General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:19 AM   #571  

Default remember me??

Hello everyone!! Remember me?? It has been a LONG time since I have posted. I don't even know when the last time was! I have been lurking and keeping up with posts, just not contributing. However, it's time once again to make myself accountable. I recognize alot of the same people but see there have been some new people joining since my long absence. Hopefully I can re-introduce myself over time.

It seems like I have been on a downward spiral for the past year. Just a brief background on me for everyone. I have basically struggled with my weight my entire life. My highest weight was when I was about 20 when I hit 183 lbs. at 5'3". Back then something in me clicked and I began to walk everyday and eat healthy for the first time in my life. No starvation or gimmicks, just plain old hard work that eventually paid off. I got down to the low 130's and maintained that for about 5 years. Since then I have gotten married and everyone knows the story. Although I have only been married for 3 years, we have been together for 5 years and during that time my weight has slowly crept back up. I was able to maintain my weight between 140-155 for a couple of years but lately...I don't know what has happened!! As of now I am afraid to even step back on the scale. Instead of the number motivating me, it tends to make me more depressed and think to myself "what's the use?".

I have decided to take a break from the scale and just focus on healthy eating and exercise. I am going to let my clothes be my scale for a while. Maybe after a month I will get the courage to check the actual number. I have to go in for my yearly check-up in a couple of months so that may be the day.

Right now my goal is set for April. My husband and I take a yearly trip to Cancun and we will be going the first week of April. I would like to weigh anywhere from 120-130 pounds by that date. Given over five months, it is doable but will be hard. I just need you guys to make me accountable. One of the first things that I have decided to cut out for now is any kind of alcohol. My husband and I dont have any children and are social drinkers. Particularly now with football season well under way. Not to paint the picture that we drink all day!! That's not the case at all. I just know that after 2 beers I am more likely to get the munchies and let my diet go to the wayside. So I have identified that as a problem area for me when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight. It should only be difficult for me when we have social gatherings. My friends are used to me sipping some wine or having a beer while we catch up. But I can deal with that. Anyways, I have rambled enough!

So far my food intake and projected food take is:

1 cup of Kashi

LUNCH
Lean Cuisine Pizza
cooked broccili and cauliflower with fat free cheese melted

Dinner
going out to eat with my parents. Probably Mexican...any suggestions?

Sorry for this eternally long post!
jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:12 PM   #572  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi jacklyn, of COURSE we remember you, BIG welcome back!!!

Identifying the beer that then leads to the munchies is a big step. And coming back here will help, too!

Are you exercising? Do you need us to get Sgt. Bootcamp on your heinie?

I am also buckling down on myself, as I've put on 7 lbs. and some 1/2" here and there...so we're all in this together.

good again to hear from you!

*jacklyn, weren't you a super-walking chick? I think I can remember you logging miles like crazy. Is that something you could ease into again?*

Last edited by VermontMom; 10-24-2003 at 04:18 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 10:37 AM   #573  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!
I am getting ready to go off for an hour and a half dance practice...I have already gotten up and gotten everyoen breakfast, and done the dishes...I was up late last night getting the last few details on Jason's costume together, because we are going to a Halloween party tonight. Nothing major, but getting a few adjustments made in fit, and getting everything together and ready to go later-because I will have to shower and pack my costume and a change of clothes as soon as I get home and we are off to Jason's parents-which is an hour away. The kids are staying there while we go and we are crashing there afterwards. (The party is close to their house)
Our local video store is having a costume contest on Halloween...I am going to check out the details of it and if it doesn't interfere with trick or treating, I may enter Jason and the kids...the prize is probably free movie rentals or something...hey, that would be worth it with the cold months coming-that is when we do most of our movie renting!
On a more serious note, my mother found a small area of skin cancer on her face at the dermatologist this week. (On our anniversary actually ) She just had it taken off and sent off to get a biopsy on it. They are going to see if they got it all, or if they need to go any deeper. Regardless, she is no longer allowed any sun exposure-no tanning beds, no sunbathing...and a high spf sunblock when she is outdoors. She is very worried about it-the place they took off is going to leave a small scar on her face, and she is upset about that. She has scars from c-sections, gallbladder surgery, and so on...but I think this is really bothering her because it is on her face. I am sure all you ladies can understand. I just hope that they got it all and that there was no spreading...because I would hate for them to have to do any more on her face or to have to face the possibility of radiation. We will know in a couple of weeks. I tried to cheer her up, and I think it worked...I got a few laughs out of her. She was telling me that I should watch my skin as well, because last year my father also had some skin cancer removed, and because my skin is so "milky white". I told her that the only place my skin was milky was my neck and my arms...the rest of it was all stretch marked! That at least got a giggle from her...
Ah well...I need to run ladies...I have a BUSY day today...you all take care. And yes, Jacklyn-we all remember you! Good to see you back!!!!!
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 07:51 PM   #574  

