General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #526  

Thanks girls, things are going better and the house is looking great-we should be back in on Tuesday. Everyone have a great weekend and make good food choices (sorry, that's the mom in me coming out!) Welcome to the new gals...and where is that Aphil??? Probably dancing her skinney little butt off somewhere See you all on Monday!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #527  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Not to worry...I am still here!

I have been VERY busy this week...this is the end of September, and I have one month until Halloween-so I am pretty much in the middle of the "rush" season of my profession...I am a member of the costume and props staff at www.theforce.net, and we are getting bombarded with last minute costume help questions!

We also have been getting our camper and campsite shut down for the winter season...cleaning it, bagging up all the bedding, undoing all power/water lines (our camper is set up at a campground/lake with power hookups), blowing antifreeze through the water lines for the winter...

This is such a busy month...my stepfather's birthday is tomorrow, my father's birthday, and our anniversary, my birthday, and Halloween is in October!

friendsforfitness-a moderator here at 3FC has a lot of small responsibilities-I read through most of the threads here on the general diet plan section, and I can edit posts that have coarse language or anything derogitory, advertising, etc. and I can also move posts-say someone posts a question about the Atkin's diet in the general diet plan section-I can move that post to the Low Carb forum so that they can get a better response about their question. I also answer questions, and try to keep everyone getting along!

Well, I better go-lot's to do!
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:01 PM   #528  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

Height: 5'4"

Boy, everybody must be super busy this Monday...me too actually but I had to drop in for just a minute to say, "Hello."

Many cute worker guys here today...hopefully finishing up on the big stuff...I ordered them a couple of pizzas from Dominoe's and managed to say, "no thanks" when they asked me to join them.

I had a fun Sunday....I bought my first pair of jeans without elastic in the waistband in 5 years or so....tried on about 20 pairs of size 12's and then realized that I could get into a size 10!!! Yippie!!! What I didn't realize is that they cost $50 and it was hard to find a pair that had the waist where it should be and not one of those "low riders"....Am I really getting that old? Anyway, I am so happy about my one new pair of jeans and my next goal it to make them so loose that I have to buy a pair of 8's!!

Last edited by GeorgiaLady; 09-29-2003 at 04:06 PM.
GeorgiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 04:54 PM   #529  

No you are not that old...I am only 27 and I HATE the low rise/low rider jeans. I like the flare leg look, but I wish they would make them in a normal waist and not all in low rise...I hate them because of my hourglass shape-they fall down and I get plumber crack. I also think that jeans with a higher waistline give more of a curvy small waisted/fuller hip shape. Think about it-even Christina Aguilara and Britney Spears look like they haev boy hips in those things....
Aphil
Old 09-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #530  
Starting Over Again!

Aphil, you are so right. I kept trying to yank those jeans up...I don't want that much of my belly hanging out there in the wild blue yonder!! I have no hips what-so-ever so if my pants start sliding....I'm in trouble!!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:39 PM   #531  

Geeze! georgia lady! That's super awesome! I can't wait until I can complain about the style of jeans without elastic! Be kinda funny if they made low riders with elastic waists huh?
You are doing so great! When did you start your weight loss journey???

Lisa
friendsforfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:40 PM   #532  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I cringe at the thought of belly revealing drawers. Ick! I'm afraid I'm too round I bought carpenter styled jeans. Nice high waist, loose through the thigh. Very comfy and I've been told they look great.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #533  
Starting Over Again!

Thanks for the compliment, Lisa. I started my weight loss journey January 21, 2003. That's the day I ended up in an internist's office because of my high blood pressure. I had bloodwork done at the same time and was told that I was borderline/high on my cholesterol and triglicerides. That was my moment....I weighed 188 and at 5'4 I had felt bad about the way I looked and felt for sometime. I decided that, at 40, I did not want to continue to gain weight and possibly end up with diabeties or have a stroke...I wanted to lose the weight and keep it off more than I was willing to just continue what I was doing.

I ordered several diet books...read and compared them...figured out what I agreed with and what I was willing to do and stick to and started down this path that I am now on. I have a little notepad that I write in everyday...it's almost filled up now and I will have to start a new one but I'll always keep this one to remind me of where I began. I write down my morning weight, what I eat and what the calories are. I total every day and average 14 days-worth to get an idea of what my average daily intake is. Some days I am very hungry and eat over 2000 calories...others, I am finished with 1000 or so and I stop if I'm not hungry. Today, for example, I haven't eaten a lot and I'm just not wanting dinner, so I'm skipping it. Yesterday, I was very hungry all day and I ate about twice as much as I have today.

At the end of each 14-day period, I write down what my avg. calorie intake was and if I lost or gained weight. Every month, on the 21st, I write down my weight and see if I have lost anything compared to the last month.

For me, the key was WRITING IT DOWN....I have to be honest with myself about the number of calories I am consuming. Even when I know I'm having a bad day or when we were on a vacation, I wrote it down. I figured that having to write each donut or candy bar down would at least make me acknowledge what I was doing. Now having a donut or candy bar is not bad...having one every day or eating 4 or 5 at one sitting isn't a great idea, though. I could actually look though this book and see what I was doing to myself...when I took care of myself, and ate good, nutricious foods, I was rewarded with weight loss and a healthier body. When I binged for a couple of days, I gained weight, stalled my weight loss and felt "crappy." I could see this happen over and over.

My goal was to learn something ...several somethings about myself and then apply what I learned.

I know that I eat more when I'm under stress and I'm under stress A LOT!!! A good portion of that is self-induced...I also am working on trying different avenues for relieving that stress such as working out, taking a walk, going to Wal-mart, talking to a friend ---boring my "chics" here at 3FC...etc....

Getting and giving support at this website has had a tremendous positive effect on my success....keeping this weight off is my goal and I am realizing more and more how difficult that is going to be and that I need to give it as much attention as I am giving the weight loss routine right now. I expect to always be keeping a daily accounting of my weight and calorie intake from here on out.

I don't want to forget where I've been...I've lost weight several times before and then slowly gained it all back...I don't want to do that again. I plan on continuing to get and give support here and from the family and friends that have been supportive...not everyone is but what can you do about that...I'm focusing on the bigger picture...

I'm glad you asked....sorry I got so long-winded.

Last edited by GeorgiaLady; 09-29-2003 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:32 PM   #534  

Wow, very inspiring and informative, thanks.

Lisa
friendsforfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #535  

I am just cracking up at the little "blah blah" smiley....
Old 09-30-2003, 09:58 AM   #536  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning all!

first, welcome, Rivergal! I hope you find this thread as helpful as I have. These ladies are GREAT!

Idealperson, sorry I haven't commiserated with you yet on the temporary cramped quarters, while your house is being cleaned. And jeez, having that criminal threaten you...yikes!

aphil, speedy sewing thoughts to you during this super-busy time of yours. My husband and I love Halloween, but I never seem to think ahead to some spectacular costume...just end up digging something out of our Halloween-past bags and throwing it together.

GeorgiaLady, congrats on the new smaller-sized jeans!!! that is a great feeling. $50 for jeans; how much does it date me if I say I remember jeans being like $9.99 for Lees!?!

My seasonal job at the private club is ending in just three weeks; I have two job offers now (for winter/spring) that I have to decide on. If possible, I might do part-time for both of them; I think I like that idea. Let's see if THEY like it

It is beautiful out right now, but a bit chilly (mid-50's). I think I want to suit up, take the digital camera and go for a ride, and maybe get some nice foliage shots. I think I'd rather do that than cut the grass Good thing my younger son is in school, so he doesn't see my bad choice of "what I want to do, verses what I should do"

Have a great day; exercise; drink water; eat healthy and smart!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #537  

hi,
just a quick bio. i am 62 years old and male. i was a truck driver but am now retired. i am single (date now and then) and live in a big city with my cat. i have been heavy most of my life (200lbs. at 5'8") about 4 months ago a friend told me about a guy named Jim Karas who is always of the
Good Morning America show. He helped Diane Sawyer lose and keep off a bunch of pounds,so I bought his book and gave it a try. i am now down to 185 lbs. My goal is 155 and i hope to be there by spring/summer of 2004. i am dong some strenght and resistance training as a work out and watching my calorie intake. but as we all know its sticking to the plan that makes it work. i guess this wasn't a quick bio, i seem to ramble. oh, the name of the book is Flip The Switch.
SWIMMER40
swimmer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 02:50 PM   #538  

hi swimmer! Great to have you here-bope you don't mind being here with all of us ladies!!! It sounds like you are off to a good start-losing at a slow an steady pace with a better diet and exercise! Good for you! Feel free to post here anytime!
Aphil
Old 10-04-2003, 05:28 AM   #539  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning all!

Welcome swimmer! Sounds like you are right on track with taking control of your weight, and slowly but surely getting healthier. Good to always have another person here!

We're going to a friend's wedding after work today - too bad rain is forcast, 'cause we would have taken the bikes there. I am so glad that I can enjoy another benefit of all this hard work - not stressing on what to wear!!! Remember those "tightest black pants in the universe" from last year? I don't have many occasions to wear them, but I will today, with a nice funky black blouse that has these cool, square brass buttons up the front, and the back; and a pair of chunky-ish black boots. Yeah to feeling good about what to wear!!!

Have a great day everyone!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 10:56 PM   #540  
Starting Over Again!

Hey Holly---bet you looked great!!! It's nice to feel confident about what you're wearing...I've got my little list of items I hope to feel confident about wearing soon.

Getting ready to close up the pool and trying to get a few last details taken care of like building steps from the house to the patio and doing a little painting. I am so ready to finish this project and take a break...I need one of those "Mommy's Day Out" that I used to take when my DS was little...actually, I might need a whole weekend.

Looks like Arnold's doing pretty well in the polls...was just watching a documentary on A & E...talk about starting at the bottom...what an amazing story.

It's getting late...past 11 p.m.....got to get some sleep. Hope everyone's having a great week!