General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 AM   #376  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default *hugs* for Nancy

Nancy.... what terrible news and my heart goes out to you and your sister. I just hope it all works out in the end and that she comes out of the surgery just fine. Keep us updated on how things are going, we are all thinking and praying for you both.

Nola.
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:36 AM   #377  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good Monday! I just finished working my upper body for 35 minutes, had some water, and am posting. I need to get my tush in there and get my abs and lower body done!
I have been really busy, Jason went to the lake over the weekend, and my mom came up and spent the night with my and the kids. They thought it was the coolest thing-to have Mamaw stay with them instead of the other way around. We took them to the park, rented them Sleeping Beauty at the video store, and took them out for lunch. They had a really nice time.
I indulged a little over the weekend, and it is just about TOM, so I need to get busy, because the scale showed a little creep upward this morning...and I need to get that under control rght this minute and not let a couple pounds turn into 10...we have all been there. I want to get it right back where it was, and get it going down even further after that! I have been staying steady at about 176 for quite a while, and have been steady in my workouts, but it is the little nibbles, bites, and licks that are keeping the scale from going down any further.
I have been doing a lot of sewing lately, and finishing a few last things for my stepbrother's wedding on the 26th...it is coming up so fast. Jasmine is SUPPOSED to be a flower girl...we shall see. I don't know if she will actually be able to do it or not, with everyone looking at her.
Well, I best get going and work these buns and legs...have a good day ladies.
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #378  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

I'm dealing with the "good news"/"bad news" stuff this week.

The Bad News: The repairs and extras associated with the pool are costing much more than I anticipated. The pool is STILL GREEN!! The "critical" part of the pool pump assembly was damaged and they had to re-order it. The yard is a slick muddy mess.

The Good News: A relative is giving me some $ to help with the pool project...a true "no strings attached" gift. The pool part came in today. The electrician showed up. We accepted a bid to put a screened enclosure over the pool. The pool will NOT be GREEN much longer!! And....Drumroll here.......I am back down to my pre-vacation weight!!

I have to tell you that I'm so excited about going ahead with the screened enclosure...it will help so much with the bugs and debris in the pool. We will also have some "semi-clear" roofing over and out from the house about 16 feet which will provide shade and protection from rain. I had given up on getting the enclosure and figured it would just be a fence but then I found this company that specializes in enclosures and pool enclosures just about 30 minutes from here.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper and just had to share with you. I'm hoping to keep focused on eating right and journaling my calories so that I can continue losing weight. I want to get into the 140's ASAP and clicking on down to 149 will be a big boost for me. I've got a wedding to go to in 3 weeks and I want to look the best that I can...I'm finally starting to feel good about myself for the first time in a long time....

Talk to you all later...
GeorgiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 06:58 PM   #379  
caffeine free!

Hello,
I just got back from Winnipeg late last night. I am still dragging. Ate really poorly.

Nancy, I am so sory to hear about your news. I hope everything is going as well as can be expected for now. Hopefully things will go well with the surgery and the new treatment team for you sister. I hope she has doctors now that she feels confident in. Please let us know.

I hope everyone is doing ok. It is kind of the mid summer blahs arround here. Too much to do, too little time. Totally blew off syudying this weekend and am now living in regret.

At any rate, back to the books.
zadie k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 08:16 PM   #380  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally posted by zadie k
Totally blew off syudying this weekend and am now living in regret.
zadie k, at least you helped me today! After reading that, I jumped up and just did what I needed to do, even though I didn't want to (which was a week's worth of laundry). Even when I totally don't want to do something, the regret at the end of the day is even worse, isn't it. So just do it!

Hey, I see we have even more new smilies to choose from! Thanks, whoever the Giver of Smilies is!

oh no, if Aphil has to get tough on herself...watch out for kicking your own rear end just kidding you know, let us know if you need the drill sargeant routine from us!

