General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #76  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Tamara~
Welcome back!
No, I don't think you are a failure, I think you are smart. Going for a quick loss sounds good, but in the long run probably isn't. My eyes have been wandering to some other things too, but I don't think I could do them. I can't be restricted too much, like you said. I know if I restrict everything, I will crash and burn and probably end up gaining more than I lost.
Anyway, I'm glad you're back with us! And I'm glad you have a SO that is smart and knows you.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #77  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi folks,

didjaever - I've been stagnant too. For me - TOM has been weird this month (perimenopause approaching, I think) and has been probably part of it, but not all. Food has been good - plan-wise, but I've been up and down in small amounts on the home scale. No TOPS this week since all the boys are home but we'll see how it's going next week. Sometimes I find the weight loss journey effortless and other times it's like walking uphill into a gale. Not sure why but you'll persevere and see those results.

Tamara - you can always incorporate some of the Fat Smash ideas into your slimfast plan if they seem to make sense. You are not a failure - you've lost lost lots of weight in the last few months! I know how it feels to want to mix things up a little - I did that last year when flirting with the Sonoma diet. Although it was more successful for me, I do find I do best on the less restrictive style of slimfast. I do eat most of my meals Sonoma-style though so it was a good diversion.

Karen - I find my day plan is stuck to until mid-morning, then I get distracted by something much of the time. I just have to get to it!! Exercise hasn't been great since the boys have the room downstairs in a huge mess.

Well for me it's been a slow week - the boys are home from school which changes routine etc. Generally I've been eating well though and it's been warm and light enough to have the BBQ out which always helps with healthy eating. So I'm feeling good about my plan even if the scale is slow.

take care all,
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

Tamara: Glad you decided to ax the Smash... it doesn't seem too realistic to me... Us SF'ers have to stick together....
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #79  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

beth: I'm very fortunate that my SO is so supportive. He says he thinks I look great already, but it's about how I feel and he understands that. He's great though...I can be like "Hey, I'm going to try this super restrictive plan and eat only vegetarian for 9 days" and he's like "OK...is there anything I can do to help", but when I feel bad for not succeeding he just tells me I'm doing great and that he'll support me no matter what I do as long as I'm happy. That's why I'm marrying him! LOL

LOL didjaever! Agreed!

jax: Nice to see you posting again. Sounds like you have lots going on. I hope things settle down for you soon. The funny thing about the Fat Smash is that I already use most of the principals. I already eat loads of fruits/veggies, lean proteain, low-fat dairy and whole grains! I see now that it was just a super restrictive way of doing what I'm already doing.

On FS I would have only been consuming about 1000-1150 per day which IMO is much too low. I can consistently lose at 1500 so why the heck would I restrict myself that much! I'll tell you why...because just like so many Weight Loss "Programs" they tell you that you can lose XX number of lbs in this short of a time. It's why the "diet" industry is a multi-billion $$ industry. What I've learned is that there is sustainable weight loss done in a healthy manner without "Off Limit Foods/Drinks" and then there are the quick fix plans that restrict what you eat (not necissarily the amounts of food but the types). I do best when I can eat chocolate when I want it and just count it into my day. It's good to know that at 1500 calories I can drop if I hit a plateau or when I get smaller and need to fluctuate my intake to keep losing. At 1000 calories a day...there is nowhere to go.

I'm also making myself a promise to begin my Yoga Booty Ballet. I've been slacking off and only working out 3x a week at Curves so I'm going to up my toning workouts in a bid to look fantastic in my wedding dress for June 1.

Thanks for all the support everyone. I hope you all have a terrific day!

Cheers,
Tamara

Last edited by tleef; 02-22-2008 at 11:09 AM.
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 200/195/135

Hi SFers! I popped in a month ago and popped out. I'm back for good now. I have managed to lose 5lbs over the last month and kept it off. Not a big loss but I will take it.

Thank you for your welcome back in Jan. I look forward to the support.

A little about me- I do follow the SF plan. 2 shakes, snacks, and one meal (vegetarian). I exercise 2 days a week - plan to work up to 5 days. I need to lose 50-60lbs. I live in TN. Married with 1 child. Work part time, self employeed.

Wishing everyone a great weekend. I will check in next week.
Deb
southerndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #81  
Changing My Lifestyle

back southerndeb! We're always glad to have one more slim-faster on board!

Congratulations on a 5lbs loss in one month. That is a nice healthy, sustainable weight loss. There are some terrific vegetarian recipes on the SF site and I have a couple that were on the old site before they revamped it but I had them printed. Let me know if you would like any of them and I'll start a SF Recipe thread.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Cheers,
Tamara

Last edited by tleef; 02-22-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #82  
One pound at a time!

Hi everybody.

Hi Deb! Nice to meet you!

Well, I'm a little dissapointed today. Only lost 1 pound this week and was hoping for 2. I know, I need to stay positive, and know that ANY loss is a good loss. But without putting up a -2 for the week, I'm not sure I'll make my birthday goal next week, as I still need -3 pounds by next Friday. But I'm trying to stay positive and work hard to stay on track this weekend. Who knows what could happen!

Anyway, hope you all have nice weekend on plan!
Beth
Old 02-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #83  
One pound at a time!

Smile

Me again, ha ha!
I've been thinking and have decided that I am going to increase my calories per day from 1500 to 1600 for a week and see how it goes. I've read so many people on this website who say they increased their calories and lost weight. I also feel like my body maybe needs a little more than what it's getting. So...that's my plan, I'm going to bump up to 1600 starting tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 PM   #84  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Tamara - I'm sure the low calories are what gets people off to a quick start on these diets. I remember when I did wave 1 of Sonoma, I was still tracking things with fitday at the time and the first few days were often sub-1000 calories. Sure I lost 8lbs - and didn't feel hungry, 'cos I was eating lots of veggies, but it's not sustainable. Plus if you are already on the weight loss journey you likely don't get the big water loss that generally happens at the beginning, so it's not as great a jump. Still, we know the slimfast works for you since you've done so well to date.

bethbeth - one of the reasons I don't like dated goals is that we beat ourselves up so much when we fail to meet them, if only by a few days. Realistically you'll still be doing awesome to hit that mark at the beginning of March too.

Deb - welcome back, I too haven't been around for a while but have hopped back on the wagon after running alongside for a few weeks now. Good to see so many posts here!

Amanda - the beach, huh? Well not warm enough for bikinis yet and I'm thinking even when at goal I don't want to be baring that stomach - too many stretch marks for my liking, after three kids and carrying the extra weight for so long. A nice cute one-piece is more to my liking! But at least I feel more confident in a swimsuit now, although there's a way to goal still. I actually had to buy a new one last summer as my size 14 was falling off! Woo hoo.

Well today was a good day until the boys asked me to bake cookies. I "only" ate two but still more than today's plan. I'll change supper around a bit to compensate.

Snuggles to all,
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #85  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Ugh. Monday. I'm so tired from my weekend at the beach. I drank a ton, ate a ton (healthy foods though - protein and veggies for the most part) and just overall had lots of fun. I am however exhausted as can be imagined. I actually came home last night and passed out at 9pm (I'm slightly insomniatic...so before 12am is odd for me) and got up for work at 6am...still tired. I didn't get nearly enough sleep this weekend...but a good time was had.

Drumroll please - even though I drank a lot this weekend...I continued to drop...down another 1lb to 170! That means I just have to do a little more work to reach my Feb. goal of being in the 160's! Exciting. The weight has really felt like it is just dropping off lately. I mean...I don't really ever go off plan (except for fun weekends like I just had...but I'm not into deprivation..soo...)and I exercise 5 nights a week....so I guess it's just all about my lifestyle anymore. I hear all the horror stories about the last few pounds being so difficult...I feel like it was the first few pounds. I mean...granted...I still have 15 to go...but hey...I haven't had major troubles up to this point...no plateaus (thank you!) etc....I overall feel really good about my weightloss journey. Okay..enough raving...onto everyone else...

Jax - it's been FOREVER! Sorry to hear it hasn't been the greatest month for you I know you have good times and bad times with this journey...are you working out at all these days? I mean..aside from keeping up with family and kids which although I'm not experienced with...I know must keep you really crazy!!!

Beth - I originally started out at 1200 calories and did an increase to 1400 calories about 2-3 months ago...I did not have any issues with the switch over and have steadily lost anywhere from 1-3lbs per week by keeping at 1400 calories. The fun part with my plan is that even if I go off track like I did this weekend ...I continue to lose because my body responds well to taking in over 1400 calories every now and then...which to me is it telling me it enjoys the change.

Tamara - glad to hear you are over the smashing. While I try not to knock other diets....I just could never be so restrictive with my lifestyle. Seriously...low carb would kill me...do not tell me I can't have something. I just can't forsee myself living a life without something - no sugar?? argh! I'd go insane...I wouldn't have a clue what doesn't have sugar in it??!?!? I just think its way to much work and life should be enjoyed more simply Keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be at wedding goal in no time. I'm sooo happy that you are out of the 200's forEVER!!!

SouthernDeb - welcome!!! Check back as often as you can - I find sooo much support here and new ideas all the time to improve my diet. Reminders to get in the right nutrients etc. I would not be where I am now without this group of fab ladies.