Hello everyone...and welcome back Jacklyn!!!!!!!,,, I have been a stranger these days also... but I have been lurking,, as sometime I feel like I have nothing good to contribute since my weight loss has been a big "SUCK" lately!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just cant seem to concentrate,, even though I really want to lose this weight....

I NEED DR PHIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got my hair cut today...shorter then normal,,but looks good...now to color it...I am seeing threads of silver sparking at me......

Amy~~~ Sending big huge hugs and thinking postive thoughts for your Mom!!! Have fun at your party tonight!

Holly~~~ A big hello to you also,,, hows the hubby doing losing weight?? Is it almost time to put the bikes away for the winter?

Waving to the rest of the group also Georgialady, ZadieK, Tryin'hard,Idealperson,Tooround,and all the rest....what ever happen to Kina,,,anyone seen her lately?? I know her schooling was keeping her quite busy..and Kanola,, I know whse was doing the BFL ...wonder how she is??

Ok gotta run for now...ok I am not really running,, dont have the energy for that .. I mean I gotta go,,, well no I dont mean go,,as go to the bathroom... " I really mean I have to get off of the computer help hubby with some shelving.!

have a great night all
see ya soon
Nancy
Snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 PM   #575  

You guys have my laughing out loud! Holly--some days I need you to send Sgt. Bootcamp to MY heinie!!! And snowey with your "running"!!!
Jacklyn--welcome back! If there's anywhere on this earth that knows what you're going through, you've got to believe it's here!
Good for you for recognizing your weakness. I got into the little habit of "a couple of beers" over the summer and before I knew it, I was up a couple of pounds. But, you are doing the right thing by catching it early and working hard! Good for you! I hope you were able to make some good choices with the Mexican food--that's one cuisine that can be tough! Even things that sound like they should be ok arrive on your plate covered with cheese!
Aphil--I know you're so excited this week with Halloween. You must be so proud of all the hard work you've put into everyone's costumes! I hope you had a good time at the party! On a more serious note, I'm sure your mom will be ok--positive thoughts!!
As many of us are in our forties or beyond, have you noticed that the weight is shifting, or it is just me? Clothes that fit me beautifully last winter now show a little pudge below my waist. It's only some clothes, but I have definitely lost the flat stomach I had last year and even though I don't get on the scale and know the number isn't more than 3 or 4 pounds more than where it was, I'm noticing this change in my body. Anybody else noticing the force of gravity upon their bodies???
Well, everyone, I hope you all have a great week. My days fly by and before I know it, you guys are two pages ahead of when I checked in the last time! Be good!
tryin'hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #576  

Hello everyone! Thanks for the welcome back!
Holly~you have a pretty good memory! I love to walk! I try to walk in our neighborhood on a regular basis. If I walk the entire length of the main street, it equals 5 miles, however, I usually do a 3 mile walk. Lately I have slacked a bit but am planning on hitting it again. I also have a stationary bike that I need to get on more often.

tryin' hard~I have definitely noticed a difference the older I have gotten. I dont have the gravity thing as of yet (I'll be 31 in a couple of months) but I have noticed that it is much more difficult to lose ANY weight, whereas before it seemed that if just changed my eating habits slightly, my clothes would fit looser. Now it seems to take forever for just a couple of pounds to drop off. Oh well, I'm in it for the long haul....not just a quick fix so I guess I should just stop complaining!

Nancy~it's good to see your posts again...you were always so upbeat! Glad to hear your sisiter is doing better!

Amy~sorry to hear about your mother. I would think even a slight scarring on the face would be difficult for any woman. I hope the results come back okay.

Well, as for my weekend I did pretty good Friday night. I ended up splitting an order of fajitas with my husband. So I felt pretty good about that. Yesterday however, was a constant graze-fest! I think the coffee table would have actually tasted good with a little salt....no salsa...salsa's good on anything right?? Anyways, its back on the wagon today. So far I have had some Kashi cereal and an apple. I seem to do pretty good during the week while I'm at work, it's the weekend that needs some improvement. Well, I need to get back to work..everyone have a great day!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:35 PM   #577  
Biker Chick!

