General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #91  

I'm getting so I don't care for summer. When it stays so hot for so long, I just don't feel like going anywhere. We always go to Bible study on Wed. night, worship on Sun. morning and gospel meeting Sun. night but other than that I'd just as soon stay home. Lots of gardening to do.....weeding, etc. and that is even hard to do when it is so hot, humid and no wind. I think we might get a little relief next week. Need to till and pick beans today but should really weed the front flowers. Did the back ones last night right before sundown. Eating is ok but I need to cook more veggies for those leftover veggie sandwiches that really hit the spot in this heat.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carolr and CC The frosty and the jello dish sounds delicious. Especially for summertime eating. I forgot about veggie sandwiches.

The heat really does make me not want to cook. And sandwiches are easier as well as fruit. I've been really hungry for cheese toast and toast with almond butter on it. I had cinnamon toast with almond butter this morning for breakfast. Just too darn hot for anything else.

Haven't heard from kids except on FB. SIL wrote on FB that they were leaving today and would be spending the night in Jacksonville, FL and be here sometime late tomorrow evening. Really praying for their safety as they will be hitting a lot of rain along the way today, but I think it clears off somewhere along this side of SC line tomorrow and isn't supposed to rain again until Sunday. We need the rain though as it kind of cools things down. I can't believe how hot it has been in this country this summer. It almost takes your breath away it is so hot.

Still got those last minute things to do before they get here. Will have lots to do once they arrive. Just remembered that I've got clothes to put in the dryer so better run.

Y'all stay cool and have a good evening.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #93  

Hi Trish. It was supposed to rain here today but it went north and east just barely. Guess I better get the sprinklers going again. Sounds like you will be really busy for awhile with your family.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #94  

Just saw on FB that the kids are on the road again which means they will probably be here at least by 8 or 9 pm depending on how many times they have to stop. DD called early this morning just before 3 am. They were getting ready to stop for the night. DH told her for them to sleep in and leave when the motel says they have to checked out. It appears that is what they did. Hope they will come in tonight and get a good nights sleep and then start unloading in the morning. They have to have the uhaul truck back on Saturday. So they should have time to do that.

My eating is kind of helter-skelter. Not sure I'm eating healthy... just grabbing whatever. Got a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering (youngest granddaughter's favorite) for when they get in. One thing about spaghetti sauce it will last a couple of days and if they get in too late to eat, it always taste better second day.

Carolr We did get rain about 20 minutes after DH mowed the lawn yesterday. It didn't last very long but we have been getting enough lately that the grass (mostly weeds) really looks nice and green without having to water.

Well got things to do before they get here. Hope everyone has a great hump day and staying cool. As you said yesterday Carolr the heat kind of keeps us from doing any more than we have to do. I really feel for those people who have to work in this heat.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #95  

You won't believe it, Trish, it is 1 pm here and only 67 degrees! A front went through but we got very little rain.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #96  

That is great Carolr. I'm happy for you. It was supposed to cool off for a few days here, but it must have gone somewhere else. Now they say 95 to 98. Well, I complain because I remember when it was so cold I couldn't get warm and as my DIL says it isn't as hot here as it is on our soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #97  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

A favorite recipe of my family's:

Vegetarian Lentil Chili
Ingredients
4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12 ounce) packages frozen chopped green peppers
1 (12 ounce) packages frozen chopped onions
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
3 cups water
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
In a large pot, combine undrained tomatoes, rinsed and drained beans, 3 cups water, green peppers, onions, dry lentils, chili powder, and garlic powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1/8 tsp black pepper; heat through. Serve with cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #98  

Quote:
as my DIL says it isn't as hot here as it is on our soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan.
Amen to that! Thanks for the recipe, Susan. I've always wanted a good recipe for lentils.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I thought it would be fun to post some of your favorite food ideas or recipes. Today I remembered how good vegetable sandwiches are. You just put any leftover veggies on you favorite bread. I use leftover zucchini and onions that we had yesterday for dinner. I put it on 12 grain bread and added a little barbeque sauce....yum!! Ate it with watermelon, banana, peach frosty and a little beans.
I saw a later reference to "vegetable sandwiches" and clicked back to see what it was all about. I do that, sort of. I use Pita bread. I cut it in half to make a pocket and stuff everything in there. A lot of my leftover vegetables go into the freezer to use for vegetable soup, but when I don't have leftover vegetables to use, I make a salad and stuff it in my Pita pocket, dressing and all. Sometimes I add a little tuna or pieces of hard boiled egg for protein. It makes a great summer lunch.

