General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #31  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

Hey Slim Fasters~
I've just been trying out the Slim Fast shakes and bars and here are my problems:
1) They seem to have a ton of sugar, and not enough protien or fiber.
2) I haven't been eating enough fruits and vegetables because I've been eating the shakes and bars and I think this is why I have stopped losing weight.
3) I get really hungry, which makes me want to just eat everything in sight later.

Any suggestions for how to do better? I do like Slim Fast in that it is easy to get and cheap.
Thanks.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #32  
Changing My Lifestyle

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi bethbeth...Welcome to the SF Thread!

Have you checked out he SlimFast.com website? They actually do a menu plan for you that you can play with if you don't like what's on for that day.

I keep track of every single thing that I put in my mouth on that site as well as my water intake and exercise. The bars are definately higher in sugar and lower in protein and fibre than say an Atkins bar...but for me they work in combination with the other foods that are recommended in my meal plan. I can look at a single day's intake and find out if I'm low in protein/fibre/calories/etc. or too high in fat/calories/etc. I also love that I can do a 7 Day average that shows how I'm doing weekly. I love that I can eat six times a day and I love all the food that I eat in a day. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, lots of whole grains and a good amount of lean protein. I don't forbid any food...if I want chocolate I have chocolate, I just add it in to that day's count.

If you're getting hungry during the day you're not eating enough! Try eating lots of low calorie/high density foods. Salad are a great example of this. The OLD SlimFast plan was 2 shakes a day and a sensible dinner, but the sheer deprivation of a diet like that made it too hard to stick with and while lots of people had short term success...long term success was hard to obtain. The nutritionists and researchers got together and developed the new and improved SF plan which allows for a lot more food with still a modest weight loss of 1-2 lbs per week.

I have managed to lose 25lbs using SF...I'm never hungry (unless I wait too long for a meal/snack) and I've got more energy than I have in quite a while. I work out 3x week and even with that I can feel the difference in my body and energy levels. I started SF at the end of May 2007 and by July 2007 had lost 22lbs (226lbs to 204lbs). I stopped using the plan and started to make bad choices (although I don't think I really started to regain until late fall 2007) that I knew where bad choices and put back on 7.5lbs (back to 209.5). I restarted my diet almost 4 weeks ago and have already lost the weight I put back on plus a little (currently sitting at 201.5).

I know the program works, but I also know that when I don't eat as much as I'm supposed to I get hungry and Hunger=Disaster! I hope you'll go and check out the site and see what a daily menu plan for you should look like. Even if you decide not to use it as your daily log you can get some great recipes and ideas for snacks that will help fill you up without a ton of calories.

Cheers,
Tamara
tleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #33  
One pound at a time!

Thanks a lot Tamara!
You're doing great on your wedding goal! I got married 7 months ago! Marriage is awesome!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #34  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Beth - I highly recommend looking at things outside of SF for your snacks. I only use the SF Shakes - I have one every single morning for breakfast - I have lost 52lbs since Sept. 23, 2007...wowza! SF plus a calorie goal of 1400, lower fat (I don't count, I just look for reasonable), lower sodium (under 2400 mg per day is what I strive for), and HIGH Fiber (this is the key for me - I get at least 35-40 grams/day)...have you tried Fiber One Granola Bars - I feel that they are like having a great dessert - yet they have 9 grams of fiber...I have one of those almost daily....I also go for whole grains and high fiber products, try my best to get in a couple of servings of fruits/veggies each day...and I workout 5 nights/week....it used to be really tough..now it's just great....you can read my blog for a sample meal plan

Good luck!
~A
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #35  
Changing My Lifestyle

I agree with gatermanda...I very rarely use SF products as my snacks, although once in a while I'll have a SF muffin bar. For the most part my snacks consist of fresh fruits and veggies or high fibre items. In Canada I just can't seem to find a lot of the products that you lucky folks get down south. My mom and sister live in MO, so sometimes I can convince them to send up a box with a bunch of stuff in it. I wish I could find this laughing cow cheese so many talk about but so far...no go.

There are a bunch of snack ideas on the SF website that DO NOT consist of SF products. Like Blueberries, Banana & Yogurt, Graham Crackers & Peanut Butter, Raisins & Almonds, Whole Grain Crackers & Veggies, Etc.

Hope everyone is doing well...I have my SF WI tomorrow and am finally going to get my measurements done (haven't since July or August 07). I'll update on Sunday.

Cheers,
Tamara
Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning everyone! Happy to see that everyone is doing good! I was happy to get on the scales this morning and I'm back down to my ticker weight! WHEW!! Got to get more serious about getting in the exercise!! Hope everyone has a good day!
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #37  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Tamara, you can get laughing cow cheese at Superstore, no frills, and stores that sell presidents choice items. It is where the specialty cheeses are sold. Like havarti and things like that.
Also check walmart you might be able to get it there. I haven't checked there.
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #38  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Well... I had a poor week eating wise...

But...

I still managed to lose another 1 1/2lbs to meet my V-Goal 4 days early...

YAYS!!

