General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #196  

I found a neat quote in the book but forgot to bring it downstairs to copy it. Later. ha
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Glad you're liking the book, Trish. I've been extra hungry lately. Don't know why. Today was more normal Hope it keeps up. I don't think we are going to get any rain out of this storm. Strange.
I have been really hungry the past few days. Sure hope it is part of the process and is over at least for a while.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #198  

From the Diet Survivors Handbook.

The paradox of this process (attuned eating) is that the less you care about losing weight, the more likely you are to lose it.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #199  

Yesterday I ate exactly what I wanted to eat most of the time. We stopped at Arby's on the way to pickup youngest DGD from school. Now that I have no good/bad foods and I can eat whatever, I decided that I didn't want all the bread. Doing what the book says to do... eat what you like... I took the top half of the bun and made a fold over the beef and ate half a roast beef sandwich. I only ate a few of the curly fries that DH and I shared and had a small diet lemonade. I totally enjoyed it and I was not stuffed. I came home and last evening I mixed left over chili with cheese and melted it over restaurant chips and had that for supper. This morning I got up and weighed and my weight almost matches the ticker. I always said that if I could just eat what I really wanted to eat even as a snack and not have to eat meals that I wouldn't have a weight problem.

I also liked what they say in the book about the problem of feeling guilty and beating yourself up because you ate something considered a bad food. We beat ourself up so much that it hurts our self-esteem. I have said and heard others say "I have such willpower/success in so many other areas in my life so what is my problem when it comes to weight?" When you feel like a failure because of your weight, you can't have any self-respect or good self-esteem.

Good helpful reading.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #200  

I read the chapter today about feelings. "This too shall pass" really spoke to me.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #201  

Funny this morning I noticed during the time Pastor was reviewing last weeks sermon before he continued with todays that he had said "When we feel guilty, it makes us feel worthless". Thinking back to what I had read in the book, I began to see how this works against us. Or it has for me... When we are dieting and we get off plan, we feel guilty. If this becomes a habit, then yes we begin to feel like a worthless failure wondering why bother. But I think it is worse than that with dieting because I think when we feel like a worthless failure that we also begin to habitually fail at any diet because we also begin to feel like we don't "deserve" to be thin and healthy. So that is why we have a tendency to give up and stop trying. It can really be a downward spiral from there to where some people even commit suicide whether by taking their life out right or by the way they eat. I know I've felt that way before, but of course being a Christian, I would never commit suicide. Thank God I've never come to the place of actually giving up either at least not completely any way. This was a real eye opener for me.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #202  

I hope I'm not defeating my IE woe, but my blood sugar is up and I'm trying to get it under control. I will see my doctor this week to get a new med since I can't take the Metformin I was taking.

I don't want to cut out any foods any more or think in terms of good/bad foods. However, I need to kind of watch the cals just to get an idea of what I am eating. I'm not consistent at counting calories, but am trying to do it for a while until I see what is going on with me. When I've done this before, I found that there have been days that I didn't even eat 1000 calories a day and then there are days I may eat closer to 1500 depending where (a restaurant) we eat. I know some people say "O you should never eat less than 1200 calories". I don't buy that theory any more. I also believe we don't have to eat the same #calories everyday, because there are people who actually do calorie cycling... with a number of days with very low cals and days of higher. I think this is why IE/Diet Survivor would work so well once we get rid of all the diet junk we've been brainwashed with. JMHO

Oh, I'm still eating Intuitively just counting what I eat. I remember years ago when I was in Overeater's Anonymous that a new lady came to our meeting one night. We ate really strict low carb back then (don't know their plan these days). Anyway the lady told us she had lost something like 100 lbs (don't remember exact), but what shocked us was that she said "I eat anything I want. If I want a banana split, I have it. If a burger or a salad... whatever I want I eat it. It might even be the only thing I eat that day, but it is what I wanted to eat". I remember we all looked at her dumbfounded. We thought she was nuts. LOL But was she doing IE? No one knew about it back then. 40+ yrs ago. But it sure had worked for her. She looked great.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-04-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add on
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #203  

Quote:
Anyway the lady told us she had lost something like 100 lbs (don't remember exact), but what shocked us was that she said "I eat anything I want. If I want a banana split, I have it. If a burger or a salad... whatever I want I eat it. It might even be the only thing I eat that day, but it is what I wanted to eat". I remember we all looked at her dumbfounded. We thought she was nuts. LOL But was she doing IE? No one knew about it back then. 40+ yrs ago. But it sure had worked for her. She looked great.
A diabetic friend of ours told us that his doctor told him to just eat less of everything without worrying about what to eat.

Last edited by carolr3639; 11-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #204  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
A diabetic friend of ours told us that his doctor told him to just eat less of everything without worrying about what to eat.
I remember you telling me that once before and I believe it is true. I wrote down everything I ate and wrote down the cals, but I did eat what I want and although I've gained some from adding carbs back into my eating, my weight is coming down and so is the fasting blood sugar without actually dieting. I won't count the cals forever because I won't have to. I was just curious as to how much I actually eat when I do IE principles. I'm finding it very interesting. It is easy to eat a small amount of a food when you know you can go back and have more of it later if you really want it and I have actually gone back hours later to eat that food because I really wanted it. The best part is I'm enjoying the foods that I really love and find I don't feel like I have to overeat it either. Still have a lot of it for a later time.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #205  

Quote:
my weight is coming down and so is the fasting blood sugar without actually dieting.
Great!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #206  

Quote:
It is easy to eat a small amount of a food when you know you can go back and have more of it later if you really want it and I have actually gone back hours later to eat that food because I really wanted it.
I tried that yesterday but today it didn't taste as good and I wished I had eaten more when it did.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #207  

Yesterday, I had planned to have hot dogs for main meal, but found I was hungry for fish sticks instead. So I ate what I wanted. I usually eat oatmeal for breakfast, but this morning I decided that I wanted a bagel (flat ones) with PB and SF grape jelly. After arguing with myself that I need the oatmeal etc, I decided to do what the Diet Survivor/IE says to do... I had the bagel with pb and grape jelly. And I totally enjoyed it. Today, I'm hungry for the hot dog and will have one for my main meal. Great feeling of freedom to choose.

FBS was way down today @ 137 down from the 170s it has been and scale down another 1/2 lb. Interesting isn't it?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #208  

Had my docs appt today. A1c was 7.0 up .8 since I was there last May so I was really pleased with that. Staying on Metformin but switching to time-released as he said less side-effects. Sure am praying it works because Metformin slows down the progression of diabetes and it actually curbs my appetite as well. He seems to want me to stay on the Fenofibrate and since it lowers cholesterol and triglycerides, I agreed to continue it if he felt it was important. He said the other diabetic meds make it too easy to gain weight so he really didn't want to put me on it. Got a mild diuretic prescription to take only when I need it. So I feel pleased with the results.

Read the book some today. I don't think I care to bring an abundance of my favorite foods into the house. For me it would be potato chips, but I don't think I need to do that one. I guess I could change my mimd somewhere down the road, but not now.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #209  

S/C/G: 461/395/199

Height: 6'

Default I'm baaaack!

I missed the wisdom and support of you all on this thread

We found a house just right for us and moved a couple of weeks ago, I am beyond happy I was at the doctors yesterday for prescription refills and weighed in at 375.6, not bad considering some of the stress eating I have done over the past few months trying to find a new home. I have lots to catch up on here, nice to be back
Crown of Snarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #210  

Crown of Snarls - Welcome back. And congratulations on the weight loss and your move into your new home.