Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #286  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Be brave and face that scale! I can totally relate to your aversion to it, but I believe it keeps us honest. I love, and am quite comfortable in, the land of denial, but remember you really should know your weight. Good luck, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for your pleasant suprise!
Thanks, JSP... I really have done wonderfully on this protocol without ever knowing my weight... I've gone from a size 16W to a comfortable 10, tight 8... it's been a success beyond anything I ever could have expected... I purposely never stepped on the scales because I know how I've always gotten obsessed with that stupid number on previous diets, & that obsession led to so much stress I finally just gave up... this time has been different, not very much stress, most of the time anyway... so, it's not really denial in the common sense, just trying to avoid stress...

I really think my weight is very close to where I'll be happy with it, but still just want to firm up, start looking lean instead of flabby... sure, there's still a little fat to be rid of, that's why I'm staying in Phase 1 for a while longer, but really & truly, the number on the scales is not important to me, what IS important is how my clothes fit & how I feel about what I see in the mirror... so, even if they do weigh me tomorrow, I'm gonna just consider that a minor player in my journey back to the REAL ME!..

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #287  

S/C/G: Weight loss goal 60 pounds

I love yoga its great on this diet that and walking. I'm finding that doing light exercise really helps with weight loss. I intend on starting a bit of weight training once I loose a bit more weight to "tighten" haa
Adrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #288  
ejg
started IP 12/29/10

S/C/G: 158 (IP start 150)/135/123

Height: 5'2"

Default zumba class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
I noticed on their schedule they have zumba classes, which I think I'd like to try... anybody here do zumba?..
Aunt Sheshie - I LOVE zumba! Advice from my favorite and best instructor among the three at my gym - have fun and just move! It doesn't matter if you are following exactly along w/ everyone else. You can make it as high impact or low impact as necessary. I know I get strange looks from the 18-year olds b/c I do low impact and don't know my left from my right, plus the mirrors throw me off. Who cares? It helps relieve the stress and is a lot of fun.
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #289  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrean View Post
I love yoga its great on this diet that and walking. I'm finding that doing light exercise really helps with weight loss. I intend on starting a bit of weight training once I loose a bit more weight to "tighten" haa
I love yoga too & usually do a workout 3 or 4 times a week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg View Post
Aunt Sheshie - I LOVE zumba! Advice from my favorite and best instructor among the three at my gym - have fun and just move! It doesn't matter if you are following exactly along w/ everyone else. You can make it as high impact or low impact as necessary. I know I get strange looks from the 18-year olds b/c I do low impact and don't know my left from my right, plus the mirrors throw me off. Who cares? It helps relieve the stress and is a lot of fun.
Thanks for the info about zumba... today was my first day at the gym, got a fitness assessment & a brief workout on some of the equipment... I felt like a fish out of water!.. I'm gonna give it a couple of weeks to learn the ropes, then I might give the zumba class a try... I'm going to be working out with a trainer once a week, then work out on my own any other days I go... I'm going to aim for 3 days a week to start with... the trainer who did my assessment today asked me if my commitment to getting fit was 100%... I didn't even have to think about it -- my answer was YES!!!.. so, tomorrow is my 1st workout with my trainer... MY trainer!!!.. never in a million years would I have thought I'd say those words!.. pretty cool & I'm really excited about this new adventure...

And, yes, she did weigh me... my guestimate a few days ago wasn't too far off, so now that I know, it's just going to be another number to me, not something to obsess over... she said we'd do another assessment in 6 weeks, so I doubt I'll get weighed again 'til then... suits me...

hugs
Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #290  
JSP
Started IP 10/3/10

S/C/G: 164/129/127

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
I love yoga too & usually do a workout 3 or 4 times a week...

Thanks for the info about zumba... today was my first day at the gym, got a fitness assessment & a brief workout on some of the equipment... I felt like a fish out of water!.. I'm gonna give it a couple of weeks to learn the ropes, then I might give the zumba class a try... I'm going to be working out with a trainer once a week, then work out on my own any other days I go... I'm going to aim for 3 days a week to start with... the trainer who did my assessment today asked me if my commitment to getting fit was 100%... I didn't even have to think about it -- my answer was YES!!!.. so, tomorrow is my 1st workout with my trainer... MY trainer!!!.. never in a million years would I have thought I'd say those words!.. pretty cool & I'm really excited about this new adventure...

And, yes, she did weigh me... my guestimate a few days ago wasn't too far off, so now that I know, it's just going to be another number to me, not something to obsess over... she said we'd do another assessment in 6 weeks, so I doubt I'll get weighed again 'til then... suits me...
hugs
Have fun with your trainer! I am so jealous!

