General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #181  

Keep up the good work.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thanks Carolr. I went out for breakfast with Daddy and DS and DH this morning. DH isn't usually up to go with us. My DS and I usually go out 3 days a week to get our Daddy out of the house and we usually go to Whataburger. But my nephew had come to town to see Daddy last night and stayed late so Daddy had over slept. Whataburger doesn't serve breakfast after 11 am so we decided to go to Denny's. I have to tell I really enjoyed my breakfast now that I am doing IE.

I ate exactly what I wanted, but didn't feel like I had to eat it all and didn't feel guilty about the amount I ate. There was a time that I would have asked for sugar free, but not today. Another surprise is that what I ate didn't trigger a binge either. I really believe that I am really ready for IE this time. Already know what I want when I do get hungry later unless it changes and I might not want anything.

I suddenly feel like I'm eating like I saw DH DD eat when she lived with us. We would take her and her family out to eat and she would eat exactly what she wanted to eat and she ate as much as she wanted. She didn't seem to feel pressured to eat a certain amount. I think that is how normal people eat. I like feeling normal. I just hope I can keep up this feeling.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 153/150/138

Height: 5' 2.5"

I've been struggling not to track my food. I'm finding it an extremely difficult habit to break...it might sound pathetic, but I've been tracking what I eat every single day since 2006. Crazy, right? If I manage to skip a day, then the next day I'm back at it, trying to remember exactly what I ate the day before.
With these apps and online trackers, it's pretty easy to just put it in....
(I think joining Weight Watchers back in the 90's started it all!) Anyway, today is the first day of not doing it. I'll have to try not to do it tomorrow, too!
And of course, I was practicing eating mindfully, as well. I feel like it went pretty good.
Miss Fitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #184  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Fitt View Post
I've been struggling not to track my food. I'm finding it an extremely difficult habit to break...it might sound pathetic, but I've been tracking what I eat every single day since 2006. Crazy, right? If I manage to skip a day, then the next day I'm back at it, trying to remember exactly what I ate the day before.
With these apps and online trackers, it's pretty easy to just put it in....
(I think joining Weight Watchers back in the 90's started it all!) Anyway, today is the first day of not doing it. I'll have to try not to do it tomorrow, too!
And of course, I was practicing eating mindfully, as well. I feel like it went pretty good.
Miss Fitt: I understand where you are coming from. I started writing down what I eat daily since sometime in the 1970s. It has taken me a long time of coming in and out of IE trying to lose a lot of those diet habits and diet thinking. I hope I've got it this time, but I never know how it is going to go. However, I do keep trying.

Just be patient with yourself. That is what I'm trying to do. Good luck on your IE Journey.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #185  

Thanks, Pattygirl63 - That's the main thing: keep trying. Wow, you've been food journaling since the 70's on and off? I guess there's a lot of people out there doing it, though. It's like we think if we don't track everything we eat, something bad will happen (like gain weight)....but that's been happening regardless. I got a fitbit in 2014, and most days I eat more than I burn. I suppose that is the problem. But, then again, how much faith should we put in this technology?

Yes, trying to turn off the diet thinking is really difficult when it's absolutely everywhere - the news, TV ads, books, people....

Anyhow, all we can do is try to stay on our journeys for ourselves.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM   #186  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Ah faith in technology! The thing about that is being precise on your estimates....or overestimate your intake and underestimate your burn if you want to see quicker and truer results. I do use a chest strap HRM when I exercise (when I exercised....haha) and I would subtract a number of calories based on my Basil Metabolic Rate. Which I calculated at about a 70 calorie per hour number and that's just what you would burn sitting in a chair or sleeping. As for food if you are not weighing it you have to be careful that you could be guesstimating wrong, and I have found that even prepackaged food like canned green beans or oysters are actually a lot less sometimes in weight (which they are screwing us over!). Eating healthy foods is easy. Eating the right amount for weight loss is a pure struggle!!!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #187  

Yes, and the food labels: there was a piece in the news that the nutritional info labels are up to 20% off, meaning they aren't accurate at all. Same with restaurant nutritional info...and it's usually more calories, not less!

I noticed with my fitbit tracker, too, when I dried my hair yesterday morning, it thought I did 90 steps. Also, when I fold towels, it thinks I'm doing steps and credits me with active minutes. So, yeah, I take it all with a grain of salt. It looks good "on paper" as they say, but I know it's not all true.

All that said, I'm still using the darn thing.....
Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Miss Fitt, I also use a Fitbit. I am aware that is just an inexpensive gadget and has it's limitations. But IMO it is not a pedometer, but an activity tracker. It tracks all your activities but the only way it can record them is with steps. Whether you are drying your hair or folding towels, that is activity. The calorie burn is just an estimate, because it's based on information you entered into it, and we are all individual. It's a good place to start!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #189  

Carol - You are so right...I never thought of it as an activity tracker in that way; but yes, folding towels and drying hair is activity! I feel so much better now.
Thanks for that!

My husband jokingly calls it cheating, but it's not really, is it? I'm still moving about (while he's sitting in his chair, lol!).

I'm pretty much addicted to my fitbit. It only comes off when I have a shower, or when it needs to be charged.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 PM   #190  

Well, I'm so fed up with everything. Today, I quit tracking my food, threw out a bunch of dieting books and that's it for me. This past week, I just couldn't stop tracking, thinking, reading - all diet related. I found an old WW booklet with what I had eaten and how much I weighed (from 13 years ago) and that set me off. The thing is, I wasn't even overweight back then. I was 120 lbs, and wanted to get down to 108. Now I realize how ridiculous it was for me to even be dieting then.
Sorry, I just had to vent....
Old 01-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #191  

Default Exhausted

Good info on here great deal.
Lucky1456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #192  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Having such a hard time. Re-reading the Overfed Head. Trying to get my diabetes numbers better AND Intuitive Eating but it is not easy. It's like you have to play both sides of the fence. Gotta watch and balance the carbs, fats and proteins, but trying to eat what you are hungry for. I don't want my meds to be increased nor do I want to go on insulin. Very frustrated!
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Tam Tam, my opinion of Intuitive Eating is that it is meant to help with binge eating. So, if you eat what you are hungry for you are more likely to be satisfied. Sometimes you can eat what you think you should be eating but it doesn't satisfy your craving, so you continue eating other things and never getting satisfied. Having diabetes puts a different spin on it because there are a lot of foods you can't eat and still have good blood sugar readings. This is where I think modification comes into play and is necessary for a diabetic.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #194  

Things seemed to be going along fine, until DH called me fat. Probably joking, but it's no laughing matter.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:15 AM   #195  
banned

Default Dont eat when are stress!

Dont eat when are stress!
tWhitsunday is offline   Reply With Quote