General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 04:27 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Good Sunday everyone!
Well, I have been busy with the family this weekend, so I have not gotten to post about the challenge yet...and everyone else has been busy as well-so I have not gotten everyone's results-BUT, I think I know from all my readings who the January winners are!
The award for "exercise" goes to....Nancy! I chose Nancy for this because she has had such a time these past few months getting motivated to exercise, and she really made the commitment in Janurary with joining Curves and getting in her regular exercise.
The award for "most pounds lost" I believe if I have counted correctly goes to myself, 7 pounds gone this month!
The award for "the holidays are over, and I am not looking back" goes to Kanola, for doing such a good job these past weeks getting back on track!
The award for "maintenance is for life" goes to Holly! Holly has done so well moving up with her exercise and being more careful with her eating habits lately-with the realization that if she goes back to her old lifestyle, the weight will come back. Good for you Holly!
You all have done so well this month! Well, since it is the 2nd of February-I want to have a short challenge that will last 12 days-until Valentines day. In these 12 days, I want everyone to choose one goal either in their fitness or eating plan that they want to work on these 12 days. Choose what is hardest for you, and really try for these 12 days. My goal is going to be trying to get 2 servigs of dairy in each and every day.
Aphil
Old 02-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #122  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally posted by aphil
The award for "maintenance is for life" goes to Holly! Holly has done so well moving up with her exercise and being more careful with her eating habits lately-with the realization that if she goes back to her old lifestyle, the weight will come back. Good for you Holly!
Aphil
WOO HOO!! Thank you, Aphil!! I feel like a little kid who has won something Knowing that at least one responsible person is keeping watch on me will be tremendously helpful! Thanks so much for the recognition. And congrats to the others!!!!!

I did the cheezy 80's video today; it is kinda lame to watch, but a toughie to do! But rewarding to see the slight difference in upper leg muscles. I have started very faint color from the tanning, and that helps to endure the sight of the legs flapping desperately to finish each rep!

Life can be so full of twists and turns...a good friend of mine got involved with a University of Vermont study about weight-loss, and keeping it off for life...she did so well on the program, and with steady walking, and counting calories, lost something like 28 pounds in time to celebrate her 40th birthday. She was so inspiring to me...unfortunately, she has gained it all back, and is so confused as to why she had the "spark" at one time, and can't summon it now. She knows and remembers how wonderful she felt during the time of slimming down, and enjoying her smaller self; she just doesn't know why she can't get to that point again. I don't know what to tell her, except that she did it once, she can do it again.

And of course, in the bigger scheme, the poor Shuttle astronauts...our thoughts and prayers to their families.

Oh! I can add something to my "what is great about losing weight" category -
*when you are in the tanning booth, in a teeny bikini, and the salon's owner's kid is rampaging outside the flimsy door, you don't have the awful fear that he will careen into said flimsy door, knocking it aside, leaving the whole place to gape at your exposed body...I was thinkin', SO WHAT! let 'em look!

Everyone have a great evening!

Your friend, Holly

Oh!!! Nancy and I have an important anniversary coming up! (no, we're not THAT kind of friends ) - I joined 3FC on Feb. 4, 2002! Almost my one year anniversary; and I believe Nancy joined right around then too. HOORAY to our little family here!

Last edited by VermontMom; 02-02-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:03 PM   #123  
Biker Chick!

Angry 'Nola and Sim City

'Nola, I asked my 12-yr.old about Sim City, and he laughed when he heard how long you played that night! And he agreed that it is alot of fun, and very hard to stop!

(in stern, motherly voice) - Now, Nola, we want to make sure that you do not let this get out of hand! Remember, chores first, then fun!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #124  

Hello!
Nola-I totally understand the computer game/video game obsession. My geeky husband will sit there and play for hours on end, not trying to be lazy-but he just gets so into what he is doing. He plays a lot of roleplaying games like IceWind Dale, and Baulders Gate...games that you really get into like Sims. Jason has tried to get me to get some of the Sims Games, like the dating one an the roller coaster one-and I told him no, because I would never get anything done if I got addicted. I have to watch it when I read in bed, because it will be 2am before I realize it!
Holly-I am glad you liked your "award!" I am always watching all of you and rooting you on! I want everyone here to succeed.
Aphil
Old 02-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #125  

Hi all! Congratulations to all of the winners!
My Valentine challenge is to drink water. I really have to work hard to drink it, so it will be quite a challenge. I am going for three big glasses a day. One before lunch, one in the afternoon and one before dinner. That'll be what I'm working on during the next two weeks!
Old 02-03-2003, 02:07 PM   #126  
Long Lost Chickie

Default Questions on Curves

Hi all. Hope you don't mind my intrusion but I heard that some of you are doing Curves and I was hoping for a little info/advice.

