Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #406  

i started power walking for 20-40 minutes every day, its working out well for me. i wish i was able to lift weights too if possible but my coach is against it.
ha8in lazyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #407  

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I would read through all of these posts, but I'm at work, so not much time.

Before I started IP, between the months of September 2010 to May 2012, my roommate and I worked out pretty hardcore and ate healthy and I lost weight. I moved back in with the parentals after graduation and my unhealthy eating started as well. I started IP about 4 weeks ago, but during the first 2 weeks, I ran 2 to 3 days a week and did some ab workouts.

This past week, I did my former workout routine because I read that after the first two weeks you could work out. My coach said that I can continue working out, but this past week, I ran 4 days and incorporated some weights and lunges/squats and some machines. I also ate mostly according to the plan and didn't cheat once! I went from 166 to 164, but my lean weight went from 113 to 111 and my body fat percentage went up almost half a percentage, around .41%. What could I be doing wrong? Should I cut the amount of cardio or weights? This week, I'm gonna cut the weights a little and the reps and see what happens next week.

Does anybody else have any better tips?
IPbeginnerNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #408  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPbeginnerNOLA View Post

Before I started IP, between the months of September 2010 to May 2012, my roommate and I worked out pretty hardcore and ate healthy and I lost weight. I moved back in with the parentals after graduation and my unhealthy eating started as well. I started IP about 4 weeks ago, but during the first 2 weeks, I ran 2 to 3 days a week and did some ab workouts.

This past week, I did my former workout routine because I read that after the first two weeks you could work out. My coach said that I can continue working out, but this past week, I ran 4 days and incorporated some weights and lunges/squats and some machines. I also ate mostly according to the plan and didn't cheat once! I went from 166 to 164, but my lean weight went from 113 to 111 and my body fat percentage went up almost half a percentage, around .41%. What could I be doing wrong? Should I cut the amount of cardio or weights? This week, I'm gonna cut the weights a little and the reps and see what happens next week.

Suggestion: Add an extra packet or the equivalent in eggs or protein on workout days, even if it is not directly before or after the workout. So you day could look like: IP non-restricted pre-workout, workout, bar for breakfast, IP lunch, protein dinner, IP snack. Cut out the cardio entirely. Keep the weights, squats, machines. See what happens.

It is typical to lose 1 lb of lean weight and 3 lbs of fat for every 4 lbs lost. Also, if you worked out the day before or the day of the weigh in, water in the muscles plays games with the scale/BF too. Too much exercise/too intense of exercise will change that ratio, just like you experienced.

Each person is different, so if that doesn't work after a week or two, tweak something else.

If you are looking for a fat burn only, keep the cardio to gentle walking. If you want to build muscle or keep it, you have to just do the weights. Look for posts from momto2cs as she exercises strenuously when she does Phase 1 (she is in maintenance now).

Everything noteworthy I've found in web searching pretty much says you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to choose.

You do realize that if you are able to maintain 111 lbs LM that you will be at about 18% body fat when you reach goal. Is that what you are shooting for?

A couple of other things: Not all lean mass lost is muscle mass. Sometimes it is just water or some of the support structure for the fat you are losing. And, the BF measuring device is not all that accurate (arguable between 2% and 5%) so don't get too spun up over a one time blip rather than a trend (although I get aggravated when it doesn't go my way, too.)

Hope that helps. You can PM me with other questions if you would like.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #409  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Yes-definitely add either a packet or the 2 eggs. Those body comp scales are very inaccurate, so I would not worry about one reading, but watch for a trend.

I did not feel exercise impacted my losses until I got close to goal. At that point I had gotten my bodyfat down to around 18% and at that point I pretty much stalled. I decided that was fine with me, although to be honest my maintenance diet includes mostly low carb eating.

See how you feel with exercise. It can make you hungry, which during the major losing phase of ip is not very fun. I have always felt I have lots of energy.

My workouts are usually about 60 minutes-bootcamp/circuit type workouts that combine cardio and strength training. 6 days a week.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #410  

My normal exercise consists of 30 to 45 minutes of walking/running/biking/elliptical and then about 15 to 30 minutes of weight training from Tuesday through Thursday, sometimes Friday.

I really like running/biking. I don't necessarily want to gain muscle, but I definitely want to burn fat. That's definitely my main goal of IP. So, I should add food in there? I'm worried that maybe I ate too much protein last week and that is what caused me to not necessarily lose fat. But, all in all, I shouldn't be too worried about that one weigh in? Just watch to see if there is a trend?