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted for a bunch of days in comparision to constantly last week! Well, a friend (actually a former boss) got horribly burned in a propane gas explosion on Saturday, and I've been pretty wrapped up with concern for him. He had to be airlifted first from here, to Dartmouth-Hitchcock in NH; then to Mass General's burn unit. Each day is he passing critical points, that help his survival...but he will be in the hospital for something like A YEAR...he was burned over 80%, so horrible. But he is a strong person, both in body and spirit. He will also have the entire town of Stowe rooting for him, as everyone knows him.

Well, besides that, I have started my winter job...deli queen It's in a fast-paced convenience store; I do the deli work, and the register. and two days a week I'll fill in for the baker. I don't have any aspirations to elevate their baking; I was there 3 years ago, and just got burned out. But they're happy to have me there for the winter; at least they know I am clean and honest I come home smelling like onions, salami and marinara - my husband got turned on by that "mmm, you smell good!" lol!

You might think it would be a diet-buster to be around all the deli food, and the bakery food...but it is so busy, you don't have a chance to nibble! I start at 6:00 am; and got my first food at 1:00 pm; had a nice half-sandwich. I realize now I have to bring in my yogurt/kashi to have some breakfast.

But starting early gets me home at 2:30 or 3:00, which gives lots of time for afternoon stuff, eat dinner at 6:00 and then bed by 10:00.

Aphil, best wishes to your mom. How was your party? Remember to take pics for us to see for your Halloween costumes!

Hi Snowey! No, we haven't put the bikes away yet when the snow is here to stay is when we say farewell, lol. We went for a ride this afternoon, as it was 50 with some sunshine, and I had to let the wind whip the salami smell off me
did you ask about my husband and Atkins?...he has lost 32 pounds and looks much better. I still am not convinced about long-term...but am being supportive.

hi tryin'hard! Gravity sux! I have always had heavy upper arms, and am battling that still...I'm sure that if I had taken these steps 10 or 15 years ago, it would have been easier...oh well.

Hi jacklyn, I sure do remember the walking. You used to post your miles, I remember! Good job on splitting the order of fajitas!

Yes, we are missing Kina! and kanola, our motorbiking girl down under! and all our other ladies...are you busy? say hello!

Have a great night everyone!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:56 AM   #578  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

Height: 5'4"

Checking in....

Holly, I'm so sorry to hear about your former boss. What a tough time he and his family must be going through. He is blessed to have a good friend in you, though, and I know you'll visit and support him as he recooperates.

Aphil, I just know your Mom will get a good report when the results of the biopsy come back. I'm sure she is worried but you're there to remind her that she took care of this early and that is so important.

Hi to everyone too...I'm keeping up with all of you and hoping everyone's doing great.

As you know, I got down to 145...stayed there for a few weeks and then put a few pounds back on. I am now struggling to get the extra weight off and get back to my good habits. Yesterday, I finally decided that I was going to have to make a temporary change in how I counted my calories. Previously, I would just add up all the calorie counts for the day and that'd be my total. Now, I'm starting with a total number and deducting calories all day from that till I get to 0 and then no more eating.

Yesterday, I started with 1200 cals. and worked my way down to about 228 left for dinner. What a time I had trying to come up with something that would be filling and use up the rest of the calories. I ended up with a ham sandwich and Wow chips. It felt really good knowing I had managed not to go over my goal and today I'm going to try to do the same thing.

Oh, I'm back on the treadmill and Solo-flex so maybe we'll start seeing that scale go back down.

Happy Wednesday everyone!!!
GeorgiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #579  

Hey everybody! First off, Holly I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I'm glad that he has family and friends (like you!) to help him through such a difficult time.

I'm happy to say that I have been able to eat pretty healthy the last couple of days. Bad part is I haven't exercised. However, I have been fighting a terrible cold and have been in the bed by 7:30 both Mon and Tues night. Today I am feeling a little better. Hopefully by the weekend I will be up to par and will be doing the daily exercising. The past couple of nights I have had huge salads for dinner. Lots of veges and no fat dressing. Hopefully all those vitamins from the raw veges will get me healthy again!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 10-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #580  
Biker Chick!