I've just terminated my gym membership after almost 3 months of "can't quite get there today" and I was looking into Curves. What little information I have about it makes me think it's more for me. I went on Saturday just to see if I could look around and ask questions but the center near me is still in its "grand opening" phase and doesn't have weekend hours just yet.

Anyway (she said after rambling on long enough) I'm asking if someone could tell me what it's all about, how it works, what it costs, etc. It seems to be more structured classes that you can take 2 or 3 times a week and that's what I really need, I think.

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'll check in again later and thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:31 PM   #127  

Here is the information that I have on Curves:
It is a small center that you go to about 3 times a week, and you work out for 30 minutes each session. From what I have seen, they have various workout equipment in a circle in the room, and you use each machine for a certain amount of minutes for your workout.
Aphil
Old 02-03-2003, 07:52 PM   #128  
Biker Chick!

Hi Jello! Nancy ("Snowey") is our lady here who has started going to Curves...guess she can tell you some more about it.

Ooch - ouch - that is the sound of my newly-worked butt and hip muscles talkin'! It's that "Buns of Steel" video...effective! I have great hopes, combining that with the Gilad lower-body tape, along with my others. Feeling good! well, good about exercising - but sore!

I am thinking that the tanning is helping my serotonin levels, as I haven't felt terribly blue since I started. The real test will be one week before TOM; that's when I truly see the world in shades of gray/black.

tryin'hard, I'm wishing you luck in getting that water down! Does it help if it isn't ice-cold, or do you like it that cold? I like mine closer to room temperature; I can chug it down easier that way. But with dinner, I guess I like drinking it cold.

Aphil, you would have been proud of my low-fat calzones that I made last night. I made the calzone dough, and for the filling I sauteed just a little chicken breast; then dumped in onions, green peppers, broccoli, green beans, red peppers; mixed all with some spaghetti sauce just to hold it together. Rolled out the dough into circles; put about 1/2 cup filling on each, crimped and sealed; let them rise a bit, then baked them. The guys were drooling as they whiffed the aroma! Then served them with some sauce on the side, and big green salad and raw carrots. I stuck to having one, though I wanted more! DH and DS had seconds, though. (p.s. - it was only after they demolished them that my son asked, "isn't there usually cheese in these? or on them?")

Have a good night, everyone!

Your friend, Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 03-14-2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:19 AM   #129  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default :)

Hey girls!! Thanks for the award Aphil!! Makes me want to keep on!!

Thanks also for the support with my Sim City addiction... I have not played since Friday (i really sound like an addict) and will play again once I have reached some goals.... now how controlled is that! Woohoo!

The pedometer is pretty cool. The setting you can have it on is one that tells you when you have reached the 'healthy level' of movement for the day. I reached this level after 6350 steps or 3.5 km and then earned an exercise point after another 2000 or so steps and about 1.2 km... very interesting. I read that the Heart Foundation recommends 10,000 steps. Well... to reach my goal yesterday I walked to the train station .... consciously walked more during the day (I have a desk job), walked for 30 mins at lunch and then had another walk in the evening for about 15 mins..... Very intesting eh? If anything, this will give me an additional kick in the pants !!!

I even went to the Gym this morning!! Hey!! Whassup with that???

Holly - - GRRRRR Employers can be so frustrating!! Good work with the videos!! I found your post about your friend very interesting. On Saturday night I went out with 2 friends and had a 'girl's night out'. One of them related a story very similar to yours..... makes you realise that losing is only part of the battle. I hope your friend finds her spark again.

Well chickies... I must get some work done, dinner is in the steamer and a friend is stopping by later on to say Hi. Everyone is having good weeks I am sure!!

Bye for now!

Old 02-04-2003, 03:21 AM   #130  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default I forgot my goal!!

Duh!!

My goal is to get my lazy morning butt to the gym at least 3 times a week!!!

Old 02-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #131  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default I'm Here...

...but only for a brief moment. I am so swamped with school and the family. I joined the Alpha Betta Gamma Honor Society afterall...in case I hadn't mentioned it. Which means i will be very busy studying in order to maintain my GPA. We also were approved for an auto loan and bought my dad's 1999 Ford F-150. Then DH started a new job this Monday. Gawsh everything is happening and quickly. I also joined the 100 mile challenge at school again. I am aiming to get 100 miles in this challenge.

Congratulations to all the achievers. They are well deserved. My challenge for the challenge you all speak of is to not stress eat. With everything happening I am bound to stress eat especially as tests come up in the semester.