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #100  

Quote:
One thing I'm noticing about exercise is that it is making me hungry!!!
Hi Carolr,

I have heard that if exercise makes you hungry, that means you are burning sugar instead of fat. Faster exercise burns sugar, slower exercise burns fat. Are you eating something before you exercise? Don't exercise right after a big meal, but don't exercise on an empty stomach. Exercise reduces my appetite. As much as I hate to get started, I feel exhilerated (sp?) afterwards.

Carol
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #101  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
I am actually eating more Atkins Induction right now although I didn't plan it. It just seems to be what I'm hungry for although I still only eat only when I feel hungry and I don't eat when I'm not hungry. I am absolutely amazed at how little I'm eating and how satisfied I feel. Just curious if anyone else eating IE has found that once they were free to eat what they wanted that they ended up eating the way they had tried eating when dieting. Low carb has so many benefits for diabetics or at least it does for me. I find it interesting that I struggled trying to get back to eating low carb, but when I decided to quit dieting and just eat what I want when hungry and only eat till satisfied that what I'm wanting to eat is low carb. I guess that proves that the body knows what it needs if we will just pay attention and listen.
Low carb is what works for me too and is the best plan for keeping my BS in line, but I have a hard time avoiding bread. Sometimes I will eat a healthy low carb meal, and when I'm finished I don't feel hungry, but I'm craving that piece of bread.

Carol
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #102  

Quote:
Well today I weighed 155. Will I ever stay under 150? And will I ever lose the last 25lb? I've been exercising for 2 mo. and I know the experts say you gain muscle but is that really true? I never seem to lose with exercise. But I started it for help with blood pressure and I enjoy it. I'm 5ft 4.5 in. so 130 would still be a little heavy but I can't imagine ever getting there. Actually, I don't feel too bad about it. I feel so much better than I used to that I hardly think about weight anymore.....only when I get on the scale. ha!
Carolr, I am 5'3 and would be very happy to get to 150! In my 20's and 30's I was in the 130's but I don't think I could get to that now, nor do I think it would be a healthy weight for me. I also don't lose from exercise. I do it for health reasons and have improved my blood pressure and lipids. It's not doing much for my BS, but my eating is the problem there.

Carol
Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #103  

Listening for the shout......
1 Thess. 4:16-17

I was intrigued with this and had to look it up!

After reading this thread I realize that I was doing IE without even knowin what it was. Or should I say, I have been attempting to do it. I do have a habit of snacking when I'm not actually hungry and sometimes it ruins my appetite for dinner. I'm trying to get that under control. I find that I enjoy my dinner a lot more when I don't snack after lunch. I enter my food in Fitday each day and look at the calorie count, but I can't say that I'm actually counting calories. I am just aware of my calorie limit for losing.

Carol

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-28-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #104  

Carol, they say hunger is the best seasoning!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #105  

Didn't get the cool down. It is really unusually hot here. However, I think it is keeping me from being hungry. I'm more interested in drinking ice water which is probably suppressing the appetite. Any way, my FBS is back down below 115 and my weight has started coming down just naturally. I'm really not even dieting. I'm just eating when I am hungry and eating only what I need to eat to feel satisfied. Actually, eating like I did when I was a kid growing up. Automatic IE and it works.

Kids got here late Wednesday night. Far from being settled in. Still have to unload truck and figure out where we are going to put things and what we need to store from our house while they are here.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will check in again when I can. Y'all have a great Friday and weekend.