Hello all!

first, thank you for the kind remarks about my friend. With each 12-hour period that passes, the doctors are more optimistic on his survival.

GeorgiaLady, I really like the idea of counting down, instead of up. I might give that a whirl!

jacklyn, sorry to hear of your cold...do you like green tea? I am a big pusher of green tea, it most always makes me feel better quicker. Even if it's pyschosomatic what the heck, if it works!

I have to chase the boys out of the living room so I can exercise now I just do not like to have them making fun of Gilad ("Gay-Lad" they call him )
We don't need distractions like that when exercising!!

Hey, when I came home today, Joe sniffed my hair, and says, almost disappointed, "you don't smell like meat today" lol!!!

Hello to everyone else, and have a great night!
Old 10-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #581  

Hello everyone

Holly~~ so sad to hear about your friend and your right as each hour passes the better his chances.

Jacklyn~~ hope you feel better soon, I agree with Holly I am a big green tea drinker,, try it you'll like it

GeorgiaLady~~ I rejoined WW on Monday (yep,,faced the music) and the new flex plan has you counting down points instead of adding them up similar to you counting down your calories!!
Even the slighest little changes can give you a increased motivation eh?

Tryinhard~~ Oh my my,, you mention gravity and how it affects ones body??? Hmm lets just say since my 48th birthday 3 weeks ago,,, gravity has taken over.,..oh wait...cant blame it on my birthday.. its been happening for years..

Where is Aphil(Amy) she has a birthday coming soon,, I believe it is close to Halloween or even on Halloween ....so sending out birthday wishes to you Amy!!! hope its a wonderful one for you!

Ok I did go back to WW on Monday,, feel a sense of relief that I did.. I plan to give it 100 percent,, keep your fingers crossed for me.. that this time will be it!

I bought a journal and have started writing in it everday its a journal about me, for me... since I have been having so many medical things happening, I feel like I need someone to talk to ,, and since I cant be bringing my sweet dh down all the time or have him worry.. I just journal... it seems to help..

The MRI of my head is scheduled for November 7th,, I hope it goes well and the results are good... a little nervous but not to much.

Well better get going,, hubby will be home from work and time to get dinner started,,, have a great night everyone!!

Oh yeah,, it snowed here today.....talk about a big suck!!! Its snowy and icy and just plain yucky,,, just way to early for this stuff.. I though that when we moved from Northwest BC to Calgary,, it wouldnt be so bad...hmmmm,, maybe its followed me here......wooooooooo thats scary....

Bye for now
Nancy
Snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:02 AM   #582  
Biker Chick!

Nancy - sorry we missed your birthday!!! Hope it was great!

That is a little scary, to think of having to have the MRI, but best of luck when that comes up!!

and congrats on being back at WW!
Old 10-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #583  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!
I have been really busy this week...and today is my 28th birthday! We went out to dinner last night for it, because tonight we are carving pumpkins with the kids-so they will be nice and fresh looking for tomorrow night-we do the "fancy" ones...hee hee hee Last year our pumpkins were Yoda and Boba Fett from Star Wars...

My mom gave me some birthday money and I chose a new pair of Nike cross trainers...everyone has informed me this year that I cannot spend any of my $$$ on anything for the house, or pay a bill, and so on...I actually bought a new faucet for the bathroom sink last year with some of my Christmas money-and I thought my husband was going to have a fit. I actually think it was in last year's Christmas time posts here...the shoes are light grey, charcoal grey, and the swoosh symbol is in a mauve color. They are cute. I have not decided what to do with the rest...I still have cards and such coming in... I am thinking maybe some new fitness videos, and a fancy sparkly caftan to wear as a coverup before dance performances...we shall see.

Holly-I am sorry to hear about your friend, but I am glad that he is doing well. I totally understand how important an monumental each hour is with a burn victim. Every one that passes brings him more "out of the woods". I also have to "shoo" everyone out when I exercise...or Raiden will be crawling all over me, and Jason will be making fun...I am trying to concentrate people!!!!!

Nancy-I find the journaling to myself helps as well...I also have a friend out of town and we email our personal feelings back to each other-we are each other's "therapists". It does really help.

Have a great day everyone!!!
Amy
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:56 PM   #584  
Starting Over Again!

Happy Birthday Aphil and Nancy (belated...sorry!!!)

Old 10-31-2003, 07:27 AM   #585  
Starting Over Again!

Happy Halloween!!!