Today is Red Lobster day... Wish me good luck!!

Hope everyone is doing great!!

Have a happy Sunday!
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I use Slimfast along with calorie counting. I reached my goal doing this and am still using Slimfast to maintain.Slimfast has a menu plan on their website, it is worth checking out.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #40  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

bethbeth - Slimfast stopped being effective for me when I began to use too many of their products. I do best on it with just the two meal replacements each day (sometimes only one) and using fruits/veggies as my snack, often combined with a little protein too. I do like the whole grain muffin bars and they are good if I'm rushed, but generally I find if I have too much slimfast product I do get hungry.

Well I was up on my TOPS weigh in, but now feel back in the loop again and ready to attack this properly. I restarted using the slimfast journal pages (printed from the website) - they are one of many tracking tools I've used, and probably the most successful. I did like fitday.com but found it too restricting to always have to be online to log (can't use the downloadable version since I have a mac) and have a good feeling for the food breakdowns now.

I have redesigned my goal and ticker too to reflect that. I want to be down to 155 (non-overweight BMI) by the beginning of May. Looking forward to it.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #41  

Room for one more?? I started Slim Fast today -- again. I did it for a while last year and did really well but got a little too cocky I guess and thought I could do it on my own. Well, 30 pounds gained since I guess I was wrong

So, this morning I'm back on their website, hit the store to stock up and hope to end this year at my goal.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #42  
Changing My Lifestyle

Default Onederland! ! !

Hi everyone! Well my weigh in on Saturday for SF website and Curves was 200lbs...but on Sunday when I hit the scale (can't seem to kick that terrible weigh every day habit)...I was 199.5! Wooo Hooo

Newlifestyle: Thanks so much...I'll check out Superstore and see if I can find it.

aprilcp12344: I hope that things went well for you at Red Lobster, but it sounds like you're doing really well.

jaxjob: I'm in full agreement. When I depend too much on the SF products I can find myself looking to graze even between snacks. I'd much rather have a snack that's higher in protein or fibre than one of the SF snacks although I do keep them on hand "just in case". I also find that some of my best days are ones that I have a turkey sandwich, big salad and hard boiled egg for lunch as opposed to SF bar and ________. I love the convenience of the SF products...but sometimes I'd much rather eat "normal" food...the kind of thing I'll be eating when I hit maintenance...and other times I'm so thankful for the ease of the products. I very rarely eat SF products for snacks though.

shelby897: There is always room for more! Tell us a little about yourself.

I haven't updated my ticker as I'm getting a bunch of little x's instead of pictures right now. Will try again later.

Everyone have a terrific day!
Cheers,
Tamara

Last edited by tleef; 02-11-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #43  
One pound at a time!

Tamara~
Congratulations and welcome to Onederland! What an exciting milestone!

Shelby897~
Welcome to the SlimFast thread. Glad to have you!

As for me, I'm doing well. After several weeks of no real exercise, I am back on track and working out again. And I've lost 2 pounds!

Keep in touch everybody!

Beth

Last edited by bethbeth; 02-11-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #44  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

BethBeth - Glad to see you back on track with your exercise - I find it best and easiest for me to schedule it...if not, I'm just not going to do it...it's how I have worked up to 5 nights/week X 2 hours per night. I'm actually starting to schedule in classes as well - this week it is Yoga & Cardio Kickboxing...I have never taken yoga - but the cardio kickboxing instructor at my gym is one tough cookie...mmmm...cookies...just kidding!

Tamara - Congrats!!! Now you have to keep checking back in with us and don't leave us hanging for months - we want to see you in the 180's soon!!! Don't stress about weighing every day - I don't know how you handle it - but it keeps me on track personally. I know - som people think it a bad plan...but hey - there is research out there that says people who step on the scale daily are actually more in tune with their weight and work harder to get to goal...not sure where I read that at - but I read it - and I'm doing well by weighing daily.

Shelby - Welcome! :hugs: Join our group and check in often - there is alway something to chitty chat about and lots of encouragement here.

April - how did Red Lobster go?

Karen - how are you doing? Not hearing from you as often as in the past...

As for me - I'm donig fine - TOM is here so scale is up a little - but that always drops off for me in a day or two...yay for knowing my flux. Weighed in for the Kmart Challenge on Saturday and was down 7lbs since last weigh in - 2 weeks ago....I'm bound and determined to win some of that cashola they are giving away. Went shopping on Saturday afternoon and got a new haircut (which I love by the way...simple layering...but it was a good cut...can't ask for more than that!) and I bought size 12 jeans from Express & American Eagle (clearance $20 jeans at that ...since I plan on getting down one or 2 more sizes)...in any case..that was wonderful!

Keep up the work ladies!
~Amanda
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #45  
One pound at a time!

Amanda~
52 pounds lost is amazing! You can be proud of yourself! And it's great to hear that you are treating yourself to new haircuts and new jeans! I think new clothes and haircuts really help us feel good about ourselves...which helps us lose more weight! My plan is to buy new underwear when I hit my birthday goal...I'm looking forward to it!