General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #676  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Okaaayyyy, now we can tell that this is my THIRD day off in a row.. this NEVER happens...but it means that I have to work at least the next six days in a row...blah! But I have time to go back to old threads and dig up little nuggets of wisdom, like this one from Snowey -

*Remember everytime a minute passes we have a new opportunity to get back on track!!!!

We are strong !!!! We will succeed!!!!!! *

That was from March of 2002!!

I am still growly-feeling at the bathroom scales, I can't accept that as I'm wearing size 6 jeans (snug in the legs, but good in the waist) and look relatively fit, that I can weigh 149, as the scale shows. It is very bad for my good attitude! What, you say just don't weigh myself? I think that's VERY good advice, lol!!!

I think I saw Sprite, remember Sprite? Back in early 2002? She just posted as a newbie. I said hi and asked her to come here to say hi, hope she does!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #677  

Hi, All. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was uneventful (as usual – I’ll have to think of some fun things to do on weekends). As far as eating goes, I was only a little “bad.” I went over my calories by about 300 on Friday, but I cut back on Saturday and have shaved off some for today, so it should all equal out. This coming Friday is my weigh-in day. I haven’t weighed myself in two weeks, so I’m hoping that I’ve lost a couple of pounds (my goal is to lose 1 lb. a week).

VermontMom, I completely understand about the scale thing. That’s one of the reasons why for the past year and a half I only weighed myself a couple of times. Now, I feel as if I’m in a different stage of my weight loss (the last 10 – 15 lbs.) and need to get more focused, so I’m weighing in about every two weeks. I just hate the way the scale seems to control our moods. I read somewhere that a study was done in which two groups of people were weighed. One group was given a false scale reading which indicated that they’d gained 5 lbs. The other group was given a false reading indicating that they’d lost 5 lbs. Interestingly, the first group of people ate MORE that day after being weighed than the group who thought they lost. (I don’t remember where I read this, but it was recently). Anyway, that just goes to show how numbers on a scale can affect our actions. Actually, VermontMom, I am quite impressed that you can wear so small a size at your current weight. That must mean you have a lot of muscle. My sisters are always so impressed that I can wear a smaller size than they can when we’re the same weight, but even at 147 (my current weight), I’m still wearing a size 8 (comfortably) or a tight size six. So, if it’s any consolation, VermontMom, isn’t the size you wear a lot more important than the number on the scale? I mean, I wouldn’t care if I was 160 lbs. as long as I could wear a size 6. I’m sure that you’ll lose the weight, though, since you seem to be so consistent with your habits.

Silence, you’re going through a low motivational period. I’ve been through those and the best advice I can give is to just try to maintain your weight at this point. When that “click” comes back – and it will – you can focus on losing. I know it’s difficult to be diligent. I understand what you mean about your husband’s eating affecting yours. My husband is a good cook. Last week he cooked chicken Francaise (sp?) and pasta with garlic and oil. He ate that while I ate a broiled chicken breast, baked yam, and asparagus. If I were to eat what he ate, I’d only be able to have ½ a piece of chicken and a miniscule amount of pasta to equal the same calories; that’s just not enough food for me. It’s a continual struggle. It might be easier to get rid of our husbands!!! (just kidding!).

I hope everyone has a great, on-program day!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #678  

Default Hi to everyone

Just wanted to say hi to everyone in this forum. I would like to join your group. I have been checking the other forums out for a couple of weeks and this one sounds like a good one for me.I am 46 years old, divorced for 8 years with 2 children, 19 and 24 years old. I am counting my calories and working out at the gym 3 days per week. I need to lose at least 40 lbs. I have been going to the gym for a year now with no weight loss, which had been very frustrating to say the least. I started keeping track of my food intake on www.fitday.com last week and am amazed at how much fat was in by diet. I am keeping my calories at 1500 per day or below and no more than 50 grams of fat per day, (not sure how much fat gram per is correct, I am still researching this). I am doing much better now and plan on keeping this up. I feel there is some hope now that I can lose, I was about to give up, as I have been at this weight for 6 years now and could not lose it.

