General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 09:36 AM   #16  

Good Morning, day three - 167.8 Okay where are these recipes that you all are talking about? I haven't received my book yet, are they in there? I'm missing my whole wheat bread and yogurt, sniff, sniff. This is going to be a long two weeks..........

They didn't remove the breathing tube yesterday, I tried talking to DS yesterday at noon, but he's so worn out that I couldn't get any information from him. He left going back to the hospital before I got home from work. Guess him being unemployed has at least been a help with staying close to the hospital. He was going to go to the schools yesterday and sign up to sub, but bless his heart, he's wiped out.

Nothing much going on, it seems to be raining everyday. We got 3 inches of rain,at our house, yesterday and just a few miles away they got six. Corn farmers are trying to harvest their corn, so another set back.

Chow.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #17  

Hello to everyone!

I DID A 5K WALK THIS MORNING! YAHOOOO Now I know I will be able to do the race in October with no problem. DD had the wrong race and finally found the race for the cure one that we are SUPPOSED to be in and it is Oct 25. I even have a couple hills to climb this morning and it is really humid and muggy and was sprinkling rain a little.

Boy sounds like everyone is busy. Bright, I will trade puppy for cat! I hope to get the sanding and painting done on the ceiling today so he won't "recognize" the spot he tore down anymore, but we shall see. Oh and thanks for the compliment. Most people think my dh is a lot younger than I when in reality he is 4 years older. I don't feel 50 (well occasionally it creeps up on me! ) I guess it is just that half century thing and the fact that everywhere I turn I find people who could be my children!

I better run as I want to get in a pool workout before the sky opens up, but when has that ever stopped me right?

Faye
Old 09-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #18  
Long Lost Chickie

I'm with Semo. Quiche cups? Ricottas?

Can someone post these wonderful sounding recipes?
Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM   #19  

Jello, I saw the quiche cup recipe on the low carb/fat chicks on a beach/recipe thread. I think maybe the riccotas might be at the Prevention website. I haven't tried either one yet.
I have had cottage cheese with splenda and cinnamon.

No dream chef showed up to buy my groceries, so I had to do it.
Now, in the exciting life I lead, I'm wait'n for the grass to dry so I can mow. It's rained for three days straight and no sunshine today...I may be waiting a long time.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #20  

OK Recipes first -

Sassy! Thank you for the hand mixer idea. DH and I were thinking that it would be MORE good if it was smoooooth. I made the mocha ricotta last night. I was decadent and I put 5 actual chocolate chips instead of 5 mini chips on top - because they were what I had. I was going to put 3... because they're bigger... but DH said NO, it says 5 and I want 5!!! LOL. more about him later.

And I *was* sort of thinking to myself, "Self, if I doubled everything in this quiche recipe except the spinach, and added a little ham or smoked turkey, and filled the cups more full... it would be more eggy... and more food." So I like your modifications. I don't mind the spinach, but there is almost more spinach than egg. They're tasty enough though.

UNMODIFIED Recipes as they appear in the book... according to my memory, ha. I'm 93% sure they are accurate.

Mocha Ricotta Creme

1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 packet of Splenda (or whatever sugar substitute you like)
Stir... or blend with your hand mixer!
Top with a dusting of espresso powder and 5 mini chocolate chips
Serve cold
*my tip - since the ricotta package is close enough to 2 cups, I just make 4 at once to use up the ricotta and portion them in dessert cups.

Quiche Cups (to go, if you want)

1 10-oz package frozen, chopped spinach (thaw on your counter or microwave on high for 2.5 minutes to thaw and DRAIN)
3/4 c. egg beaters (or what have you)
3/4 c. shredded or grated reduced fat cheese
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
3 drops of hot pepper sauce
mix all together

Line 12 muffin cups with TIN liners, spray the liners with cooking spray and fill with the above mixture. Bake at 350 deg for 20 min or until a knife comes out clean. Serves 6?

Last edited by Cafe976; 09-03-2003 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #21  

1 more recipe which is a Chinese dish that I make which seems Phase 1 appropriate:

Bang-Bang Chicken

In your wok, wok shaped fry pan or plain ol' big fry pan
saute in 1-2 Tbsp peanut oil:

1 big chicken breast cut into pieces (split breasts I use 2?)
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1 scallion cut on the diagonal into 1" pieces

stir fry until chicken is just done. add sauce:

1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar

let the sauce simmer for 5 min. add vegetables:

2 cups broccoli florets (1 bunch of fresh broccoli)
1 cucumber, sliced (I peel and cut legthwise, remove seeds to make canoes, then slice into 1/2 inch C-shaped pieces)

Cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Mmmm. Who needs rice?

My tip: I like to stir fry somewhere close to medium high heat, and this recipe is done quick when you do that, but you have to have your ingredients prepped before hand. You could turn down the heat and simmer the veggies with the lid on if that's your style - whatever works.

I guess street vendors in China sell this and attract customers by banging sticks together - hence the name.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:02 PM   #22  

I got my book in the mail today, now I just want to go home and read it! Excited about a diet, who whould have ever thunk!

Okay, sooooo your supposed to have 1/2 cup of veggies for breakfast, what are ya'll eating? Mushrooms are the only thing that has come to mind that I might be able to do that early.

Back to work. OBTW, thanks for the recipes.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #23  

Mowing break.
Semo, I have been having mushrooms and tomato juice in the morning. Today, I actually had some tomato wedges with my feta cheese mushroom omlet.
Back to the mowing...
Old 09-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #24  
Long Lost Chickie

So Tiger, how's 'bout them frogs???

Guess where I'm just back from? Curves!! Two new machines but I mastered them quickly. Felt so good to be back!

Cafe, thanks for the recipes. Makin' my mouth water here.

And speaking of that, I'm off to think about dinner. What do I want? What do I want? What do I want?

More importantly, what should I eat? What should I eat....?
Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #25  

Tiger - feta cheese mushroom omlette.... Mmmmm. with sauteed onions?

Dang it, I forgot to have veggies this a.m.! DH made basted eggs (like a cross between frying and poaching?) and turkey bacon. He put a tiny bit of H&H in my coffee but we forgot to pour the V8. He *did * use the smart spread instead of butter, which I consider a victory.

Anyway...

WTG, Faye on being ready for your 5K walk way early! I wasn't thinking of you as someone in TRAINING. I hope you're taking your anti-oxidants. When my husband was training for his first marathon, he was told that anti-oxidants are a must to help flush out the free radicals generated during dramatic increase in activity.

Bright - nice to 'see' you. Whatever you're doing, bottle it and sell it if you're still losing.

Sassy - congrats on your loss, too.

Annex - I will NOT call you Annie, now that I know you're a GUY! Wahoo! A male! Sorry, late to the party.

DNW - I'm glad to hear you're not going to dismember any critters ...this year.

Jello - back atcha with the mouth watering - that veggie pizza sounds awesome. WTG on your return to Curves!!! Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dropping in from home, which is not like me, because I was lookin at my SoB book tonite and noticed that I made one little mistake on the amount of vanilla in the mocha ricotta. I fixed it above!! all else is correct~~~ off to experiment with the quiches, since DH polished the rest off on his way to class today! He didn't cheat today at all, btw, even tho he chose his own food, and he's very proud~~~oh yeah, me too. day two, in the bag!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Cafe976; 09-03-2003 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #26  
I'm back again

Hi all,

Just popped in to Print recipes (Thanks, Cafe!)

Still researching the SBD---found quite a few articles to explain it. Probably will start over the weekend since 1rst few days are supposed to be the most difficult. Sounds like most of you all are doing fine so far---good to know that.

Talk to you later---time for bed. I'm beat!

Bright
Old 09-03-2003, 11:52 PM   #27  

Hi all!

If you go to prevention.com (message boards-south beach diet), there are lots of recipes and handy hints there-many more than the book gives.

That chicken dish sounds absolutely yummy!! I'll have to try it!

Today I cooked up pumpkin with spices and then when it was done put about 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1/4-1/2 cup ricotta in and mixed-YUMMY pumpkin pie!

Semo: I don't go by the portion amounts you mentioned, but usually I have veggies in an omelet, (using leftovers if I can), and/or a glass of V-8 juice, yesterday I had cottage cheese with cinnamon and splenda for breakfast,(not too appealing to the eyes i must say but yummy! Feta on scrambled eggs is one of my favorites!

gma2one: great job with the 5k! How is the gazelle going? Do you still enjoy it?

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 09-04-2003, 08:14 AM   #28  
Long Lost Chickie

OK, you guys, knock it off with the recipes!! You're killin' those of us non-cooking types. Just kidding. Maybe I'll learn something. Like how to turn on the oven???

Meanwhile ... 182.4 this morning!!! Moving right along here. Wish I could keep up this pace! Poor little treadmill is currently buried under debris so looks like I'll have to put on clothes before I go for my walk.

Did I tell you guys about my li'l pink room drama? AFTER I got it all painted and "purty" Rich decided we should replace the windows. So OK, I found a lovely border to put around the new windows to cover the cracks and plaster spillage, etc. THEN he decides we should have put in new insulation in the walls. We got the blow-in kind. Sounded easy.

Wasn't.

Now we've got about 80 4-inch holes in all three rooms upstairs and dust and crud and everywhere. Oh, this house better be darn warm and toasty this winter!!!

Oh sure. And me with my all new hot flashes.....

There is good news. I get to try some all new decorating and painting techniques ... once the clean up is over ... in about ... oh weeks ... months .....

Gotta go. Off to the Home Depot for more spackle. Just what every gal wants.

Hm, but first a stop at prevention.com. Thanks Sassy. Maybe I'm not too old to learn something...
Old 09-04-2003, 09:06 AM   #29  

Howdy!
Today's weigh-in was a surprise. 194. I'm happy with that after the big blueberry blunder.
Has anyone seen the new EZ marinade? It comes in a zip lock bag! What a good idea! I know, I get excited over stupid stuff. Unfortunately, it has fructose in it. But, I'm using it. Jack Daniels Mesquite. I figure by time it's grilled, I wont be getting much of the "fructose".

Cafe, thanks for the recipes. I'm gonna have to try the bang bang and I have a large container of ricotta ready to go.

Semo, did you get to start reading your book?

Jello, back to curves! That's great. Now that my kids are in school full time, I should check out curves. I'm just not sure about driving to town for it this winter. Country roads...

HEY! to everyone else! I'm off to fix breakfast.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:43 AM   #30  

Good Morning.......... one more day until the weekend.....but who's counting!

Day four of South Beach - back to 168.0 didn't cheat, probably the peanuts I ate late last night. Made the quiche last night, a little too much spinach for me and I forgot to add salt and pepper, but still pretty good, had two for breakfast.

Faye, WTG Girl, PM me info and I'll make a donation for your run.

DNW, how's the back? Glad that you don't have to think about the kitty thing, for now anyway.

We went to the hospital last night so just barely started reading the SoBeach book before I got to sleepy. Can't wait to get out of Phase I, only 10 more days. I'm not really expecting a huge loss since I've sort of been doing Phase II type eating with the SugarBusters.

Boss, just gave me a BIG OLD LIST of things to do, this always happens when he goes to those sales meetings............ Back later.
Closed Thread