I am out of here to get some homework and studying done. If anyone would like to see our new baby (truck) click on the link below to go to my website. http://r_aniroc.tripod.com/writingpo...002/index.html

I will check back in when I get a chance and forgive me if I become uninvolved from time to time. Keep up the great work Ladies you all are truly amazing.
Kina
Old 02-05-2003, 09:10 AM   #132  

Kina-that is great on getting another vehicle! We need to do that this year sometime-our 1995 Grand Am has just about had it! We have been too busy over the past few years with having children, buying a house, and so on to ever get another one! And my dad is a GM/Olds/Pontiac/Buick salesperson! (My dad also does not fit any of the usual stereotypes of a car salesman-ha ha)
I think that a goal of not stress eating is a good goal. I was very stressed out yesterday-with this past week of doing taxes, having PMS, and every other little thing going on-that I just cried yesterday for no reason. I just felt overwhelmed. I feel better today though-but I had to have a little chocolate yesterday.
Aphil
Old 02-06-2003, 12:55 AM   #133  

Hi girls,,

Still trying to recover from my illnesses. It sure seems to take this antibiotic a while to kick in.
The arm is getting a bit better but still babying it alot. I dont want to do anymore damage.

Weigh in today was awful, I was up 3 pounds. I was completely on program this week so that is what makes it so hard. Does anyone know if antibiotics can make you gain weight? I would be more acceptable of this gain if I knew it was from something that I did wrong, but was I was perfect!
I also have been drinking tons of water as that is what i was told to due with this antibiotic.
I will try not to let this get to me and continue to journal and be OP.

Kina~~ Congrats on the new truck, I looked at your pic of it. It is very nice !!!!!

Amy~~ So sorry that you had a sad day yesterday I know what you mean when those tears just seem to come. I hope you are feeling better now And thank you for motivating me to get my butt in gear and start exercising, believe it or not you always come into mind when I want to slack off and I can see you telling me to get busy !!!

Jello ~~ Hello! I go to curves and I really like it. Its a nice workout for me as I really hate to exercise. I try to go a miminum of 3 times a week. But with my recent arm injury I have only managed to go once last week and once so far this week. And this week I only did the legs machines. I know they offer a week trial period you should check it out and see what you think.
I am really missing the workouts and am hoping that my arm will heal enough soon so I can go back full force. Let us know what you think.

Holly~~ Its sad that you did not get the recognition that you deserve for the extra work you did. Some employers just don't take the time to thank their employees,, pretty pitiful dont ya think?

Nola~~ Hello to you also I hope WW is going well for you.

Tryinhard~~ How is the water challenge going? I find it easier and easier to get the water in these days.

DNW~~ Are you still feeling under the weather?

Well time to go, have a great tomorrow everyone and remember to keep on smiling !!

Nancy

Last edited by Snowey; 02-06-2003 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:47 AM   #134  

Nancy, I know if you've been taking any advil or tylenol that you'll retain water--some of them contain an awful lot of sodium.
Don't let that awful machine we call a scale get you down! You've been so faithfully OP that I'm sure it's the meds that are holding the water in.
I am doing ok with my water. I just wish I could like it, but I am such a sucker for diet soda! I won't let myself have soda with dinner unless I've had my water for the day. Oh, the little games we play with ourselves!
Holly, that stinks that you didn't get the pat on the back you deserved! But, knowing you, you will continue to give 110%! They are darn lucky to have you and one of these days, hopefully they'll realize it too!!
Well, I hope everyone is doing ok. We're getting ready for the cold and snow again here in CT.
Oh--I heard a cute one--it was so cold here last week that angry drivers were giving each other the mitten!!
Read you all later--
Old 02-06-2003, 08:24 AM   #135  
Biker Chick!

Hello all!

Quickie from me before I get ready for work

Nancy, I am sure that it is the medication that is making "that horrible machine" -the scale - say you're up. You are right, my friend - IGNORE it and continue to do so well.

Nola - way to go on the walking!! and getting to the gym too!!!

Hi Kina! congratulations again for the Society. You are one smart chickie, and a great wife/mom to boot!!

hi tryin'hard - FUNNY about the mitten!!! I'm going to pass that along today!! Regarding the diet soda - are you okay with just one a day? What is it about it that you would rather not have. Ifind that it actually stimulates my appetite for something to "go with it". I love diet coke, and diet pepsi, diet anything soda! but also am trying to just not have it.

Hi Aphil! Sorry for your sad day! I hope it is out of your system. I once heard a theory that tears actually rid us of some toxins...and that's why we just have to cry sometimes. Hope you're feeling better!

Okay, my weight today is 145. My size 6 jeans (2 pair) still fit well.But I would like to be back to 142-143. My goal for this month is to stop the evening eating, such as bowl of cereal, half a muffin, etc. I should be full from dinner! I need to plan for this, by maybe making some sugar free jello to have ready for after dinner - I like it with some non-fat yogurt mixed in...so that is my plan.

Have a great day!

Your friend, Holly
Closed Thread