General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, ladies...One week until my daughter and her family get here. I can't wait.

Here's something I realized after grocery shopping yesterday.

It's just dh and me at home now. We went and bought "healthy" groceries yesterday, lots of fresh foods.

The only problem is, now I feel like we have to hurry up and eat them so they don't go bad, but that means eating quite large amounts of stuff.

For instance, we bought a watermelon. It was one of those small seedless ones, but still, that's a lot of watermelon for two people.

We bought a package of spring mix greens for salads, but there again, the brand we prefer comes in packages that are way too big for two people, and it's kind of expensive, so I don't want to end up throwing a bunch of it on my compost pile.

I bought a large container of yogurt, because the price was cheaper than buying individual tubs, but that means that we have to eat it fast now, before it goes bad. In this case, the few cents we saved by buying the large tub--I think I'm going to go back to buying the individual tubs. At least it'll keep longer in the refrigerator.

I also find it a challenge to cook for just two people. I constantly make way more than we need. If possible, I always freeze the extra, but if it's something that won't freeze, there again, we feel like we have to eat a lot of it so we don't waste it.

Example: I made macaroni salad, way too much, but it won't freeze, so we'll need to eat extra large portions so it won't go bad.

Cooking less shouldn't be too hard though. I'll just have to pay attention to it more.

Once my daughter gets here, I should be able to share some things with her that come in packages too large for us.

Just some things I observed after shopping yesterday.

I hope you're all enjoying your Friday. It's beautiful here in Vermont today, sunny, but not too hot.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I think you can freez watermelon juice...not sure though. You can use yogurt for marination and smoothi. Can you freeze smoothi?
On dr. Oz show, they said you can mix 2-3fruit bled them put some condiments,lemon if required, truvia etc and make cubes in ice trey. Then you can suck them whenever you are hungry...notbtried though
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #153  

Quote:
I also find it a challenge to cook for just two people. I constantly make way more than we need.
After cooking for ten kids for years, I find this a challenge. Puneri, those ice cubes sound good. I have frozen fruit, including watermelon, for years to make smoothies...... my favorite is watermelon, banana, and peaches. Talk about buying in large quantities, my dh brought home a lug of peaches and I don't know how we will ever finish them. After freezing about 70 qt. of corn yesterday, I don't feel like freezing anything right now. ha!
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #154  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default No I would not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
OK, it's bedtime and you're a little hungry. Should you eat?
I would not because I would have reflux and heartburn all night, and if I eat I will need to drink to wash it down and I already have to get up and potty a few times I would just take my Melatonin and go to bed and fall asleep.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #155  

We never make smoothies at our house--I don't know why. Just never occurs to us, I guess.

I didn't know you could freeze watermelon either. Do you just cut it in chunks and throw it in a freezer bag, or do you have to do something else to it too?

I'm waiting for the Amish peaches to come into the stores and farm stands around here. Those are always delicious.

Wow, Carol, that's a lot of corn to process in one day! I told my dh not to go crazy when he buys corn because I do NOT have the energy to deal with it this year. I usually freeze a bunch.

I love the homegrown taste in the middle of the winter, but we've got way too much going on here at the moment, trying to get ready for when my daughter and her family arrive.

If you get a spurt of energy, maybe you could make some peach pies and freeze them for later?

Last edited by Truffle; 08-12-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well it has been 2 week since DD, her hubby and 4 children and dog moved in. We are beginning to get adjusted to each other. Quite different from when it was just DH and me. Kids start school next week and DD got her scholarship and financing approved and starts nursing school sometime in October. DSIL has finished his 1st weeks training on his new job. The baby wasn't real happy but now that we are feeding him more, he seems better satisfied.

Becky Does your DD have any children?

My eating has been pretty good. My fasting blood sugar is good so I am really pleased with that.

CC, Carolr, puneri and others

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-12-2011 at 10:23 PM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #157  

Quote:
I already have to get up and potty a few times
Me too.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #158  
I am more than weight.

Becky I understand, it's just hubby and I, we just have to buy in smaller quantities, it may be more expensive, but it is better than having to throw it out, which in the long run will end up costing more. We are lucky to live within 1 mile of a grocery store and one of my businesses is in the same shopping center as the store so we can go everyday if we have to. The only problem if companies make things geared to singles or couples is they go up on the price for the convienience (sp?) of buying smaller. Go figure!!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #159  

Trish, it's good to hear that you are all adjusting to being in one house together.

My daughter has four children (but two of them already live up here with their dad), FOUR DOGS, and two cats.

It'll be interesting trying to fit everyone and their stuff in here. We have a small house.

I can't wait to see them!

CC, yes, that is odd that companies charge more for smaller packages, but I guess it's been like that for a long time.

We live close to a grocery store too, but I find that the more I stay out of it, the more money I save, so I try to load up on what we need once a month, then see how long we can go between shopping trips.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #160  
I am more than weight.

