General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #106  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Amanda~
Yipee for 160's!!
Congratulations!!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #107  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Amanda! Congratulations on the 160's!

I'm also really glad that this thread has picked up. It's nice to have other people that are not only dieting but doing the same plan as you (or similar). It makes comparing notes that much easier. Plus I've had so much negative feedback from people about SF since they don't realize that the entire plan has had a major overhaul.

What I know without a doubt is IT'S WORKING FOR ME...and they say that the best plan is the one that you stick to!

I loved the deep chocolate vitamuffins...I wish they had the vita-tops in the stores as well. I think I'm going to order the sampler as it seems to have just about everything in it and then I can get a good idea of favorites and continue to order those online. I imagine that the corn ones would be fabulous with chili or some other southwestern type of food. I'm also really interested in the deep chocolate w/ pomogranate...Yum! I actually buy poms when they're in the supermarket (Nov/Dec here in Calgary) and then take them apart and freeze the fleshy seeds (you must all imagine that I have the most outrageous looking freezer). It's amazing what a small handfull of pom seeds can do for a sweet tooth and they thaw really well. My birds also love them.

I wish I could fit into a medium anything...you lucky girl. I know it will come and so far I've gone from a 20 down to a 16 in some things and even a 14 in one skirt. I can't imagine what it will be like to be able to shop all the time in regular stores again...it's been too many years and even the last time I still needed XL.

I tan at Fabutan as I find it makes me feel good to have some colour. Keep in mind in Calgary we get our first snow fall as early as late September and our last snow fall can be te last week of May! Yes that's right people in Canada we have 3 seasons! Winter! Summer! and Hockey Season! LOL

Karen: I agree that many people feel they need to spend a lot of money to feel like they're getting a good product. While I am not a big fan of the No-Name SF knock-offs (they just don't taste the same even though they're quite a bit cheaper) I'm also not going to go and spend hundreds of dollars on a plan. Lots of people lose all of their weight without ever buying a single meal replacement, I can't imagine using a plan that that is all you ever had! I like the convenience of SF and I think even when I hit goal I'll probably always have some around for a quick breakfast or whatever. I even found that I could handle it when I was sick and couldn't keep normal food down...talk about bonus!

I hope you all have a terrific evening!
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #108  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Here is the link for the cheapy bikini at VS - http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...e=M&rfnbr=3690

Tamara - I agree with being on SF for life...I love it and look forward to it every morning! The mediums feel great as does shopping in the normal stores...although I keep spending too much money at the stores and things aren't fitting for very long these days....but I cannot control myself on that aspect.

Oh well....long day tomorrow! Have a great one everybody!
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #109  
Changing My Lifestyle

WooooWeeee! I just got an email from Fiber Gourmet Pasta and they've had a minor problem with some batches of their short cut fettuccine. TOO MUCH FIBER! LOL So they're selling it off at a 40% discount...that's huge!

Here is the link: http://www.fibergourmet.com/FactorySeconds.aspx

Stock up and save a bundle! It's only the plain short cut fettuccine, but still at 21g of fiber per serving and only 120 calories...it's worth getting. I'm placing my order right away!

I had a good day yesterday except that I didn't get any exercise in I had to work both jobs so I just couldn't manage it. I intend to do a 1 hour walk with our pooch tonight and also a 1 hour aquasize class. It'll be interesting to see how my bathing suit fits

Better get started at work, but look forward to hearing from everyone today.

Looks like we're going to start out SF Weekly Weigh-In thread on Saturday morning along with our regular monthly thread. So everyone can WI on Saturdays just for record keeping purposes...and to keep each other accountable. I joined a challenge in the Chicks up for a Challenge (10lbs by Easter), but nobody is posting so perhaps I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be accountable to you ladies...who I KNOW will when I'm not staying on plan but give me when I am!

Cheers,
Tamara

ps...my wedding invitations came from the printer this morning so I can finally get going with getting them out.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Tamara:

Thanks for the info from FiberGourmet... I just ordered a case and am excited to try it..... it looks good. I have had whole wheat pasta before and it tasted like wheat... but this fiber choice sounds good.
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #111  
One pound at a time!

Am I really obese?

According to the SlimFast website BMI calculator I am "obese". According to the calculator I will cease to be obese when I hit 182. Then I will be "overweight". I will not be "appropriate" until I hit 151.
First, I don't feel obese. I am definately overweight, but obese sounds a little strong. Second, is it true that I have to get down to between 115-151 to be labeled "appropriate"? I was thinking 160 would put me at a pretty nice weight.

What do you think? How do you determine what your goal weight should be? Do you agree with the BMI calculators?

Just wondering. Hope you all have a great day.
Beth
Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #112  
Changing My Lifestyle

beth: There are a lot of things that are not taken into account with BMI calculators. The biggest one is lean muscle mass. A bodybuilder would be considered obese or at least overweight by a BMI calculator but it doesn't take into account lean muscle.

I am at 199 right now and am definately obese...obesity is defined by a BMI of greater than 30 and I'm sitting at 34. My goal is 140lbs and that would put me at a BMI of 24 which is at the high end of Normal...almost on the flux of being "overweight". However, that being said, if I get to 150 and am nice and toned and feel good then I'll stop.

I think that the BMI is a good guideline...but that is all it is a guideline. I think it's about how you feel and what your bloodword says. Obviously a sedentary person would want to try and stay in the "normal" range as they're not giving their body the activity it needs. But an active person can be in the "overweight" category and look fantastic. I would say that anything in the high normal or low overweight is drastically better for your health long-term than in the obese category.

Don't let the word obese bug you too much...after all it's actually a medical term used to decribe someone with a BMI of more than 34 and at your weight you'll be in the "overweight" range soon enough! LOL

Tamara
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #113  
is baaaad to the bone!

I'm off track, I'm off track, I'm off track!!! If I must confess...it all started with having too much fun at the beach this weekend, eating out all day saturday & sunday...then anniversary dinner monday night...then out of town today so ate lunch out...ugh...this is not me...and I'm back on track tomorrow...just you know...kick my arse now and yell and scream at me...I'm soooo good at this and rarely have these weak moments...but I'm having it and it's not going away...I didn't even get on the scale today...which is probably the first time ever...ugh.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Amanda, don't beat yourself up so bad!! My goodnes you have done wonderful and tomorrow you will be right back on track. Just look at as a little "BUMP" in the road and keep going!! I know I had to work hard to get myself back but it seems like I'm doing pretty good now. SO I know that you can do it!!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #115  
is baaaad to the bone!

Karen - thanks for the kind words...I just felt the need to confess last night...but I'm back in full swing today...of course mom is begging me to go to the county fair w/her tonight...so we shall see how that goes...and I'm going to the strawberry festival on saturday...but I'm back to wise decisions...and less junk! Just a brief lapse yesterday in the world of "I need chocolate!!!!"

Beth - those words are awful aren't they? Obese and overweight!!! Grrr...but let me tell you - it feels wonderful once you get out of those categories. But heck...I'm still overweight until I hit 162!!! I know I look good where I'm at now...but I could be better. Weird thing is that I'm wearing mediums and am still considered overweight....which I am...I had my Body Fat done at the gym last night and read in at 30.3%...which is actually lower than where I thought it would be...but in any case...from one person who started out obese to another...it feels really good to get out of that category!!! I'm never looking back!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #116  

Good Morning!
Beth, I know how you feel about "obese" I'm just 4'11" and the BMI chart on slimfast only starts at 5' so according to that I have to get below 150 to be out of the obese range! But like Amanda said --- it will feel so good to get out of each of the categories! I remember my brother a few years ago went to the Dr. and he wrote on the chart that he had "X" syndrome. My brother wasn't sure what that was but came home and did research and found out it was obesity! That was an eye opener for him and he started getting real serious about his weight. He says he started getting up at 4:00 am and "waddled" around the block (he didn't want neighbors to see him) And now he has lost over 100 lbs. and runs at least 5 miles each day! So that was his ah ha moment!