Didjaever - I just figured out how to say your s/n! Ha Good one! In any case..I highly rec. stepping your calorie counts up to 1400. Like I said to Beth - I started out at 1200 and increased to 1400 2-3 months ago and have just continued to lose steadily and did not see any weight gain from the increase in calories. Some days I do have to fight to get in all my calories - but that is mainly because of the foods I eat. I eat high fiber foods and those tend to be lower in calories (fiber is apparently calorie free...so..higher fiber = fewer calories) sooo...long story short...I average probably 1350 calories per day...but I aim to get as close to 1400 as I can each day. I log all my food into thedailyplate.com - I love it. What does your daily food intake consist of? I started out using all the SF products - shakes, meal bars, snack bars..etc...but now I only use the shakes (I actually have got to ditch the other products off on someone else before they go bad) and fill up on other items that have the fiber & protein that I aim to get into my diet each day. Post a sample of your day and maybe we will all give you some ideas.

Karen - snow - yuck! I am not in the least bit jealous of everyone who lives in the snowy areas. Cocoa Beach was beautiful this weekend. The getaway was perfect and I had a great time. It was cloudy...but we had fun nonetheless. Selling your house? I sell real estate for a living...I can't imagine selling it up north cause I hear that house shopping isn't very prominent this time of year...of course...selling here during the summer can be brutal..getting in and out of cars in the heat is awful...but I'm not your normal realtor - I wear flip flops and jeans to work in and if you don't like it...then move on...but I'm successful selling that way...so I guess it's good to be an "everyday" type of realtor...instead of the business suit type...plus....it's a helluva lot more comfy!

April - how are things going? How is the DBF? I Hope everything is better - my fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery.

Well...I think I did enough writing for one day...or one morning...talk to you all soon and make it a great week!
~Amanda
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 180/174/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi all reading your posts, I think I should up my calories, as I seem to have stalled in my weight loss and I am eating between 1100-1200 calories. I bought some slimfast and snacks, for those of you who have been following slimfast what works best to start slimfast? Would you recommend the powder or the liquid cans? Please help.
Thanks

Last edited by AnnCan1111; 02-25-2008 at 09:45 AM.
AnnCan1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

gator:

I actually am down 2 more pounds since increasing my calorie intake last week. I am averaging around 1350-1400 per day. I am not going to change my ticker until the end of the week though. I went to a bday party yesterday and had a slice of pizza and a slice of bday cake...another small slice when I got home but I planned for this most of the week, so I think it will be ok.

I still going to remain faithful to SF. I have a choc. royale shake for BF and a choc chip granola bar for lunch...an afternoon snack...sensible dinner...evening snack. I stopped buying the SF snacks because they were higher in calories than something else I could choose...

My downfall now is almonds... I bought a pound of them thinking I would use these for a small snack and eat 5 or 6 a day but I cannot stop before 20 or more... I am thinking about tossing them in the trash.

Last edited by didjaever; 02-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Amanda your weekend sounds WONDERFUL!! And all that enojoyment and still down a pound! Congrats! We did show the house on Friday but still haven't heard anymore. But today is only Monday. I think I would be like you if I were in real estate---- I have never known why most dress up to much! I would rather be comfortable.

didjaever, Congrats on your 2 pounds loss too! That is great! I really like the chocolate royale shake too. I have that every morning. And at lunch I like to have the french vanilla and put a cup of strawberries in the blender and make a smoothie! YUMMY!!

Anncann, I use the powder shakes but I'm home all the time. I do take the ready to drink cans when going on vacation. I just like the convenience. For a long time our grocery store up here in the mountains didn't carry chocolate royale so I bought the milk chocolate instead, but it isn't as good I don't think. BUT we finally got a Super Wal-mart this past Fall!! So now I have more to choose from.

Tamara, I'm with everyone else, I don't think that I would be able to do the smashing. I think that is why I like SF so much. I kind of like knowing what I'm going to have to eat for 2 meals out of the day but don't know if I could handle everything being completely planned out for me! With the SF there is some freedom there!

jaxjob, I'm really trying this week to get a exercise routine going of something. I have the ab lounge, a mini tramp, treadmill and a gazelle so I should be able to get a mini circuit going here at home!

bethbeth, try not to be so disappointed with one pound--- I always look at it that is one less that needs to be gone! I know I would love to lose 2 or 3 a week but sometimes it doesn't happen that way. For the last several weeks I've been up and down with the same 2 pounds!

Hi deb, Welcome back. I'm still new here too but I've found this to be a pretty good group and lots of support!

Well, guess I'd better get busy. Have a good day everyone!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #89  
One pound at a time!

