Old 10-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

If you are using your Iphone - make sure you have some great upbeat music on it. I found myself pacing my walking/jogging to the beat of the music. Not too good if something slow comes on. I finally just did a running track. Also if you can get over the annoying reminder to run/walk it will be the bomb!
rubyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

I too have been wondering about the couch to 5K app. I remember Jordanna starting that before she became pregnant. Glad to see the input from others on here!!
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #198  
Lorrie

S/C/G: 280/191/200

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMustard View Post
I'm a walker. I walk on my treadmill 3-4 times a week at about 3mph on 5.5% grade. Have been walking 3 miles, just uped it to 4!
I too work out on the treadmill about 4-5 times per week. I work on a program that eventually reaches an incline of 8 with a speed of 3.5 and lasts for 15 minutes. I usually burn around 125 calories --- feels good --- get some sweat going!
JonathanandZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #199  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

I'm gonna start the couch to 5k this week.... I also LOVE Zumba!! Anyone else tried it? I've got the DVD's and it is such a fun work out!
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #200  

Love Zumba too! Normally attend 1 class every week. Can't wait to get back to it. It's very fun and wow do you break a sweat. My friends handy dandy fitness watch says we are burning about 500 calories in one class! The thing is you don't have to know how to dance - you just got to move.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #201  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
I'm gonna start the couch to 5k this week.... I also LOVE Zumba!! Anyone else tried it? I've got the DVD's and it is such a fun work out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
Love Zumba too! Normally attend 1 class every week. Can't wait to get back to it. It's very fun and wow do you break a sweat. My friends handy dandy fitness watch says we are burning about 500 calories in one class! The thing is you don't have to know how to dance - you just got to move.
Just came in from my first walk/wog/jog of C-to-5K!.. I really didn't know if I'd be able to jog, it's been so many years, but I made it!.. already looking forward to the next time... still have my kettlebell workout & yoga to do today, but I just had to report in... I hope you enjoy it too, jency...

I need to find out if there's a Zumba class here... if not, I'll look for the DVDs... sounds like a lot of fun...

hugs

P.S. Just had to add something to this post... I had been noticing over the past month or so a little bit of boredom with my diet/exercise routine & had been hoping I could get past it, but didn't know how I was going to do that... but tonight, in fact all afternoon, I've felt a renewed enthusiasm, not only for exercise, but also for the whole IP experience!.. did my mid-day walk/wog/jog do that?.. maybe!.. feels so good!..

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 11-01-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #202  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Just came in from my first walk/wog/jog of C-to-5K!.. I really didn't know if I'd be able to jog, it's been so many years, but I made it!.. already looking forward to the next time... still have my kettlebell workout & yoga to do today, but I just had to report in...

P.S. Just had to add something to this post... I had been noticing over the past month or so a little bit of boredom with my diet/exercise routine & had been hoping I could get past it, but didn't know how I was going to do that... but tonight, in fact all afternoon, I've felt a renewed enthusiasm, not only for exercise, but also for the whole IP experience!.. did my mid-day walk/wog/jog do that?.. maybe!.. feels so good!..
yeah!!!!! Good job taking the first step (or in this case - wog!!!)! Glad to hear you've found a new physical activity to re-motivate you. I find frequently changing up my core and strength routines helps tremendously both psychologically and physically.

Yes, the change in your routine can have hours long positive benefits. For me personally, running is the only form of cardio exercise which releases Huge amounts of feel good endorphines which fuel me for hours. Yep, I could be a poster child for the "natural high". Lol!

Have fun wogging! Remember to take it slow and to GRADUALLY increase your distance. You want to make sure you give your body time to adjust and definitely don't want to risk injury early on. And regardless of how far, or hard you run, hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.

Wogging is just wonderful in my book!
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #203  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
My daughter teaches Zumba and I think it would be fun to get back to, but it was part of the high intensity exercise that I was told to avoid because of adrenal fatigue. I have follow up testing in December or January, so we'll see how things are then as to whether I can do it again. For now, I'll continue my ballroom dancing with an occasional Latin dance thrown in.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #204  

I go to a great gym and we have a variety of classes. For 7 years I've gone to a class on MON, WED,THURS, FRI am. Our class consist of mostly over 40 yrs. women. We've been together for most of those 7 years. It's been hard for me not to go for the past 2 weeks, I can't wait to go back - if not for the exercise - I miss my friends! My coach says it's o.k. to start back - but no resistance training - just the aerobic portion. I promised I'd follow his instructions. Can't wait for Wednesday!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #205  

Quote:
If you are using your Iphone - make sure you have some great upbeat music on it. I found myself pacing my walking/jogging to the beat of the music. Not too good if something slow comes on. I finally just did a running track. Also if you can get over the annoying reminder to run/walk it will be the bomb!
Thanks, good advice... I forgot my iPod yesterday, but will try to remember it tomorrow... I have the Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels "Devil With A Blue Dress On" album on there, that should keep me moving!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
yeah!!!!! Good job taking the first step (or in this case - wog!!!)! Glad to hear you've found a new physical activity to re-motivate you. I find frequently changing up my core and strength routines helps tremendously both psychologically and physically.

Yes, the change in your routine can have hours long positive benefits. For me personally, running is the only form of cardio exercise which releases Huge amounts of feel good endorphines which fuel me for hours. Yep, I could be a poster child for the "natural high". Lol!

Have fun wogging! Remember to take it slow and to GRADUALLY increase your distance. You want to make sure you give your body time to adjust and definitely don't want to risk injury early on. And regardless of how far, or hard you run, hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.

Wogging is just wonderful in my book!
Thanks for your encouraging words!.. my legs were a little sore this morning, but not too bad... I'm still excited about this new program, the gradual increase in distance & intensity is built in... as for the water, I found out yesterday that one bottle is barely enough... so, I'll take two, one to take a swig from before the run & leave in the car for afterward... the other to carry with me on the trail...

hugs
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #206  

Oh, dear, it's confession time... after my wonderful walk/wog/jog last Monday, & looking forward to the next time on Wednesday, something came up that prevented me from going that day & then I wimped out the rest of the week... yeah, I know, bad me, bad me!.. so yesterday, in spite of the great weather outside, my motivation to run still wasn't back, so I did my workout my old way, NordicTrack, kettlebells, & yoga... well, at least I did something... didn't even do that last week & I can already tell I'm paying the price for my lack of get-up-&-go... maybe I jumped the gun, thinking I was ready to start running... my indoor workout suits me pretty well, so maybe I'll wait 'til next spring to see if my enthusiasm for outdoor exercise returns... meanwhile, I've got some spiffy new shoes... they should be well broken-in by then...

hugs
Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #207  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Quote:
I go to a great gym and we have a variety of classes. For 7 years I've gone to a class on MON, WED,THURS, FRI am. Our class consist of mostly over 40 yrs. women. We've been together for most of those 7 years. It's been hard for me not to go for the past 2 weeks, I can't wait to go back - if not for the exercise - I miss my friends! My coach says it's o.k. to start back - but no resistance training - just the aerobic portion. I promised I'd follow his instructions. Can't wait for Wednesday!
have to ask... why not resistance training? That keeps your Heart Rate down while still working out your muscles and helping your bones... not sure I understand that theory
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #208  

According to him "we are taking in a low amount of calories - he want you to burn fat not muscle" THe clinic I attend really prefers no exercise but if you must - something that is not going to raise your heart rate - like walking or yoga. I go to class and participate in the 20 minutes of aerobics at a lower level than I normally would. Skip the weight training portion, then do the stretching portion. I just started back last week. I have a scale to check body fat/muscle %, etc. I'll check tomorrow and make sure I've only lost fat. I don't want to lose any muscle!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #209  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Quote:
According to him "we are taking in a low amount of calories - he want you to burn fat not muscle" THe clinic I attend really prefers no exercise but if you must - something that is not going to raise your heart rate - like walking or yoga. I go to class and participate in the 20 minutes of aerobics at a lower level than I normally would. Skip the weight training portion, then do the stretching portion. I just started back last week. I have a scale to check body fat/muscle %, etc. I'll check tomorrow and make sure I've only lost fat. I don't want to lose any muscle!
well check but yes, the advantage of building muscle is also that it burns more fat...as in it keeps burning after the work out, unlike cardio.
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #210  

S/C/G: Oct 2010 282/222/180

My coach says light walking but to keep the heart rate down.
freeatlast73 is offline   Reply With Quote