Amanda, thanks for link for the bikini. my daugter-in-law is a size 4 and I knew she would really like to check that out. I called her as soon as you posted the link and can you believe they were sold out!!! I guess at that price they wouldn't last long! I had never really thought of them to buy from but I think I will keep them in mind so that when we get back to MO. and I want to spend some time in my brother's pool I can have a nice suit! Still need to lose more weight first though!

I bought the 20 Anniversary Edition of Richard Simmons Sweatin' to the Oldies and got them yesterday. I haven't had the time to watch it yet but I have them opened and jsut as soon as I get a few things done around here this morning I want to watch it. I may put one of the DVD's on just to listen to the music while I get some cleaning done.

Have a good day everybody and I'll check back later today!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #117  
One pound at a time!

The last few days I have been looking into options for joining a gym or taking some classes (aerobics, step, whatever) somewhere near home. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything for less than $40 a month, and was about to give up on that idea. Then I found out yesterday that I can get free passes at work to a gym! And it's the nicest gym in town that is only about 4 blocks from our apartment. It has lots of classes, pool, free towels, all the nice stuff. It's nothing like the cheap $40 a month gyms I was looking at. So I got 3 free passes yesterday and can get more after I use them! I am SO excited! Now I can go for free! While I could easily get into the habit of going there 4-5 times a week for a couple of hours, I don't think that would be great for my marriage! So, I'm going to try to go once maybe twice a week, we'll see how it goes. And I'll keep doing what I have been doing at home the other days.
Did I mention that I'm really excited?!
Beth
Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #118  
Changing My Lifestyle

Amanda: Glad to hear that you're back on track and I didn't have to come all the way down to Florida from the frozen north (we got about 2" of snow last night after being +14 celcius yesterday) to ...Oh wait! Darn, maybe that would have been a good thing! LOL Try to be mindful this weekend with all the activities and food options, but if you have a little slip then just get back at it the next day. Just be careful...I had a hard time getting back on track last summer and it resulted in Aug - Dec totally off the rails and a 7.5lbs gain! So just as long as you don't let a weekend become a week that becomes a couple weeks and so on...You're doing SO well and you're an inspiration to me! Keep it up!

Karen: That's too bad that you DIL couldn't get in on the sale...but VS usually has some pretty amazing deals again after summer to clear out bathing suit stock. I think it's pretty fantastic that your DB lost over 100lbs. Did he use a "diet" as well or just exercise? I'm always curious when I hear about such a substantial loss since at the end of my journey I'll be about 90lbs down I hope. My dad has been overweight all his life but I remember him joining Weight Watchers back in the mid-80's and he went from 240 to 150! He also took up running and played raquetball almost every day. He kept that weight off for a couple of years, but he stopped using the tools he learned from WW and started indulging in fried, rich food again as well as a fair bit of booze and the weight came back on. Now he's probably the heaviest he's been in his whole life...I'd guess somewhere around 300-350lbs and at his age (58 and NO I'm not saying that's old!) he should be taking care of himself as things get harder as you age...so I've been told! He's very much got the mindset..."You only live once", but all I can think is...so, why wouldn't you want to live as long as you can! Let me know what you think of the Sweatin to the Oldies set. I still haven't even cracked my Yoga Booty Ballet and I've had it for 6 months at least.

beth: I pay $40/month to be with Curves, but I'm ok with that for now. My contract is up in June so I think SO and I will join the same club as one of my close friend's hubby goes to as she'll be joining soon as well. She's currently pregnant with identical twin girls (36 weeks along and MASSIVE). Her last child was born at 31 weeks so her OB/GYN who specializes in high-risk multiples is shocked that she's still pregnant. They'll induce her if she makes it to 38 weeks. I'm so incredibly excited about those babies. **more on this below! LOL It's really cool when your employer makes it easy for a person to get active. I think ALL employers should have some program that assists their personnel in keeping active and healthy. Imagine how much money that would save over time. People that are overweight tend to have more health problems long-term...so to keep your employees healthy is going to not only same the company money but also the government health system (who should reward employers who participate). That's just my $0.02! I hope you love the gym...why would it not be good for your marriage if you went a couple of times a week? Surely your SO wants to see you healthy and happy!

OK...continued from above. I love that all of my girlfriends are having babies! I had my DD when I was just 19 and all my friends thought I was nuts...but it was what I did and it was hard, but she's a spectacular kid and I guess with having her so young I get to have fun being the "Cool Mom". It's been really fun and she tells me everything and when she tries to fib I can spot it right away (I told her when she was 2 and from then on that when she lied she got a dot in the centre of her forehead that only I could see, you should have seen her at like 8 years old trying to lie and cover her forehead at the same time) hilarious and it's still somewhere in her subconcious even now cause she gets this look when she's not being truthful). Anyhow as you guys all know I'm getting married June 1/08 and it's to DD's father. We got together in 1991, had DD in 1993 and then separated in 1997. We stayed really good friends and in 2006 we got back together. Our wedding date is the 17th anniversary of our first date! LOL How Old Am I! LOL Anyhow when we were not together I talked to my mom about getting my tubes tied and she said "but what if you meet your dream man and he wants children?" I said "MY Dream man won't want more children...he'll love that we will be able to go travel the world at 40 and DD will be grown and in University". Well I never did get the operation and then when SO and I reunited we both were adamant that we did not want more children we tell DD...Why would we, we did it perfect the first time! Now I get to live vicariously through all of my girlfriends who are having their first and second children (most in their thirties now) and think about how their kids won't even be in school yet and DD will be totally self sufficient...or at least grown up enough that we can go travelling and she can stay home alone. That's a long story but it gives you girls a little more background on me and mine.

Have a terrific day!

PS: Scale still isn't budging even with walking every day and keeping calories below 1300 for the whole week so far. Will have to see what Sat. WI says!

Tamara
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #119  
One pound at a time!

Talking

Hey guys!
First off, Yippee, I made this months goal (see signature). I deserve a dancing carrot: I love those guys!
I am so stoked to have hit the 20 pound mark. I had to weigh myself about 4 times this morning to believe it. I worked SO hard this last week to try to make it, but wasn't sure that I would.
I really never thought I could do this when I started trying to lose weight in November. When I started on 3FC about a month ago, I set 180 as the goal on my profile and ticker and really didn't even think I could do that. Today I updated my goal weight to be 160. It's a little scary to see my ticker change from saying "10 pounds to go" to "30 pounds to go", but now I have more confidence that I can do it. I know I will have set backs and get discouraged, but I need to just stick with it!
Tomorrow starts a new month and I'm excited to start some new goals. My goals for March are to excerise 1000 minutes and to lose 6 more pounds. I need to work hard!
Thank you guys for all your encouragement! I appreciate you a lot.
Keep posting! Do you have any goals for March?
Beth

Last edited by bethbeth; 02-29-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #120  

Hello Everyone! It seems like it is pretty quiet around here today! Sure hope everyone is all OK!

Tamara, my brother did do really good with his weight loss and I'm really proud of him. He told me that he decided to drink the Glucerna shakes because they seemed to be more nutritious. I tried them and I just couldn't get past the taste!! YUCK!! He also told me that he ate lots of salads, and watched his portions. But he is also in the process of writing a book. He has said that he would like to see if what he did would help others. He has a lot written but hasn't got it formalized yet and he is pretty "secretive" about just how he managed to do all this. Even to me and the rest of the family. I LOVE HIM but I wish he wouldn't be so silent about it!!
And I love you story. It is similar to mine. I met my hubby and we got married in 1970. We had two sons and then life kind of happened and we ended up getting divorced in 1982. He went on with his life and remarried and so did I. Well, neither of those marriages worked for either of us. In August of 1992 I called him ( I was living in Kansas at the time) we talked for a few weeks then decided that we really wanted to be with each other. He came and picked me up and we got married again on New Year's Eve 1992. Funny how life works out some times!!

Beth, congrats on meeting your goal this month! I'm still doing some thinking about whether I want to set a goal for March or just take it one weigh in at a time. You have really done great!

Well, I got busy today and I haven't done anything on the Gazelle yet. So guess I'll go and do that and watch Ghost Whisperer too! I'll be watching for the new thread tomorrow and Good Luck to everybody for the new month!