General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi!
Kina-that "girl day" is so cute! When I put on my makeup, my daughter sits and waits until I am done, and then I have to put chapstick and a little eyeshadow on her-I usually use an almost bare pink or tan color-but she just loves it! I have a special Gingerbread flavored chapstick in my makeup box just for her.
VermontMom-Honey, I know how people can be working in retail. When I was a hairdresser, I managed a salon-and there was this old lady that used to come in, and have me giver her a perm. It would turn out great, and then she would come in two days later with it all out and complain to the owner to have me give her a free redo...well, after the third time, I told the owner that she HAD to be doing something purposely to come in and get free redos...I personally thought that she was one of those old ladies with no life, and liked coming in and getting all of the attention and free coffee, etc. Well-I sortof asked her trick questions the last time and found out that she was going home and putting a deep conditioner on her hair as soon as she left the salon. My boss told her that she basically screwed her guarantee because I had specifically told her not to wash or condition her hair for 48 hours after each perm. Some people-to make me keep redoing her out of my pocket ON PURPOSE!
The kids are gone with grandma, so I think today I am going to go out and do some "girl things"...shopping alone, and the like. have a good day everyone!
Aphil
Old 01-11-2003, 11:59 PM   #47  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi ya'll! Ooops that Texan accent just jumps out of my mouth every now and again. But just dropped in to share with you all my new look. I got my brainiac glasses on. Looks like I am ready to hit the books. You can't really tell I got a perm since my hair is so dark but maybe when the sun is shining I might get another pic of me outdoors.

Aphil~~~Dh is really old fashioned when it comes to make-up, even lip gloss, for the girls. A long time back I had to argue about the nail polish. Ultimately I had to tell him well she is half mine so if you don't want nail polish on her that is fine but I will polish the half that is mine. LOL He gave in with some compromising. Her nails look so pretty but she was a little upset because the guy went a bit too far on one of her cuticles. I told her to tell him if it hurt but she is too proper to correct somebody older than her.

I am going to try and post a pic of little bitty nails. BRB!
Kina

Last edited by Kina; 01-12-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:04 AM   #48  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Default Mommy & Daughter Day

Here is the pic of my little one's nails. They look so shabby. I would of posted the pics of her sitting at the nail booth but DH was against posting a pic of her on the web. Understandeable.

I think she enjoyed herself. Now let's see if this is going to work. See you all tomorrow after my workout.

Kina
Old 01-12-2003, 12:12 AM   #49  

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, am in a funk today. I think Im just missing Bruce...
But I did get my butt out to curves today, but feeling like I want to eat everything in sight. Maybe it is PMS who knows.
Still could not get my pics posted on here for some reason, but if you want to see them send me a pm and Ill give you the addy of the place to go .
I am going to do the WATP's workout tomorrow and then back to curves on Monday (they are closed on Sunday)

Kina,,, I love the new pic! You are so pretty and I do love the glasses! I bet your little girl had a ball getting her nails done also

Ok Im outta here,

Night everyone..

Nancy
Old 01-12-2003, 10:49 AM   #50  

Good Sunday morning everyone!
Kina-I like the perm! Your daughter's nails are so cute! Did she pick out the color herself? My husband is alright with a little makeup play with Jasmine, as long as it is light colors-and flavored chapstick or Lip Smackers type stuff and not "lipstick."
Nancy-if you don't have my email addy still, you can email me at [email protected] and let me know where to go to see your before and after pics. It may help with putting them up here, if you have a scanner, or another way to shrink them down-since the saved file has to be of a smaller size. You should be able to shrink it on a scanner, and save it in your computer smaller, and post that up.
Well, I hope everyone is doing well. I seem to be maintaining this week, after last weeks 3 pound loss-so I am not complaining. I am looking forward to the scale moving down again a bit this week. It is the 12th, and we have 19 days left of the January challenge! I really want to stress the exercise again-as is the focus of this challenge, rather than the scale this month. I really want to see some firmer thighs and flatter abs emerging from everyone for spring! Nancy is really doing great. (The Walk Away the Pounds is a great way to get your cardio in on the days you don't go to Curves and do your strength training!) I really want everyone to focus over the next 2 1/2 weeks and really put their heart into their exercise. Holly-I am glad that you got that new video to challenge you more! You always know when it is time to up your weights, or change workouts when it feels like your weights are flying through the air, and you are not getting that burn anymore! My goal is to really get more out of my cardio workouts over the next couple weeks, and to really push my leg and bun exercises when I strength train. For some reason, the "burn" is always a lot more bearable and even pleasurable in my upper body and abs...but in the legs and buns it almost kills me in some exercise sets! I know this is where I am weak, and I am going to try to advance a little.
Well, everyone have a fabulous day! I sure am!
Aphil
Old 01-13-2003, 08:00 AM   #51  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Good morning everyone!

