General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #46  

Hi everyone!! I'm sure you've all discussed this before -- but do you all stick right to the slimfast plan or have you tweeked it to yourselves? I'm on my second day and have a busy night, so I ate lunch and was going to slimfast my dinner -- do you think that's okay?

You are all doing so well -- even with red lobster, wedding plans, etc. Awesome. Send some of your SF skills my way, okay??

About me -- I'm 37, married for almost 11 years, have two awesome boys and have my own part-time business from home (until I get my youngest to school this fall!!) And, somehow I've managed to gain 100 lbs since I met my husband 13 years ago -- where did it come from???!!!

Last edited by shelby897; 02-12-2008 at 03:01 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #47  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Shelby,

I think most of us tweak the slimfast plan to some degree - at least after a while on it. It's fine to switch your meals around - I met my hubby in town today for lunch (veggie wrap and salad - yum!) so supper will be slimfast for me too. I think Amanda always does it that way. Just keep track of what works and what doesn't and you'll get the most out of slimfasting. That's why the food diary idea is SO important, not just for accountability (although it sure helps me there) but so you can really see what works and what isn't effective.

With you on the weight gain - where does it come from? For me it's been in the 10 years since having kids - my oldest is 10. Nothing fast, just creeping up and not keeping tabs on it. Thus I don't expect it to come off quickly - the reason I set May 1 as a goal is that I started this journey in May last year, so although it's been rocky (ups and downs) I'd like to see one goal met within that year.

Yesterday's day went well, it's good to be back on track.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

How long have you tried SF?? I found that it took a good week before my body adjusted. I now have a shake for breakfast, meal-on-the-go bar for lunch, afternoon snack, sensible dinner and evening snack... I am at about 1200 a day and I am not hungry at all...
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #49  

I agree... the SF snacks are on average 140 calories. There are plenty of 100 calorie snack packs on the market that satisfy me. I especially like the 100 calories bags of microwave popcorn.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #50  

Goingcrazyinky:

Some people might say that I don't eat enough but as long as I eat my 1200 calories a day, I feel fine.

BREAKFAST
SF chocolate royale shake

LUNCH
SF meal-on-the-go bar (usually chocolate chip)

AFTERNOON SNACK
100 calories snack (100 calorie pack or 100 calories yogurt)

DINNER
Lean Cuisine or something that I can make that is about 300 calories

EVENING SNACK
100 calorie snack

I have resisted many temtations over the past several weeks. My boss came into the office one day with fried dough. He asked if I wanted some and I said no... the smell was enough to satisfy me. I said to myself, "why did you say no? Because it was the right thing to do." I have said this line to myself every single time I have felt temptations.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #51  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

I think I did pretty well at Red Lobster...

I ordered a garden salad, skipped the bisquicks(sp?), ordered veggies instead of fries or rice, and had steamed snow crab legs and grilled salmon. Wasn't too thrilled about salmon as it was my first time trying it. So I only ate half. It was just to greasy for my taste. Loved the crab though.

This last week has been tipsy turny as far as my eating went. I managed to get in 5 days of exercise though. A new high for me!!

So I'm back on track today and so far am where I want to be as far as calories go. I usually eat about 1600 a day.

We just got a new apartment... right next door. We went from a studio to a ONE BEDROOM!!! I'm soo excited!! We move in this week!

I'm not a big fan of the SF snacks. I perfer my own as they seem more filling.

I'm glad to hear everyone doing soo well!! welcome to all the newer people... I'm glad to have you onboard our wonderful thread!!
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #52  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Ladies - I'm sitting here recovering from my workout...doing really well this week with them...last week I was kinda bummy and tired (PMS) and that prevented me from giving my all during workouts...I didn't skip any...just didn't stay as long as usual...but doing good now.

I'm half way through my TOM and I have tracked my weight daily since my start (9/27) so I know how my TOM flux with my weight...up a couple of lbs. right when it starts..then down to normal after 2-3 days...thank god for being back to normal...I also generally (fingers crossed) lose a couple of lbs. the last couple of days of TOM...so, yes, TOM is my dear dear friend..

