General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Becky, if you look at faith based support groups there is a thread by a girl named Kelly....I think it is called the power of one thought. She has a book you can read for free online called Flowers Over the Wall. It is IE based.
Thank you for this suggestion, and the link. I'll check it out.

I hope you're all enjoying the day. We've had a couple of fairly decent-temperature days here in Vermont, just getting into the low 80s. I'll take it.

Where my daughter lives, the "real feel" temperature was 116 at 9:30 pm a night or two ago! I would die.

Last edited by Truffle; 08-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #137  

This is by Christie Inge.

Everything you need to know (and no one tells you) about intuitive eating.

I’ve been where you are – sick of feeling deprived and yet not really sure what the next step is in intuitive eating.

And I am here to tell you that you can get to your body’s natural weight without all the crazy making that normally goes along with losing weight. You can drop the shame, the deprivation, the restriction – the obsession.

You can overcome emotional eating, binge eating and compulsive overeating, too.
Intuitive Eating 101

Learning to eat intuitively can be an overwhelming process – as someone who has not only been there but also teaches people about the process, I’d like to offer you some of the most important aspects of the process. Unfortunately, it isn’t linear or cut and dry the way your typical diet is – it is a complex process with peaks, valleys and a ton of life lessons along the way. And so, rather than seeing these as rules you need to master – see them as intentions that ebb and flow. Be patient with the process and find the way that works for you.

We are taught to believe that we have to follow a rigid set of rules and that feels confusing with something doesn’t seem to resonate with you. Trust me, I know. I’ve been there and I know how important it is to keep experimenting until you find what feels right. And when that doesn’t feel right anymore – experiment some more. We are always changing and I don’t believe that there is any one right way to do do.

But, what I do believe is that you can have a healthy relationship with food and your body.

Start with Some Basics– Only time will tell what intuitive eating means to you. My philosophy is that you must 100% do what works for you – there are no rigid rules. But, there are some foundational principles that will give you an excellent place to start. Things like:
learning to eat when hungry
or stop eating when full
making peace with food

Self Care is the Most Important Care – As women, we have a tendency to put the needs of others first and this does not allow us to live life to our fullest potential. The only way to ever truly overcome an unhealthy relationship with food is to put your needs back at the top of the list. Start out small – perhaps just adding a short five minute time out for yourself when you get home from work. For many, this involves building assertiveness in relationships and standing up for yourself in situation where you haven’t before.

Never Stop Learning – I have been at this intuitive eating thing for over four years and along the way have learned that the most important thing is to keep learning from your experiences. Accept that this process is bumpy and sometimes, down right ugly. Try not to compare yourself to others, if you read enough of my history – you will see that I am just like you – only in a different place along the way. It doesn’t happen overnight but if you allow the process to happen naturally – it will be one amazing ride.

I can’t say it enough – the most important thing with this is hanging in there. Be ok with where you are and be open to the possibilities! I will leave you with my favorite quote about this process:

The shape of your body obeys the shape of your beliefs about love, value, possibility. To change your body, you must first understand that which is shaping it. – Geneen Roth
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carolr Thanks for another great article. My IEing has taken hold now and it actually works. Eating like your diabetic friend's doctor told him to eat. My weight is coming off slowly but my fasting blood sugar reading is really good. So it proves that IE can work and be healthy.

House boarders are in process of settling in. It is difficult at times when you want privacy, but I've decided I am going to roll with it and not let any bad stuff get to me. I think it is time for me to learn something from it... patience if nothing else. We are supposed to get a little bit of relief from the heat this week. Very little. LOL

Hope everyone has a great week end.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #139  

Quote:
To this day I wonder if those Herbalife tablets had anything to do with my thyroid going on the fritz. I'll probably never know.
I wonder if there is a connection, too, Becky.

Quote:
It is difficult at times when you want privacy, but I've decided I am going to roll with it and not let any bad stuff get to me. I think it is time for me to learn something from it... patience if nothing else.
I know what you mean, Trish. At the wedding this summer my room was used as a hair salon!! I had to get ready in my closet about ten minutes before the wedding. I'm not too fussy clothes or hair wise so it didn't really matter. ha!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #140  

Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A busy day today. DH had to go for 3 month check up with the primary doc and also had to go for tests this afternoon ordered by the cardiologist to be sure there were no more clots and everything seems to be fine. Still have to wait until we see the cardiologist for the result of the echo.

FBS is doing very well and I'm doing very well. Weight is hung in one spot but hope it will go down more later. I'm still enjoying IE and having no problem with it. The doc and I decided to double my Metformin and it helps in 2 ways... curbs appetite and is supposed to keep the diabetes from getting any worse. So I'm not sure how much of my not being hungry much is the heat and how much is the medicine.

Hope everyone is having a good evening.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #142  

Hi, ladies...I had to come here to write today because I'm driving myself nuts with my yo-yo'ing.

Every morning my dh and I get up and "say" that we're either counting calorie or low carbing, then we blow it by about mid-morning. My heart just isn't in dieting of any kind, but I can't afford to gain another pound.

In a short-lived frenzy of motivation last week, I told my sisters I'd join them in another "serious weight loss attempt". We're not supposed to eat any junk, and we're supposed to exercise for ten minutes each day. I haven't followed that at all, except for the first day when I was all gung-ho about it.

It's just been TOO HOT this summer to do anything other than the basic necessities of life. I haven't gone for a walk at all, but, boy, do I ever need to start that back up.

When our dog was alive, I had a reason to get out every day and walk at least a little. He died in January, so I don't even have my little walking buddy to get me out the door.

In ten days, my daughter and her family will be here to move in with us, and I have a lot to do before then, but I have no energy to do it.

I need to pull myself up by my bootstraps and get busy.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #143  

Becky, for the last few months I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I find that Leslie Sansone is very inspiring and you don't have to think about the weather. One thing I noticed is that I haven't been taking near the pain meds that I used to. I like to do it twice a day if possible. It's fun!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #144  

Oh, and Youtube has 2 fifteen minute walks for free.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #145  

Quote:
Becky, for the last few months I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I find that Leslie Sansone is very inspiring and you don't have to think about the weather. One thing I noticed is that I haven't been taking near the pain meds that I used to. I like to do it twice a day if possible. It's fun!!!
Thanks, Carol! I went to You Tube and found one of the walks you were talking about.

I think I'll try it!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #146  

Here's an excerpt from an interesting blog post I read this morning about diets and weight loss:

"Interesting too is the idea that given “permission” (I think the interviewer means a moratorium on dieting), people would naturally just get fat. I find that curious. We have the highest rates of obesity ever recorded, and also the highest rates of dieting.

Strikes me that one possibility is that the more people are taught to hand eating and physical movement decisions over to someone else, say Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, the greater the “obesity” problem has proven to be. With a 98% failure rate for diets, can you imagine buying such a product if it were a television or a car? Not hardly.

But with diets, we “blame the victim.” For clearly, if you stick with the plan, it does result in weight loss (usually). True enough. But no one can stick to an outside set of rules forever, and that is the requirement for permanent weight change."

The whole post can be found here.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #147  

Thanks Becky. Very interesting.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #148  

OK, it's bedtime and you're a little hungry. Should you eat?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #149  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default I agree!

Quote:
Thanks Becky. Very interesting.
I agree. Thanks Becky. Very interesting, would be interesting if they did a study on those who have successfully done IE and see what is their success rate of keeping it off.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #150  

Quote:
OK, it's bedtime and you're a little hungry. Should you eat?
I do, but then, I'm not a very good example!