Had a compliment from a guy in traffic today; I was on the bike, and concentrating on watching the car in front of me, which was behaving suspiciously (I had an intuition that he/she was going to stop abruptly) when I heard a guy's voice from a vehicle say "suh-weeeeet!" Even if he only meant the bike it made me happy

GeorgiaLady, best wishes on getting the pool just the way you want it, as soon as possible!

Kanola, congrats on how great you are doing on your program! I have some more bike-related stuff that I'll share with you pm-wise, so I don't bore the others

Idealperson, wow, what huge decisions you have to make. Obviously you are an educated and informed person, and I'm sure that you always make the best possible decision. But don't lt some sweet snacky foods do in your hard work! Take out your frustrations on some crunchy carrots or long-to-chew celery!

Nancy, how are you doing? We were all so immediately concerned about your sister, of course, but then there was the news that you found a doctor that LISTENS to you and has your trust that he/she will help you! That is wonderful!!

I just realized, the other night, that it is now a habit for me NOT to prepare a starch for our night meal. I'm okay without it, and I tell the boys that they can have a slice of whole wheat bread/toast if they want, but mostly we have a serving of protein, and lots of veggies - Dole-type green salad (and yes, aphil, we try to get the "greener selections" ) and cooked veggies. Once in a while we will have corn or peas; and of course some nights we do have spaghetti or ravioli; but the days of automatically cooking potatoes or rice or pasta are out. And I think that's okay.

We are not having a wet summer - though I know many folks in many other parts of the country are - I can get away with cutting the grass only once a week; it's still nice and green, but just not growing like crazy. And I've been able to ride (motorcycle) to work about 98% of the time, woohoo!!

Hello to eveyone else, and I hope everyone is well and happy! And working towards your goal!

Your friend,
Holly
(hoving at 141 this morning!)
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:09 AM   #381  

Ooh Holly...141? Cool.
I am getting strict with myself...I am being strict about the workouts and the food intake-no nibbles or licks, and no finishing anything of the kids. I need to get in control again!
Aphil
Old 07-16-2003, 02:59 PM   #382  

Hello! Finally got back to this site...I weighed in on Monday and was up .4#. I was good 90% of the time, but on Tuesday my friend "Flo" came to visit...(got my period) so that explains it! This week I am trying to be sooo good and stay OP. I am still in the maintenance mode.

Has anyone tried the Slim Fast meal replacement bars? I like the candy bars for a quick 2 point snack, but was wondering if the meal bars were worth the 220 calories (just in a pinch). Are they good tasting and filling?

Great to catch up on all the new posts, keep those motorcycles running (and be safe). Enjoy this great weather

The new construction to this site is great!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #383  
caffeine free!

Hello,
Just got back from a practice test. It went well. I am within one percent of passing with two weeks to go.

Someone asked, and yes I still have a cycle but it is broken. 1968 gillera 125. I am short so I got a short bike. Used to have a kawasaki kz400 but it was a little too tall and I did not feel quite comfortable. So now I can just putput along which is perfect in the city.

Well, back to the grind. Tonight it is more flashcards. Yuck.
zadie k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 AM   #384  

Idealperson-the Slim Fast snack bars/candy bars are really good-and they are great for the occasional "gotta have my chocolate" attacks-it is better to have 130 calories of sugar then 250 in a regular candy bar...and they taste really good.
The meal bars, since there are so much vitamins and stuff added to them-do not taste that great. They have a lot of sugar in them and less in the taste department-so I would avoid those. They are chalky/grainy...and you can have a much more tasty snack or mini meal for 220 calories.
I had a great workout in class last night-since I have started my continuing class-I have really been working up a sweat each week in there! I am really learning how to play finger cymbals really well...and I talked to my teacher about taking a few private lessons later on so that I can learn to balance swords...(what I have always wanted to do!) She does that privately, because not everyone wants to learn it, or pay for their own sword. I am excited that she DOES teach it though...that should be an empowering experience!!!!!
I am working on my husband's stormtrooper costume-hoping to have it ready by Halloween. I will have to get a pic up when it is done-you really won't believe it when you see it. He is going to be the coolest dad taking the kids to rick or treat this year...
I have been slowly easing into some of my new exercise videos that I got in the exchange-I love it. I have done the basic Stott Pilates, the Walk Away the Pounds 2 mile, and the Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight. I have a few more still to try-and couple on the way. It is just like Christmas.
I had a girl send me 5 videos last week for making her a belly dance top in exchange...I got two belly dance videos, and 3 strength training ones which I am going to try tomorrow! It is working out so great for me...now I think I will need a larger video cabinet for my birthday in October!
Aphil
Old 07-17-2003, 12:35 PM   #385  

Thanks Aphil on the insight of the Slim Fast bars. I hated to buy a box and have them go to "waist". That stuff usually tastes like the box that they come in. I do like some of their candy bars, infact...a little too much! But when you need chocolate, you need it!

Today I was feeling a little fun, so I am wearing a white eyelet tank top with a neon green jumper. It's the first size 10 I have worn in 10 years! I felt like something bright and it is lifting my spirits. Wish you could see me...the jumper hides my stomach! My problem area-but after 4 kids it could be worse!

Have a great day everyone!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 PM   #386  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone!

Idealperson - that outfit sounds so cute, and how uplifting for your spirit, to feel cute and attractive, and it was all due to your hard work! Yay!

aphil, balancing swords?! Whoa! Double Whoa!!

Hey, I thought of you all today, at work, when I was dumping a 4o pound bag of sugar into the bin - on the side is listed the nutritional info, and serving size was 1 teaspoon - shall I leave this open as a fun trivia question, and ask you all to guess how many servings there were in that 40 pound box of sugar? I think I will let you all hazard a guess! *and round it off to the hundred, because I forget the last two digits

Well, my 141 weight was fleeting - now back to the regular 142. Oh well!

Have a great night, everyone, and a great day tomorrow!

Your friend,
Holly
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:51 PM   #387  
Starting Over Again!

S/C/G: 185/119/125

2560 servings? I'm guessing 4 teaspoons in an ounce and 16 ounces in a pound times 40 pounds.

This makes me feel like I'm playing, "The Price is Right!"

What's scary is that I've eaten no telling how many pounds of sugar over the years.

I definitely was stressing today...but I snacked on my safety net of "okay" snacks and still kept the total cal's around 1800. I must do better tomorrow though!!
GeorgiaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 09:53 AM   #388  

