General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:00 PM   #61  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

WOW! Holly there is so much difference...and my goodness that is just in your face. So there is hope becuase even without being overweight i had a slight double chin...but i was really scared after losing the weight I may be left with a gooseneck. So I have some hope. All I can say is WOW! You are such an inspiration.

Well you guys...I went and weighed in on my mom's scale and sad news...212 lbs on her scale! YIKES. Way more than I want to admit to. Of course my scale says different. All I know is that I need to get moving. It's too late for me to get moving tonight because the sound of my machine will get bird whistling like crazy. But Friday I will be at the gym at school to do some weights perhaps or use the rowing machine. SOMETHING! ANYTHING! I will also get into my routine of exercise and probably do it right after work because that is when I get sluggish and need a natural boost instead of chocolate...hah easier said than done.

Well that slap of reality (212) was exactly what I needed. The bank is worth 250 bucks let's see if I can pocket this one?

I am off to shower and then to bed. Nighty night!
Kina
Old 01-16-2003, 05:00 AM   #62  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Wooohooo!!

Great photos Nancy!!!

The biggest difference is your eyes.... the 'new' you just seems to sparkle! You are so purely happy in that photo!

Well.. I am back on track, had a good week so far. I have not made it to the gym yet this week but I sure have been out walking in this aussie heat! tomorrow is to be 36 Celcius, which equals stinkin hot We need to win the lotto so we can have a house with a pool!!!

Missed that Canadian snow today for sure! (and my mom and dad of course!)

I hate to write a bit and then run... but it is bed time over here and there is just one more day of the work week left and then it is the WEEKEND!! yay!!!

Take care everyone!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:34 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!
Holly-I have to say-you have a gorgeous smile! You must have been having a good day in the second picture, because you are glowing!
Kina-Anytime I have ever had a perm, I have never been pleased with it the first day-I never like it until I am able to wash it and the roller marks are out of my head! That is just a normal part of getting it done-a couple hours of torture, 48 hours of bad hair day, and then it is all good!
Don't be afraid to eat anything just because you are trying to watch your calories. It is very important toeat the calories that I have broken down for you at each meal. If you don't have that anymore, write it down and put it on the fridge.
Breakfast-300
lunch-400
snack-100
Dinner-600
snack-100
You CAN go over or under a little bit on your calories, the idea is the be as close to 1500 each day as possible, and it will even out each week. You just really need to find some foods and meal combinations that fit into your lifestyle, and become more familiar with how to figure the calories in your foods you cook at home. For instance, a 300 calorie breakfast can consist of the following:

1 slice of toast-70 calories (average for bread, check your label)
1 tablespoon of peanut butter on toast-95 calories
1 cup orange juice-120 calories
total-285 calories
(most packages of peanut butter say 190 calories for 2 tablespoons, so it would be 95 for 1-this is how you figure the calories! It isn't so hard when you get used to it! )
Here is another idea:
1 packet of instant oatmeal-120-140 calories (depends on flavor)
1 cup of skim milk-90 calories
1 banana-100 calories
310-330 calories
There are a lot of things that you can eat, you just really need to get used to the idea of counting, and finding out what low low calorie foods are out there that you enjoy.
As for your two snacks-here are a lot for around 100 calories
small apple-80
banana-100
Jello Fat Free pudding cup-100
Sugar Free Jello cup-10
1T. peanut butter on a stalk of celery-105 (95 for spread, 10 for celery stalk)
4 Hershey Kisses-100 (This is great for a chocolate craving, when you don't want all of the calories of a full size candy bar)
1c. orange or apple juice-120
1 Yoplait light yogurt-100
I don't want you to be afraid to eat, Kina, but you just need to get used to a new eating lifestyle, always being aware of what you are eating, because when you eat without thinking about it, that is where all of the extra calories come into play.
You have been doing so well with your exercise, and lost a lot of weight-learning new eating habits I can see is going to be the most difficult for you to grasp. For Nancy it was exercising, for Holly and myself it is avoiding the carbohydrate binges...we all have our weak points, and we are all here to help you through yours. I want you to succeed. If there is anything that you are not understanding, or that you are afraid of messing up-then please talk to us! We are here with you 100%
Aphil
Old 01-16-2003, 08:00 PM   #64  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default More Advice

Just thought I would expand on Apil's post.....

WRITE IT DOWN!

One of the best tips I had in my first weight watchers meeting was when one of the girls who had reached lifetime gave a talk of how she reached her goal.... this phrase has been implanted on my brain.....

You bite it - - - - - You write it

If you can't be honest on a piece of paper that only you see.... then you can't be honest about your weight loss progress.

I bought a nice 12 week tracker diary from WW and when that was used up, I took advantage of the sales on diaries after the new year and splurged to get one that has a day to a page. It is a hard cover, bright blue with dolphins all over it. I also bought a nice pen that I keep clipped in the binding of the book. I carry it all over with me in my backpack during the week and even in my gearsack on the motorbike on the weekends!! It is easy to mentally forget what you eat and those are the snacks that can make you a success or not.

I also use the diary to plan out our meals for the week, plan my lunches and schedule snacks to stay within my point values. I also record my weight and measurements in this diary too!!

There is also fitday.com but I found that when I am busy at work I would not have the time to always update it and see where I am for the day. It might work better for others though!

Just my 5 cents (no pennies in Aus!) worth of advice for today!

Nola.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:39 PM   #65  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Angry

Hi Ladies! Thanks for the words of wisdom. Today was a well rounded day. My first day into my family weight challenge and I think I did pretty good. I don't have time to exercise in the mornings anymore because I drive the kids to school. That may change...the picking up part wasn't so bad because the bus stops with the door facing the house. So I might consider letting them get on the bus in the mornings but still pick them up after school.

Anyway as I mentioned my day went pretty good, even though my teacher called me Vanessa...oops. But I didn't get a chance to fix something healthy for breakfast and usually I grab burrito if I don't get something from the house...aaah I LOVE burritos yum. I even exercised this afternoon which really perked up the funk that I have been in lately in addition helped me to overcome the most sluggish part of my day.

I was mostly proud of my food intake but then I kind of slid downhill and you will see where that is, this is my food intake for the day...

Breakfast....a medium pear
Snack....small vending machine bag of pretzels
Lunch....large Texas chili salad from Jason's Deli with a Diet Coke
Dinner...a medium apple with lots of water
Snack....here is where I take a nose dive...5 peanut butter cups with lots of water.

Activities for today consisted of...

1.) Parking very far from my classes so that I would have to walk clear across campus.
2.) I took the stairs instead of the elevator several times pretending to foget something downstairs so that I can climb the stairs again.
3.) 15 minutes of the elliptical machine.
4.) 200 reps of stair climbing.

I bought myself a small diary that is large enough to get enough information on to a page for the day but small enough to fit into my purse. I have made it a promise that I will write everything down no matter how small it may seem. I am hoping that it will work. But I am going to try and keep at it.

This morning my scale weighed me at 198 I have only myself to blame. My wonderful size 18 jeans are not feeling comfortable when I sit. I never mentioned this but I have some really nice size 16 stretch flair dress pants and they are comfortable on me but are very snug to my skin. Well DH doesn't like them because they are so tight. I would like to have them fitting nicely by this Christmas but maybe even before that. I expected to be at 150 by my birthday in April and it doesn't seem that is possible but I am going to work hard at getting close to it. I already got a hold of the gym availability at school. The only time I can fit in is on Fridays so I am going to make it a point to get out there but if not I am going to go to the track and get up and down those stadium steps. I loved going up and down the steps way back when.

Okay well it is late. I better get out of here. Bye.
Kina
Old 01-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #66  

Good morning everyone!
Good news! Another pound is gone, and that brings me down to 188!
I am feeling so good about it-I really worked hard this week on eating more dairy and fruit instead of starches, and I have worked out a lot!
Nola-good advice on writing down things in your journal! Mine is very similar to yours. I have a page for each day, with my current weight and pounds lost at the top, and my food intake for the day on one half of the page, and my exercise on the other. In a few of the back pages, I have a few restaurant calorie coutns for some foods, so I will have a small reference when I am out, and I have my measurements in the back two pages. I measured myself a couple days ago, BTW, and it is funny how that is working out. The first 15 pounds came right off my waist mostly-3 inches, and my hips lost an inch-but these last 8 pounds have come off of my bust-1 inch-and my upper arms-1/4 inch off of each one! It is interesting to see how your body is changing. You can go cheap with your notebooks-a simple mini tablet will work for under a dollar, or you can go nicer and get a hardback journal like at the bookstores for a few dollars more. Whatever you can afford-it is the concept of writing things down-you really begin to see your weak points, as well as have all of your successes to look back upon.
Kina-Great job on putting more activity in your day. I totally recommend parking in a back space (unless it is a dark unlit lot)
and walking a little further into the store or building-and taking stairs instead of elevators. Every little bit counts. We live in a cul-de-sac neighborhood (a dead end road where the road has a round circle to turn around at the end) and all of the mailboxes are together at the start of the road, so I have to walk down to the end of the road each day-about 3 houses distance-to get the mail. I am thankful for that-because every step counts!
Since you said you need "quick" breakfasts to grab on the go, I would suggest fresh fruit like a pear or an apple, but add soemthing along with that, like a NutriGrain bar, or a low-fat granola bar-so you can eat it on the run. With the fruit, it would put you at 200 and something for breakfast-and you won't be famished at lunch. And as far as going downhill with your snack at night-it is alright to have a peanut butter cup-but try to make it as small as possible-if you buy a 2 pack of the regular size-split is with one of your kids so you only eat one, or eat 2 of the miniature sized ones instead-and suck on them and make it last. I love dark chocolate, and I have a bag of dark chocolate chips-and I measure out 1 tablespoon-80 calories-and put them in my mouth one at a time, and let them dissolve in my mouth. The whole process takes about 20 minutes. The trick is to make every morsel you eat as satisfying as possible. I know I have to have chocolate once or twice a week-I am addicted-so I have it in very small amounts, and I try to make it last.
I congrat you on getting two servings of fruit in yesterday though, I know that that is usually hard for you to do. Like I said, mine is dairy-but I did well and got two servings in of that as well. Yay for us!
Well, today is strength training day, and I am off to work out my body! Here is what I have been doing:
Monday and Friday-full body strength training-45 min to 1 hour
Tuesday and Thursday-bellydancing-at least 30 minutes
Wednesday-Pilates-30 minutes
Saturday and Sunday-yoga-20 minutes
Well, everyone-I will check in in a while-have a great morning, exercise, and make good food choices today! I know you can all do it!
Aphil
Old 01-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #67  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Congratulations Aphil!!!! That is so great! You worked hard, and the effort showed! good for you!!

Kina, good for you ALSO! on taking steps (literally! ) to get more exercise in. Also on the diary. Do you think that the family challenges might be putting too much pressure on you? In my humble opinion, it will be the small but steady decreases of calories, plus steady exercise, over a period of months that will be successful. NOT to be critiqueing - we all have to find our own ways.And sometimes the money aspect might be the short-term incentive. Just my .02

I don't know if I could follow Aphil's self-control on the chocolate chips...I would like to try, but...actually I don't think I could hide the bag from dear husband and son. And I wouldn't want to go up in my bedroom, shut the door to have my small serving of chocolate. When I know that "the guys" are dying for a treat, we do buy a regular-size chocolate bar, but cut it into thirds, and that is a dessert treat.

Sumb me, I keep forgetting what Christine's (Silence) due date was/is...do any of you remember?

Hope everyone is having a great day. I'm on my third day of getting my water intake where it should be, plus maintaining the steady exercising (with the new tape - jeez, those donkey raises!
) and pretty close to my original daily calorie count of 1600. Would like to get back to my 142/143 pound range safely.

Have a great evening!

Your friend, Holly
145 today (same as last week, but no gain! )
Old 01-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #68  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

I think the challenges keep me focused. I am an Aries and if you know an Aries you will know that they take challenges head on and full force. I don't think too much of actually winning the money but mostly that I will lose some of the weight I began with. But just to tinker with the thought of pocketing the bank is a nice motivation to get that exercise in or to make a better food choice.

Okay I am off to pick up my oldest from school. Talk to you all later.
Kina
Old 01-17-2003, 07:19 PM   #69  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Hot Hot Hot

... is the weather here!!! My poor Canadian body struggled this week after coming from sub zero snow covered ground climate!!

Last night it was 36 degrees Celcius (sorry... I don't know how to convert to Farenheit!!) and it cooled down finally about 10pm last night. Yuck.

Today was a success at WW... down another 2.4 pounds!!! Woohoo!!

Congrats Kina on the diary!! I hope it helps.

I do the same as Aphil about the chocolate issue. I buy mini/snack size lite mars bars and freeze them (BACK of the fridge freezer) and have one every couple of days. It helps to get the chocolate fix in for only 1 pt.

When I was in Canada, I LOVE peanut butter cups and had 4 pks of them while I was there!!! Each pack of 3 is 6 pts and I would make them last an hour or more in the car when we were driving somewhere. I also enjoyed the fast food places that are not here in Aus (Arbys, Wendys, Tim Hortons.....) and I did not even worry about counting points. I also ate plates of hot wings with blue cheese dressing, drank at least 2 beers a day, had cheesecake or dessert when we ate out..... I think that the 5 lb gain, and being away from the 'diet' has completely changed my attitude towards dieting. I am alot more focused and determined that what I was just before I left. I felt 'burned out' almost on constantly counting, exercising, stressing, etc. Maybe a week off is what you need?? I know on the Body for Life program, you take a week off between challenges... or maybe when you are craving something during the week, write it down and then let yourself have a free day or half day or 2 treats on a Sat or Sun to reward yourself??? I am going to take a week off every 16 weeks or so and just relax and take a break.

I am going to hit the gym next week again. I was pretty sick when I flew out before Christmas, I had bronchitis and had been on antibiotics for 3 days when I got on the plane and just now am starting to feel like I can breathe easily and do some running. I have been walking every day this week to ease into a routine. Being healthy again is a good feeling!

Cheers everyone!! Keep on track!!

Nola.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #70  

Good morning!
Nola-I am not 100% sure about the Body For Life taking a week off between challenges, but I think that they diet for 6 days, and then have a free day through the week. Their diet is a 6 mini meal a day protein/starch combo-and it must be stuck to, and then they have the free day, where you can eat as you choose. (Any lurking BFL members can correct me if I am wrong!) They have a lot of choices of meals, but the 6 meals and the combo of protein/starch is what must be adhered to.
Good job, BTW on losing this week at WW! It feels good after "being off the wagon" to come back and have results right away!
Personally, when I am doing well in my eating plan, and on my exercise-it actually makes me feel worse if I revert to old habits for a couple days. I feel tired and sluggish, and get stomach upset if I eat too much heavy or fatty food. I feel much better after I am back on track-more energy, no tummy symptoms. It is great, because if I stray for some reason, it really helps me get back to healthier habits. I just don't like the way my body feels anymore when I abuse it. Little changes, like having a chicken soft taco at Taco Bell instead of a greasy beef one have made such a difference. I actually ate a beef one a couple weeks ago-and stayed within my calories range-but since it had more fat content than what I was used to-I had an upset tummy all evening! My treats nowadays because of that usually consist of a small chocolate fix or an occasional glass of wine.
My husband is SO sweet-last night he went out to the hardware store, and on his way back, he stopped at Dairy Queen. Well, usually he is a "sabotoeur" and likes to bring tempting things in the house to see if I will cave...well, he brought Misty's (slushes) back for him and the kids, and he had searched the menu and brought me back a sugar free/fat free frozen bar for 60 calories. He was SO proud of himself-you should have seen his face. He knew he did something good. I just can't believe he took the time to comb the menu searching for something I could possibly have!
Well, today is my yoga day-I am going to get a few things done around the house, and then have a 20 minute session to myself. Everyone have a great Saturday!
Aphil
Old 01-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #71  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Good News! and Bad News! Which do you want first? Okay the Good News you know how I have been getting my exercise...yeah a whole two days! LOL Well I weighed in at 198.5 the other day this morning I weighed in at 197. Very happy! The Bad News I ate a half of a pizza last night because I allowed my emotions to control my hands. Bad very bad. Next time I will jump on my machine. Before coming to 3FC I never realized that I was an emotional eater...but I learned it quick. I hadn't allowed myself to emotional eat until last night. And you know I don't even want to write it down but now that I let it out here I won't have a problem writing it down.

Okay I really have to get ready DH is on his way to pick me up we are on our way out of town for a short trip and back. Have a wonderful extended weekend. Bye
Kina
Old 01-18-2003, 07:33 PM   #72  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello everyone!

BRRRR!!! I know that we are not the only ones that are in the midst of that Arctic air sweeping down into the US - we have been dealing with frozen water pipes all day...as homeowners, one always should be mentally prepared for something needing fixing, I guess...but it's a real drag when it interferes with such daily things as using water!!

I have been doing well with trying to be on "careful!" mode of eating, and been getting the water in. And when I did a different tape today, I could feel the difference from doing the newer, more challenging tape. That was a good feeling - I really put effort into the abdominal sets, because I could feel the strength difference - cool!

Kanola, WOW, what a temperature difference you are having! I calculated, and 36 Celcius is almost 97 Fahrenheit! Hot! think of me with my stupid frozen water pipes!!!

Glad your bronchitis is clearing up. A 5 lb. gain doesn't sound too bad for all the forbidden but tasty foods you had! And if youfeel that a week off, every 16 weeks would be beneficial, you should go for it. You might not even want a full week "off", maybe a day or two will suffice for you. But if it seems to help you to be more focused and not "burn out", then go for it.

I know that YOU had your cold weather while I was enjoying my 'cycling last year. I am MISSING it SO much!!! Have a ride for me, girl!!!

Aphil, HOW sweet of your husband to take the time to find a DQ treat that you would select!! When we least expect it sometimes, they do come through for us.

Kina, how are you today? I see now that you can take the challenge well, and wisely. And how wonderful it would be to be the winner, because that would show your determination, plus the cash!!

Nancy, how are you? I loved reading in your post a few days ago that you now look forward to going to Curves. That is super!!!!!

I hope everyone else is doing great!

I had some time to waste today (well, not really, but I decided to ) and read back to the beginning of when I joined here, and read through the year, just to try to get myself back in that mindset. It was fun, and I am so glad that I had you all along to help me. I know this is for life, but as I sit here, knowing that I am trimmer, healthier and happier, I am so glad that I was able to get to this point. But it was sad to see the names that we don't see anymore.

Besides reading old threads, I also looked through my journal, which mostly had daily entries for exercise and weight, not food entries. It was amazing that I was trying so hard, and sticking to the 1600 calories, and exercising; but from when I started, Feb. 5, to April 11, was the first 10 lbs. lost. Then the next ten pounds finally gone by July 3, 3 months later! Then one month after that, another 10 pounds lost. In retrospect, I would have imagined that weight would have been shed proportionately much quicker at the beginning...? Just shows that everyone's different. And I must say that it is easier to eat less, and want to eat less, in the summer months for me.

I hope everyone's having a good evening. If you can spare any positive thoughts to UNBLOCK OUR PIPES please send them our way!!!

Your friend, Holly
Old 01-19-2003, 12:54 PM   #73  

Good afternoon everyone!
More good news! I am down another pound to 187-now 24 gone forever! I am so psyched! I did a great workout today of bellydance. I usually do yoga on Saturday and Sunday, but this morning I was so energetic, I decided to do more!
I am actually in the mid-180's now...it feels so much better than 211, let me tell you! I am sitting here waiting for "naptime" for the kids, so I can go get my hair cut while Jason stays here with them. Our kitten is sitting on my lap-she has had a rough week. She was spayed and had all 4 paws declawed on Wednesday-and she is still healing. We were going to wait until she was a little older, but with the new furniture-I didn't want to take any chances. So, I have been playing doctor with the cat, giving her her antibiotics and pain killers.
Holly-my weight loss is sort of erratic like yours. I look over my journals, and the first 10 went really quick, then it slowed down-then I lost a few more and another plateau followed, and now it is pretty much about 5-6 pounds a month. The first 5-10 usually go pretty quick, and then it slows down, but then begins to speed up again when you have gained muscle through exercise and you are burning calories quicker. Your diet also has something to do with it. I notice that I lose more quickly when I cut down on breads and eat more fruits, vegetables, and dairy in their place.
We took the kids to Bob Evans last night-they love it there. (The whole crayons and kids menu experience.) I did really well. I ordered a diet soda, and ordered alacarte off of their breakfast items: an english muffin no butter (about 140 calories), a serving of lite sausage (about 150 calories), and a side fresh fruit cup-which was grapes, apple slices, and fresh pineapple (about 100 calories). You can find a lot of things you can eat if you go through your calorie/points guides for everyday foods. Bob Evans also has a great fruit plate that is HUGE. It is about 400 calories for the whole thing, and is loaded with strawberries, grapes, banana slices, melon, and pineapple. I often get that when we eat there as well. Just something to think about when the family wants to eat out. I love places where we can go that make the kids happy, and keep me on plan as well.
Well, I need to run-I have to get these kids in bed and go to the salon.
Have a great Sunday!
Aphil
Old 01-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #74  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

I am wondering do you all journal the time that you eat at or is it enough that you just mark breakfast, lunch, dinner? I have not been able to get any workouts in as I had planned. Homework and housework is just devouring my time. I don't know how else to manage my time between it all. I can't put anything aside because otherwise it just waits for me to get to it and then I have the kids asking mom did you wash my pants or the living room will look like a tornado was in there awhile. Today I was able to get the laundry half way done. I have just now settled down to get some homework done but then realized I needed to check something online. Then I figured I would catch a little breather before getting serious with my homework. I will make some ME time to get that yoga in today. I think I will be getting yoga in on the weekends just like Aphil. Afterall I don't need a pick me up on the weekends I need an unwind. LOL

Okay well I am outta here.
Kina
Old 01-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #75  

Kina-I personally don't write down the time of day that I eat, I just write down whether it was breakfast, lunch, snack, etc. For the most part I eat every 2-4 hours-so I don't time it. My meals and snacks are spaced apart accordingly, so I am never "starving" which can lead to binge eating for me. I usually have breakfast around 8, lunch around 11:30, a snack around 2, dinner around 5, and a night snack around 9. I am a full believer in eating smaller amounts all day, and not skipping breakfast-rather than saving calories all day or skipping breakfast to eat a huge dinner. Your metabolism runs smoother if you are being fueled regularly throughout the day.
With tryin'hard and Holly now being on a "maintenance" program rather than trying to lose anymore-I wanted to talk a little about maintenance and what worked for me. Before I got pregnant with Raiden, and I was on my maintenance plan, what really worked for me best and what I enjoyed the most was staying with my low calorie/low fat plan exactly like I did to lose the weight-all through the week, and having Saturday and Sunday as my free days to eat as I chose. The scale would usually read a pound heavier on Monday, but after the week of eating right went by, every Friday I was still at my goal weight.
Some find it easier to keep their weight down by just allowing a few more calories/points into their plan each day for maintenance, but for me it was easier and much more fun to be strict through the week, and have my weekends off. In the event that a party or holiday like Easter or Thanksgiving was through the week, I would just use that as one of my 2 days off that week.
It may not work for everyone, but it is what I did, and I really liked it. On those "free" days, I didn't count anything, and it gave me something to look forward to each week for being so good the rest of the time. Some of those maintaining and those of us that will be soon-it gives you another option of how to keep it all off.
Well, I best go, I have laundry to do like Kina-and I need to get dinner ready!
Aphil
Closed Thread