General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Feeling really good this morning. Yesterday I successfully completed the first of my Low Calorie Days -- my plan is that I will aim for 500 calories, twice a week. I wasn't sure how hungry I would get but wanted to try it. I had braised onion and zucchini for breakfast, about 2 cups of green bean salad for lunch, and a half order of Denny's apple cranberry chicken salad for dinner. I was NOT overly hungry during the day and this morning my weight had taken a very nice downward dip so I will definitely be repeating this next week.

Thought I'd share a link to a recipe for what looks like a very yummy crockpot chicken & black bean taco salad. I haven't tried it yet as we went out to a Mexican restaurant just a couple days ago, but it's going on my list of Recipes to Try.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/04/e...bean.html#more

IdealProteinNewbie, I am definitely going to try your idea with the okra -- esp. since you added that you use frozen okra. I have occasionally seen fresh okra in our store here but I think frozen okra is available most of the time. I'm going to add it to my list and look for it.

Last edited by ladynredd; 05-10-2014 at 01:00 PM.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #182  
Excavation in Progress

S/C/G: 215/*ticker*/135

Height: 5' nothing

Sorry that I've been gone so long. Lots of happenings around here and lots of stress. The one good thing is that I have not gained weight. I have also maintained a healthy perspective.

My husband, 14 yo son and I are preparing for a month-long trip next week. This will be our first trip without our 20yo son as he has to work (feels so wrong to go without him). First stop is my graduation in NYC (MA TESOL - basically Masters in every acronym of ESL) and then on to 3 weeks on the French Riviera in an apartment-hotel. This will offset some of the food cost and help me to keep control by cooking at home some of the time. It's our 20th anniversary tour (20th was last year) and to scout out places we want to rent for a a few mos out of the year every now and again. Cheaper to rent an apartment than hotel. We've already scoped out places in Hong Kong and Thailand. This is why we chose to rent all these years. After husband working 7 days/wk and me round the clock for almost 2 years, we need this.

So, I should return with lots of great, healthy recipes to share as I always keep a food journal when I travel. Lots of walking and healthy eating ahead. However, I will need to really plan ahead for the cheese and wine tours. lol

Larry: I'm so sorry to read this. At least you are aware of it so that you understand how to deal with it. Sending you all the best vibes from the Universe your way ------------->

Munchy: Sending good-feeling vibes your way ------------> Your Mexican Spaghetti sounds so good! I am a huge neufchatel fan.

Lady: Isn't that carrot soup faboo?! I reduced even more cals. by using PB2 (dried, low-fat peanut butter). Munch knows her soups! "zoodles" love it. I am totally putting your crock-pot recipe on my meal plan this week.

Dodge: Volumetrics principles just fit right into healthy eating. It has become so natural for me with Weight Watchers.

Last edited by archychick; 05-11-2014 at 02:46 PM.
archychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #183  

I'm going to have to look for that PB2. Several of my favorite recipes call for peanut butter and it ought to work fine.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I've made probably 50 recipes off of Gina's site (skinnytaste.com) and they all come out amazing. I actually have some fresh fish that I need to cook today and I'm making her broiled tilapia with tomato caper sauce - it's one of my favorites for probably four years now!

Is PB2 sweetened? I was hoping to get unsweetened peanut flour (TJ used to sell it) but I can only find it online. Maybe I'll check out Whole Foods too.

Today's plan:
May 12, 2014
B: Hot tea w/lemon and agave (30), 2 egg white ham muffins (80) = 110 (2.5)
S: 1 cup whole strawberries (50) = 50 (1)
L: White turkey chili (228) = 228 (4)
S: Baby carrots/cherry tomato (50) w/ light ranch (80) = 130 (2)
D: Broiled tilapia with tomato caper sauce (256), 1 cup green beans (35), 7g Kerrygold butter (50) = 341 (6)
S: None = 0
TOTAL: 859 (15.5)
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #185  
Excavation in Progress

I get PB2 in my grocery store. It comes in plain and chocolate. I read that the plain has roasted peanuts, sugar (1g) and salt. I don't believe that it is non-GMO or organic if that is important to you.

I have added WW Chilled Green Gazpacho to my repertoire. I omitted the bread to make it veg-only and 1 pt/serv. The richness isn't affected at all. The recipe from the Simply Delicious Cookbook that I use, uses watercress in lieu of lettuce, doesn't use grapes and adds parsley, cilantro and a jalapeno.

Munchy: I'm making a Putanesca sauce this week and hadn't thought about adding fish to it. What a great addition!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #186  

S/C/G: 172/168/125

Height: 5'3

I began adding more veggies to my evening meals and it certainly helps a lot. It lets you feel much fuller without adding the fat and calories of some other food choices.
DodgeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #187  
Excavation in Progress

Dodge: Yes, and I feel better after pumping myself up with vegetables, especially greens. Are you finding the same?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #188  

Quote:
Originally Posted by archychick View Post
Munchy: I'm making a Putanesca sauce this week and hadn't thought about adding fish to it. What a great addition!
Oh yeah - that would be great! Or just the fish with the puttanesca spooned over the top. Mmm!

I didn't end up making the tilapia because my fish went bad. I bought it on a whim then ran out all day Saturday and didn't have a chance to cook it. After brunch on Sunday morning, we didn't eat anything else, so by Monday it was just no good. At least it was on special so it wasn't pricey at all.

I ended up making a HUGE wrap with my new low calorie gluten free wraps. I missed wraps so much! GF wrap (110), chicken thigh (110), 2T light mayo (60), 1T Dijon/picamas (5), broccoli slaw (10) = 295 (6)

Today I plan to have some zoodles with marinara since I have about 4 in my fridge right now and marinara that needs to be eaten.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #189  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Munchy sent me over here. I've seen the word "volumetrics" but didn't know what it was. Posting so I'll remember to come back and check it out. I'm really mostly interested in getting more vegetables (and less calorie-dense meat) in the diet of my picky-eating boyfriend, which would in turn allow me to eat more veggies. My diet has changed a bit because of him.

Looks like I already kind of practice this in my own eating within 5:2, especially on my 500 calorie days where I try to get the best bang for my buck in terms of food. I am currently obsessed with zoodles
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #190  

Welcome! I definitely get my boyfriend and my six year old eating a lot of vegetables because they're in everything. Both of them have their favorites (turkey/zucchini meatballs and chicken/squash nuggets) which I cook and freeze on weekends for them to have anytime during the week.

Luckily I've always fed my daughter this way, so she gets excited when she finds out that she's eating something different and really enjoys it (like the spinach and chia in her smoothies) - probably because I praise her so much for it LOL.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #191  

We just had mushroom/spinach/turkey burgers with baked curly sweet potato fries. The boyfriend and I also had them topped with sautéed mushroom and onion and fried peppers. Mine was wrapped in lettuce. Delicious meal for a warm day!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #192  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Munchy: Did you see my post about okra on the previous page?
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Munchy: Did you see my post about okra on the previous page?
I'm so glad you pointed it out because I did miss it! Roasting sounds delicious! My ex husband used to like when I breaded and pan fried them served with a spicy mayo, but I'm all about trying them roasted. I have some in my freezer right now
Old 05-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #194  

S/C/G: 172/168/125

Height: 5'3

archychick: I definitely feel better loading up on vegetables, rather than eating a small portion of something dense with calories. I've started eating things like strawberries and carrots for snacks more often as well. I'm feeling much better than I was a few days ago...already a little less lazy
DodgeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #195  

Today was my "official" weigh-in day and I was pleased to see another loss show up, a little less than 2 lbs. Eating that elephant one bite at a time ...

I must share a small NSV (non scale victory.) My husband was gone from the house Wed. night -- his mom had some outpatient surgery and he had to spend the night at her house. In the past this would have been my excuse to indulge in some very unhealthy eating. This time, however, I made sure I shopped for my healthy food ahead of time (he had the car) and that night I had a huge shrimp & crab salad for dinner, foods I don't usually buy since he doesn't enjoy them. Amazing how fast a shift can occur in our thinking ...