For those with questions about how I eat...here is what I do...it's taken some time and label reading and perusing 3FC for new ideas...etc...but feel free to borrow my plan if you want...I have been very successful with it and can't help but feel like its the best thing in the world:

7:15am - Banana on car ride to work.
8:30am - SlimFast Shake
11:00am - Fiber One Granola Bar (yummy!)
1:00pm - Lunch - Sandwich, Kashi frozen pizza, Fiber Gourmet Pasta w/sauce, Cereal (either Kashi Vive or Fiber One Raisin Bran) some fruit or a veggie worked in here...oh..and when I have a sandwich - Pringles Light...I love chips
3:00pm - something in the 100 calorie range of snacks - 100 calorie pack, mini babybel cheese(50 cals), Sugar Free Pudding (60 cals), melba toast w/ Laughing cow wedge (95 cals)
5:00pm - another snacky item in the 100 calorie range
***7:30-9:30pm**** gym time
9:45pm - Kashi Vive Cereal or Fiber One Raisin Bran

***I eat between 1200-1400 calories/day - usually on the higher end of this***

Notes: I always drink my 8 plus glasses of water a day plus a sugar free fruit punch or two (10 calories)...the cereal, slim fast, fiber one bars are all really high in fiber and essential to my diet. I track my intake every day along with my exercise on thedailyplate.com - it's a life saver. Do I eat out? Yes, once a week...try to be healthy - but considering the sodium in everything out to eat...I assume I go way over the health-o-meter and call that a shot day...but I don't go home and have a huge bowl of ice cream either I don't feel bad on those days...I have to make time for family and friends and for many of us out there...that involves eating out...drinks..etc...I feel I can do that and not screw myself because I do so well every single day. I have dedicated myself to this...getting healthy...being healthy...staying healthy. I have no doubt everyone can do it - yes, willpower is key....you will have doubters and folks that won't help along the way...but bottom line is that I am stronger than that.

By the way - only 20lbs left to go!!!!

Peace
~Amanda

Last edited by SunshineRunner; 02-12-2008 at 10:42 PM.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #53  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh gatoramanda! You're doing so amazingly well! I started at 227 as well (although I didn't join 3fc until 226 so that's what I use for my starting weight. You're such an inspiration to us all. I can't wait to be able to say..."Only 20 lbs left to go". I'll take longer as I'm only 5'4" so my "Ideal weight" is a bit less than yours, but still you're doing so great and you should be extremely proud of yourself. Oh and ps...I hear ya on that TOM thing, I'm always up (like right now) right before and for about the first day or two. I don't get too worked up about it though because I know that once the water retention goes away I'm usually back down the pound or so and then maybe a little more!

aprilcp12344: I'm glad to hear that you did well at Red Lobster. I know what a challenge it can be to try and stay on track while you're out socially with people who aren't watching what they eat. Congratulations on your new apartment! I dislike moving...although I'm thinking that just next door wouldn't be nearly as bad. Hope the moves goes well...keep us updated

didjaever: I think I would probably fall off the wagon if I was only eating 1200 calories a day! Good for you if that's what works. I need way more protein, fibre and greens than you're having in a day, but that's just what works for me. I'm on a 1500 calorie plan and the only time I have ONLY a SF is in the mornings...either a shake or high protein MOG bar. All of my other snacks/meals have lots of other food supplemented with a SF product (usually only at lunch). I also find that if I add berries to my shake on weekend mornings (because that's the only time I work out in the AM) I'm not craving carbs before my mid-morning snack. But like I said...we're all very different and our bodies all have different needs so if what you're doing works for you and you don't feel deprived of anything and you're meeting your Daily Recommended Intake of all your essential vitamins/minerals/etc. then good for you and keep up the amazing work!

Shelby: I think the best plan is the one you stick to! If it works better for you to do a SF meal in the morning, regular meal at lunch and a SF meal (with other food) in the evening...then that's exactly what you should do! Where did the weight come from? Well for me it was bad choices...really bad choices! I was eating out at least once a day (OMG) and never choosing the healthier items. Now the only time I eat out is at Subway (not often but when I do it's a 260 calorie Turkey on WW with no cheese, lots of veggies and low-fat honey mustard) and once every two weeks one of my coworkers and I (she's doing SF and Curves with me) go for Chinese food but only if we've stayed totally on plan and have worked out at least 3 times during the week together! I wasn't working out...EVER! And I have to tell you I was in a vicious cycle....I feel bad about myself so I eat, I gain weight so I feel bad about myself so I eat...and so on and so on. I was 135 when I got pregnant with my daughter (she's 15 now, I was 20), post pregnancy I never got lower than about 160 and between 1998 and 2007 I got up to 227! In 2000 I did the SF plan and went from 205 down to 175, but then stopped eating well and stopped going to the gym and put it back on and then some. I guess at that point I hadn't realized that it wasn't just a diet I needed it was a complete lifestyle change! Today I know the difference!

bethbeth: You'll have to let us know if you find some cute little undies that you never thought 6 months ago or a year ago that you'd ever buy! I found a bunch of clearance stuff a couple of weeks ago and bought a whole bunch of size 16 stuff (even though I know it won't fit for long...but at $5/pants or skirt, how could I say NO! LOL) and my first size 14 that I've had in a long, long time! What a huge NSV! I get to pick up my wedding dress this weekend and I'm anxious to see how it fits. My fiance promised me a pedicure at the spa (one of my favorite things) when I hit 30lbs lost...that's only 2 more lbs! Wooo Hooo!

Jax: You're doing splendidly! A one year goal is amazing. I imagine if I hadn't fallen off the wagon back in August I'd be much closer! I also started just after the Cdn May long-weekend last year so just before my wedding this year (June 1) I'm hoping to have lost the better part of 50lbs...and then before I head to the Dominican in December for my girlfriend's wedding I'm looking to be at goal! SO has already promised me a tummy tuck once I hit goal and stay there for 6 months (talk about a huge reason to get there and stay there)...that would put me summer 2009 for the surgery. I may not need it (although I suspect from the pooch already that I will want it to get rid of the extra skin, stretch marks and tighten the muscles).

Anyhow I hope everyone has a great day. I'm still sitting at 199.5, but TOM is iminent! LOL

Cheers,Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #54  

April -- Congrats on the new apartment -- that will be so nice to have the extra room.

Amanda -- Thanks for posting your day -- that definitely helps me get going in the right direction. I get nervous because it seems like Slim Fast's website is telling me to eat too much!! But I guess at 100 lbs overweight, I can't expect to eat two slim fast bars and a piece of chicken every day!!

So, I'm off to write down a menu for the rest of the week so I can keep better track. Hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by shelby897; 02-13-2008 at 11:05 AM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 AM   #55  

Tamara:

I forgot to mention that when I make a Lean Cuisine for dinner I always make additional veggies. In my 34 years of life I hae NEVER EVER wanted to touch broccolli. I always treated it as a creature from space but since I started dieting, I decided that veggies has to play a more significant role in my life. Guess what?? Where has broccolli been all my life....hehehe
Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #56  
Changing My Lifestyle

didjaever: - I hear that! I used to only eat carrots and corn (both high in starch and sugar)...now I eat green beans, brocolli, peas, spinach, all peppers, all root veggies, snow pea pods, avacados (yes, I know they're a fruit!) and tomatoes as long as they're in something...still don't like the taste of just tomatoes. I think it's important that you add those extra veggies to your LC meal. When I have a frozen dinner (Weight Watchers Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, Michelina's Advantage) I always add a big salad and a whole grain roll to round out the meal.

Hey y'all...I just found a great website with a bunch of low-cal and low-fat recipes. The link is:

http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/local/index.html

There is a second page of low-cal recipes at the bottom and you can also hit "recipes" at the top of the page to access all recipes.