Kina, you look so pretty! I'm glad your perm turned out great, and your "brainiac" glasses are very flattering! II wish I could wear my prescription sunglasses all the time; my regular glasses are so strong for my terrible near-sightedness, they make my eyes appear so small.. oh well.

aphil, you had to pay for that deceitful woman's perms yourself? Argh!!! Glad she was "outed"!

Nancy, yeah for keeping up the Curves!!! I'm so sad that you must be missing your husband...the things we have to go through sometimes are tough...I tell myself "and, this too, shall pass".

I'm still excited about the slight change in my exercise routine, because I can feel some soreness, which I haven't felt in ages. Different ab work; and thighs, particularly. There is some floorwork on the Gilad tape that I abhor - you know, those darn "donkey kicks"/raises things - I was all wobbly afterward! But I remember how I was a year ago; I will work these slack leg muscles and get them like tree trunks! well, shapely tree trunks

Hello to eveyone else and Happy Monday! tho it's gray and cold and snowy here - well, duh, that's what I get for living in Vermont. Hey, only 105 days 'til our road trip!

Your friend, Holly

Last edited by VermontMom; 01-15-2003 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:39 AM   #52  

Good morning everyone!
Holly-The slight routine change will make a great difference in your routine! I have a lot of videos, so I rotate them pretty regularly-your body can get used to doing the same old thing and you will find that you are not burning as many calories if you keep doing the same thing over and over for an extended period of time. You have to keep giving it "surprises" now and then! For walkers, treadmill walkers, and eliptical trainers-the best way to "surprise" your body is to add small intervals at a faster pace. Say you walk on your treadmill at a speed of 3 miles per hour for 30 minutes-do it for 5 minutes, and then do a minute of a faster pace-say 4mph-do the 3mph for another 5 minutes and then another minute at 4mph and so on. You will elevate your heart rate and burn more calories this way. If you do aerobic videos, the best way I think is to change routines-I rotate my Denise Ausin areobics tapes with my bellydancing practice. My body never knows what is coming!
Today is going to be a good day. I woke up early at 6, bellydanced for 30 minutes-had breakfast and have gotten the kids bathed and fed. They are excited, as my mother is coming to visit for the afternoon. She is such a big kid with them. I have made an appointment to take the cat in tomorrow to be declawed and spayed. I am working on laundry-and getting things accomplished. It feels good for the day to be going smoothly. I am also so excited-as my husband has bought me new living room furniture. I have been needing it for about 5 years now-all of our living room furniture is hand me down from other family members-and the couch especially is in bad shape. I wanted new last tax time but he talked me into spending it on redoing his motorcycle. Well, there was a big sale over the weekend-and the set I have been eyeing for a year were included-and he let me have my way! I am excited beyond words-the only new furniture we have gotten since we have been together is our kitchen table and chairs, and the baby furniture. (I am crafty and have done a lot with paint and wall hangings-but there isn't really anything you can do with a 20 year old couch! ) The set is really pretty-the color of coffee with cream in it-a taupe color-and it has a nubuck suede type of upholstry, and the tables are slate tiled tops in earthtone colors-mostly grey, charcoal and taupe on the tiles. It looks like something that Frasier Krane would have in his apartment-for those of you who watch that show. (The couch actually looks a lot like his! )
So-Jason has gotten his brownie points for the next century!
Oh-I have a recipe for all of you cookie lovers! My mother in law just gave it to me!
LOW FAT OATMEAL COOKIES
1c. flour
1c. quick cooking oats
1/2c. sugar
1/2t. baking powder
1/2t. baking soda
1/2t. salt
1/2t.cinnamon
2 egg whites
1/3c. corn syrup
1t. vanilla extract
1/3c. raisins
Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl-mix well. Stir in raisins. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets that have been sprayed with Pam. Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 30 cookies-2 1/2 dozen. Each cookie is 51 calories and only has a trace amount of fat-since there are no egg yolks or oil or butter added.
(f you make larger cookies, say-24-you can figure out the calories by multiplying the 51 calories by 30-and then dividing it by how many cookies you actually made.)
This is one of the lowest calorie cookie recipes I have found. To make it even healthier, you can replace the regular flour with whole wheat flour if you want to.
Everyone have a fabulous day, get your exercise-and I will check in with you later!
Aphil
Old 01-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #53  

So much news to read!
Aphil--enjoy your couches! DH says I can't get new ones until DD stops climbing over the arms and over the back!
Kina--you look beautiful! My mom gave me my one and only perm in high school and burnt off my hair! I had little "stubbies" growing on top for a while!!
I know we've talked a lot about PMS before, but something I've been doing since the summer has really helped. I double my workouts the week I'm having PMS. I either walk extra or run on the treadmill or do some extra sit ups. It makes me remember that I'm being good to myself and if I do eat a little more (love those carbs!), I've already worked it off. Try it!!
Holly--I'm so proud of you for stepping up your workouts! You are my inspiration! My daughter takes karate and her instructor also teaches karate-aerobics and has offered me an unbelievable deal--I can go to three classes a week for $10 a month! I can't NOT do it! The class he gives is a killer, but you feel SO good after you finish! I wish you could all come do it with me!
Well ladies, back to work! Hope you're all having a great day!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:07 PM   #54  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default :)

Hey girls!! Great to see so many posts from everyone!

Kina - great photo!! Lookin awesome!

Nancy - I hope you are feeling better! I know what it is like to miss the man in your life. Life sucked so bad for me when hubby and I were apart for months! at least you are in the same country now! Keep up the great work staying on plan!

tryin'hard - that is a great deal! You will love those classes!

Holly - you are such an inspiration! Great to hear you are staying so focused and keeping the weight off! The road trip sounds so amazing! You are going to have a blast!

Everyone else.... hope your week is going good too!

Well I am back on plan after the holiday in Canada. It was just so awesome to see everyone again, but the scales were not kind to me as I put on 2.5 kilos (5.5 lbs) in 3 weeks!! How gross!

I am doing WW week one this week so I hope to have a good result and get this extra weight off in the next 2-3 weeks.... I was so close to my second goal!! GRRRRRR!!!

Having said that, it was great to know that I could eat whatever I wanted, got to enjoy the hospitality of all my friends, eat at a fast food place while on the road, and knew that in a few weeks back in Aus I would be ok again! That is a great feeling of control!

Well... I must get ready for work and get on with the day. Another day totally on plan!!! yay!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:15 PM   #55  

Good afternoon!

It sounds like everyone is having a fantastic day.

I just got home from work and am getting ready to change clothes and head off to curves! I really do look forward to it.

I also purchased some colorful laser star stickers and have put them on the calendar for every day that I have exercised. Its is nice to see all that color already and the month is only half over

WW starts up again on Wednesday, so hopefully the scale will be kind to me.

Nola~~ Welcome home, glad to see you made it back to the land
down under safe and sound

Ok Ill be back to post more later have a great afternoon!

Nancy
Old 01-13-2003, 06:37 PM   #56  

Good evening everyone!
I just took a peek at Nancy's before and after pics-it is just amazing! Not only from 300+ pounds until now, but from her wedding picture in 2001 compared to now! (I believe she said she was 20 pounds thinner now then at her wedding-but don't quote me on that!)
The kids had a good visit with my mother-and I tried to show her a few bellydancing moves-which is totally funny in itself, because she is amazingly uncoordinated. She told me to if I ever wanted to buy her a dance video, I better see if they make a kindergarten level!
I have done well today-exercised, my calories came in at around 1500-and I am drinking my water. Things are looking good-or at least they soon will be as I look forward to dropping some more weight over the next few months!
Have a good evening ladies!
Aphil
Old 01-15-2003, 07:30 AM   #57  
Biker Chick!

Good morning all!

*Sigh*, I'm still having issues with slipping into bad habits...the exercise is right on track, even stepped up with the newer challenging tape, but why am I wanting to eat stuff that is just extra calories and not even satisfying?...At least there's no junk in the house, or even good crackers anymore, so I'll have some cereal, half a bagel...aha! It's the darn starches/carbs that I'm craving.

It could be my usual winter syndrome; winter up here is really long, with reduced sunlight; what is it, seratonin levels that are reduced with that?

I think I'm just rambling now, like thinking in my head but making you guys subject to it Hopefully this will pass, and I will get back to drinking the water and not snacking mindlessly. Since I'm on track with the exercise, maybe if I just try to focus on getting the water in me, that will be a small victory to bolster me with the snacking /carbs issue.

Well, everyone have a great day!!!! thanks for being my listening board!!!

Holly
Old 01-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #58  

Good morning everyone!
Holly-I hear you about the winter blues! It is an actual fact that some women get depressed in the winter due to the setatonin and vitamin D levels being reduced due to lack of sunlight. If you are not a sun phobic SPF70 type, an easy way to remedy this is to go to the tanning bed once or twice a week. It really does help-as the rays in the beds are the same that naturally produce these levels in the body. I don't recommend that anyone be one of those people who go every day for years and are "fake looking"-but I do like a natural peachy tone to my skin rather than the color of wallpaper paste-so I tend to go once or twice a week in the spring and summer.
As far as your reverting back into old habits-this is where your kick in the butt begins! I want you to get out a pice of paper, and draw a line down the middle, dividing it in half. On one side, write down all of the reasons that you love being fit-like your motorcycle pants, wearing negligees for your husband-whatever you can posibly think of. On the other side, I want you to write down what you like about being heavy-I am sure that other than eating whatever you want, whenever you want-that the fit list will beat it out hands down. Keep this list, and read it a few times throughout the day. Keep it on your mind. Tape it to the "carb" cabinet if need be. Something else that may help is to avoid eating the simple carbs like white bread/bagels alone. Always eat them with a protein source, such as a dairy product or some source of meat or peanut butter. This will keep the blood levels from fluctuating as much, making you crave more carbs. (This goes for anyone that has trouble keeping in control when eating simple carbs) It may also help to keep the bagels out of the house and to alert the co-workers of yours from letting you have any-and to keep your starch foods to whole grain breads, cereals like Kashi and Shredded wheat and pastas-Creamette has their whole wheat pastas now at most grocery stores and they are rather good. There are some foods that are overeating triggers for me, and it is best if I just not eat them altogether-because once I start, I cannot stop! (animal crackers are one of these foods)
If you are still hovering a pound or two above where your goal weight was, you might try a week of going back to 1500 calories as well-to get it back down, and to jumpstart getting your maintenance back on track. The maintenance is definitely the hardest part of the journey. Keeping these changes in your exercise and diet for the rest of your life is the true challenge. We are all committed here to help you maintain the loss that you worked so hard for, Holly! You can do this!
One of my goals as a lifestyle change is to get in at least one or two servings of dairy each day-I am not a dairy person, and it is the hardest for me. I went out and bought a large sampling of light yogurts of different brands and flavors-trying a new one each time, in hopes of finding one that I truly love, and that won't seem like a chore fitting it in everyday. I found one I really like, and encourage all of you to try it if you haven't yet. It is Yoplait Light yogurt in the flavor Strawberry Orange Sunrise. I had not seen this one before-and tried it today, and it is really good! I also bought their Orange Creme flavor, I will let you all know about that one tomorrow. I am a really picky yogurt eater, I don't like vanilla flavor, or some of the brands that are on the lumpy side-or that are too tart tasting. Mild, smooth, and fruity are more my thing. (I used to love Healthy Choice chocolate yogurt, but they quit making that a long time ago.)
Well, everyone have a fantastic day-get in that exercise, and drink that water. We have 16 days of the challenge left!
Aphil
Old 01-15-2003, 06:40 PM   #59  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

OOOOw Nancy I want a peek at your before and after. I need something to get me going again. I have been a very blue mood ever since that near scare of my son and the bus. So looking at you I know that if you can do it I can find the will as you have. I'm trying to count calories but I think my problem now is that I am afraid to eat anything because I don't want to exceed the 1500 cals. I don't know how to get over that hump.

Okay well i am off to have dinner with my mom and weigh in for the new challenge. I will talk to you all later.
Kina

Oh! Thank you all so much for the wonderful compliments on my hair. I was not so pleased the first day but once I put some effort into it I was more comfortable with it. So I will talk to you all later.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #60  
Biker Chick!

Hello!

I logged on here, with the intent of happily telling of my very good day - and receive even more positive reinforcement from Aphil! Thank you!

Even though I am very "iffy" about breakfast, I went back to my old-routine of 1/2 cup Kashi "Good Friends" cereal, mixed with 1 cup non-fat, light yogurt. Had a 1/2 sandwich with 3 1/2 ounces deli turkey, lettuce/tomato/honey mustard. Drank 2 litres of water. Mid-afternoon cup o' joe with a granola bar. Sensible dinner with lots of greens included. Feeling GOOD and in control!!!! Now to keep going well through the evening...I feel that I can!

Aphil, again thanks for the helpful ideas. I am going to do that page this evening; maybe a couple of copies to have laying around. I have always been leery of tanning beds, just 'cause of the premature aging of skin, but I am very welcome to the though of some extra light to help fight the winter blues. I think the warmth would also feel wonderful! Thanks again!!!

Kina, I finally got "before" and "after" pictures together...just face shots, but the "before" shows the roundness and the double chin! And the second one I think just shows how happy I felt that day; my husband was taking pictures of me and (of course!) the motorcycle by the lake; it was a beautiful day and I was just so..."fulfilled" feeling. Hopefully they will appear below, without too much trouble of resizing problems...
Closed Thread