PS, I tried zumba, and was not so keen on it...but if you like to dance, and have some rhythm (unlike me) I bet you will like it. It is very popular at my gym.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #291  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
What is your take on hot water? I have been having a cup of hot water first thing in the morning. HOt water any advantage?
actually my understanding is the opposite...cold water helps you burn more...
http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...uestion447.htm

also found this on a site:
Ice cold water

You'll burn an extra 250-to-500 calories a day by drinking 8-to-10 glasses of ice cold water because...

Your body has to burn calories (or fat) in order to heat the ice cold water back up to your body temperature so basically...

You can lose up to 1 lb. a week JUST by drinking ice cold water.

A German study says drinking about 2 extra glasses of water can boost your metabolism by 30% and they figure when you drink about 1.5 liters of water a day you'll lose an extra 5 lbs a year.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #292  

S/C/G: 340/335/200

Height: 6'1"

I am considering the diet given the reported success of those that stick to it. Reading the threads about substituting products has me rethinking some of it, but I am to a point in my life where I have accepted certain things are worth the investment when you no longer want to tinker with trial/error (Apple, VitaMix, Zojirushi, etc.) You could say I am "ready to drink the Kool-Aid", or the appropriate IP drink mix, as it were.

Anyhoo, one of the things I been successful at recently with respect to exercise is riding a StreetStrider the last few months. I have come to love the exercise and the energy it gives me, but I became a bit worried that it may be too much exercise on the plan. It has a rather high calorie burn rate.

Comments to others from Deinekatze regarding exercise in this thread are encouraging, understanding that I need to pay attention to heart rate and take it easy to stay in range. Still, if I am burning 300-500+ calories (one HRM calculates close to 1000), that seems like it may be too much.
stinhoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #293  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinhoutx View Post
... one of the things I been successful at recently with respect to exercise is riding a StreetStrider the last few months. I have come to love the exercise and the energy it gives me, but I became a bit worried that it may be too much exercise on the plan. It has a rather high calorie burn rate.

Comments to others from Deinekatze regarding exercise in this thread are encouraging, understanding that I need to pay attention to heart rate and take it easy to stay in range. Still, if I am burning 300-500+ calories (one HRM calculates close to 1000), that seems like it may be too much.
You are right to be concerned. I can't tell from your name, whether you're a man or a woman. Either way, it's a serious concern, but more so for a man. On Phase 1 you'll be eating around 800 calories. Phase 1 intake plus your current exercise output is virtually *guaranteed* to create a catabolic state, where your muscles are broken down for survival needs energy. If you want to keep exercising, your choices most likely are:
- maintain frequency, cut way back on the intensity of your sessions,
- maintain intensity, cut way back on the frequency of your sessions,
and/or
- increase your food consumption.

You may need to do one exercise adjustment *and* the food adjustments. Figuring out how much food to eat is fiddly unless you're working with an *excellent* coach.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-21-2011 at 06:44 AM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #294  

I updated my profile to include "Male", eventually I'll be eligible for a signature.

I am still checking out the coaches in the area so I haven't reached the point of starting yet. I am counting on the coach to be good enough to provide some value to justify the expense of a pure IP approach. It would be nice to find one that provides support of similar caliber to the setup the bariatric center here has, at least for the dietician support. (I have not had bariatric surgery, but went to the six months of prerequisite consultation.)

There are two five mile fun rides scheduled the next two Saturdays, so given the timing I'll be able to knock those out before really getting started.

Thank you so much for your input.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #295  

Quote:
I updated my profile to include "Male", eventually I'll be eligible for a signature.

I am still checking out the coaches in the area so I haven't reached the point of starting yet. I am counting on the coach to be good enough to provide some value to justify the expense of a pure IP approach. I...

Thank you so much for your input.
Ask the coach
- What levels of IP training have they received? (There are at least 2.)
- How long have they been coaching?
- How many athletes (or wannabe athletes with vigorous exercise programs) have they worked with?
- Most important, how do they handle questions to which they don't know the answer?

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 02-21-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #296  

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm svelting! View Post
Ask the coach
- Most important, how do they handle questions to which they don't know the answer?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #297  

Quote:
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #298  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

Just bumping this thread up! Have a good day!
rubyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #299  

Just reporting in after a little more than 2 weeks of gym membership... it's great, I wish I'd joined years ago... I took the plunge last week & started going to Zumba classes twice a week... I love it!.. more of a workout than I've ever had, probably, but gobs of fun... of course, the first time, I couldn't believe what a klutz I was, but as I've learned the steps & moves a little better, I'm surprised that I can actually do some of it without too much embarrassment...

hugs
Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #300  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Just reporting in after a little more than 2 weeks of gym membership... it's great, I wish I'd joined years ago... I took the plunge last week & started going to Zumba classes twice a week... I love it!.. more of a workout than I've ever had, probably, but gobs of fun... of course, the first time, I couldn't believe what a klutz I was, but as I've learned the steps & moves a little better, I'm surprised that I can actually do some of it without too much embarrassment...

hugs
YEY! Congrats and keep it going!
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote