General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:37 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good for you on breaking the night time snacking habit, and in most cases, that's what it is, not true hunger. I still do it occasionally and am also working on breaking the habit. My problem is mostly eating because others are eating instead of when I am truly hungry. When DH was in the hospital I did no evening snacking at all.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #227  

SouthernMaven :

I am so so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I haven' been here in ages. SouthernMaven, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious daughter. I remember after my uncle died years ago that my grandmother would always say "No parent should have to out live their children". She had such a difficult getting used to him being gone. My prayers are with you and your family.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #229  

I have been gone for quite a while. I kind of strayed from some of my intuitive eating principles and my clothes started getting a bit tighter so I have been working on coming back to the IE principles.

One thing I struggle with and have always been REALLY resistant to is mindful eating. Out of all the IE principles, eating while doing nothing else has been almost agonizing to try to do. Also eating slowly and savoring my meal. However, I realize as technology takes over our world, I want to be a good example for my kids. I don't want them to see mommy wolfing food down mindlessly as she stares at a device. Yikes. If anyone ever watches youtubers " a day in the life" type videos. It always shows them eating their meals either watching something on TV, working on their computers, or watching videos on their phone or computer. It is kind of a jolt of reality for me to see that.

So, I finally have my motivation for mindful eating and I have been working on that.

I realized that a long time ago I somehow conquered eating after dinner. That was so hard for me for many years and it was a real struggle to overcome. Now I don't even think about food after dinner and sometimes desert.

Is anyone still around? We had such a good thing going... 6 years ago.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #230  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello. I was hoping someone would come back to this thread! Welcome back. I struggle with mindful eating too, not eating fast, just eating without thinking about eating, if that makes sense. Hubby and I sit for supper and talk about our day so we eat and talk, and it's hard to keep mindful while catching up on our day, but I do try. Hopefully one day I will be able to do both at the same time. I do struggle with snacks after supper, but I found this "candy" called Meal Enders, It is has a light chocolate covering and then a cinnamon type flavor hard candy underneath, I take one after supper and let it melt slowly and it usually takes care of the sweet craving after supper. Have a blessed day.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #231  

TamTam!

I am so happy to see you! Thank you! Yes mindful eating is a challenge for sure! I have been doing pretty good today, eating slowly and eating without reading. I timed my average meal last week and it was Seven minutes! I have been trying to stretch it to 20, but really only been able to get it to 15 minutes. Progress.

I have been going through and reading our old intuitive eating threads. There is so much wisdom from the personal journeys and realizations that we were all going through there. I am so glad to see one of the members from the intuitive eating threads. I will try to post in here more often, maybe it will help others who end up reading our old threads as well.

Glad you are doing well. Meal Enders sounds pretty useful for an after-dinner sweet taste.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-09-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #232  
I am more than weight.

At home eating for 20 minutes is attainable, but at work it is not always. I am almost always able to eat more mindfully at work, but not at home. It is all so crazy. But I try and do the best I can under both circumstances. Having boiled crawfish tonight, that takes a while to eat since you have to peel them, but it is harder for portion control per se. Anyway have a blessed day.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #233  

True, TamTam. I have the luxury right now of not working. It is pretty hard to have a long leisurely lunch in the middle of the workday. I have never had boiled crawfish before, I have heard they are good.

I am going to start reading my old intuitive eating books again, and refresh myself. Like I mentioned, I have left some of the principles behind.

Do you have a favorite IE book TamTam? I hope you are having a good day!
Old 05-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #234  
I am more than weight.

My favorite IE book is the Overfed Head. It is so simple to read, not a lot of science talk, just plain and simple. Of course putting into practice is a whole different story! Have a blessed day.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #235  

TamTam, thanks for the recommendation! I haven't read that in several years, but I know I have the PDF on my kindle. I will go read it again. I do remember that as being good.

Today I had a delicious dinner and was speedily wolfing it down when I remembered about 3/4 of the way through that I am trying to eat slowly. ooops! I have been doing very well with lunch but dinnertime is so distracting. I think maybe I will put a reminder to slow down on my phone since we always have dinner around the same time.

Hope your day went well!

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-13-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #236  
Nearly Fat Boy

Bruh
PageUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #237  
I am more than weight.

I did good this weekend. Hubby and I work every Saturday and then we go eat out for date night at a wonderful little seafood restaurant. I had small salad, fried catfisth and onion rings and a glass of wine, it was so good considering they had been shut down for this crazy virus nightmare. Sundays tend to be bad days for me when in comes to eating. I tend to have high blood sugars on Monday because we tend to snack around most of the day and evening, I snacked but did not over do and my blood sugar was not great, but not as bad as it usually is so that is a plus. We were up at 4:15am and I did one lap around my street, one lap for me is good, will need to build up to more, will try 1 1/2 tomorrow. Have a blessed day.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #238  

That is so nice you got to have date night with hubby. I have missed eating out quite a bit. That is great you got a lap in as well. 4:15 is early!!

I am still working on slowing down and eating to satisfaction. I notice if I manage to slow down or do something in the middle of my meal and then come back to it, that I am fuller than I thought I was. Still working on it!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #239  
I am more than weight.

My eating yesterday was nothing to be proud of! Did okay for breakfast and lunch. Did not eat anything all afternoon (was hungry but did not eat) and for a diabetic that is not good! Then last night after supper ate 3 cookies AND an ice cream sandwich, the sad part is I am not crazy about the cookies or the ice cream sandwich, maybe it was because I did not neat enough that I ate it, I have no idea. Anyway I still need LOTS of work We go walk that early because after we shower and then have our morning meeting with Jesus and Coffee and then we have to drive an hour to get to work and there are times that the traffic can be pretty bad also we do try and make morning Mass before we open the shops.. Have a blessed day. I have the overfed head on audio CD, think I will go listen to some of it.

Last edited by TamTam; 05-20-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #240  

wow you are dedicated to get up so early for all that! That is neat that you walk with your husband too.

Sorry to hear your eating wasn't what you wanted it to be. I have read and noticed for myself that when I am REALLY hungry, what I crave are sweet things or things with lots of fat or both. I think it's a physiological response that our bodies want high-calorie things when they are really hungry to survive. And going for a period of time being super hungry can really activate those cravings.

I didn't know that overfed head was on audio cd, that sounds like a great way to get the information in your head more firmly.

I have been still working on slowing down and I am having a little more success. I am also working on waiting until I am hungry to eat, and stopping at satisfied, not full like I feel the food in my stomach. This is something I have never been able to do before. It's only been a few days but so far so good.

Have a great day today, and remember to take care of yourself by honoring your hunger!