This is all extremely new for me and I don't want to waste my money on this diet cause you guys know how expensive it is!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #411  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
My normal exercise consists of 30 to 45 minutes of walking/running/biking/elliptical and then about 15 to 30 minutes of weight training from Tuesday through Thursday, sometimes Friday.

I really like running/biking. I don't necessarily want to gain muscle, but I definitely want to burn fat. That's definitely my main goal of IP. So, I should add food in there? I'm worried that maybe I ate too much protein last week and that is what caused me to not necessarily lose fat. But, all in all, I shouldn't be too worried about that one weigh in? Just watch to see if there is a trend?

This is all extremely new for me and I don't want to waste my money on this diet cause you guys know how expensive it is!
Do you typically workout before breakfast?
Why do you think you ate too much protein last week?
And yes, do not get worried about one weigh in if you were 100% on plan.
Could TOM be impacting this for you as well? That could definitely make things look different from what is really happening.

How long have you been on IP, just a couple of weeks? (Sorry if you wrote it and I missed it.)

Does your coach give you some of the info sheets on the science of the diet?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #412  

Weight training can definitely cause water retention. Building muscle is hard work and takes serious effort, especially for women.
That said, sometimes focusing on diet is the best plan. Exercise can follow in the later phases. Everyone is different.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #413  

S/C/G: 225/209/185

Height: 5'11"

Have you tried carrying small dumbbells in your hands while you are walking? I am doing that now and I fell like I am getting more done during the walk.
pwpcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #414  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:

If you're actively trying to lose weight (i.e. not in maintenance), you might want to cut back on the activity. From what I've seen, you shouldn't do much more than 30 minutes of low impact activity and then follow it with a packet or eggs. This diet just doesn't have enough calories to support high levels of activity and weight loss.
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #415  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I very rarely exercised before IP, I had a full left hip replacement so I can't run (looks funny when I try) and broke my ankle in 3 places and have rods and such in it. So even walking a couple blocks and I was in pain.

Which is the reason I stated this diet! Hoping to give some relief to my joints! My coach said no exercise that makes you sweat. So once I feel up to it I will be walking and who knows what else!
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #416  

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
Do you typically workout before breakfast?
Why do you think you ate too much protein last week?
And yes, do not get worried about one weigh in if you were 100% on plan.
Could TOM be impacting this for you as well? That could definitely make things look different from what is really happening.

How long have you been on IP, just a couple of weeks? (Sorry if you wrote it and I missed it.)

Does your coach give you some of the info sheets on the science of the diet?
I do workout before breakfast. I just had my 4th weigh in and my lean mass went down another two pounds. My coach is going to talk with the doctor and try to reduce ways for that to happen. I'm only working out two days this week so I'm not going to worry about it much. Today, was a pretty relax day at the gym. I'm trying not to push myself too hard and see where I go with it.

My coach said that I might need to add a packet because I'm burning calories but not consuming much. I don't want to lose lean mass, so it's driving me crazy. And I think I have some of the info sheets, not sure if all. Honestly, I did better when I had a cheat day. Lol. I definitely think I worked out too much though because on days when I don't work out or work out light, I feel energized which I'm supposed to feel like and less hungry. Whereas, last week, I was starving all day everyday.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #417  

S/C/G: 282 / ticker / 180

Height: 5'11"

I wasn't allowed to do any physical activity during my first month (last month) but I started working out this month. I have since been working out for the past three weeks, it has had no negative impact on my progress. It has made a slightly noticeable, positive change to my fat and muscle percentages.

I am currently working out 3 times a week. I do strength training (lower weight, higher reps) and 20min of intervals on the treadmill. I start my workout an hour after I have my restricted item (extra energy) I immediately follow the workout with an extra packet, usually the orange drink.

The important factor is knowing your limitations and listen to your body.

Last edited by nobylspoon; 11-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #418  

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5 5"

I workout at Curves...I love it! I do my 3 times a week strengh excercise, but on my 1st few weeks on IP, I went once a week.
Jenifer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #419  
IP Reboot: 01/06/17

S/C/G: 190.3/ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenifer7 View Post
I workout at Curves...I love it! I do my 3 times a week strengh excercise, but on my 1st few weeks on IP, I went once a week.
Did you find you were tired more easily? I haven't been to Curves since I started IP, but I want to soon.
starsandrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #420  

I would say now that you are well into ip you should go back and try it. I found I had lots of energy. I do find timing my workouts for just before dinner work best for me...