin of my coach who has tried to cure me of this habit. I do find knowing what I weigh and understanding the normal fluctuations has helped keep me centered despite having my coach tell me otherwise. In fact, I bought Novak's scale the Omron 54 and love it especially when it now tells me that I am 13 years younger than I am!

The education that this program has given me has been wonderful. Now I can understand why I was not losing weight on Weight Watchers because I was always eating the root & restricted vegetables. I admit to being a compulsive overeater, but in actuality I am more of a carb addict who was unable to control my intake.

I really liked it when you described Phase 4 as being as structured as I want it to be. It has been a bit difficult going out to eat and "enjoying" myself like I used to. I find that my eating partners feel that I am a bit of a Debbie Downer since I chose not to do All You Can Eat Sushi or go to a fancy schmancy restaurant because of my limitations. I keep assuring everyone that once I am in Phase 4 that I will not be as rigid, but I suppose if I want to maintain my current weight that it will never be the same as it was.

Thank you so much, Rocky, for caring, being supportive and helping me understand what my food future holds for me. It is so encouraging to see how much you have this weight management issue under control!
Jane
Old 11-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #402  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Carla,
I really appreciated your sharing with me. I was wondering how you were managing things because I did remember reading that you had taken a little "break". It was comforting to read that you were able to get back into Phase 1 without difficulty since I had read some posts where people were having trouble getting back on track after they had food freedom.

I truly think that I have read almost every post in the sticky section as well as keeping up with the daily chat. Sometimes I think that I have substituted reading the Ideal Protein Forum for my food addiction. I really find these posts to be so helpful, but I especially have enjoyed all of your insight, encouragement and incredible depth of knowledge. Where else do you get your information to become so well informed?

Yes, I really miss Novak, BevS & Salesgod. They really have it together & were able to inspire and help me in so many ways. Come out, come out, where ever you are!

Thanks, again, Carla, for being such an anchor for me.
Jane

I did ok with taking a break. It was necessary for me. I had set myself up some disappointment and I wasn't dealing well with the side effects I experienced on the diet. I was very happy to see how quickly my body responded and returned to a healthy/happy state. I also was DELIGHTED to find I don't like or want the things I used to eat. I could care less about bread, pasta, pizza,or desserts (the exception is ice cream and I have learned how to make a good IP version). I was also happy to see I could increase my daily carb intake A LOT and didn't gain weight until I started testing out the processed foods and flours. I can eat fruit, grains, and beans and it has virtually not impact for me. That made me comfortable with the idea that I would be able to get to the weight I want and stay there.

It wasn't as easy to get back to phase 1. For me, it was psychological. I really didn't feel well on Phase 1 for about 8 weeks and felt bad for 6 six and, MISERABLE for 3 weeks. I was severely cold ( I live in a very hot summer climate and was wearing sweaters at 90 and 95 degrees!) My blood pressure became very low. My circulation was bad; nail beds were white or purple. My gums receded from my teeth. My skin was very cracked and bleeding. My menstrual cycle was horrible. I lost A LOT of hair. I became very moody/emotional/angry. And, I felt nauseous, had headache, and had tinnitus. For me to go back on phase 1 meant being "ok" if it meant my body went back to or thru all of that. It took a bit for me to feel I was ready to do that again. It helped knowing I was going to feel good being on phase 3 and phase 4.

I had another issue. I couldn't see that I had lost any weight. I had lost 84 pounds and couldn't tell that I was different unless I stepped into old clothing or compared a series of pictures. That was a problem for me given I have a history of anorexic thinking and eating and, I have body dysmorphic disorder. I needed to be able to see and appreciate my success. Part of how and why I got here is I couldn't tell that I was trim/thin at 5'5 and 114 pounds. I thought I was fat. I can still look at photos of me then and see the "fat" I saw then. In the past few months since taking a break, I am happy to see who I am in the mirror. I pick the right size when I am shopping. I see and am amazed by the face that looks back in the mirror. I am glad I took the break because it gave my mind the chance to catch up to what I was doing. I needed that.