Hey, it's great to hear from you all!

I have a few things to brag about from this weekend:
--my husband just HAD to stop at Taco Bell for dinner on our way home from running errands, which is my FAVORITE place to eat. I chose not to eat anything, and just watched him eat. I ate when we got home.
--My husband and I played tennis. It was kinda fun.
--I went jogging twice! I usually hate running, but somehow I felt inspired to do it, so figured I should go with it.
--Stayed on plan all weekend. (I ususally cheat a little on the weekend)
--Down another pound!

Amanda~ Great news. It's nice to be able to have fun and still lose!

AnnCan~ Nice to meet you! I actually haven't tried the powder stuff, just use the cans, bars, and every once in awhile a snack bar. I'm shooting for 1500-1600 calories right now, and doing good. I try to get a lot of fruits and veggies every day too. Hope you'll stick around and keep posting!

Talk to you all again soon!
Beth
Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #90  
Changing My Lifestyle

Good Morning Ladies!

Well another week with no loss...still holding at 199. I guess this is my first plateau. Darn it! Oh well I've increased my exercise big time and have started using my stationary bike at home again. Hopefully that will boost things and I'll be able to report a loss when I WI on Saturday. Perhaps I'll do the opposite of what everyone else is doing and drop my calories to 1300 for the week and see what happens. I'm not going to get discouraged because I know that this is how it goes and eventually I'll start dropping again. I still have 3 months until the wedding so I won't get too worked up about it.

Karen: According to your ticker you're doing fabulously dahhhling!

didjaever: You're doing so great! Keep up the good work! Sounds like the almonds may be an issue for you. I find when there is something like that that I have a hard time keeping portions with I make individual snack bags with ONE portion in each and I freeze all the portions. Then I have to thaw them (they usually don't taste as good frozen...LOL) so I find I only eat the portion I've thawed. Maybe try that as I know how expensive nuts can be so to throw out a bag would be a bummer.

AnnCann: I find that one of the best things to do when starting SF is to go onto the SF.com website and sign up. That gives you a meal plan that is easy to follow and you can substitute things that you don't like for things that you do like or even things that you just happen to have in the house. I usually have a shake for breakfast and then a MOG bar and either a sandwich & fruit or yogurt and peanuts for lunch. I usually try to have fruit/veggies and protein for snacks (apple & peanut butter, strawberries & string cheese, dry roasted peanuts & raisins, etc) I have found that the website is a terrific tool and even if I don't want to use SF products for a meal I can at least get the general idea of what I'm supposed to have as far as nutrition goes for each snack or meal. I also log all of my exercise and water intake on the site. I love that I can look back over the last 7 days and see if I'm too low on my fibre intake or protein of whatever...that helps to keep me on track. You'll find lots of terrific recipes as well. I also find that the folks on this forum really help to keep me on track and accountable...the support is amazing!

gatoramanda: You're also doing really well. Congrats on another pound gone forever! I've had weekends like that as well when I ate off plan and still lost a pound or so. I find that every once in a while upping your calories (especially if it's not with "junk") will boost my loss. Keep up the fantastic work!

jax: Good job on only eating two cookies! I figure as long as it fits in the plan and you can compensate with more veggies at dinner and a reduced starch or something then Great! I'm a big believer that in order for a lifestyle to work you can't deny yourself a goodie now and then. That's why it's so ridiculous that I even attempted the Fat Smash. The idea of going without bread/sugar/coffee even just for 9 days was just too much! I much prefer to work in a treat now and then.

beth: Don't get too worried about meeting your birthday goal. ANY LOSS IS BETTER THAN NO LOSS AT ALL and you're doing terrific! I think it may be just what you need to up your intake for a week or so and see what happens. It's good to have goals, but if you're only a couple pounds off your goal of 10 or whatever...you're still that much better off and lighter and healthier than you were when you started. Congratulate yourself when your birthday comes for being a year older and a year wiser/healthier!

I was totally thrilled yesterday whe I grocery shopped and found the Vitalicious muffins in the freezer case at Safeway. I had seen on the Cdn website that Safeway and Shoppers were going to start carrying them. It's just such a pain to have to order online by the case! I bought the Deep Chocolate muffins and they're outstanding. I had one last night as a snack. 100 calories/6 g Fiber/3 g protein and YUMMY chocolate! For those that don't know about them the websites are: USA www.vitalicious.com Cdn www.vitalicious.ca I can't wait until they start carrying more of the products. I'm also curious if Penny's low fat dessert will ever bring their products to Canadian shelves...also Fiber Gourmet Pasta. I'd like to try both before I commit to buying entire cases!

Anyhow back to work. Everyone have a terrific day!

Cheers,
Tamara