General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Munchy Do you restrict sodium? The only reason I ask is I see you wan't to increase your potassium. I am using a salt substitute for cooking called "AlsoSalt" It is sodium free and the only substitute I have ever found that tastes like salt and has no metallic after taste. It is Potassium and L-lysine so would help with your potassium levels. Fish tacos with spinach sounds great. I love fish and spinach.
What kind of fish are you using?
I don't restrict sodium, but I probably should. I love salt entirely too much! I take l-lysine to offset arginine, but I would absolutely use alsosalt. I'll look for it next time I go grocery shopping.

To make the tartar sauce, mix two tablespoons of light mayo, a squeeze of lemon juice, some cracked black pepper, and either relish or chopped pickles. I've been using spicy pickles from a Philadelphia co-op for this.

Then, pan sear 3-4 oz of any white fish (I always have frozen tilapia filets on hand). You can use cajun seasoning, adobo, salt and pepper or whatever you'd like on the fish. One at a time in a dry pan, heat each side of two corn tortillas until pliable.

Top each warm tortilla with 1/2 of your tartar sauce, then top with shredded cabbage, any lettuce, or spinach. Optional toppings include cilantro and pickled jalapeno, which make the tacos for me. Then top with fish, roll and devour.

PIC HERE and it's only 270 calories for both tacos!

Last edited by Munchy; 02-10-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Munchy The picture of your fish tacos look really delicious. I also use frozen Tilapia a lot but lately I have developed a taste for Swai. I usually place the still frozen fillets of Swai in a pan with a light spray of PAM and cook them slowly at about 300 degrees . I use Old Bay seasoning on them very liberally. I love the flavor of Old Bay. I will have to try them with corn tortillas tarter, shredded cabbage and spinach.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #33  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Deb- thank you! Cabbage sounds great and much easier than cutting the zucchini lengthwise for lasagna!

Munchy- Thanks so much for sharing your tartar sauce recipe. Sounds easy enough to make! The fish tacos sound really good. I usually make those during the summer as I love/prefer grilled fish but now seeing the picturs, I may just make them for dinner tomorrow night! Thanks again.

Tonight's dinner was a large chicken salad with spinach, romaine lettuce, little less than 1 oz shredded cheese, 1 oz crushed lime tortilla chips, dollop of Greek yogurt, a little bit of chunky salsa and some lime juice. Yum!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #34  

Larry Swai would work just as well! I hope you try it - it tastes so rich, but it's super healthy.

Amandie Your dinner sounds awesome! I have some baby kale and baby spinach that I need to use up, so maybe I'll make a chicken salad tonight.

Going to the gym after work then getting dinner ready, the little one bathed, homework, and packing lunches for the next day can make for a pretty busy evening. My boyfriend cooked me dinner last night so I got home to Indian spiced mixed vegetables sauteed with black pepper eel and topped with tilapia and a dollop of yogurt. It was huge and delicious!

If I don't make a salad, I may have a quesadilla or the tacos. I'm waiting for an avocado to ripen
Old 02-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #35  
I got this

Munchy- I'm not sure if you know this tip already but brown paper bags are great for ripening fruits like banana and avocados when you don't wanna wait that long or some stores give you totally fresh avocados. Just thought I'd share in case you didn't know.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Munchy- I'm not sure if you know this tip already but brown paper bags are great for ripening fruits like banana and avocados when you don't wanna wait that long or some stores give you totally fresh avocados. Just thought I'd share in case you didn't know.
Thank you! My mom always told me that when I was growing up - love those little mom tips

I'm in no rush. What usually happens is I wait "forever" for them to ripen then I run into the busiest nights ever all in a row and never use the avocado before it goes bad. Story of my life...
Old 02-11-2014, 11:12 PM   #37  

Weird day for eating today. I spent all day preparing and cooking an Italian Dinner fundraiser for the Shriners. Home made lasagna, homemade spaghetti marinara and meat sauce for 40 people. As a result I was too busy to eat Breakfast or Lunch. For some reason I was not hungry at Dinner but common sense told me I should eat. So I joined my DW for spaghetti while she ate lasagna. I got rave reviews on the food by the way. I never tasted the lasagna but my customers said it was outstanding.

When I got home my days calories were 563 so I fixed a volumetrics meal. Progresso light chicken dumpling soup to which I added two cans of no salt added green beans. Then I ate a medium Granny Smith Apple.

Total calories or the day 943
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #38  
I got this

Bit of a crazy day for me. I got up a bit late for school so I did not have any time to prep my lunch. I did manage to bring a piece of the PB banana bread for breakfast and an apple with vanilla yogurt/pb2 for snacking.

For lunch, I was able to get a big salad with 2 hard boiled eggs and a bit of ranch from the school cafe. I left my insulated lunch bag in the last class though, hoping it will still be there by Thursday (no school tomorrow.) I'm not gonna sweat it too much since I only paid 4 bucks for the bag.

For dinner, I decided on a "pizzadilla." Turkey pepperoni, cheese, a little bit of homemade marinara sauce (tomato paste, water, oil, garlic and onions) and a ton of fresh spinach in a spinach-flavored tortilla, folded in half then pan-fried in a dry skillet until golden brown on both sides. You would save more calories if you used flat out wraps or something similar.

Larry- chicken and dumplings, mmm! I adore lasagna! Have you tried zucchini lasagna where you use zucchini as the noodles? Pretty good but it can get wet/watery if you don't salt the zucchini and let the water out a bit first. I also use cottage cheese in the filling instead of ricotta since it's what I always have on hand.

Munchy- Ha! That sounds like me too on the waiting forever part and unable to use whatever since it went bad. I've been trying to reduce "waste" and making use of everything I have on hand. I've finally got in the habit of blanching veggies and drying them as soon as I get home then freeze them because if I don't, they'll just stay in the fridge until they get brown.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Munchy- Ha! That sounds like me too on the waiting forever part and unable to use whatever since it went bad. I've been trying to reduce "waste" and making use of everything I have on hand. I've finally got in the habit of blanching veggies and drying them as soon as I get home then freeze them because if I don't, they'll just stay in the fridge until they get brown.
That's a great idea! I tend to use everything in soups, nuggets, meatballs, burritos, chilis, etc as soon as I get my groceries every few weeks. That way I can freeze them without wasting and I always have a meal that is full of veggies at my disposal. I started freezer cooking when my six year old started solids. Baby food 2/$1 is not a deal when your kid can eat 6 jars a day! A bag of frozen peas for $1 made into 24 cubes of food is a much better deal

Larry the zucchini lasagna is awesome. You should try it! I made two 8x8 versions of this recipe before, but used my own ricotta recipe and homemade marinara. I ended up giving one to my parents (who are gluten free) and got great reviews. You can also make a lasagna with just plenty of mixed veggies, sauce, cheese, meat (optional) and no "noodle" layer at all.

I have no idea what my dinner will be. Tomorrow is my birthday, but we're expecting a **** of a snowstorm, so it may be a surprise early birthday dinner. We shall see. If not, I'm probably going to make a vegetarian taco salad with my baby kale and spinach, and maybe use that avocado. It finally seems soft!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #40  

OK you both convinced me, I need to try zucchini lasagna. It looks delicious in the pictures on the recipe link that Munchy posted. While looking at the picture of zucchini slices a crazy idea came to me. I wonder if you could use a cheese slicer, you know the type with a wire and a roller, to slice the zucchini?
I will never know unless I try.

amandie Being a member of the soggy brown veggy club, I like your idea of blanching and freezing fresh veggies when you get home from the store. I grew a bumper crop of wax beans, green beans, peppers and tomatoes this past Summer and they are in my freezer where I use them almost daily.
The beans were blanched, the peppers were simply seeded, sliced and frozen . The Tomatoes were cooked and pureed before freezing.

Last edited by Larry H; 02-12-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #41  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I think you guys just solved a huge problem for me.

I need a happy medium for my boyfriend. He has an insatiable appetite (I really think that his heartburn meds mess with his satiety signals), and he's not yet thirty and on cholesterol and bp meds. He's carrying at least 30 extra pounds.

I have a heck of a time cooking for him because he eats so much. This may be the perfect way to lower his caloric intake while keeping him full.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #42  

Radiojane, it's a really great technique. I use it in my daughter's foods because I want her eating more vegetables, and if I make them into nuggets or put them in her chili, she's going to eat them - I'm not trying to "hide" anything!

I just saw this recipe for polenta casserole that looks pretty good. I'll probably make it next week and portion it into lunches for work. That will definitely help me increase my calories.

Forgot to add the link! Vegetable Polenta Casserole

Last edited by Munchy; 02-12-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #43  

Hi all I'm new to this area and just came across the volumetics info today. Need to buy the book but it sounds like a great way to get volume without eliminating everything we like.
I love portebella burgers and wonder how they would fit into something like this. I usually make them with a slice of provalone or swiss chees and some grilled onions. My hubby is a carb eater but even he like the mushroom burgers. I want to get us both going in a better direction with food.
gemi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #44  

Gemi there are no real rules. Just go for higher volume and lower calories. Portobello burgers are great. Another option is to pulse mushrooms and mix them with lean meat to make burger patties. I like them wrapped in lettuce (gluten free) but a 100 calorie bun would work too.

I had turkey tacos last night on corn tortillas with spinach, jalapenos, sour cream, salsa, avocado, scallion and cilantro. It was my daughter's suggestion and hit the spot!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #45  

Radiojane - It helps a lot if your boyfriend is a vegetable fan. Many men are not. By getting imaginative and adding additional vegetables to recipes you already make you will lower their energy density. Then you or your boyfriend can eat more while maintaining calories or reducing them. Calories do count on this eating plan, but by increasing the proportion of low calorie density food into your menus you will be able eat larger portions which will greatly help you reach and maintain satiety.

gemi2 - We are a small and friendly but growing group of Volumetrics aficionados. Portebella burgers are very Volumetric and they can be made more Volumetric by adding Lettuce, Tomatoes, Pepper's, Salsa or anything you like that is low calorie dense. Fiber is a large part of Volumetrics so using whole wheat buns on the burgers will help.

Munchy - You eat the best sounding meals, I have got to buy some corn tortillas. I don't know why I have not used them at home. I like them a lot and they would add a lot of new possibilities to my menus. How hot do you tolerate peppers and sauce? Over many years I have increased my tolerance and I now use a 1.5 million scoville hot sauce. It is about 300 times hotter than Jalapeno peppers

I had a huge Volumetrics serving of pasta for dinner yesterday. 8 oz dry Dreamfields elbows (that is four servings) to which I added a can of no salt added stewed tomatoes and chopped green bell pepper. I spiced it with Garlic powder, Oregano, Italian seasoning and Sirarcha hot sauce. It was delicious and very filling. My nutrition for the day:

Calories 1,213 Goal 1,700
Carbs 295g Goal 213g
Fat 6g Goal 47g
Protein 41g Goal 106g
Sodium 498mg Goal 2,300mg
Fiber 64g Goal 30g