Last edited by debbiejarrell; 02-16-2004 at 04:13 PM.
debbiejarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #679  

Hi debbiejarrell - I also have just started watching my diet and started working out. I found fitday.com as well and freaked out when I saw what I had been eating. I have been working out with densie austin in the mornings and I have several tapes that I do as well. I can't wait to get rid of some of this weight.

Paula
sw167/cw164/gw130
mrspmwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #680  

Default Hi

mspmwilliams,

I am really excited about losing weight this time, fitday is really helping. I have been looking to buy something like it for sometime. Isn't it great that it's free. Are you counting your calories. If so, how many per day? I worked out at the gym for 45 minutes today.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:47 AM   #681  
Biker Chick!

Welcome debbie and mrspm! We're glad to have you here, there's always strength in numbers!

I can give advice, then I want someone to give it right back to me, when I don't follow my own good advice Again, welcome, ladies!!

vmelo, thanks for the words of wisdom regarding the scale. Yes, true that if I was a small size, I shouldn't care about what the scale says...I should amend that my size 6 jeans fit, but maybe I define "still fit me" as "painted on"

I have to face that I have tacked on pounds, and I DO need to get back to better eating habits, and there is something that is keeping me from it. I loosely blame it on the winter blahs, but there is more to it...I have some resentment issues with husband, and I know that is figuring into the mix of emotions. I know that is blaming someone else for something that's totally up to me, but we know all about that. I think that's why I rely on coming here for support so much!

and vmelo, I can relate to that story about the people who thought they either weighed 5 pounds more / less. I know if I saw the scale below what I thought it should be, then I would be encouraged and keep up the good work. If it strayed higher, I would be discouraged and probably go have a bagel

Well, AGAIN I'm going to try for a good day, about to eat a little yogurt and Kashi, then hit a tape. Good luck to everyone!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #682  

Default Hi to everyone

Thanks vermontmom for the welcome. I have to tell everyone that I have lost 5 lbs this past week! It doesn't sound like much but it has been a long time since I have seen that. My scale hasn't budged for 6 years.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #683  

Good morning, all! Welcome debbiejarrell and congrats on your weight loss! You wrote, "it doesn't sound like much," but I think 5 lbs in one week is awesome! I'm happy to lose 1 lb. a week. Keep up the good work!

VermontMom, I know what you mean about taking responsibility for ourselves, and I definitely agree that this is not always easy. In the words of the poet John Donne (I was an English major in college), "no man is an island"; we're always going to be influenced by those around us. Hopefully, we can balance our influences so that if we have a negative influence in one place, we can have a positive influence elsewhere (e.g., this board). I admire your perseverence and know that you will get those extra pounds off. You've done it before and you'll do it again. At least you're catching yourself instead of going completely off program and gaining all the weight back; that shows that you're on the right track in terms of mindset.

We got some snow here last night, so I didn't go to the gym this morning (didn't feel like cleaning off my car in the dark at 5:15 a.m.!). I'll try to go tonight despite the incredulous looks I'm sure my husband will give me. He thinks I'm nuts for going to the gym anyway (Him: "Somebody would have to pay ME to go"--he's always been thin and has no concept of the weight loss struggle others go through).

Okay, here's the task for anyone reading this message: smile right now! Don't you feel better? Now, have a great, on-program day! (No, my middle name isn't Pollyanna, but I've got to try to stay positive!)
Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #684  

Default going to gym

vmelo,

Thanks for your support, it really helps. You said that your husband would give you a look for going to the gym. Don't let that stop you. I decided long ago that if I let what everyone else thinks about my fitness routine stop me I would never go. At one time I was in a lot better shape than I am now. I didn't let anything stop me, (apart from emergencies), from working out. When my children were small, I found a place to walk where they could go with me and rollerskate or bike ride. I walked in the winter and sometimes my eyelashes would be covered with snow when I got into the car. I am 40 lbs overweight now. I know they people at my gym are wondering why I bother, the musclebound men probably are giving each other "looks" behind my back, but I am not going to let that stop me.

I was once an aerobic instructor. I really admired a couple of people that came to my classes on a regular basis. They were both extremely overweight but they did not care what anyone else thought they came to every class.

Last edited by debbiejarrell; 02-18-2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:51 PM   #685  

Thanks for the encouragement, Debbie. I do try to ignore his disdain for all health conscious things most of the time; it's just that when I have to coax myself into it as well, his disparagment is a double whammy!! I really like your positive, no quitting attitude!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #686  

Default Not a good day.

Help! I need some encouraging words! I think I am going to have a bad day today. When I feel this way I usually don't eat right. I have been doing very good on my eating plan for the last 6 days and I really don't want to blow it.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #687  

Hi, Debbie. I hate cliches but "been there, done that." Here are some suggestions: 1) Have one decadent treat and count it in your calories (if you're counting calories). When I wake up with an "I don't give a darn" attitude, I might go to Starbucks and have a giant chocolate chip cookie. That usually does the trick of satisfying my inner diet rebel and I can stay on track the rest of the day. 2) If you do decide that you're just sick of counting calories for a day, don't do it . . . BUT don't pig out either. If I wake up sick of the whole business, I might have a free day of not counting calories. I might eat some treats, but I still try to do it in moderation; 3) Finally, if you do have a bad day, just get right back on track the next day. As has been said before on this board, it's not perfection that counts---it's consistency.

Remember: you ARE in control. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #688  

Default Thanks

I appreciate the supportand ideas. I am going to stick to the plan, but if I do mess up I will count it.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #689  
Biker Chick!

Hello everyone!

debbie, I hope your day went better than you thought it might originally. vmelo has some good thoughts and advice, doesn't she! and congrats on your loss!!

I joined fitday.com, and it's pretty neat. I think it will help me with my "accountability".

Besides wishing for spring weather for riding the 'cycle, I want to be able to walk again! I know it was so beneficial for fat loss before.

I have enough calories saved that I can have a cup of yogurt before retiring; have to decide if I'll go for it. I think I will

debbie, you used to teach aerobics? that is so cool! I certainly hope that people aren't giving you "the look" at the gym, but if they are, the h*ll with them!

Hope everyone is doing well, and THINK SPRING! then SUMMER! We have 3 months 'til mid-May; that is a sensible time frame to make some good changes to our bodies, so we can enjoy the warm weather in shorts and t-shirts, and feel confident and great about ourselves.

good night!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 PM   #690  

Hi Everyone

I have been missing in action ..so sorry about that!

Things have been going well, I am sticking to my WW plan and I have now lost 11 pounds and I am feeling good about that.

Maybe this will be the year I can make it to my goal , I hope, I hope!!

Havent been doing to much lately, Valentines day came and went without me eating any candy and I bought my dear hubby some and I kept my hands out of it!

We went to the movies and seen 50 first dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. It was a cute movie!

I have been trying to get my new pic up here . But I need to make it smaller. Maybe I can just add it into a post(if I can figure that one out too! )

Christine, Hang in there you will find the right moment and then it will click and you will soon be back in the groove dont give up!!!!

Holly,, Another bike trip coming up for you and I know you will be looking just as good in that bikini top as you did last year. I would give any thing to be able to wear a bikini top,,,but nooooooooooooooooooo way that is just too scary for me to even think of!!!

Amy,, where are you ????

And a big hello and welcome to the new folks
Ok lets see if I can get my pic added in here,, if not Ill keep trying!!

Take care all...sweet dreams !!

Nancy
Snowey is offline   Reply With Quote