Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 208/183/150

Height: 5'5"

I have a question, I have been on the diet for a couple months, and lost about 30 lbs, but I moved and now have a new "coach" but she's telling me that I have to have salad everyday on top of the veggies. I don't see the need, if I eat my 2 c. of veggies for lunch and dinner, plus I'm usually too full to eat an additional salad. Is she right? Or can I continue what I've been doing?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #182  
Restarted on 01/10/17

S/C/G: 212/212/123

Height: 5'1"

Lettuce is optional. You don't have to have salad if you don't want it.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #183  
aka, Rosie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms87 View Post
I have a question, I have been on the diet for a couple months, and lost about 30 lbs, but I moved and now have a new "coach" but she's telling me that I have to have salad everyday on top of the veggies. I don't see the need, if I eat my 2 c. of veggies for lunch and dinner, plus I'm usually too full to eat an additional salad. Is she right? Or can I continue what I've been doing?
Different coaches will tell you different things. This topic has come up before, some say you should have your lettuce (helps with elimination), other say "not to worry". I have my lettuce as a snack. I get hungry in the morning between 11-1: (I have my breakfast at 9 waiting until 1 is a long wait) and in the afternoon between 3-6. I have half a bag of lettuce in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. You don't have to have it as part of your meal. Hope this helps. Rosie

Last edited by 6710; 08-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #184  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarylady402 View Post
Evening Protein Snack on Phase 4: My coach suggested eating CarbMaster Yogurt (sold at Smith's Grocery or Fred Meyers) as an evening protein snack as the carbs are minimal. But, truthfully I am getting sick of it. Does anyone have any ideas for other protein snacks other than the Ideal Protein packets?
Not sure why your coach is adding extra protein. Do you need it? Are you in Phase 2 or 3 or on an alternate plan? Are you a vegetarian? All of these things would need to be considered in answering your question.

In general, on phase 1, if you needed an extra protein a coach would choose something OTHER than a dairy which is considered more along the lines of a fat.

A hardboiled egg, tuna, or a lean piece of meat would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMayde View Post
I have read posts from a few people saying if they don't want it to count as their protein, they use an egg white. Does this count as any protein at all? I'm just a little confused as to how it works with the yellows vs. the whites
EGG white is all protein. EGG YOLK is lots of fats (lipids) and proteins. No way around it. If you eat eggs, any part of them, you are getting extra protein and need to count it as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyputty View Post
anyone know why we can't have red wine vinegar? on the label there is 0% everything... balsamic I can see but hmmm... and yet we can have regular vinegar... I have an awesome vinaigrette rice but calls for red wine vinegar!

Thanks ladies... I know some out there is in the know!
If it is all Zero in every area and the ingredients show no sugars or forms of sugars you may use a little. Just be mindful that it is an acid and we are to keep our added acids low. Most red wine vinegars have wine, sugar, and/or carbs. Also, there is the psychology that wine might be ok and it is NOT approved on this plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms87 View Post
Your new coach is correct and in line with what the Ideal Protein training books show. This is a point that is "flexed" by many coaches/clinics because it would be better to have someone on the plan eating few salads, especially if they get results, than to have them refuse to do it if salads can't be avoided.

The truth is salad is very beneficial and part of the chemistry of the plan. It provides a substantial part of the nutrition that we get given we are on a limited choice diet. If you don't like salad but can find other ways to use it, you should try to do that.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #185  

Default FAQ: Should I Eat My Lettuce/Salad

This question comes up every few months or so. Just to reiterate, what is in line with what the Ideal Protein training sheets show is we are supposed to eat 2 portions of unlimited lettuce a day along with 4 total cups of veggies. This is not an either/or choice. On the other hand this is a point that is "flexed" by many coaches/clinics because it would be better to have someone on the plan eating few "salad" or lettuce portions, especially if they get results, than to have them refuse to do it if salads can't be avoided.
The truth is salad is very beneficial and part of the chemistry of the plan. It provides a substantial part of the nutrition that we get considering we are on a limited choice diet. If after reading this you think lettuce is not an essential part of our diet then, don’t eat it. I believe that it is a recommended part of our diet because of all the amazing nutritional benefits we get from it!

First, let’s clarify that all lettuce was not created equal. Lettuce can be classified into various categories with the most common being:
• Romaine: Also known as Cos, this variety of head forming lettuce has deep green, long leaves with a crisp texture and deep taste.
• Crisphead: With green leaves on the outside and whitish ones on the inside, this variety of head lettuce has a crisp texture and a watery, mild taste. The best known variety of crisphead lettuce is iceberg.
• Butterhead: These types of lettuce feature tender large leaves that form a loosely arranged head that is easily separated from the stem, a sweet flavor and a soft texture. The best known varieties of Butterhead lettuce include Boston and Bibb.
• Leaf: Featuring broad, curly leaf varieties that are green and/or red, the leaf lettuces offer a delicate taste and a mildly crispy texture. Best known varieties of leaf lettuce include green leaf and red leaf.
While vegetables such as arugula, watercress and mizuna are not technically lettuce, these greens are often used interchangeably with lettuces in salads.

The most beneficial and nutrient rich of all lettuce is romaine. Have you ever wondered what are those "healthy benefits of Romaine lettuce"?

This is the very lettuce we are being asked to eat! Why that one? Romaine lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin A (provided through its carotenoid, beta-carotene), folate, vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese and chromium. In addition, romaine lettuce is a very good source of dietary fiber, calcium, vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6, iron and the minerals manganese, potassium, molybdenum, iron, and phosphorus. It provides the amino acid tryptophan.And, it provides small levels of omega 3 fatty acids.

Vitamin A – It helps the health of the eyes, age-related macular degeneration, and fights cancers. You get over 50 percent of what you need daily by eating romaine.

Carotenoids are antioxidants which protect your cells from damage. Carotenoids are especially important for the health and protection of your eyes. Romaine lettuce specifically contains the carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids are thought to prevent ocular diseases such as Macular Degeneration. Additionally, the carotenoid nutrition found in romaine lettuce can also reduce some of the adverse effects of smoking (if you were formerly a smoker). Carotenoids can repair damaged tissue.

Going back to that little tidbit provided with vitamin A, beta carotenes, Greens actually have high amounts of beta-carotenes. The darker the color of the salad green, the more nutritious it is. Beta-carotene is the chief disease-fighting nutrient found in the darker-colored greens. As an antioxidant, it battles certain cancers, heart disease, and cataracts. A dark-green color also indicates the presence of folic acid, which helps prevent neural-tube birth defects in the beginning stages of pregnancy. Researchers are uncovering other important contributions folic acid has to offer to your well-being, like its role in the prevention of heart disease and inflammation.

“Carotenes are what give orange and yellow vegetables their color. In green vegetables they are masked by the green color of chlorophyll. Animals and humans convert carotenes to vitamin A, but the carotenes themselves have many functions. Beta Carotene, the most active of several carotene compounds has been shown to boost the immune system and to fight against cancer.

We need to get beta carotene from the foods we eat—carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, orange fruits, green leafy vegetables-because synthetic beta carotene has adverse effect when use in human studies. “

“Interestingly, clinical trials have shown that adding salad dressing to a salad not only adds a delicious flavor, but also increases the absorption of certain nutrients being consumed. “It’s not just the leafy greens and vegetables that are doing a body good,” said Arab. “Some fat can also enhance the absorption of nutrients such as lycopene and alpha- and beta-carotene.”

Vitamin C - aids in strengthening the immune system and also helps with collagen production. Beyond that it is essential to your bone health and prevents bruising. It counteracts free radicals and keeps you from disease. In romaine, you get 26.88 mg of vitamin C in one serving. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. In addition to strengthening your immune system, vitamin C is thought to reduce inflammation in the body and increase your pain threshold. This is especially important if you are an athlete and/or suffer from chronic pain.

Folate is a water soluable vitamin in the B family. It helps to process homocysteine which is one of our amino acids. You get over 35% of the recommended folate allowance in one serving of romaine. Folate is important for energy and it also regulates mood. Folate has been implicated in the prevention of neurological disease, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Folate can also decrease depression and anxiety. A deficiency in folate can cause irritability, fatigue, mental confusion and gum disease

You also get B vitamins which aid in lowering cholesterol, improving skin, hair and, nail health. This essential group of vitamins is also key to helping strengthen and protect our nervous system.

Chromium is great for lower blood sugar levels and helps fat digestion. One serving of romaine offers 15mg of chromium.

Phosphorous is abundant in romaine lettuce. It helps our bone development and aids in the processing of calcium. Romaine offers more than 40mg of calcium per serving.

Manganese is a key nutrient and is essential to our body’s ability to process biotin and thiamin. It is vital in the digestion of our fats and plays a role in metabolization of blood glucose levels. One serving of romaine provides .71 mg of this great nutrient!

If you are iron deficient, you will get a small amount, about 1.23 mg, of Iron in one serving.

There is also a special mineral in Romaine, Molybdenum. This gives your cells energy and aids the kidneys in waste elimination. Beyond that it is key to strengthening nerving health.

This vegetable is also an excellent potassium source. Potassium and the fiber content also work to lower blood pressure, thereby easing the workload of the heart. All of that, is complemented by the fiber offered working alone to improve your colon health and, again, reduce cholesterol and regulate blood glucose.

The vitamin K is essential for proper blood clotting.

Saponins are phytochemicals found in leafy green vegetables, like romaine lettuce. Saponins have numerous health benefits including lowering cholesterol and increasing your immune system health. Saponins help to lower cholesterol by removing LDL cholesterol from your intestine and making absorption of cholesterol difficult. Saponins have a special antioxidant-like property which decreases your risk of contracting a parasite infection.

The omega 3 fatty acids help with reducing cholesterol.

In synergy, the vitamins obtained from eating the lettuce will prevent night blindness (Vit. A), wrinkling around the mouth’s edge or angular stomatitis (Vit. B12), anemia (Vit. C), and Beriberi (Vit. B1).

For bone health, romaine lettuce provides 114.80 mcg of Vitamin K and 0.71 mg. of manganese making it an excellent source of the vitamin and mineral. In addition, the presence of 0.08 g of omega 3 fatty acids can help reduce cholesterol levels.

MORE Health Benefits Of Eating Romaine Lettuce
• Romaine lettuce contains vitamin C and beta-carotene, which are highly beneficial for the heart. It prevents the oxidation of cholesterol, which builds up in the artery walls in the form of plaque and blocks off the blood flow. This creates a clot, which leads to heart attack or stroke.
• The lettuce has fiber elements, which help in keeping the digestive system healthy. The fiber in Romaine lettuce adds another plus in its column of heart-healthy effects. It helps in lowering the cholesterol level by helping the body make more bile. It does so by binding to the bile salts in the colon and removing them from the body, which in turn gears up the bile production. This forces the body to make more bile, which is helpful because it must break down cholesterol to do so. This is just one way in which fiber is able to lower high cholesterol levels.
• Romaine lettuce contains folic acid, which is as much beneficial for the heart as vitamin C, Beta-carotene and the fiber elements. It helps the body convert homocysteine into other benign substances. Homocysteine is a dangerous chemical, which if not converted, can directly hamper the blood vessels. This can, in turn, enhance the risk of heart attack.
• The lettuce is rich in potassium, which helps in bringing down high blood pressure, another cause of heart disease.
• Romaine lettuce is extremely helpful in fighting the fatal disease cancer. The American institute for Cancer has listed it in its group of foods that fight cancer.
• Lettuce is beneficial in the treatment of insomnia as it contains a sleep inducing substance.
• Lettuce may also help treat the following problems; acid indigestion, anemia, arthritis, catarrh, circulatory problems, colitis, constipation, cough, diabetes, gastritis, gout, insomnia, irritable bowel, obesity, sexual addiction, stress, tuberculosis, ulcers and urinary tract diseases.
•Romaine is a superfood for your skin because one serving (6 leaves, 85g) provides approximately 100% of your Daily Value of vitamin A and is an excellent source of vitamin C, nutrients that help maintain healthy skin. Studies show vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that encourages skin cell turnover and supports the formation of collagen - the connective tissues that give your skin its elasticity and youthful fullness, while vitamin A helps to maintain the epithelial tissues that make up the skin surface. Also, the provitamin A carotenoid beta-carotene in romaine lettuce may protect the skin against damage from the sun. According to a study published in Free Radical Biology and Medicine, beta-carotene inhibited collagen breakdown and defended epithelial cells against the kind of ultraviolet radiation that can lead to wrinkles and age spots.

Something to keep in mind, while romaine provides the greater spectrum of nutrients, Iceberg lettuce provides a good source of choline. So, mix up those salads with a little of each variety of lettuce to really get the greatest benefits from your lettuce.

A final note, It is also important to know that the outer leaves may contain fifty times more nutrients than the stem, so eat everything.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-08-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #186  

Thanks for the pdf's I'm new to IP and these are awesome!
Mama Bird
Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #187  

Default Omelet sticking to pan

Hey all,
I just started IP this week. I've been making the egg omelet in the AM. But it keeps sticking to my pan.
What can I use that's permitable under the diet that will help it not stick?
My thoughts were Smart Balance 'butter', but I'm not sure if that goes against the diet?

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #188  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymooser View Post
Hey all,
I just started IP this week. I've been making the egg omelet in the AM. But it keeps sticking to my pan.
My thoughts were Smart Balance 'butter', but I'm not sure if that goes against the diet?

Any ideas?
This will vary by coach. My coach was ok with a little pam spray, or using some olive oil in a mist can, or using a little coconut oil or olive oil (about 1tsp) to melt in the pan. He was NOT ok with butter or margarine. If we add anything it should be oil.

Also, remember to keep the temperature low to avoid destroying the protein and to avoid frying. Frying is not allowed on this plan.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 08-19-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #189  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
This will vary by coach. My coach was ok with a little pam spray, or using some olive oil in a mist can, or using a little coconut oil or olive oil (about 1tsp) to melt in the pan. He was NOT ok with butter or margarine. If we add anything it should be oil.

Also, remember to keep the temperature low to avoid destroying the protein and to avoid frying. Frying is not allowed on this plan.
Out of curiosity, do you know why frying is not allowed?

Sauteing is ok, correct?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #190  

Quote:
Hey all,

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplus80 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know why frying is not allowed?

Sauteing is ok, correct?

I honestly don't "know". It is on my initial paperwork I received in my Ideal Protein packet so, I have followed it.

I have heard the following statements from my coach and others.

- to really fry something you use too much oil or would be tempted to use too much oil and it would add too much fat to our diet

- frying destroys the nutritional quality of the food.

-frying breaks down the fiber and releases sugars in onion and sweet peppers

They all make sense to me if you think about it so, I didn't argue. I just followed the instructions!

I hope I am not following blindly!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #191  

How many carbs am I actually getting on the IP diet?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #192  

Quote:
Hey all,

Any ideas?
When I cook the IP omelet in a pan on the stove I use a bit of extra virgin olive oil. However, I also sometimes cook it in the microwave...2 minutes in a microwave-saft bowl or mug and it's delish!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 324.4/277.6/180

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanna View Post
Cute name!!

I like to make the vanilla pudding with about 8 oz of cold water and give it a good shake. Then I pour it in to a big coffee mug (like a friends coffeehouse sized mug) and heat it up for about a minute before topping it up with coffee & a splash of french vanilla sugar free divinci syrup.

It's frothy and rich and tastes like a cafe au lait! - I have it every morning!
that sounds amazing! I must try that!! I like to take the Vanilla Pudding and grate some cauliflower and steam it for about 5 minutes (just until it is the same tenderness as rice) then add cinnamon and some stevia and voila "rice" pudding.... sooo good!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #194  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetstina View Post
When I cook the IP omelet in a pan on the stove I use a bit of extra virgin olive oil. However, I also sometimes cook it in the microwave...2 minutes in a microwave-saft bowl or mug and it's delish!
Good idea! That might even be faster since I do get up at 4am! Cooking in the skillet requires so much more time. Blah
Old 08-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #195  
dyechick

S/C/G: 178/165/130

Height: 5'

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrab View Post
iI have 2 questions that maybe someone has answers to...

1 - i was told by my coach that the IP rep told her directly that we were allowed to go over on the 2 cup veggie serving, but they do not want us going under that amount. on this site , people have said otherwise. does anyone know? i do tend to go over now and then.

2 - we were specifically told to use coconut oil for frying...reasoning being that olive oil goes rancid when heated to high degrees. they even sell the coconut at our oulet for frying purposes. noone else seems to have heard this information....

if anyone can shed some light , i would be grateful!
Coconut oil is fine if you can find it but an alternative would be grapeseed oil as it has a high heat tolerance,

You can go over on your veggies, it's better than eating something you are not suppose to.
Closed Thread