If anyone tries any of them pls let us know so we can all get ideas for what's good. I really love the recipes on the SF site as well....Mmmmm

Cheers,
Tamara
Old 02-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #57  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone. Thanks for all your recent updates and postings!
Happy Valentine's Day.
Last night I went to the grocery store and it was FULL of Valentine's Day junk. I saw a bunch of guys buying chocolates and flowers...how nice for them. I was tempted to buy a bunch of chocolate and eat it all before I even got home...but I stuck to my shopping list of mostly fruits and veggies. I'm going to have to stay AWAY from stores today, though. Chocolate still sounds mighty nice.
This morning my husband surprised me with a box of cookies (not chocolate) and a big carton of fresh strawberries! He knows I have been working hard on my diet, so he thought I would like the strawberries, and that I could probably eat a few cookies. He tried hard, and I am proud of him. One seving of cookies (3) is 140 calories, so I made a new plan for the day so that I can eat one serving (yes, only one) of cookies and strawberries this evening and still come in just under my 1500 calorie goal. It's really not hard if I plan for it.
Anyway, I hope you are all having a great day and successfully fighting the urge to binge on chocolate (or whatever it is that calls to you).
Today another pound bit the dust...
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #58  
Changing My Lifestyle

Default Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

bethbeth: I hear you about the chocolate...mmmmm chocolate. I allow myself one 100 calorie bar of Cadbury dark chocolate about once a week so that's not that hard to work in. You're 100% right though, it's easy to have the occasional treat as long as you alter your day to allow for it. I think it's very sweet that you hubby bought you cookies and strawberries. It's such a bonus when the important people in our lives are on the same page as us and instead of resisting the healthy changes we are making they embrace them. I hear so many sad stories of loved ones that are not supportive or are downright mean. Imagine trying to lose weight and feel better about yourself and your lifestyle and having an SO or other close person try to sabotage it all the time. I can't imagine! My fiance tells me he loves me and thinks I'm sexy regardless of my size. But he also knows that I feel a whole lot better inside when I know I look good on the outside and is very supportive.

I haven't gotten anything for V-Day yet except for some cute text messages that prelude to a nice evening. Of course TOM arrived this morning but I was expecting Mother Nature so it wasn't too big of a shock. I also know that once she's made her visit I'll probably be down another pound or two. LOL

I hope everyone has a good evening with their loves (be it your SO, child, pet or just a good friend). Try to stay OP, but if you can't don't beat yourself up about it...tomorrow is another day and while we may not make the best choices on a day like today at least we know that all of our hard work will not be undone by one poor meal choice or a couple of chocolates.

Cheers, Tamara
Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #59  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Happy Valentine's Day folks,

Well I had my valentine lunch with DH on Tuesday so won't be doing the romantic dinner tonight. But that means not overeating. I was down a little at TOPS this week but not a whole pound so not changing the ticker. Down is down though - good to be heading in the right direction again. I celebrated by buying a huge bag of frozen strawberries to put in my morning slimfast shakes - looking forward to that for tomorrow. Yum!

TOPS has become fun since Christmas too (not that I've been able to go much) with little "themes" each week. This week was about making good choices and keeping a diary. Nothing new but it's fun to do the little scenarios with others. I'm hosting in two weeks and will be dealing with food labels.

tamara and bethbeth - I also like dark chocolate! We often have a big bar in the fridge and I will allow myself one square after supper if the rest of the day has been on plan. It's a treat that is easily worked in and an incentive too. I find with the small bars that it's too easy to eat them all, I have to suck the bigger square and it lasts for a while.

didjaever - I can eat 1200 calories a day no problem in the summer when we grill every day. It doesn't seem so easy in the winter though when the selection of veggies and salad items is small.

shelby897 - remember that you'll probably drop your calorie level as you lose, so starting too low doesn't leave much leeway. You need something you can stick with later too - maintaining is so much harder as you are working to stay still, not buoyed by the scale movement!

That's it for today. The boys have come home loaded with candy and are now out playing in the snow. Gotta get supper moving...
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello Everyone. Hope everybody had a Happy Valentine's Day. I was wondering if anyone has tried the Alli with the Slimfast? Just wondering if it might give a good jump start.
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote