Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 186/128/135 Started IP on 5/10

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tminus80 View Post
While on IP has anyone (who was not really exercising before) begun to "crave" exercise or activity?

Around IP week 5-6, I found that my body/mind (I don't know which) was actually craving activity. Since then I have started walking in the evenings and on weekends. My coach approves of the level of activity and I feel great, even better because of it. I just found it so strange that instead of ice cream or cookies, I began to crave exercise.
The same thing happened to me, right around the same time. I actually would start to get irritated if I couldn't exercise.
JessicaCourez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Question Is extra protein needed when working out?

Hi Ipers,
I am on Week 3 of IP. I am ready to resume working out. I have read the post about working out in the "Fitness Zone", 60 -70% of my HR. I have my HR monitor, so I am ready there. My questions concerns extra protein when I work out. Should I take extra protein on my work out days? If so, should I take it before or after my workout. I was thinking about using the EAS AdvanteEdge carb control protein shakes. Any comments/suggestions?
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #183  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
I'm glad you posted this, Carla... I always like knowing the science behind things... I've read many times in this forum that the only reason to not exercise is because it will make you hungrier... it never affected me that way (& I've been exercising from the very beginning), so I always wondered... what you wrote, & what Elizabeth has posted before, makes tons more sense to me... I'm not doubting that some people's experiences have been that they were hungrier when they exercised, but maybe they were really, as Dr. Tran Tien says in his book, thirsty instead... we often mistake hunger for thirst, & that's probably one reason this diet & many others emphasize drinking lots of water...

Here's the quote from the doctor's book (p. 105):
What if I’m hungry after a workout?

You’re probably more thirsty than hungry. It’s normal to drink lots
of fluids after exercising, because your body has lost a great deal of
water. The secret is to avoid overly sweet beverages and to go for
those that are just sweet enough to provide energy. Salty drinks are
better, because they replenish the salts your body has lost through
perspiration.
You are so right! In fact we are more prone to dehydration on this type of diet so, becoming more thirsty is highly possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemel View Post
Thanks, Carla.
You are a wealth of information. I plan to start working out next week. I have a heart rate monitor to stay within the 70 - 75% zone.
Thanks but, I was just repeating what Elizabeth taught me! I hope it goes well for you.

Quote:
You're very welcome, Linden... glad you liked it!.. what got me started thinking about all that was that the good doctor mentions in his book that he had worked with athletes -- boxers, triathletes, marathon runners -- & I thought, would a boxer lay off working out for a couple of weeks while he was on this diet?.. I doubt he would, & probably no other professional athlete would either...

I got my entire workout done today, so I think (I hope) I'm finally back from my lazy week... feels good...

hugs
There is actually and athletic protocol for people who were very active before the program and plan to stay active during it.

Quote:
While on IP has anyone (who was not really exercising before) begun to "crave" exercise or activity?

Around IP week 5-6, I found that my body/mind (I don't know which) was actually craving activity. :
Yes, I did the same thing! I was told to not exercise, so I didn't, BIG mistake in my opinion. I did walk a little more but, I would have preferred following my bodies suggestion to move more!

Quote:
Hi Ipers,
I am on Week 3 of IP. I am ready to resume working out. I have read the post about working out in the "Fitness Zone", 60 -70% of my HR. I have my HR monitor, so I am ready there. My questions concerns extra protein when I work out. Should I take extra protein on my work out days? If so, should I take it before or after my workout. I was thinking about using the EAS AdvanteEdge carb control protein shakes. Any comments/suggestions?
I am preparing to go back to a boot camp but am doing exercise. I was told by a new coach, , to eat a extra protein packet immediately after exercising.

I think your suggestion is a good one.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 164/152/125

Height: 5'2

My coach said no excercise the first two weeks. I'm finishing week one tomorrow and I've listened. Although I've lost five pounds so far, I really miss working out! I did spin class and sometimes ran. I want to start back, but she was saying that I should lay off because it can be detremental to my weight loss.
What does everyone else think? What's your experience been?
navy mom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #185  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy mom 72 View Post
My coach said no excercise the first two weeks. I'm finishing week one tomorrow and I've listened. Although I've lost five pounds so far, I really miss working out! I did spin class and sometimes ran. I want to start back, but she was saying that I should lay off because it can be detremental to my weight loss.
What does everyone else think? What's your experience been?
Probably 100 of the 187 post below are about this very issue.

Lay off for at least 2 weeks and in the mean time glance through the posts here. There's no single answer, depending on what level of exercise you were at before you began IP -- except to keep your heart rate at 50-60%. It's worthwhile to see the various pieces of advice.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 237/113/140 ... healthy BMI

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Hi Ipers,
HI Nursemel,

I've been working out since day one and do the majority of my exercising first thing in the morning. I don't eat anything before hand because of meds I need to take on an empty stomach. Which means I end up drinking my breakfast protein shake within 30 minutes of finishing my exercise routine. When I work out in evening, I may or not have an extra 1/2 portion of a protein shake. It just depends upon my energy level and what type of exercising I'm going to do. For me, listening to my body and acting accordingly is what I try to do. So if that means having extra protein (either in the form of a shake or lean meat) I'll have it. When I was running/biking, I would even occasionally have almonds (5-8) IF i felt my body needed it. (Since I haven't been able to run/bike for a while, I haven't had the almonds.)

One thing I ALWAYS do, regardless of when I work out: I drink EXTRA water - not just the normal amount of water I need to consume in a day. And I drink it before, during and after working out.

So... my advice: listen to your body and then decide if you should have an extra protein source before or after working out. There are so many variables; when you've eaten, how much water you've consumed, the type of exercising you're doing... it's important to consume enough protein to cover your daily needs and it's also important to cover the needs your emerging muscles will need. Talk it over with your coach, let him/her know about the type of exercising you'll be doing and then decide what is going to be best for your body.

Enjoy working out!
makeitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #187  

S/C/G: 273.8/247.5/199

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
HI Nursemel,

I've been working out since day one and do the majority of my exercising first thing in the morning. I don't eat anything before hand because of meds I need to take on an empty stomach. Which means I end up drinking my breakfast protein shake within 30 minutes of finishing my exercise routine. When I work out in evening, I may or not have an extra 1/2 portion of a protein shake. It just depends upon my energy level and what type of exercising I'm going to do. For me, listening to my body and acting accordingly is what I try to do. So if that means having extra protein (either in the form of a shake or lean meat) I'll have it. When I was running/biking, I would even occasionally have almonds (5-8) IF i felt my body needed it. (Since I haven't been able to run/bike for a while, I haven't had the almonds.)

One thing I ALWAYS do, regardless of when I work out: I drink EXTRA water - not just the normal amount of water I need to consume in a day. And I drink it before, during and after working out.

So... my advice: listen to your body and then decide if you should have an extra protein source before or after working out. There are so many variables; when you've eaten, how much water you've consumed, the type of exercising you're doing... it's important to consume enough protein to cover your daily needs and it's also important to cover the needs your emerging muscles will need. Talk it over with your coach, let him/her know about the type of exercising you'll be doing and then decide what is going to be best for your body.

Enjoy working out!
Thanks for the advice. I usually work out first thing in the morning. I too take medication that requires an empty stomach. So this morning I just had coffee, then the EAS protein drink. So far it worked out pretty. I had the cripsy cereal once I got to work. I will see how that works out this week.
Thanks again
nursemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #188  

I've been on vacation in Colorado for 9 days, so I'm a bit behind... trying to play catch-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrfish23 View Post
I just had my week 4 WI yesterday and I exercised before I started the diet and have continued to exercise since I started the diet. My coach did not have an issue with the exercise as long as I feel good. I do 3-4 Spin classes per week, i also jog and walk on my treadmill and have have added in weights.

I am actually exercising more now on the diet and feel that the exercise has helped me with my weight loss. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, but either way I am pleased with my progress on IP.
No, you're not alone... this is exactly how it worked for me... the couple of times I stopped exercising, the diet continued to work, I was still losing inches, but I wasn't firming up... I just like it so much better when I'm exercising, this 61-year-old body would probably look like a prune by now if I hadn't been working out...

Keep up the good work!!!..

Quote:

Around IP week 5-6, I found that my body/mind (I don't know which) was actually craving activity. Since then I have started walking in the evenings and on weekends. My coach approves of the level of activity and I feel great, even better because of it. I just found it so strange that instead of ice cream or cookies, I began to crave exercise.
YES!!!.. that happened to me too... I usually save my workouts 'til about noon, so I can have my lunchtime protein shake right after, but some days, I just want to exercise so badly in the mornings, I can hardly wait... isn't this a great problem to have!!!..

Quote:
Hi Ipers,
As I said above, I usually have my lunchtime shake immediately after exercise, but there are "experts" (those guys at GNC) that say to have a shake before & one after working out... I haven't tried it that way, so I don't know if it'd be advantageous or not... the only advice I can give is try the different ways & see what works the best for you... good choice on the EAS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitmatter View Post
HI Nursemel,

Enjoy working out!
Great advice!!!.. you always come through for us!.. like you, I'm drinking water all through my workouts...

hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #189  

From Yahoo Health:
Clear That Brain Fog with This Easy Exercise

It's simple, requires no equipment, and is easy on your joints. And new research shows it helps banish brain fog, too. It's walking.

In a study of people age 55 to 80, engaging in one of the world's oldest and simplest forms of exercise helped improve signaling communication in the brains of the study participants.

Steps Away from a Younger Brain
As we get older, communication pathways within the brain begin to bog down. But in the study, the brains of couch-potato adults who enrolled in a year-long walking program showed significant improvement in cognitive functioning and communication signaling at the end of the study period. Specifically, communication between what's known as the default mode network and the frontal executive network in the brain was stronger -- great news since these two important networks tend to take a hit as we get older.

Toning or Two-Stepping?
The problem of sliding cognitive powers may be worse for people who don't do any cardio. Another group of study participants did stretching and toning exercises for a year instead of walking, but their MRIs and cognitive skills tests didn't show quite the same improvement as the walkers' did. Any brain boost they experienced was chalked up as a result of learning and mastering a new exercise. Still, for a variety of other health reasons, you'll want to have both cardio and strength training on the fitness menu
hugs
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #190  

Default Couch to 5K...

Has anybody done the Couch-to-5K program?.. I haven't run for exercise in many, many years, but I'm thinking of giving this a try...

The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan
"Our beginner's running schedule has helped thousands of new runners get off the couch and onto the roads, running 3 miles in just two months."

hugs
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 162/132/130

Height: 5'3"

I've done couch to 5K before I started IP. I really enjoyed it. I've always walked 5K runs, but after doing Couch to 5K I was able to jog the whole time. I'm sure I could have run, but I'm a little on the top heavy side, so I just jogged. They also have the half marathon program out too. It's what I will start with when my IP coach says I can exercise.
rubyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #192  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyh View Post
I've done couch to 5K before I started IP. I really enjoyed it. I've always walked 5K runs, but after doing Couch to 5K I was able to jog the whole time. I'm sure I could have run, but I'm a little on the top heavy side, so I just jogged. They also have the half marathon program out too. It's what I will start with when my IP coach says I can exercise.
Thanks rubyh!.. I'm glad to hear from somebody who's tried it... I plan to start the program Monday, if the weather cooperates!.. I'm not so gung-ho about running yet that I'd do it in the rain...

hugs
Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #193  

Quote:
I plan to start the program Monday, if the weather cooperates!.. I'm not so gung-ho about running yet that I'd do it in the rain...

hugs

I love, love, love running in the rain! Maybe it's running through the puddles which takes me back to my childhood of stomping in muddy puddles. Or maybe it's the rhythmic falling of the rain which helps my pace and keeps my head clear. Whatever it is, running in the rain is my favorite.

On a serious note; for me personally, I exercise regardless of what the weather is doing - raining, snowing, freezing cold, sunny... If I let the weather dictate my getting outside to exercise - and using it as an excuse to not exercise - then I'm cheating myself. For me, it's the same as saying something like, "an extra tsp. of protein powder, oil, or a few nuts isn't going to make a difference." Well, those little extras/or deviations have a negative way of adding up. When it comes to exercising, if I don't do what I had set out to do the day before, then I feel bad with myself. Plus, it's too easy to say, "today I won't run/walk/wog/bike... because of the weather, but I'll definitely do it tomorrow." But if the next day is bad weather wise, then what? Slacking off is too easy of a habit to get into.

Gosh, this is sounding really mean of me. It's not meant to. I'm just trying to share how I've found, with me personally, if I slack off it's harder to get back on track. The weather is always going to be an issue of some sort. Instead of letting it work against me, I take it for what it is and deal with it. Plus, I have invested $$$ in really good athletic performance wear - which makes a huge difference in your comfort level when working in inclement weather.

Do give running in the rain a try. It really is a blast - especially when running trails! Just don't run when there's the potential for lightning - that would (shockingly) not be good...

Please keep us posted as to how the Cto5k goes. I'd love to hear about your progress.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #194  

Around here, I wouldn't get to use rain as an excuse very often... don't worry, I didn't think you sounded mean at all... I appreciate all the help I can get... when I mentioned rain, I guess I was thinking of all the lightning that usually goes with it here in west Texas, rather than the getting-wet part... just last week we had a terrible thunderstorm, lightning crashing all around, high winds, large hail, turbulence in the clouds... I've looked at the Yahoo weather page & sunny skies are forecasted for Monday, so I'm committed!..

Thanks for the encouragement, you always come through for all of us, & I really appreciate it... & YOU!!!..

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 10-28-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #195  

Quote:
Around here, I wouldn't get to use rain as an excuse very often... don't worry, I didn't think you sounded mean at all... I appreciate all the help I can get... when I mentioned rain, I guess I was thinking of all the lightning that usually goes with it here in west Texas, rather than the getting-wet part... just last week we had a terrible thunderstorm, lightning crashing all around, high winds, large hail, turbulence in the clouds... I've looked at the Yahoo weather page & sunny skies are forecasted for Monday, so I'm committed!..

Thanks for the encouragement, you always come through for all of us, & I really appreciate it... & YOU!!!..

hugs
Whew... sometimes when I post things I'm so afraid I've written my thoughts out poorly and that it'll come out all wrong/be taken the wrong way....

Aren't thunderstorms/lightning storms spectacular displays of Mother Nature's wrath. Gorgeous to witness, but the aftermath is devastating.