Georgia Lady-I think it is perfectly alright to snack a LITTLE when you are stressed or at that TOM, as long as you did what you did and keep it at a reasonable level-just a couple hundred more than normal. I often do the same thing myself at TOM, because it is either eat 200 more calories for 2 days, or hold off until I can't any more and then binge on junk...so indulging a little-but keeping control at the same time is a good coping habit. Besides-soon you will be at goal, and then you can eat around 1700-1800 calories every day as long as you continue with your exercise for maintenance! Wonderful things will continue to happen as you maintain your weight when you stick with the exercise-you will continue to get stronger and firmer, expecially if you continue to challenge yourself as time goes by...like walking 2 miles instead of one, or raising your weights in weight training, or Doing Walk Away the Pounds 4 mile tape instead of the 2 mile one...there is a way to advance your exercise to get even fitter no matter what type of exercise that you enjoy!
Holly-yes, balance swords! Namely...on my head, my chest above my bosom, the side of my hip, and on my knee with my leg bent and lifted up. Now I just need to ask the old hubby for a belly dancing sword for my birthday in October... I could print out a few pictures with website information and stick it in one of his Harley magazines....
I am trying some new tapes today for my strength training-it is a series of tapes by Tamilee Webb-each has a couple different 15 minute workouts on them-I Want Thos Arms! (for arms and upper body) I Want Those Abs! (for abs and back) and I Want Those Buns! (for butt and legs) You just pick a 15 minute workout from each, and you can do them separately, but I will do them one after another for a full 45 minute strength training routine.
I have Denise Austins Hit The Spot series tapes, which are similar-I have had them for a few years and they are staples in my workout. They each have three 10 minute workouts, each for upper body, abs, butt, and legs. I like it because I get a 40 minute strength training routine and it changes each time. I have body building books by Joyce Vedral, Rachel McLish, and BFL-and I find that in a lot of strength training tapes that they are doing the same exercises-just in videos lighter weights are used. I just advance them by upping my weights a bit, because I like following with a video rather than a book. I am looking forward to trying these new tapes today-and seeing how I like this strength training workout.
I have been a little frazzled the past week-my stepbrother's wedding is next Saturday (one week, one day) and I have so much to do-my mother in law and I are making the wedding cake-4 round tiers high, stacked right on top of one another-and it will be decorated really simple and elegant. Plain white icing, and a mauve wide ribbon around each layer. The icing border around the edges will be more elegant-not the traditional shell type of border, but with a round large tip-that makes the border look like "beads" or a large string of pearls. I am sure Holly knows what I am talking about.
I have the same type of border on my wedding cake a few years ago...we had 5 round layers stacked, with a layer of fall flowers and autumn leaves between each layer...it was gorgeous. Crimsons, burnt oranges, burgandies, browns, and gold...
Our whole reception hall was filled with Indian corn and pumpkins and the colors of autumn. I loved my wedding day...
Alysha's is going to be a little more traditional with mauve and silver as her colors. My theme was autumn Renaissance Faire, and hers is "simple and elegant." No laces, frills, or ruffles anywhere. Nothing puffy. Her dress is a simple strapless gown with a little light embroidery, and the bridesmaids are simple stright mauve gowns with spaghetti straps...Nothing is "foo-foo" girly. (ie-no dresses with a big satin bow on the butt!)

I am really just frazzled about setting up the cake, and getting back in time to get Jasmine's hair done (flower girl) and getting her and myself ready in time to get her to the church for pictures before the wedding.
Well, I better go-I need to get some laundry done, and get to sewing and exercising.
Aphil
Old 07-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #389  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Aphil, your wedding sounds like it was beautiful!
I'm still to this day dissappointed in my wedding.
I was married in October (but planned for August originally). I wanted a beach wedding so since I'd started planning around that theme, I stuck with it in October, even though we were now getting married in my in-laws backyard! I really should've gone with an Autumn theme. I LOVE Autumn, its my favorite season!
Some day, when I've lost all this weight (notice i say WHEN not IF!!), I plan to renew my vows. I was thinking of doing it on the beach somewhere but the longer I think about it, the more I think I might prefer to go to the mountains and do a little ceremony there with the changing leaves and whatnot!

Okay, so now that I'm totally off topic for this board ... lol... I may as well continue on...
I really envy you your skills... sewing, cake decorating... you sound so creative! I mentioned to my mom that I'd like a sewing machine for Christmas but I don't think I could get nearly as creative as you! *sigh*

Annnnyway... on the weight loss subject, I'm doing great still. Sticking with this WW thing. I still have to add in the exercise on a regular basis though. But, even without it, I'm now down 6 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks! One more pound and I'll break the 170 barrier and reach my first mini goal of 169!!!

Christine
176/170/130
mini-goal: 169
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #390  

silence-you are doing great on WW! Sounds like it was just what you needed...
I have always been creative...always doodling as a kid, sketching...a normal factory or office type job was never for me. If you get a sewing machine, just start with simple patterns like tote bags or throw pillows to get you started, and get you to learn your machine and good technique. At Wal-Mart in their pattern they have "For Dummies" patterns that are good-because they explain things like how to put in a zipper, how to put in elastic, etc. easier for beginners. Just start simple, and work your way up. Let your creativity come from choosing what fabrics to use, and just take things from there.
Aphil