You ask where I get my information, I love to read and research. One of my hobbies is to read medical journals, look into nutrition and alternative medicine. I studied sciences because I felt I missed it while obtaining my business degree. I have wondered for YEARS why I couldn't lose weight. I saw numerous doctors, counselors, nutritionist, personal trainers, etc. On that path, I learned the bits and pieces that all clicked when I heard about Ideal Protein. I have kept delving into that information since starting the diet and have asked LOTS of questions of friends in the medical and nutition communities. I am sure that my information is one set of opinions in many cases and is not the only way that things can be. I find it interesting how well it supports what Dr Tran says or is supported by the tenants of the IP diet.

I have been MISSING them too!! I was wondering where WannabeIP has been the past 2 weeks. I am assuming that they are all off enjoying their well earned holiday time! There are so many that have been a part of this group that have touch me at one point or another and I am grateful for and dearly miss them when they aren't involved as much.

I am so glad I was able to assist you! That is so touching to read. I often think about and wonder about who else is a part of our thread through their regular reading. It is so nice to be able to meet you!

I wish you well as you move through phase 4 and, really look forward to hearing more from you and getting to know you.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #403  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

A couple of weeks ago, I started making a transition beyond Phase 2. I wouldn't totally say I'm in Phase 3 though because I have not introduced any grains to my diet. I have gluten and corn sensitivities and I'm just not sure I want to cross that bridge. I have had some fruit, nuts and some dairy. I've mostly been adding one ingredient here or there and then judging how I feel afterwords. I have also started exercising.

What had really interesting is that at first, my weight went down a bit, then it went up a few pounds and now it seems to be going down again. According to the ketone strips which I have used at random times, I have remained in ketosis the whole time. I think too many nuts may have accounted for the weight going up and not coming out of ketosis.

Tomorrow, after my weigh in, I am going to see a physical therapist that I know from our dance studio. She specializes in working with dancers. She is going to help me put together an exercise program to strengthen some weaknesses that I have from surgeries and injuries and work on specific other muscles. I'm pretty excited about this. I figure since our winter isn't conducive to being outside it will be a great time for an indoor routine of strength training. That with my elliptical machine and dancing and I should be good.

Thursday's appointment makes me more nervous because I'm going to see a new doctor. I've maintained a doctor that I started seeing when we lived in Colorado, but we have lived in Iowa over 4 years now and having a within 20 miles seems better than one that is over 800 miles. I'm optimistic that this person will fit with my philosophy of allopathic/alternative medicine, but I just dread going over the medical history and all the testing that will likely follow. I've also been using a compounded thyroid for 8+ years and it's normally what throws most doctors because they don't why I won't just pop cytomel or something else that a pharmaceutical company might suggest. And then, we add this diet on top of it! Anyway, it should be an interesting appointment.

I've been trying to keep up here as much as I can, but I've also cut back on my web surfing time for Advent so it's more difficult. Hope you are all doing well!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #404  

I have been in phase 4 for a little over a month. I too feel as if I have gone up a couple pounds and then down again according to my cheat days. I too have a 3# gain limit before I get on phase 1 for a day. It works for me. I know now that if I go up a little, as I will do as I go along in life, I have a plan to get it off. For me, that is the difference between this IP plan and the many other diets I have been on.

I do better if I stay away from the "white carbs". They are still going to be my achielles heel, and best eaten very sparingly. I really don't care all that much for them anymore anyway. There are other things I prefer eating.

I still weigh in once a week through the holidays, and then will start to taper off more. I plan to weigh in at least once a month for quite a while though. A small gain is easier to stop than a landslide!

Have a great holiday everyone.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #405  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Monarch View Post
I really like what you said here. I'm going to adopt the same principle when I arrive at phase 4 (25% of the way there!). I've been trying to figure out what my plan would be when this was all over and how I don't want to ever have to do this again. I'm copying and pasting this into a word document of IP words of wisdom...
Closed Thread