Good for you Becky. We usually go to the store after church and maybe once during the week, it all depends on if we need anything. Have a blessed day all.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Becky My house is not really that small, but it is surprising how small it seemed to become when they got their stuff moved in. I think that was what made it hard for me at first because I felt the squeeze of having to move things around so they could move in. I am actually adjusting to it and decided that I am going to enjoy this time we have with them here and try to make a special thing for all of us. We have lived her for 5 years with no family near us and although it is cramped, we won't be alone without family and the grandbaby will get to know his Grandad and me. In fact, we think he is already starting to say Nanny in his little baby talk. He is starting to learn to repeat things I say to him. He can say "yes" which is unusual for a baby to learn before they learn the word "no". So it is going to be fun to watch him learn new things. I will probably be doing most of the taking care of him once his Mommy starts nursing school.

CatholicCajun When we lived in a country store, we always had to pay more for things for the convenience of getting it locally. Then things changed when Wal-Mart moved in because we didn't have to travel 45 miles to get things cheaper. When I would drive 45 miles to see my parents, I would go buy special things I wanted at Target and Wal-Mart and other stores before we got the Wal-Mart.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #162  

Trish, How old is the baby?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #163  

Interesting.

How much protein do you really need?

by Yahoo!Green, on Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:48pm PDT

By Sarah B. Weir and Lori Bongiorno
Posted Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:04pm PDT More from Green Picks blog

Guess how much protein is in a juicy, 8-ounce cheeseburger washed down with a milkshake? This single meal contains two to three times as much as most people need per day.

It’s no great surprise that Americans chow down on a lot of protein. We love beef and consume about 67 pounds per capita annually (that’s four times the international average). The popularity of low-carb regimes such as Atkins has also made meat the go-to food for dieters.

In fact, the average person eats about double the amount of protein that their body requires, according to the results of 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
How to fulfill your daily protein requirement

The human body uses protein to repair damaged cells and to build new ones. Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition at NYU and author of What to Eat, estimates that the average adult man needs about 65 grams of protein a day and the average adult female needs about 55 grams. Some sources, such as the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization say you can maintain a healthy diet with even less.

What does this actually mean in terms of food choices? The National Institutes of Health explains that most people can meet their daily protein requirement by eating two to three small servings of a protein-rich food a day.

Examples of a single serving of protein include:

1 egg
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
2-3 ounces of red meat, poultry, or fish (about the size of a deck of cards)
½ cup of cooked dried beans such as black beans or chickpeas

Whole grains, seeds, and some vegetables also contain protein, so consuming enough is not difficult even if you don’t eat meat. Vegetarians and vegans can easily get what they need by balancing complimentary proteins such as corn and beans or rice and tofu. Nutritionists used to recommend combining foods at the same meal, but research now shows that is unnecessary.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #164  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Becky My house is not really that small, but it is surprising how small it seemed to become when they got their stuff moved in. I think that was what made it hard for me at first because I felt the squeeze of having to move things around so they could move in. I am actually adjusting to it and decided that I am going to enjoy this time we have with them here and try to make a special thing for all of us. We have lived her for 5 years with no family near us and although it is cramped, we won't be alone without family and the grandbaby will get to know his Grandad and me. In fact, we think he is already starting to say Nanny in his little baby talk. He is starting to learn to repeat things I say to him. He can say "yes" which is unusual for a baby to learn before they learn the word "no". So it is going to be fun to watch him learn new things. I will probably be doing most of the taking care of him once his Mommy starts nursing school.
Trish, I'm glad the adjustment seems to be going well. What a BLESSING it is to be able to have the grandbaby so near for a time!

What you said is what I'm thinking for us too. After having them so far away for three years, I plan to ENJOY the time of having them here as much as possible, even though there will most likely be some challenges, due to space.

Last edited by Truffle; 08-15-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #165  

How discouraging--I'm right back to my high starting weight again today.

I wish I could get a little traction, and get back on the losing path.

Some of this is my own fault though, because it's been hot, and I haven't been eating according to true hunger signals. I've even tried to (more or less) count calories for a few days, and thought I was doing well, but I'm not really.

Even if I do fine all day, I wreck everything at night by eating sugar cereal before bed.

Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, and Cocoa Pebbles have all been on the late-night snack menu this past week. I thought it was better than eating chocolate bars, but it doesn't seem to be. It's too easy to eat half a box of cereal when you're just snacking on it dry.

I think my major problem right now is that I'm SO big, I feel like I'll NEVER get any of this weight off. And then I feel somewhat ashamed, because I read on the other boards about people who have taken off nearly TWO HUNDRED pounds!

Hopefully I'll figure it out one of these days.

We're getting some much-needed rain here in Vermont today. I hope you're all enjoying your Monday.